Motorsports Discussion Thread: Race Talk

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 pm New Indy Car bodies are :notbad:

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/14 ... -was-there
I dig. There's a little of the same retro flavor as the 2017 F1 cars. Whether it is intentional or not, :aintcare:. Low slung, big rear tires, and low & wide rear wings make damn good looking race cars. Might have to bump this up on the "see it in 2018" list.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

F1 moving to ESPN/ABC starting in 2018.

This could be good, or it could be a clusterfuck. All I want is announcers that don't act like consumers have never seen F1 before and a paid streaming option. It's fucking 2017, really.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:18 pm F1 moving to ESPN/ABC starting in 2018.

This could be good, or it could be a clusterfuck. All I want is announcers that don't act like consumers have never seen F1 before and a paid streaming option. It's fucking 2017, really.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:18 pm F1 moving to ESPN/ABC starting in 2018.

Suspect it'll be the same doods. Machette, Diffey, and maybe Hobbs. Perhaps Bob Varsha over Diffey.

F1 coverage has bounced around enough from Speed, Fox, and NBC (and ESPN in the 90's) with these guys mostly doing to the coverage.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

espn did really good nascar coverage back in the day, i suspect they wont fuck this up. Unless they put it on the extreme backburner (espn 8, the ocho streaming only) infavor of more SPORTSBALL coverage.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am espn did really good nascar coverage back in the day, i suspect they wont fuck this up. Unless they put it on the extreme backburner (espn 8, the ocho streaming only) infavor of more SPORTSBALL coverage.

Coverage will be no worse - probably not much better. The race broadcast itself is dependent on the world feed anyways. I do like how they've been talking to the team leader/engineers live during the broadcasts as of late.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I don't really follow F1, but I'm wondering what ever became of the Vettel KERS traction control shit?
It's all gone now since things have changed right?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 am I don't really follow F1, but I'm wondering what ever became of the Vettel KERS traction control shit?
Basically, that was near the end of the season and the v8 era before they went to the new powertrains.

The Red bull guys found a VERY clever software workaround for 'not traction control, but effectively traction control. '

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... -revealed/
https://www.wired.com/2013/10/red-bull- ... n-control/

how it worked was the kers computer and the engine didn't 'talk' aka its not traction control. "By linking the suspension to KERS, when the pressure in the shocks changes while going through a corner or over a bump, the RB9 could limit power when compressed and boost power when expanded, all without interacting with the ECU and running afoul of the FIA’s regulation" They did this through the KERS electric motor and not the engine, IE it harvested on low suspension pressure and released on high suspension pressure. This was not specifically illegal. The FIA ruled it legal and they got caught with their pants down a little. Turns out other teams were doing it but it was less sophisticated/refined. They let them run it out the rest of the season with the systems intact, Vettel basically had the championship wrapped anyway.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 am I don't really follow F1, but I'm wondering what ever became of the Vettel KERS traction control shit?
Basically, that was near the end of the season and the v8 era before they went to the new powertrains.

The Red bull guys found a VERY clever software workaround for 'not traction control, but effectively traction control. '

how it worked was the kers computer and the engine didn't 'talk' aka its not traction control. "By linking the suspension to KERS, when the pressure in the shocks changes while going through a corner or over a bump, the RB9 could limit power when compressed and boost power when expanded, all without interacting with the ECU and running afoul of the FIA’s regulation" They did this through the KERS electric motor and not the engine, IE it harvested on low suspension pressure and released on high suspension pressure. This was not specifically illegal. The FIA ruled it legal and they got caught with their pants down a little. Turns out other teams were doing it but it was less sophisticated/refined. They let them run it out the rest of the season with the systems intact, Vettel basically had the championship wrapped anyway.
Oh yeah I'm fully aware of it, that's why I asked. I just wasn't sure if anything came of it or if it was officially announced how they went about it.
I skipped the last F1 at Cota because of those quiet ass turbos. Neither me or any of my friends were really interested in it after going to a bunch of other events at Cota and loving the feel and atmosphere of a race environment that's loud as hell where you FEEL the cars
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:42 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am

Oh yeah I'm fully aware of it, that's why I asked. I just wasn't sure if anything came of it or if it was officially announced how they went about it.
I skipped the last F1 at Cota because of those quiet ass turbos. Neither me or any of my friends were really interested in it after going to a bunch of other events at Cota and loving the feel and atmosphere of a race environment that's loud as hell where you FEEL the cars
eh...... its still REALLY loud its not just ABSURDLY loud.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:46 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:42 am

Hrm. Loudness doesn't really bother me because I've got custom molded earplugs for when we gig.
When we hit up the V8 Supercars and ALMS at COTA, man the feel was awesome. There was some CTS-Vs that were ridiculously awesome loud at the front of the pack, and getting chased by some equally awesome sounding diesel R8s.
If it was weak sounding I'd be disappointed.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:46 am

Hrm. Loudness doesn't really bother me because I've got custom molded earplugs for when we gig.
When we hit up the V8 Supercars and ALMS at COTA, man the feel was awesome. There was some CTS-Vs that were ridiculously awesome loud at the front of the pack, and getting chased by some equally awesome sounding diesel R8s.
If it was weak sounding I'd be disappointed.
at WEC the R18 was by far the quietest sounding car...and the coolest sounding.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... al-964550/

Interested. A city I liked visiting and would visit again. Interested in Indy, but maybe more of the road course than the 500 (sacrilege I know). Less interested in ovals, which is why I don't strongly consider Texas Motor Speedway either.

Not that I will go, but that is also likely Solo Nats weekend in 2018.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Only in Indiana:

The fun begins at about the 1:10 mark.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

:wtf: Driver of the black car should not be allowed on a track ever again. :fullretard:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 pm Only in Indiana:

So, running over another vehicle a part of the race? Shit, I'd want to kick some ass if someone tried to kill me like that.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 pm Only in Indiana:

Crowd goes wild :impressive:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Romain Grosjean wearing a Nicky Hayden tribute helmet this weekend. :bravo:

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/0 ... or-austin/
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:48 am Marquez proclaims MotoGP > F1

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/885741 ... er-than-f1
duh. i should watch more motogp
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 am

duh. i should watch more motogp

This week's race was 5/7.

Rubber to leather transfer

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I would agree with this.

COTA F1 weekend was pretty 5/7. It was a little hot on Saturday and I just ignore the cost of things like beer and food as an impact on my fun because, well, can't do much about it so :aintcare:. We drank beers in Lot N before entering and on race day, showed up 10 mins before the start after I destroyed a triple Whataburger. Did GA again, watched the race from between turns 2/3. Good times.

They really need to continue working on infrastructure for crowds of that size. JT and Stevie (didn't stay for either) do not draw enough people to reduce the shitshow leaving. Also, Lot N even after just a little overnight rain is a fucking swamp. Starting to think that if I'm going to do this again, the RV camping route is the way to do it. Every year I say "meh" about doing it again next year but I probably will go again in 2018. Definitely not doing season pass since no IMSA and no WEC and what would keep me from F1 is if I want to take the R to rallyx nationals and it is the same weekend again. We'll see.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I went to a Champ Car race once in Ohio. I fell asleep during it :iono: Course was too big and boring. I have more fun watching on TV where you're following the car battles around for full laps, etc.

NHRA Pro dragsters doe.... :jizz: the sound is incredible, so loud it shakes your vision :fuckyeah:

I think F1 would be fun to go to, if for nothing else than to listen to the cars scream past at 14k rpm.