Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm

The first cars were more akin to trucks really. They were designed to be able to drive through serious mud bogs since most roads weren't paved at that time. Yeah I'm not sure how/why sedans became popular. Probably just because early cars had no real locking cabs so you had a trunk in the back to lock things into, and that evolved with the vehicle overall.

I like my sedan, really I do. I like having a separate trunk space that's always out of view and the ability to pack 4 people plus a lot of crap in the trunk at the same time. But man that truck just fucking swallowed that ditch. Ground clearance matters. And the Tiggy has balloon tires with massive sidewall, that helps as well.
Man, you guys in the Northeast....your car decisions are literally dictated by crumbling infrastructure.....that makes you the same as Mexico and other third world nations. Sad!
The struggle is real. Bent wheels are common on sporty cars. Every spring the roads are a minefield for 3 months before they get fixed. I’ll try and snap some :millennial: on the drive home.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Man, you guys in the Northeast....your car decisions are literally dictated by crumbling infrastructure.....that makes you the same as Mexico and other third world nations. Sad!
The struggle is real. Bent wheels are common on sporty cars. Every spring the roads are a minefield for 3 months before they get fixed. I’ll try and snap some :millennial: on the drive home.
I think ya'll are exaggerating. Yes shit sucks potholes are everywhere. But it is what it is... That's the downside of actually having a car that can make a turn and stop. Otherwise might as well drive a pod.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 am 4th gen Fraud Focus

Looks like a Hyundai
IDK whatever. 8AT this time around, so the powershit is gone. Ecoboost engines likely, 1.5T has been listed.
Some active safety features and quieter interior and all.

Nobody cares, not a CUV.
Who will buy this... :whocares: No one in the US that is for sure.
Where is the BRONCO
Where is the NEW RANGER
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:dat:

Bent wheels are common on anything with a short sidewall, i.e. pretty much all cars.

Part of why I love the :truk: is the ZFG nature of motoring over the surface of the moon.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm

I think ya'll are exaggerating. Yes shit sucks potholes are everywhere. But it is what it is... That's the downside of actually having a car that can make a turn and stop. Otherwise might as well drive a pod.
You're welcome to come out and visit :popcorn:

Detroit has it worse.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 am 4th gen Fraud Focus

Looks like a Hyundai
IDK whatever. 8AT this time around, so the powershit is gone. Ecoboost engines likely, 1.5T has been listed.
Some active safety features and quieter interior and all.

Nobody cares, not a CUV.
Who will buy this... :whocares: No one in the US that is for sure.
Where is the BRONCO
Where is the NEW RANGER
Exactly. Wrong car at the wrong time.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Bent wheels are common on anything with a short sidewall, i.e. pretty much all cars.

Part of why I love the :truk: is the ZFG nature of motoring over the surface of the moon.
I've seen the light. I want a trucklet. That will be the next car for sure. Maybe one of those new Rav4's. They look alright.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Friend just ordered a Crosstrek for these very reasons. It's the perfect :derp: vehicle. Plenty of sidewall and suspension travel for our shit roads, but still handles acceptably well. Has no :balls: but she's coming from a 2008 Versa so just about anything feels faster than that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm Friend just ordered a Crosstrek for these very reasons. It's the perfect :derp: vehicle. Plenty of sidewall and suspension travel for our shit roads, but still handles acceptably well. Has no :balls: but she's coming from a 2008 Versa so just about anything feels faster than that.

Yeah no power and a CVT :nothanks:
Its alright otherwise.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm Friend just ordered a Crosstrek for these very reasons. It's the perfect :derp: vehicle. Plenty of sidewall and suspension travel for our shit roads, but still handles acceptably well. Has no :balls: but she's coming from a 2008 Versa so just about anything feels faster than that.

And it has nearly 9" of ground clearance. It is the perfect :derp: mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:

Yeah no power and a CVT :nothanks:
Its alright otherwise.
Versa is also a CVT, it's what she's used to. And the Crosstrek has a much better one.

For someone who gives a shit about driving the drivetrain combo is a deal breaker, but for most it's perfectly adequate.

ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 pm

I've seen the light. I want a trucklet. That will be the next car for sure. Maybe one of those new Rav4's. They look alright.
I'm actually :mindblown: at how :notbad: the new RAV4 looks. I get it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Detroit has it worse.

Come put your money where your mouth is.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Yeah they seem ok-ish. 8AT and 200 HP 2.5L NA engine. :notbad: running gear overall, and they now look like mini Tacos so :iono:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Detroit has it worse.

Come put your money where your mouth is.
Potholes are fake news brah.
Meanwhile my boss won't take his C7 out for another 2 months despite weather being perfect right now. All due to road conditions.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm
Yeah they seem ok-ish. 8AT and 200 HP 2.5L NA engine. :notbad: running gear overall, and they now look like mini Tacos so :iono:
They are just going to be such gutless piles tho... ~3600-3700lbs and basically a 4 banger with no torque... it'll be slow as balls and rev'ing into the sky to keep up with traffic. :disgust:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm

They are just going to be such gutless piles tho... ~3600-3700lbs and basically a 4 banger with no torque... it'll be slow as balls and rev'ing into the sky to keep up with traffic. :disgust:
I'm interested to hear how it is at least. I'd prefer a V6 or over 240 HP but meh. If it can get to 60 under 8 seconds it's perfectly fine. GF's Tiguan is 7.7 seconds to 60 and feels fine. Even I hardly ever rev it out all the way. It sucks to drive because of torque steer, which shouldn't be a problem in an AWD car.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm interested to hear how it is at least. I'd prefer a V6 or over 240 HP but meh. If it can get to 60 under 8 seconds it's perfectly fine. GF's Tiguan is 7.7 seconds to 60 and feels fine. Even I hardly ever rev it out all the way. It sucks to drive because of torque steer, which shouldn't be a problem in an AWD car.
Um... well you're talking a boosted engine optimized for low end TQ vs na in a bigger and heavier vehicle... no way will it be under 8... also it isn't about that in particular no one smashes these things around like that... but it needs to not be at 4000-5000 to keep up with an Odyssey
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Um... well you're talking a boosted engine optimized for low end TQ vs na in a bigger and heavier vehicle... no way will it be under 8... also it isn't about that in particular no one smashes these things around like that... but it needs to not be at 4000-5000 to keep up with an Odyssey
I know this vehicle will get a lot of hate from an enthusiast forum. :aintcare: Still interested to hear how it drives. I don't care if it needs to rev to move, as long as it does in fact move. I won't access 200 HP driving around Philly streets, I'll access it on highway ramps where any car would be revving out anyway.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:13 pm https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... ul-engine/

Some 2019 Miata deets leaking

181 HP (+26 HP)
151 lb-ft (+3 lb-ft)
Possibly increased redline
Telescoping steering wheel! :fuckyeah:

:notbad:
More revs mean more :lolol:

I'm on board with this.
Yeah sounds :notbad:
There's no reason to upgrade if you currently have an ND, just get a header and exhaust for it. But buying new it certainly is attractive. However, used vs new on these is a huge price difference because they depreciate really hard.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm
It looks good in adventure trim.

For a MTB and :doge: hauler it's pretty perfect.
I think the correct background is city... and pool of bum pee vs water :hubba:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm

I know this vehicle will get a lot of hate from an enthusiast forum. :aintcare: Still interested to hear how it drives. I don't care if it needs to rev to move, as long as it does in fact move. I won't access 200 HP driving around Philly streets, I'll access it on highway ramps where any car would be revving out anyway.
It is not really getting hate... but how is that better than a Crosstranny? It offers more of everything you don't need. :lol: more expensive, more size, more weight.

Also it'll likely have less ground clearance.

I find a cross tranny to be quite a utilitarian vehicle, Desert told me to get my headexamined pre/post suicide.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm
It looks good in adventure trim.

For a MTB and :doge: hauler it's pretty perfect.
Yeah that's the one. In :millennial: blue too. Would haul :doge: and MTB just fine. 180" long so it's same size as my car but has a hatch and at least some off roading capability, ground clearance, and suspension travel. Just anxious to see if 200 HP and the 8-speed is "enough". 180 HP and 9 gears doesn't work all that well for the tiny Jeeps.
max225

AWD Rav 4 Adventure is 29k msrp... And it has options on top of that
AWD Crosstranny starts at 22k
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 pm

It is not really getting hate... but how is that better than a Crosstranny? It offers more of everything you don't need. :lol: more expensive, more size, more weight.

Also it'll likely have less ground clearance.

I find a cross tranny to be quite a utilitarian vehicle, Desert told me to get my headexamined pre/post suicide.
Do not want CVT. Can't do it. Also they're slow as molasses at 10 seconds to 60. But I do like them overall, just throw a more powerful motor and a 6 or 8 speed geared auto and I'd be down. Which is basically what the Rav4 is :notsure: