Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:word: good call.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:32 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm I plan on CQuartz-ing the new :truk: when it comes in.

:doit:

The crazy thing is, mine was coated well over a year ago now, and it still does this. I've hit it with reload twice now (once when I got it back driving and yesterday), and it's still awesome.

The :truk: will be the real test because it lives outside. We'll see how long the coating lasts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm I plan on CQuartz-ing the new :truk: when it comes in.

A Nigerian would slide right off.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Max proved that's not the case...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:52 pm

He didn't put in enough prep time.....
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 pm
He didn't put in enough prep time.....
Oh, true.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm

The crazy thing is, mine was coated well over a year ago now, and it still does this. I've hit it with reload twice now (once when I got it back driving and yesterday), and it's still awesome.

The :truk: will be the real test because it lives outside. We'll see how long the coating lasts.
Yeah I think the reloader is something I need to look into. I used some Adam's paint sealer on the hood of my truck a while back but it was basically like a thicker wax that's supposed to last a few months. It did pretty well for just a simple Miagi wax on/wax off. I need to prime and spot paint a few pieces of my hood before it gets worse... and then I'll cquartz it to seal it in. It's my beater truck so I don't really care (even though the paint is actually in decent shape sans the hood paint in spots).

I did the rims too, but they don't make cleaning brake dust any easier. I thought I'd be able to rinse it off with just a hose but that just isn't the case. It's definitely easier to clean though, but not a simple point n shoot solution.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Yeah I think the reloader is something I need to look into. I used some Adam's paint sealer on the hood of my truck a while back but it was basically like a thicker wax that's supposed to last a few months. It did pretty well for just a simple Miagi wax on/wax off. I need to prime and spot paint a few pieces of my hood before it gets worse... and then I'll cquartz it to seal it in. It's my beater truck so I don't really care (even though the paint is actually in decent shape sans the hood paint in spots).

I did the rims too, but they don't make cleaning brake dust any easier. I thought I'd be able to rinse it off with just a hose but that just isn't the case. It's definitely easier to clean though, but not a simple point n shoot solution.
Reload is fantastic. It's similar to a spay wax, but is the same silica whatever that's in the coating. It really freshens up coating. I did try it on the Volt before I coated it, and it worked well, but not as well as it does on a coating base. It's worth doing every so often when the coating looks a bit dull.

I'm going to coat my wheels when I pull them off in the spring for new tahrs. I'm disappointed that the brake dust doesn't clean with just a hose spay, but I'm sure it's still a bit easier than without it.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:20 pm
Reload is fantastic. It's similar to a spay wax, but is the same silica whatever that's in the coating. It really freshens up coating. I did try it on the Volt before I coated it, and it worked well, but not as well as it does on a coating base. It's worth doing every so often when the coating looks a bit dull.

I'm going to coat my wheels when I pull them off in the spring for new tahrs. I'm disappointed that the brake dust doesn't clean with just a hose spay, but I'm sure it's still a bit easier than without it.

I'm going to go with a different brake pad next time. I think these are StopTechs, and they just magnetize themselves to my Forgestars. The wheels almost get as dirty as the rear end of the car after an afternoon ride. For a body panel it's easy, I just use Adam's detail spray and wipe it down, but getting between the spokes and shit is work.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm going to go with a different brake pad next time. I think these are StopTechs, and they just magnetize themselves to my Forgestars. The wheels almost get as dirty as the rear end of the car after an afternoon ride. For a body panel it's easy, I just use Adam's detail spray and wipe it down, but getting between the spokes and shit is work.
This is why I wish I could get cheap+light plain 5-spoke wheels and am even tempted to go ahead and order the :waxer: TE37's. Fuck having a bunch of little spokes to clean.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've got Stoptechs on mine, and while I love the performance, the dusting is legit terrible.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:04 pm

I've got Stoptechs on mine, and while I love the performance, the dusting is legit terrible.
If you want good braking performance, you 're going to have to wipe off some dust. The 440i doesn't dust at all, but I'd rather have better bite and rinse those ramz
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: is why I call them DustTechs... I think I'll go OEM next time considering I don't really Autox or track or anything.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 pm
:dat: is why I call them DustTechs... I think I'll go OEM next time considering I don't really Autox or track or anything.
My car came with (then) new ACDelco pads...and they blew. I'm willing to deal with the dust for the performance alone...even on the street, they're so much better.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Question guys.

What is the best tool to use to clean wheels with a narrow spoke design. I can't seem to get my hand/fingers and or sponge into the crevices. Any tips ?

Also is there any decent tire dressing that is not shiny, but just restores black and can be applied to rubber band tires?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm Question guys.

What is the best tool to use to clean wheels with a narrow spoke design. I can't seem to get my hand/fingers and or sponge into the crevices. Any tips ?

Also is there any decent tire dressing that is not shiny, but just restores black and can be applied to rubber band tires?
You're gonna want a couple of boxes of these, and a black sharpie. https://www.dickblick.com/products/crea ... gLbofD_BwE
max225

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm Question guys.

You're gonna want a couple of boxes of these, and a black sharpie. https://www.dickblick.com/products/crea ... gLbofD_BwE
Black sharpie?

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Black-Pre ... el+cleaner

Was thinking something like that
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Black sharpie?

It was a complete troll post... I don't know shit about detailing cars.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:25 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Black sharpie?

It was a complete troll post... I don't know shit about detailing cars.
:(
max225

SAWCE

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V ... ZSHI&psc=1

Anyone use this before?
In4 review.. description sounds like it's just what you're looking for.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:17 am I've never been a tire-dressing guy. :iono:
Not full on shiny black bs, but just a matte finish. Over time all tires here in cali turn grayish. It's :disgust:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:33 am
[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:17 am I've never been a tire-dressing guy. :iono:
Not full on shiny black bs, but just a matte finish. Over time all tires here in cali turn grayish. It's :disgust:
Buy just about any tire 'shine' and let it sit. Wipe it down with a dry cloth to get the excess off. It will remain black but not nearly as shiny. With as little moisture as you face the color should remain black. Use a bit of the same product as a touch up once every couple a weeks to avoid the dis-coloration and keep the nice 'black' but not shiny look. Works for me....
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:Question guys.

Needed to move the vette to my in-laws garage and decided to do a quick drive through touchless. Before i drove in i sprayed the wheels down with Sonax Wheel Cleaner, goes from green to red when it's time to spray off. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230200-755 ... B003UT3S6Q
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 am
max225 wrote:Question guys.

Needed to move the vette to my in-laws garage and decided to do a quick drive through touchless. Before i drove in i sprayed the wheels down with Sonax Wheel Cleaner, goes from green to red when it's time to spray off. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230200-755 ... B003UT3S6Q
Ordered