Motorsports Discussion Thread: Race Talk

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Saved for later, that looks like a tasty watch.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Race season is getting closer.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm Race season is getting closer.

:jimp:

Track day schedules are getting firmed up. Putnam seems down a weekend or two for motorcycles specific days this year :disappoint:

I'm hoping to find time to make it to Barber and over to WV to ride with the B-more crew this year. So far, for motorcycles, I'm planning on 3 days at Grattan, 3-4 days at Putnam, and hopefully the others I mentioned.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:fap:

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm :fap:

I want his job. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

OMG the cut at the very end when they go to just his face. Fantastic.

Dat noise. Yes.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm OMG the cut at the very end when they go to just his face. Fantastic.

Dat noise. Yes.
Kinda makes me miss the old 3 pedal days.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm Race season is getting closer.

what events are you attending?

we are pretty set on motogp even with work complications and then f1.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

MotoGP for sure, already have GA tix.
F1 nearly 100% given no conflicts with rallyx Nationals.
World Rallyx in September 100%

Anything else, playing by ear because the other stuff won't sell out.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Whoops
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

DVR only recorded 5 minutes of the Superbike race from Philips Island :rage:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I started watching Grand Prix Driver (Amazon) about the 2017 McLaren Honda F1 campaign. Pretty good so far, I'm enjoying it. They captured the team tension and stuff quite well so far I think.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Hmmmm opinion changed. Series is shorter than I thought and makes a big jump in timeline. Was going for more. Meh.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... rvice.html

TL;DR - US on list of launch countries, all sessions live, access to every in car cam, $8-12 monthly, annual rate TBD.

It's actually happening BUT I will prob sit out first year. Let them work the bugs out and not going to pay for MotoGP and F1, the former of which already auto-renewed.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 pm https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... rvice.html

TL;DR - US on list of launch countries, all sessions live, access to every in car cam, $8-12 monthly, annual rate TBD.

It's actually happening BUT I will prob sit out first year. Let them work the bugs out and not going to pay for MotoGP and F1, the former of which already auto-renewed.
I think i'll get motoGP this year, esp if they have a roku channel
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What do you guys use for helmets? Is there a helmet that would be good for both motorcycle and car use?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 am What do you guys use for helmets? Is there a helmet that would be good for both motorcycle and car use?
For autocross you need a SNELL M series that's less than 10 years old I think. So a Snell M2010 or 2015.

I hate closed face for autox but IMHO you need that for motobike. If you can :dill: with closed face for autox once can rule all.

As far as brands...get something that fits and is comfortable. HJC is nice budget stuff.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:35 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 am What do you guys use for helmets? Is there a helmet that would be good for both motorcycle and car use?
For autocross you need a SNELL M series that's less than 10 years old I think. So a Snell M2010 or 2015.

I hate closed face for autox but IMHO you need that for motobike. If you can :dill: with closed face for autox once can rule all.

As far as brands...get something that fits and is comfortable. HJC is nice budget stuff.
Not autocross, would be for trackdaybro.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Well olde :dubshow: got the vee half ass running.

We will get together soon and move the pedals to a spot they both work for us and get the carb behaving.

That thing is going to be a hoot.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:35 am

Ok, well for 'track dayz' it depends on the organization. It will either be a SNELL M or a Snell SA.

The main difference is that an SA is rated for some fire and multiple point impacts to the same spot (think helmet popping a roll cage more than once).

An SA is fine for autox too. as for riding... its still a DOT helmet BUT i'm not sure its the best tool for motorcycle. Zilch may know more. IE it could work but not might be as much protection as a good M
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

My helmet is a Snell SA2005. Nobody's told me to replace it...yet.

I should probably start shopping for a new one. Everyone has closed face helmets, but I really like my open face for the type of driving I do (autox/track dayz)
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 am

Ok, well for 'track dayz' it depends on the organization. It will either be a SNELL M or a Snell SA.

The main difference is that an SA is rated for some fire and multiple point impacts to the same spot (think helmet popping a roll cage more than once).

An SA is fine for autox too. as for riding... its still a DOT helmet BUT i'm not sure its the best tool for motorcycle. Zilch may know more. IE it could work but not might be as much protection as a good M
All are true for what :fax: said for M vs SA. Additionally, SA vs. M have different field of vision requirements, so an SA may not meet the vision requirements of an M.

It would probably buy a motorcycle specific helmet for motorcycling. I haven't dove into the specific energy dissipation standards that they must adhere to. Protection may be similar, but I'd rather have something on my head designed for the specific application. Head protection is kind of important.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 am My helmet is a Snell SA2005. Nobody's told me to replace it...yet.

I should probably start shopping for a new one. Everyone has closed face helmets, but I really like my open face for the type of driving I do (autox/track dayz)
You should really replace a helmet every 5 years. The EPS/Foam/whatever liner breaks down over time and becomes less efficient at dissipating energy.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 am My helmet is a Snell SA2005. Nobody's told me to replace it...yet.
It's usually current (which is 2015) and the last two, so you should be good. Plus, they just started clamping down on 2000s last year.

What Zilch said about replacements is a good idea though. My SA does not fit quite a well as it used to since it is now 11 years old. I'm probably going to spring for one of these, but not until I have achieved $0 CC balance.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 am It would probably buy a motorcycle specific helmet for motorcycling. I haven't dove into the specific energy dissipation standards that they must adhere to. Protection may be similar, but I'd rather have something on my head designed for the specific application. Head protection is kind of important.
:dat: I read a little and discussed with experienced motorcyclists, such as Zilch. I like my dome, so it was worth the money to get the correct helmet.