Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Curiosity got me and I had to google it too.

I try to avoid the subject as much as possible so I don't seem even more like what you all think I am. :lolol:
I think you are utterly amazing, inspirationally and jeeply magnificent!! :)
Boy, I have you fooled.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm I think you are utterly amazing, inspirationally and jeeply magnificent!! :)
Boy, I have you fooled.
Just another one of those types borne with a silver :alpo:

:rage: :mahtroy:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Boy, I have you fooled.
Just another one of those types borne with a silver :alpo:

Meanwhile Troy going through as many cars as waxer during a “wedding year”
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm Just another one of those types borne with a silver :alpo:

...and spending less on them than :waxer: spends on detailing supplies.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:34 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm
Relative to income level doe ?!
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Of course not, assuming we don't take you literally... During the actual wedding year, I sold one car for $20k and spent $9k on its replacement so "made" $11k on car shit.

During the past ~6 years, I averaged $4Xk gross income and probably blew $50k on stupid car shit or around 20% of gross income. That was largely on the stupid :poorvette: mistake :doe: and will not continue. 2015 through present has been reasonable at more like $5k or less per year wasted on this stupid hobby and that trend will continue.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm
Of course not, assuming we don't take you literally... During the actual wedding year, I sold one car for $20k and spent $9k on its replacement so "made" $11k on car shit.

During the past ~6 years, I averaged $4Xk gross income and probably blew $50k on stupid car shit or around 20% of gross income. That was largely on the stupid :poorvette: mistake :doe: and will not continue. 2015 through present has been reasonable at more like $5k or less per year wasted on this stupid hobby and that trend will continue.
I am puzzled why you bought and are now selling the MR2... isn't it exactly what you want?
Cheap to run?
Winning class?
Mid engine?
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 pm

I am puzzled why you bought and are now selling the MR2... isn't it exactly what you want?
Cheap to run?
Winning class?
Mid engine?
It's not worth the compromise of having a LOUD car with floppy chassis that takes up my only garage space all year and prevents me from having cash to have a more interesting "real" car vs. driving a Pontiac Vibe on a regular basis. If I had a 3+ car garage and a Cayman to DD, then sure it would be worth having an Elise/MR2 for autox.

I thought that I would "get used to" the convertible thing, but I still hate it. Wearing sunscreen and ear plugs to drive your car is :fullretard:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:31 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Cheap to run?
Winning class?
Mid engine?
It's not worth the compromise of having a LOUD car with floppy chassis that takes up my only garage space all year and prevents me from having cash to have a more interesting "real" car vs. driving a Pontiac Vibe on a regular basis. If I had a 3+ car garage and a Cayman to DD, then sure it would be worth having an Elise/MR2 for autox.

I thought that I would "get used to" the convertible thing, but I still hate it. Wearing sunscreen and ear plugs to drive your car is :fullretard:
Makes a lot of sense. But that brings up the other question, is there a car that allows you to be ultra competative+drive it daily that doesn't break the bank, turn you deaf or :mahtroy: or whatever? Plus the Vibe is staying right? So you get to have that "trackday toy"
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Makes a lot of sense. But that brings up the other question, is there a car that allows you to be ultra competative+drive it daily that doesn't break the bank, turn you deaf or :mahtroy: or whatever? Plus the Vibe is staying right? So you get to have that "trackday toy"
RX8 is that car for now until I can afford whatever Cayman/911/Evora type thing fits both the budget and classing later. I'm selling the Vibe too, no more multiple car :bs: until I have more space+time+money to :dealwithit:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:47 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 pm

RX8 is that car for now until I can afford whatever Cayman/911/Evora type thing fits both the budget and classing later. I'm selling the Vibe too, no more multiple car :bs: until I have more space+time+money to :dealwithit:
Makes sense. So do you still drive a lot ? I can't imagine putting 15-20k miles on the RX8 on premium + 16-17mpg that'll hurt.
troyguitar

I put about 10k miles on the MR2 in 5 months, but then only did like 3k miles on the Vibe and :poorvette: over the rest of the year. The only driving that I really "have" to do is about 5k a year. Everything else is autox/trips which is highly variable.

The extra gas cost vs the cash+time savings of having one new-ish car instead of 2 old ones should be well worth it IMO, even if it ends up costing the same or slightly more money.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 pm I put about 10k miles on the MR2 in 5 months, but then only did like 3k miles on the Vibe and :poorvette: over the rest of the year. The only driving that I really "have" to do is about 5k a year. Everything else is autox/trips which is highly variable.

The extra gas cost vs the cash+time savings of having one new-ish car instead of 2 old ones should be well worth it IMO, even if it ends up costing the same or slightly more money.
:impressive: 10k miles in the mr2!
troyguitar

I guess I really only drove it for about 4 months, but yeah it was about 10k miles. I kept waiting for the light bulb to come on and make me like the convertible, but it never happened. The only time it's really nice is if you're driving at slow city speeds on a warm-ish night. In the sun, the heat, the cold, or at 50+ mph it's just annoying.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 pm I guess I really only drove it for about 4 months, but yeah it was about 10k miles. I kept waiting for the light bulb to come on and make me like the convertible, but it never happened. The only time it's really nice is if you're driving at slow city speeds on a warm-ish night. In the sun, the heat, the cold, or at 50+ mph it's just annoying.
Kind of sums up why I almost never took the top off the C5. It was either too hot or too loud.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:13 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm

I think you are utterly amazing, inspirationally and jeeply magnificent!! :)
Boy, I have you fooled.
I think my ex said that just before the wedding :)
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:disgust:

Now they're not even going to put a hood over the LCD screens? I can only imagine the glare. Everything else looks nice doe.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 am New Benz A-class hatch interior:

:impressive:
Was just reading about that yesterday. :notsure: how I feel about it yet.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 am New Benz A-class hatch interior:

:impressive:
As per the usual MB interior, it looks too busy to me. They always go over the top and make shit look gaudy in my opinion.

WTF is up with the accordion door? that's 1960-1970 shit right there. My 1967 Mustang had that on it..

max225

Euro Doors add obscene scene points. Covering a cup holder is immensely necessary and useful. This way you can leave your fav vape in the car while you’re out delivering pizzas and no one will see it, and break into your car to steal it!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So, I think I might have something wrong with me.

I've always had a weird feeling about 911's. I've wanted one, but can't see ever buying one due to the !/$ factor. They seem like such a waste of money when other cars outperform them on many levels for much less cash.

All that ignored, I find myself wanting a new Turbo S.

The only things really keeping me away from it right now is my current plan to buy a couple properties out of state and early retire, and the small fact that the wife says if I buy a $200k car it should be my daily driver and I should get rid of the Z06 and the Camaro, and not keep the JKU.

Pretty sure 30k miles a year on a Turbo S is a bad idea.... but I've still been thinking about it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 am
Accordion doors are so euro, bro.

Remember the Mk6 euro cupholder?

I remember not wanting it... yes. :)
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 am Euro Doors add obscene scene points. Covering a cup holder is immensely necessary and useful. This way you can leave your fav vape in the car while you’re out delivering pizzas and no one will see it, and break into your car to steal it!
Now it all makes sense... nonsense!
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:00 pm So, I think I might have something wrong with me.

I've always had a weird feeling about 911's. I've wanted one, but can't see ever buying one due to the !/$ factor. They seem like such a waste of money when other cars outperform them on many levels for much less cash.

All that ignored, I find myself wanting a new Turbo S.

The only things really keeping me away from it right now is my current plan to buy a couple properties out of state and early retire, and the small fact that the wife says if I buy a $200k car it should be my daily driver and I should get rid of the Z06 and the Camaro, and not keep the JKU.

Pretty sure 30k miles a year on a Turbo S is a bad idea.... but I've still been thinking about it.
Hmm P cars are a good idea However they are priced close to a 570s which is better in every way.

Also getting rid of the other cars makes perfect sense why keep the old shit around while you’re about to have better cars. ?!

You should take a couple out for a spin.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Might have my answer about the miles right here...

37K miles on a 2014 and a dealer is trying to sell it for $122,500

https://livermore.porschedealer.com/inv ... ic+1700311

Would hate to lose 50%+ of the value of an overpriced car in 18 months.