Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:41 am

I've seen people pay more for less.

It's an Italian superbike man.
I remember when people lot $20k was :fullretard: for a motorcycle and that was only like 5 years ago :wap:

I look forward to seeing and hearing them at track days though. I hope it's a successful bike for them - and I'm interested to see if they put the V4 in anything else (streetfighter or :gtfo: )
:dat:

The $18K+ price tag kept me off Ducatis for a loooong time. I only paid $7600 for a 1989 GSXR like this one and I think it was my favorite bike ever:

Now that everything costs more and bikes are so much more advanced a $20K price isn't surprising, and a $27K Ducati V4 that does what it does is pretty much a bargain. MSRP on my Monster 1200R was like $20k, but I paid $17K and change happily.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 am

Zilch, whats the link you posted for sprockets? Im striking out searching for them.
http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprock ... -2017.html

I ran a Superlite 14T front and 36T rear with whatever cheap non-oring chain they had.
I think I'm going 14/35 for now. they don't have the cheap rear in a 36, and with the extra power I might actually get to use a couple of those MPH.

NVM, spend 8 more for the lighter sprocket and free shipping and get 36T. If its too much reduced i can always put the 15T front back on,
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 am

http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprock ... -2017.html

I ran a Superlite 14T front and 36T rear with whatever cheap non-oring chain they had.
I think I'm going 14/35 for now. they don't have the cheap rear in a 36, and with the extra power I might actually get to use a couple of those MPH.

NVM, spend 8 more for the lighter sprocket and free shipping and get 36T. If its too much reduced i can always put the 15T front back on,

Mine was never intended to spend much time at 55+mph. I prefer to be moving faster than the flow of traffic - getting run over from behind on the Grom was always one of my biggest concerns. Therefore didn't spend much time anywhere on it that required those speeds.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bike-again

Harley-Davidson Struggles to Get America Biking Again
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bike-again

Yep.. So many :rudy: types don't even get a drivers license until they are in their 20's.

When I was a kid the wait from 15 until I could get my permit at 15.5 and license at 16 was unbearable.

Add to this that most kids are pussies today and won't ever think about riding something as unsafe as a motorcycle.... The whole industry is going down.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bike-again

Not surprising as the global motorcycle market was down as a whole last year with most manufacturers selling less bikes that the year prior. I still believe Harley isn't doing enough to garner interest from younger buyers as their current customer is dying off and are also facing additional pressure from Indian.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I don't see the point of a new Harley. Even if you want a harley, they've been the same for 80 years so just buy a used one...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 am I don't see the point of a new Harley. Even if you want a harley, they've been the same for 80 years so just buy a used one...
The fact that you said this proves you don't see the point of a new Harley.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Harley pretty much overhauled every bike in the last 2 years.

Touring bikes got new motors for 2017 with a frame redesign a couple years before.
Dyna models were killed for 2018.
Softails were completely new for 2018, new frames and motors.

Something like 13 or 14 new models for 2018 with a commitment of 100 new models over the next 10 years. Pretty much every good reason to buy a new Harley today if you have the money and like the bikes/brand. This is going to be a struggle for them though since the market is shrinking like crazy. This is why they did a major push in sponsorship for the X-Games last week and I'm sure you will see a lot more of their "Freedom" campaign.
troyguitar

Do they perform on par with a foreign bike at the same price yet or are you still paying for the image and badge?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am Do they perform on par with a foreign bike at the same price yet or are you still paying for the image and badge?
Depends on your metrics.

I would rather own and ride my Harley than the more expensive Yamaha bike or BMW that might be considered a competitor.

Torque is awesome and I like it.
troyguitar

Metrics like... anything objective at all? :lolol:

What's a harley got that a foreign bike of equal MSRP doesn't, a higher chrome to weight ratio?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am Metrics like... anything objective at all? :lolol:

What's a harley got that a foreign bike of equal MSRP doesn't, a higher chrome to weight ratio?
Torque.

Being a US company.

Incredible aftermarket.

Awesome fan base and community.

If you really give a shit you can go look, but I know you're just trying to be Troy and don't really care. My bike has no "chrome" on it, and many models don't now.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:48 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am Metrics like... anything objective at all? :lolol:

Torque.

Being a US company.

Incredible aftermarket.

Awesome fan base and community.

If you really give a shit you can go look, but I know you're just trying to be Troy and don't really care. My bike has no "chrome" on it, and many models don't now.
Mostly all of this. As much as I hate on Harley - they're very good bikes for their intended purpose. If one was in the market for a cruiser or tourer, you'd be foolish to not at least consider one.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Said already elsewhere, but if it were just me I had to worry about on a bike I'd have bought one years ago. But when I drive and look around all I see is people :derp: ing around on their cell phones and not paying attention. If I lose control and hit a tree that's on my, but it seems like once a week I see a news article about someone on a bike being killed by some dumb fuck who wasn't paying attention. :nope:
troyguitar

At first glance a new gold wing is better in almost every metric and equal in peak torque to a road king... but whatever, HD people are HD people and feelings >> :fax:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 am At first glance a new gold wing is better in almost every metric and equal in peak torque to a road king... but whatever, HD people are HD people and feelings >> :fax:
:dat: Harley narrow mindedness
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:28 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 am At first glance a new gold wing is better in almost every metric and equal in peak torque to a road king... but whatever, HD people are HD people and feelings >> :fax:
:dat: Harley narrow mindedness
Definitely. Harley and Goldwing totally provide the same experience.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 am Said already elsewhere, but if it were just me I had to worry about on a bike I'd have bought one years ago. But when I drive and look around all I see is people :derp: ing around on their cell phones and not paying attention. If I lose control and hit a tree that's on my, but it seems like once a week I see a news article about someone on a bike being killed by some dumb fuck who wasn't paying attention. :nope:
It’s really not that bad IMO. To a certain degree I feel more in control when in traffic on a bike. Likely mostly due to heightened situational awareness :doe: More control over placement in within the flow of traffic too. :iono:

I certainly understand people’s misgivings, just wish more people would at least give it a try.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am It’s really not that bad IMO. To a certain degree I feel more in control when in traffic on a bike. Likely mostly due to heightened situational awareness :doe: More control over placement in within the flow of traffic too. :iono:

I certainly understand people’s misgivings, just wish more people would at least give it a try.
Oh I've tried it. I rode my friend's little cruiser around their neighborhood a couple times, and after each ride I couldn't stop thinking about getting a motorcycle for weeks on end. But I'm just terrified of idiots plowing into me while I'm stopped at a light or something else stupid ending my life prematurely. I don't ride my road bike on any actual roads anymore, either.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am It’s really not that bad IMO. To a certain degree I feel more in control when in traffic on a bike. Likely mostly due to heightened situational awareness :doe: More control over placement in within the flow of traffic too. :iono:

Oh I've tried it. I rode my friend's little cruiser around their neighborhood a couple times, and after each ride I couldn't stop thinking about getting a motorcycle for weeks on end. But I'm just terrified of idiots plowing into me while I'm stopped at a light or something else stupid ending my life prematurely. I don't ride my road bike on any actual roads anymore, either.
Fair points. I tend to avoid stopping the sandwich zone between the car in front and rear of me. Obviously not full proof, but keeps me from getting smashed and gives me an escape root if I see someone barreling towards the stopped traffic from behind.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Fair points. I tend to avoid stopping the sandwich zone between the car in front and rear of me. Obviously not full proof, but keeps me from getting smashed and gives me an escape root if I see someone barreling towards the stopped traffic from behind.
Yes, this is the only thing I like about California laws these days..... Lane splitting/filtering is legal here. Creep through the stopped cars and find a safe spot to stop in traffic at lights.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Yes, this is the only thing I like about California laws these days..... Lane splitting/filtering is legal here. Creep through the stopped cars and find a safe spot to stop in traffic at lights.

Filtering, at the very least, should be legal everywhere.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 am

Yep.. So many :rudy: types don't even get a drivers license until they are in their 20's.

When I was a kid the wait from 15 until I could get my permit at 15.5 and license at 16 was unbearable.

Add to this that most kids are pussies today and won't ever think about riding something as unsafe as a motorcycle.... The whole industry is going down.
+1. Even the Chinese wont be able to save this. Will Trump LOL ??? :) :trollface:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

More Harley news. Closing the Kansas City plant.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/h ... ity-plant/