Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Avalanche is a decent option. Yuge gas tanks, pretty cheap, common parts and relatively reliable.

It is however still YUGE.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:Avalanche is a decent option. Yuge gas tanks, pretty cheap, common parts and relatively reliable.

I'm with you man, it's just massive and heavy. If 4x4 means pre running then have at it, but otherwise I'd take smaller and lighter. Then again I am not a big fan of massive vehicles, the van seems huge to me.
max225

rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:08 pm
max225 wrote:Avalanche is a decent option. Yuge gas tanks, pretty cheap, common parts and relatively reliable.

I'm with you man, it's just massive and heavy. If 4x4 means pre running then have at it, but otherwise I'd take smaller and lighter. Then again I am not a big fan of massive vehicles, the van seems huge to me.
It really depends on the goal for the vehicle which somehow "offends" people when I ask and point out the short-commings. I don't see the bad thing in acknowledging a vehicles' weak points.

The downsides of the avalanche are numerous
1. Its hideous
2. It is older
3. It has terrible mpg, averaging at most 15
4. Shitty 4 speed auto, which is ancient
5. They are mostly all beat to shit because they have been out there for a decade between owners 1-10.

it does have plenty of upsides though.
1. Great aftermarket
2. Super cheap cost of entry
3. Cheap repair costs
4. Great ride quality
5. Long range (as mentioned) 31-7 GALLON TANK... at cali gas prices it is $110-130 to fill up that monster.

The part where it gets interesting is something like a lease on a cross trek, and given an equal 12k miles a year or so the fuel savings alone nearly pay for the monthly, and once you figure out that the subi will need 0 in repair and maintenance over 3 years. ($150 in oil changes), the Avalanche cheap price of entry begins to look like shit since it is just a tip of the iceberg in terms of expenses.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:13 pm Avalanche is a decent option. Yuge gas tanks, pretty cheap, common parts and relatively reliable.

How is that a decent option but a suburban which is the exact same truck just with a better roof is a pathetic one? :lolol:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:17 pm
rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:08 pm I'm with you man, it's just massive and heavy. If 4x4 means pre running then have at it, but otherwise I'd take smaller and lighter. Then again I am not a big fan of massive vehicles, the van seems huge to me.
It really depends on the goal for the vehicle which somehow "offends" people when I ask and point out the short-commings. I don't see the bad thing in acknowledging a vehicles' weak points.

1. Its hideous
2. It is older
5. They are mostly all beat to shit because they have been out there for a decade between owners 1-10.

1. Great aftermarket
3. Cheap repair costs
4. Great ride quality
5. Long range (as mentioned) 31-7 GALLON TANK... at cali gas prices it is $110-130 to fill up that monster.

The part where it gets interesting is something like a lease on a cross trek, and given an equal 12k miles a year or so the fuel savings alone nearly pay for the monthly, and once you figure out that the subi will need 0 in repair and maintenance over 3 years. ($150 in oil changes), the Avalanche cheap price of entry begins to look like shit since it is just a tip of the iceberg in terms of expenses.
Shame the cross trek doesn’t get a better engine or lower gearing. Even just throwing the 2.5 in there would be amaze.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:56 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:17 pm

1. Its hideous
2. It is older

1. Great aftermarket
3. Cheap repair costs
4. Great ride quality

Shame the cross trek doesn’t get a better engine or lower gearing. Even just throwing the 2.5 in there would be amaze.
But the performance is fairly similar between the two as the avalanche weighs 2500lbs more. The main issue on the Crosstranny is lack of low range, but I am :notsure: if you truly need it as rock crawling is not something you can do in an avalanche without extensive mods anyways. I think the crosstranny while slow is still acceptable, it has 150hp and it weighs around 3200lbs, that is :notbad: yes it won't win races but it isn't designed to do that.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:13 pm Avalanche is a decent option. Yuge gas tanks, pretty cheap, common parts and relatively reliable.

How is that a decent option but a suburban which is the exact same truck just with a better roof is a pathetic one? :lolol:
I am actually :wrong: on this one since for some reason I thought the avalanche was shorter and based on the Tahoe and not burban. But yep they share a chassis, both are equally retarded for real off-roading, but will do fine for soft-roading and walmart camping.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:56 pm Shame the cross trek doesn’t get a better engine or lower gearing. Even just throwing the 2.5 in there would be amaze.
But the performance is fairly similar between the two as the avalanche weighs 2500lbs more. The main issue on the Crosstranny is lack of low range, but I am :notsure: if you truly need it as rock crawling is not something you can do in an avalanche without extensive mods anyways. I think the crosstranny while slow is still acceptable, it has 150hp and it weighs around 3200lbs, that is :notbad: yes it won't win races but it isn't designed to do that.
I get by with 85hp and 4000lbs iono
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Apex
Drives: Abominable

rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm
max225 wrote:
You should BaT that Delica for $40k... 4wd, import, rhd, van. :waxer:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote:
Yeah but you have a shorter wheelbase than a Yaris.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm

I should make a thread about it so everyone can tell me I'm :wrong:
Been avoiding doing that because of how negative this place is. Half the people I discuss it with think it's awesome as hell, the other half think I'm retarded.
+1 for this is awesome as hell camp
+2 :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

max225

max225 wrote:
:wat: is 85hp and 4000lbs ?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:
rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm I get by with 85hp and 4000lbs iono
your mom :dedong:
max225

:gay:
rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 pm
max225 wrote:
your mom :dedong:
:gay:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:41 pm
rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm I get by with 85hp and 4000lbs iono
His mail delivery mitsubishi van
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

All I'm getting at is, for what I want to do, ability to sleep inside the vehicle in a pinch would come in very handy. Something that is easily possible in a Suburban, and much harder in a Crosstrek.

You absolutely cannot just set up a tent anywhere and camp in it wherever you please.
You are also not supposed to park in most walmart lots over night. Same shit different strokes. Lets be real here, is your sig other going to sleep with you in a walmart parking lot ? Or let you go on a weeklong trip where you do without judging? I am legit curious. I get this whole "let go of society" mindset and experience "nature" but that shit gets old quick when you're faced with the reality of the situation.
There was a person this forum that abandoned a car in a Walmart parking. If memory serves, it literally sat there for months.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

We can make something work for that then.

Also :wasteful: I really fucking hope you take this trip.
Been avoiding doing that because of how negative this place is. Half the people I discuss it with think it's awesome as hell, the other half think I'm retarded.
If you're able to pull it off, I think it'll be epic. It's something that a lot of us wish we had the guts or means to do, but for one reason or another never will. Go forth and conquer.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 am

If you're able to pull it off, I think it'll be epic. It's something that a lot of us wish we had the guts or means to do, but for one reason or another never will. Go forth and conquer.
:dat:
It could very well be a life changing adventure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Image all the places we'll see :neek: pop up? :amazing:

We need to be sure he has a ton of :neek: available to :neek: everything, everywhere.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Wait, what? I missed something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

This car was so ahead of its time. Let's appreciate this for a second here...

Sliding rear cargo tie down tray, much like the current 4Runner has in some trims, and like all the overlanding crowd wants and spends retard money on.
Party mode rear speakers with a controller in the back, that's just cool.
12V power in the back.
Completely flat floor because it's a minivan. 4x8 sheets of plywood can lay flat.
You could get an air mattress, air compressor, and tent attachment as a factory accessory.
The center console is a cooler and it's removable.
Split tailgate has butt cutouts and cup holders for 2 turning it into a bench.
AWD
A modicum of ground clearance for soft roading.
V6 engine

:bravo: too bad it looks like ass inside and out, and had poor fuel economy.