Motorsports Discussion Thread: Race Talk

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:50 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 am My helmet is a Snell SA2005. Nobody's told me to replace it...yet.

I should probably start shopping for a new one. Everyone has closed face helmets, but I really like my open face for the type of driving I do (autox/track dayz)
You should really replace a helmet every 5 years. The EPS/Foam/whatever liner breaks down over time and becomes less efficient at dissipating energy.
Really? 5? Interesting. Mine is 9 years old.

Wow. Time flies.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 am My helmet is a Snell SA2005. Nobody's told me to replace it...yet.
It's usually current (which is 2015) and the last two, so you should be good. Plus, they just started clamping down on 2000s last year.

What Zilch said about replacements is a good idea though. My SA does not fit quite a well as it used to since it is now 11 years old. I'm probably going to spring for one of these, but not until I have achieved $0 CC balance.
:waxer:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

my autox helmet is an m2000 and is prob over 15 years old

:aintcare:
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 am :waxer:
I'm not going to win so I might as well look good while I'm mid-pack.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 am my autox helmet is an m2000 and is prob over 15 years old

Risk of running into things at autox is relatively low and at low(er) speed. If I were track day bro, I’d want something newer.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 am my autox helmet is an m2000 and is prob over 15 years old

Risk of running into things at autox is relatively low and at low(er) speed. If I were track day bro, I’d want something newer.
agreed 100%
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

F1 Spotters guide: http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/185 ... ters-guide

Side note - Dear F1, the halos are fugly, can we just fully enclose the cockpits and be done with it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I should probably start shopping for a new one. Everyone has closed face helmets, but I really like my open face for the type of driving I do (autox/track dayz)
Yeah, mine is from 2009. Its due soon. Luckily no one really checks at solo events.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 am
It's usually current (which is 2015) and the last two, so you should be good. Plus, they just started clamping down on 2000s last year.

What Zilch said about replacements is a good idea though. My SA does not fit quite a well as it used to since it is now 11 years old. I'm probably going to spring for one of these, but not until I have achieved $0 CC balance.
:mahtroy:

that looks fantastic. Good job on the restraint.

Racin be expensive, especially when you need to look good doing so.

:troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Im strongly considering a fire suit for racing in the Vee. Seems like a :notbad: $150 thing.

Looked at these suits a while back.

Im sure they are hot AF during the summer :doe:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Threads be getting confused.

Racing your own things goes here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=517&start=225
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 am Threads be getting confused.

but but but we were talking gear and stuff.

:sad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 am Threads be getting confused.

but but but we were talking gear and stuff.

:sad:
In typical DFD fashion the thread went OT. I tried to bring it back with F1 talk. Don't be sad, just pointing out the other thread is all.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

PWC in Austin in two weeks, possible dubshow appearance?
MotoGP in Austin in five weeks, got my tickets in the mail yesterday, waiting on whomever else from out of town might be here. It will be a good time. Melon? 1+1? Mr. and Mrs. Dubshow?

Much excite for the start of MotoGP this weekend though I might have to watch it on delay because of wedding attendance. Might bring laptop to watch Sunday morning if others are still asleep.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am PWC in Austin in two weeks, possible dubshow appearance?
MotoGP in Austin in five weeks, got my tickets in the mail yesterday, waiting on whomever else from out of town might be here. It will be a good time. Melon? 1+1? Mr. and Mrs. Dubshow?

Much excite for the start of MotoGP this weekend though I might have to watch it on delay because of wedding attendance. Might bring laptop to watch Sunday morning if others are still asleep.
probably 98% chance of :dubshow: appearance. I'd be leaving Friday morning early. There for noon-1pm. Go race karts in the evening. Meet up with you and kick it. No Erin. She will be MotoGP and F1 only.

and a 79% :melon: appearance. :ohmy:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

YES. Y'all can spoon on the Casa de Jefé air mattress.

Karting at COTA or K1?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am Im strongly considering a fire suit for racing in the Vee. Seems like a :notbad: $150 thing.

dont waste your money on an SFI 1 suit cannot use for anything other than k1
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:33 pm YES. Y'all can spoon on the Casa de Jefé air mattress.

Karting at COTA or K1?
why not both?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:33 pm YES. Y'all can spoon on the Casa de Jefé air mattress.

Karting at COTA or K1?
:notbad:

Will have a reservation at cota. K1 would just be a bonus.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 pm why not both?
K1 is far.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am Im strongly considering a fire suit for racing in the Vee. Seems like a :notbad: $150 thing.

dont waste your money on an SFI 1 suit cannot use for anything other than k1
Ssshhh

:dubshow: wants the full racer experience.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

PWC Sunday was fun, got to see a great Touring Car race where a guy I have autocrossed with in the past held off a 2-Series in his 370Z to keep second. It was similar to the Dovi - Marquez duel in Qatar, good stuff. Lady friend enjoyed her first racing experience - we walked through pits and garages, etc. - one of the biggest draws to PWC for me. Heh, she also took great amusement at the BMW DSG farts that happened on cue, every lap, as we watched in the main grandstand.

Also learned: Tom O'Gorman is an awesome race announcer. He won the second TCA race and his later interview turned into him giving commentary for about half the TC race. In addition to being fast, an all around nice dude, he really knows his stuff about other classes.

Re: F1... I won't spoil anything. I haven't watched but it got spoiled for me this morning. I saw articles about ESPN's coverage - don't read them if you don't want spoilers obviously - and it appears that they royally fucked up. Commercials during the wrong times, shitty commentary... I think I'll stick to my alternative means of procuring and watching races.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

stripethree wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am
Re: F1... I won't spoil anything. I haven't watched but it got spoiled for me this morning. I saw articles about ESPN's coverage - don't read them if you don't want spoilers obviously - and it appears that they royally fucked up. Commercials during the wrong times, shitty commentary... I think I'll stick to my alternative means of procuring and watching races.
This is what pisses me off so much.

SKY Sports F1 coverage is hands down the best coverage out there. They don't cater to a "new" audience that doesn't exist like NBC did at times. ESPN Simulcast it. There's nothing wrong with the commentary at all - they have 10 people at the race every week and it's a who's who of F1 journalism.

The problem was that they missed 20+ minutes of the half hour pre-race show. Commercials were pre-programmed at set intervals for 3 minute blocks. The problem was it just an abrupt cut to commercial - the first couple at least went picture in picture, but happened in the beginning of the first(and only) pit window. The second round of commercials hit right as HAAS had their mishaps, so you lost commentary on it. Later in the race, they dropped the side-by-side commercial setup.

Because SKY broadcast the races commercial free, there's no natural breaks in the show to slot in commercials, and because ESPN are just throwing commercials over the top of the broadcast, if you miss something you don't get a "here's what you missed". At least NBC had an in-house replay center where they could go back to what happened during the break, and talk about it.

Quality of source coverage isn't the issue, it's just the delivery to us.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 pm Quality of source coverage isn't the issue, it's just the delivery to us.
Which means either no one from ESPN bothered to watch a race ahead of them (re?)broadcasting or they just did not care. Either way. it sucks.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

stripethree wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:32 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 pm Quality of source coverage isn't the issue, it's just the delivery to us.
Which means either no one from ESPN bothered to watch a race ahead of them (re?)broadcasting or they just did not care. Either way. it sucks.
The interesting thing though is the US TV deal was orchestrated by Liberty Media - F1's new owners arranged this whole deal on behalf of ESPN when they bought the rights.

I think they sabotaged it to drive people to the new F1 streaming app... that is behind schedule and not available yet.