Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Jeep Commanders are another option.

4.7L V8, 220 something HP, 300 torque, or a hemi available, low range, and if you find one with the Quadra drive II, it'll have LSDs front and rear. Should be around 8-10 grand.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Oh, like Rockchops with the Dangvan.
Exactly

Let's go places.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:32 am https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 12418.html

Here's a bit of a unicorn that nobody cares about. Isuzu Trooper with 84k on the clock and only $4200. This one has an automatic paired to a V6 engine and a very interesting and capable 4WD system. Uses a multi plate clutched center differential that, when in auto mode in 4Hi, will vary between 0% and 50% power to the front wheels. Also has a low range with gear reduction and 100% lockup. And a rear LSD.

Aftermarket likely sucks on these, and who knows if that TOD system even works, as it's relying on 12 something sensors from 1999.
Troopers are very underrated, but you're right about parts and aftermarket availability. Uses a GM 4L30E trans (can be a weak spot). For a deeper dive, go to http://www.planetisuzoo.com

My first car was a '92 Trooper. Fantastic off-road with a small T-bar crank and OME912 rear springs.

Sadly, the 3.5 is known for oil consumption, so caveat emptor.

Here's a better one: https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 66918.html

Manual, earlier model year with the 3.2 DOHC engine. Nice color. Man, nostalgia has me wanting it.
I saw that one but didn't know if it had the TOD system, or what 4WD system in general was offered. Likely open diffs both ends with a transfer case. Which is fine I guess. 5MT though, blah.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:45 pm How about VAN
https://sportsmobile.com/inventory/cars ... d/#mainpic

Eighty five grand. This is ideal af though. 18 MPG highway on diesel if you're lucky :fullretard:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 am Jeep Commanders are another option.

4.7L V8, 220 something HP, 300 torque, or a hemi available, low range, and if you find one with the Quadra drive II, it'll have LSDs front and rear. Should be around 8-10 grand.
I am intimately familiar with this platform. Let me know if you have any questions.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:59 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:46 am

I am intimately familiar with this platform. Let me know if you have any questions.
I saw one on CL with JKU Rubicon wheels on it a few days ago, must've sold. Looked intriguing.

Found it: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 47147.html
:notbad:
Recent water pump is good.
Probably a spacer lift, so I would swap that for an OME setup.
Throw some WildPeaks on it and have fun. It is QTII so I’d look into putting in an arb locker in the rear diff with the compressor for airing up/down.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm Exactly

Let's go places.
Star wagon > space van
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:neat: and :notsure: at the same time
Title is Clean Clear NJ Salvage from an accident over 20 years
:fullretard:
Apex

Johnny_P

212 HP in a 4600 lb vehicle :hubba: 0-60 in around 12-13 seconds when stock. Even worse with those big ass tires and front bumper damage multiplier. So more like 14-15 seconds to get to less than normal highway speed.

A quick prod on forums indicates you'll average 10 MPG.

Nah.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:46 am

I saw one on CL with JKU Rubicon wheels on it a few days ago, must've sold. Looked intriguing.

Oh wow this is not bad! Dirt fucking cheap too!

:evilplan:

Edit: Wow he's including shit like his hi-lift, shovel mounts, rack, all the off road lights.... this is about as turn key as it gets.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
212 HP in a 4600 lb vehicle :hubba: 0-60 in around 12-13 seconds when stock. Even worse with those big ass tires and front bumper damage multiplier. So more like 14-15 seconds to get to less than normal highway speed.

A quick prod on forums indicates you'll average 10 MPG.

Nah.
What's the problem?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Edit: Wow he's including shit like his hi-lift, shovel mounts, rack, all the off road lights.... this is about as turn key as it gets.
That’s :notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Considering the LC was a salvage title...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

V8 too... Likely just quicker than dangerously slow. Plus decent sounding?
Johnny_P

GMT800 suburbans are cheap in good condition.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

That should be a very reliable very capable 4 wheeler. Only gonna get like 18 MPG highway with it, less with a lift and knobby tires. But they're so cheap that it almost doesn't matter. Length-wise they're the same as a full size pickup.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm GMT800 suburbans are cheap in good condition.

That should be a very reliable very capable 4 wheeler. Only gonna get like 18 MPG highway with it, less with a lift and knobby tires. But they're so cheap that it almost doesn't matter. Length-wise they're the same as a full size pickup.
They are the same length because they are literally the exact same vehicle
And no a suburban is completely incapable off road, it doesn't have ground clearance, and it has a completely non-existant breakover/departure angles due to the extreme size.
I tried offroading in one and while it was supremely comfortable it couldn't do anything past soft roading, and it was quite a pathetic experience. I think a FWD civic can do more.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm GMT800 suburbans are cheap in good condition.

You'd want a Tahoe instead.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm

For any off road stuff sure. These are large enough to actually turn into campers.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:16 pm

For any off road stuff sure. These are large enough to actually turn into campers.
I just don't get the draw ? Where do you take a shower ? where do you take a piss or a shit ? Where do you put it in the cornhole ? all inside a giant 20 year old suburban filled with crotchfruit residue ? seems like a :disgust: proposition.

Unless you spend 20-30k converting it into a full on "overlanding" rig, at which point it is too big for most trails and still old and :disgust: which explains their place in the poverty 4x4 marketplace.
Apex

:bruh: Have you been in a GMT800 Tahoe? They're cavernous.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm

I just don't get the draw ? Where do you take a shower ? where do you take a piss or a shit ? Where do you put it in the cornhole ? all inside a giant 20 year old suburban filled with crotchfruit residue ? seems like a :disgust: proposition.

Unless you spend 20-30k converting it into a full on "overlanding" rig, at which point it is too big for most trails and still old and :disgust: which explains their place in the poverty 4x4 marketplace.
Draw is ability to sleep in it literally anywhere. Truck stop, walmart parking lot, street parked, whatever, and nobody cares. Ability to stop and sleep more places than if you just had a tent. Plus a bit of added weather protection vs just a tent (wind, rain, snow etc). Wake up, sit up, turn on your butane stove, and make yourself a cup of coffee before even getting out of your sleeping bag. Roof top tent, sure, yeah, go ahead and open that in a rest stop and you'll have all sorts of people trying to poke their head in to see what it is because they attract a lot of attention.

Unfortunately much of the US is developed and people don't want you setting up camp in many places. Polar opposite of places like New Zealand and Australia, where car camping and side of road camping is normal. Here you're shuffled into campgrounds, which is fine, but they are not free, many in the $20-40 a night range, and do that for long enough and it gets :waxer: asf. If you want to camp for "free" outside of certain national forests and BLM areas, you kind of need a secure option that's more stealthy.

Of course if you don't care about spending money on campgrounds then none of this matters, and then this just turns into a giant steel tent that's permanently getting dragged behind you.

Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:21 pm

4Runners are as well. These are just moar, lol.
Really a JGC would probably work extremely well for what I want to do.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:21 pm

4Runners are as well. These are just moar, lol.
Really a JGC would probably work extremely well for what I want to do.
WK2 would suit you rather well I think, and they depreciate harder than T4R's.
The problem is keeping a bike inside, if you didn't need a XL framed MTB, we'd have more options. :lol:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:32 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Draw is ability to sleep in it literally anywhere. Truck stop, walmart parking lot, street parked, whatever, and nobody cares. Ability to stop and sleep more places than if you just had a tent. Plus a bit of added weather protection vs just a tent (wind, rain, snow etc). Wake up, sit up, turn on your butane stove, and make yourself a cup of coffee before even getting out of your sleeping bag. Roof top tent, sure, yeah, go ahead and open that in a rest stop and you'll have all sorts of people trying to poke their head in to see what it is because they attract a lot of attention.

Unfortunately much of the US is developed and people don't want you setting up camp in many places. Polar opposite of places like New Zealand and Australia, where car camping and side of road camping is normal. Here you're shuffled into campgrounds, which is fine, but they are not free, many in the $20-40 a night range, and do that for long enough and it gets :waxer: asf. If you want to camp for "free" outside of certain national forests and BLM areas, you kind of need a secure option that's more stealthy.

Of course if you don't care about spending money on campgrounds then none of this matters, and then this just turns into a giant steel tent that's permanently getting dragged behind you.

You have the ability to sleep anywhere now, you're just a $29.95 Coleman tent away from that. You're literally describing being a BUM with a fancy label. Sleeping in a Walmart parking lot whether you do it in a shitty ass 20 year old suburban or a cardbox box, is one and the same to me. :disgust: Making a cup of Joe in the Walmart lot? Yea if I was an urban nomad with no friends and a dog maybe, but most of us tend to have sig others who appropriately would lose their shit at that type of proposition.

lets be real here.