Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Why is luxo sedan worse? Just based on depreciation and such?
I'd be looking used for these. In the $30k range.
Maintenance costs
Reliability
Depreciation
Reliability and ease of ownership are paramount.
Depreciation is something I can live with if the car has staying power. I knew the STI would have little staying power but the depreciation is low so I went with it.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Right but what do you go buy. What soul sucking derpmobile do you actually go spend your hard earned money on?
In Indy I'd probably get an 07-08 Fit sport with a manual. Former neighbor had one and it isn't totally soul-crushing. With shit Philly roads and traffic, though, probably a Crosstrek. Can do the MTB thing, has room for the :doge:, more suspension travel and rubber for those gnarly potholes, should be reliable, good fuel economy, fairly low depreciation. It's just about the ultimate :derp: mobile.
CVT Crosstreks are like 10 seconds to 60 :yikes:
Honda Shit is a better car. But, again, CVT issues.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Audi TT or A3 3.2 quattro+DSG with maybe a couple of modz i.e. 17" :ramz: and a big rear sway bar to make it understeer less. $20k buys a pristine one.
So a MK5 Golf with Audi tax and 1st gen DSG? :yikes:
It's 2nd gen DSG and yes, essentially an R32 but with less flatbrimbro shit.

Ours was perfect when it was traded at 100k miles. That'll last you until you can rent a pod and be done with cars.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

:jimp:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm

So a MK5 Golf with Audi tax and 1st gen DSG? :yikes:

Ours was perfect when it was traded at 100k miles. That'll last you until you can rent a pod and be done with cars.
I'd rather get an S4 than own another Golf.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm I drove a Challenger 392 yesterday, such boat, very acceleration :doge:
Test drive or your buddy has one? Manuel or Auto?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm It's 2nd gen DSG and yes, essentially an R32 but with less flatbrimbro shit.
So that's why I don't get along with a lot of R32 owners. :mindblown: :themoreyouknow:
SixSpeeder

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:35 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm I drove a Challenger 392 yesterday, such boat, very acceleration :doge:
Auto, my uncle just bought one, it's red with red interior accents and is pretty much fully loaded. It was quick but giant. Everything was familiar, the controls and graphix are similar to my car, dat FCA parts bin. It has the same exact tire spluge pump as my car instead of a spare in the trunk :butwhy:

It got up to 100 real quick, effortlessly. It sounded great, though my old Camaro sounded better. And danced better.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 pm

I've been chatting with wifey about this same kind of thing, plus I need :baby: space in addition to :doge: .

Jeepin' might not be too far off for me, especially if I can grab a :dill: I will say, it's way more fun to go MTB than to worry about trying to :stig: on a back road.
I liked the Jeep, mostly. It's unique and feels special, and that has staying power. I didn't like the brakes but whatever. My issue was the handling was so wonky. But if you can deal with it, they're cool vehicles.
It would certainly have staying power, and minimal depreciation would be a bonus. I need to go run some numbers with :dillerman: I think...
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm

I'd rather get an S4 than own another Golf.
Eh, different strokes. The VR6 sounds better and is more fun to drive IMO. Our TT sounded really good even with the stock exhaust. The S4 with its extra 500 lbs of non-Golf-based sound deadening was silent even in full :stig: mode.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Auto, my uncle just bought one, it's red with red interior accents and is pretty much fully loaded. It was quick but giant. Everything was familiar, the controls and graphix are similar to my car, dat FCA parts bin. It has the same exact tire spluge pump as my car instead of a spare in the trunk :butwhy:

It got up to 100 real quick, effortlessly. It sounded great, though my old Camaro sounded better. And danced better.
The Challenger is really the 60's throwback car in every way, giant size, giant interior size, giant NA motor, looks the same as it did in the 60s etc. You won't own a road course with it. If I were waxer I would definitely consider a manual SRT or Hellcat Challenger as sort of a weekend cruiser. The Demon is fking crazy with its trans brake and all that other jazz. I don't know what dealers are gouging for those but that seems investment grade to me.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:03 pm

The Challenger is really the 60's throwback car in every way, giant size, giant interior size, giant NA motor, looks the same as it did in the 60s etc. You won't own a road course with it. If I were waxer I would definitely consider a manual SRT or Hellcat Challenger as sort of a weekend cruiser. The Demon is fking crazy with its trans brake and all that other jazz. I don't know what dealers are gouging for those but that seems investment grade to me.
Dealers are not allowed to gouge ... but you'd have to find one that hasn't sold theirs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Dealers are not allowed to gouge ... but you'd have to find one that hasn't sold theirs.
$90K is a deal for that car. A 9 second drag car from the factory with a 6 year/60K mile warranty. And A/C and you can just drive it around. Insane.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

$90K is a deal for that car. A 9 second drag car from the factory with a 6 year/60K mile warranty. And A/C and you can just drive it around. Insane.
:315:'s up front... :amazing: I like em... but 90k is not insignificant, you still get the same interior as a 20k SXT rental spec.

Yes obviously you have a giant motor and a few other goodies, but short of collectors and those willing to put up a second mortgage on their trailer I don't see mortals affording these.
SixSpeeder

:dat:

It would be a great freeway/commuter car.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm I should GoPro a commute so you guys see what I'm up against.
I have driven in the Philly and NYC metro area a number of times. I'm not disputing that it sucks. There are some nice roads throughout PA though - I have driven them. You have to get well outside from the city :doe:

It just depends on what you're willing to do get that fun drive. In my area I might drive/ride anywhere between 20-90 minutes to get to the road I want. Sometimes it's full of :derp: and other times it's full on :stig:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
SixSpeeder

The roads are pretty good out here (other than downtown), it's the drivers that suck. Hard.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm

:315:'s up front... :amazing: I like em... but 90k is not insignificant, you still get the same interior as a 20k SXT rental spec.

Yes obviously you have a giant motor and a few other goodies, but short of collectors and those willing to put up a second mortgage on their trailer I don't see mortals affording these.
It's a sure bet collector vehicle. Just shrink wrap that betch and put in in a climate controlled garage.
SixSpeeder

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:36 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

It's a sure bet collector vehicle. Just shrink wrap that betch and put in in a climate controlled garage.
:flaccid:

Fuck that

Johnny_P

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:21 pm The roads are pretty good out here (other than downtown), it's the drivers that suck. Hard.
PNW has some badass roads
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:21 pm The roads are pretty good out here (other than downtown), it's the drivers that suck. Hard.
Can confirm. Worst drivers in the world.
max225

I drove from Cali to Seattle... through Portland about a year ago (last egg trip). The drive from Portlandia to seattle was absolute garbage, the pavement was mogadishu grade, that made the entire car rattle like a tincan and then epic traffic right before and all throughout seattle.

Seattle/Tac used to be cool, but now it's just a worse version of the bay area. Just as crowded just as expensive and shittier weather.
max225

TO add to that rant I am sure the backroads are good, but they are good in most of california.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm It's 2nd gen DSG and yes, essentially an R32 but with less flatbrimbro shit.
So that's why I don't get along with a lot of R32 owners. :mindblown: :themoreyouknow:
There's actually an R32 asian kid living in my neighborhood, he's your stereotypical VW bro (never seen flat-brim), he rocked detroits (mk6 wheels) and now austins (mk7 wheels), roof rack and everything. When we were next to each other at a light, leaving our neighborhood, I somehow couldn't look at me.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:00 pm TO add to that rant I am sure the backroads are good, but they are good in most of california.
lot of the west coast are, and so are Utah, Colorado, Arizona, etc. but they're "almost" at the west coast though. I'm telling you, If I had a mk6 (follow my car footsteps) and live in LA, I'd probably join the flatbrim bandwagon there and go on Last Sunday or some shit. I do have couple flatbrims that I wear occasionally as well :lol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.