Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Filed claim but they haven't called me to set up a meeting. Lady said someone will call me by 5PM tomorrow to set it up.
Debating if I even care where they do the work. I will end up :plac: this car sooner than later. There's no fucking point to being an auto enthusiast in this place and parking that much money on the street.
:dat:

If I lived in the city I'd be driving something with unpainted bumpers.
:jeep: :jeep:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:38 pm
troyguitar wrote:The question is not whether to :plac: but when to :plac:

Ain't no :mahtroy: gonna keep the same stuff for eternity, and the cars that I actually like are only getting older and harder to find in good condition.
Bail on that 2k a month for a little while and load up on two or three cars to keep forever.
:notsure:

I've got neither the space, nor the cash, nor the time to properly store and maintain anything that I'd actually want to keep forever at this point. That's a bare minimum of $100k cash plus 3+ car climate controlled garage/shop and a lot of extra cashflow+time in insurance+maintenance. Maybe in 10 (yeah right, try 20) years that'll be reasonable, not today.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:40 pm

I test drove one. Was pretty turd tastic. Do not want.
:sass:
Handled like crap, crap interior, rattles everywhere because old, rode harsh, and on top of that it was slow for all the hype this thing generates (the one I tested was an automatic I have no interest in a MT version of this). IIRC it's like 7.5 seconds to 60 with the auto, but take away the launch and roll start and it's a dog. Same engine as my car yeah but only makes 210 HP, 230 HP in later models.

I could look at them again but I was pretty meh on it.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:08 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Totally.

Steel bumpers front and rear and a LED bar for blinding assholes who don't GTFO. :aintcare:

Or crangslist replacement bumpers with take-offs from Mall-Crawlers for cheap.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Totally.

Steel bumpers front and rear and a LED bar for blinding assholes who don't GTFO. :aintcare:
Painted bumpers, unpainted bumpers, :whocares:
That expensive steel bumper will get dented easier than the plastic ones will and will likely multiply the damage. Just won't scuff. I have no issue replacing bumpers every few years. But I have a hard time dealing with all the asshattery that comes with parking your vehicle outside for everyone to fuck with.

I tried telling myself I wouldn't get upset at street damage with this car but this is fucking ridiculous. People fucking suck.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Totally.

That expensive steel bumper will get dented easier than the plastic ones will and will likely multiply the damage. Just won't scuff. I have no issue replacing bumpers every few years. But I have a hard time dealing with all the asshattery that comes with parking your vehicle outside for everyone to fuck with.

I tried telling myself I wouldn't get upset at street damage with this car but this is fucking ridiculous. People fucking suck.
Getting egged is above and beyond typical street parking shit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I'm just starting to catch up.

Fuck Johnny. That is so :rage: :bs: shitty. :(
Sorry this happened to you.
Agree that a beater is a good call for you. That, or a place with a garage...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Getting egged is above and beyond typical street parking shit.
My thoughts as well but it happened. Wouldn't have happened if I had off street parking or a garage which I can't have in the city. Meaning I can't actually give any shits about my car if I live in the city, so why the F am I parking a $35k pile of dead presidents on the street every night?
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am Beater recommendations?
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable
-Preference for automatic and larger motor
-Street parkable so 180" in length or less is desirable
-Needs at least a back seat, back doors would be ideal

I also can't deal with cars that have horrible body control. The older Wranglers and Panther frame cars are totally out of the picture. Older SUVs might too. Too much swaying or floaty suspension will cause me to barf even if I'm driving.
V6 Saturn Aura or last gen Vue, also V6. GM cheap. GM reliable. GM parts availability. Saturn worthlessness so :fullretard: cheap. Can be serviced at any Chebby or Buick dealer in the country if necessary. Mid-late 2000's Opel chassis tuning (sort of) so not completely Camryesque driving misery. Our Aura is 10 years old this month and has been very reliable. It's got the !4 doe but still.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable

I also can't deal with cars that have horrible body control. The older Wranglers and Panther frame cars are totally out of the picture. Older SUVs might too. Too much swaying or floaty suspension will cause me to barf even if I'm driving.
DSG GTI. /bread

:trollface:
:notbad:
Honestly. Your previous experience will likely not be repeated.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:49 pm
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable

V6 Saturn Aura or last gen Vue, also V6. GM cheap. GM reliable. GM parts availability. Saturn worthlessness so :fullretard: cheap. Can be serviced at any Chebby or Buick dealer in the country if necessary. Mid-late 2000's Opel chassis tuning (sort of) so not completely Camryesque driving misery. Our Aura is 10 years old this month and has been very reliable. It's got the !4 doe but still.
Vue is good but only if you get the one with the GM V6 and not the Honda V6 - the Honda transmission is made of glass.
wap

MK6 JSW 2.5? Wagon utility, 2.5L reliability. Decent drive.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:52 pm
wap wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Vue is good but only if you get the one with the GM V6 and not the Honda V6 - the Honda transmission is made of glass.
I'm talking the later years for the 2nd gen View. What years did it come with a Honda trans? For a short while Chevy sold a version of this called the Captiva. I suspect they just rebadged a few left over Saturns just to sell them. Probably also worthless now.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm talking the later years for the 2nd gen View. What years did it come with a Honda trans? For a short while Chevy sold a version of this called the Captiva. I suspect they just rebadged a few left over Saturns just to sell them. Probably also worthless now.
The Captiva was just sold for fleets and rentals...to keep the Equinox from flooding those markets and decreasing the value.

The Captiva was actually a great little SUV. Engineered mostly in Europe by Opel, it's often overlooked yet a very solid little thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Some even had black bumpers, easy to dent and replace

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

You can get a first gen V for 10k.

400hp, manual, RWD, ELLIS and at the 10k price point beat up already.
*reserved for no content*
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Filed claim but they haven't called me to set up a meeting. Lady said someone will call me by 5PM tomorrow to set it up.
Debating if I even care where they do the work. I will end up :plac: this car sooner than later. There's no fucking point to being an auto enthusiast in this place and parking that much money on the street.

I was looking at manual GLI's but stumble upon this :notbad: much NFG
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:13 pm

The Captiva was just sold for fleets and rentals...to keep the Equinox from flooding those markets and decreasing the value.

The Captiva was actually a great little SUV. Engineered mostly in Europe by Opel, it's often overlooked yet a very solid little thing.
:word:
The final generation of Saturn products were really the best they ever had. So Opel. Such not bad driving dynamics. :(
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:17 pm Some even had black bumpers, easy to dent and replace

A friend had a 2009 Vue and put ~140k miles on it iirc before giving it to her kid, who's still driving it. The 2.4L I4 (same as wifey's Aura) been pretty reliable. I bet her kid will get 200k out of it. A bit of a snore power-wise, but adequate.
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:49 pm

I was looking at manual GLI's but stumble upon this :notbad: much NFG
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
:disgust:
*reserved for no content*
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So the car got egged, now Johnny is just giving up and buying some beater? Man you guys are recommending some serious soulless garbage.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

2004-2007 or 8 are the Honda V6's, the later ones are pretty rare since all cars are rare in 2008-11 or so model years.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm So the car got egged, now Johnny is just giving up and buying some beater? Man you guys are recommending some serious soulless garbage.
ZFG reliable, auto, under 180" long, under 100k miles, under $10k.

He's already got the automotive equivalent of Casper...how can you do better?
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

2004-2007 or 8 are the Honda V6's, the later ones are pretty rare since all cars are rare in 2008-11 or so model years.
So the later 2nd gen would be safe with a GM V6.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

So the later 2nd gen would be safe with a GM V6.
If you can find a V6. Most are 4-bangers.

The V6 ones I've heard are :lolol: fast.