Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 am Is it supposed to be fast ? I mean these things have a different purpose.
If you're not first you're last.
Jeep is not fast either, and who cares about a frame or solid axles? They are only beneficial in the .01% of driving that no one does on the regular, all other times they are huge detriments.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am
If you're not first you're last.
Jeep is not fast either, and who cares about a frame or solid axles? They are only beneficial in the .01% of driving that no one does on the regular, all other times they are huge detriments.
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

:triggered:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... b7da8c.htm

Random thought... so this new Compass, which looks like a baby JGC, is around $7500 off... it comes balls to the walls loaded. and is around $28,500 comes with a giant sunroof, 8.4 jewconnect, a decent awd system, leather, towing group, xenons, accident avoidance, etc.

That would be around $45k after flying to idaho and getting a discount on the wrangler...

that's just nuts. To most people there won't be a difference in the capabilities.

I am starting to think the new wrangler is :fullretard: outside of the strong resale value I don't see the point. This car does everything it does for 1/2 off.
This is one of those days when you did not take your meds and the bean counter has seized the embassy and is holding your car guy brain hostage.

Compass=Kill Yourself
Wrangler= Still alive.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... b7da8c.htm

Random thought... so this new Compass, which looks like a baby JGC, is around $7500 off... it comes balls to the walls loaded. and is around $28,500 comes with a giant sunroof, 8.4 jewconnect, a decent awd system, leather, towing group, xenons, accident avoidance, etc.

That would be around $45k after flying to idaho and getting a discount on the wrangler...

that's just nuts. To most people there won't be a difference in the capabilities.

I am starting to think the new wrangler is :fullretard: outside of the strong resale value I don't see the point. This car does everything it does for 1/2 off.
This is one of those days when you did not take your meds and the bean counter has seized the embassy and is holding your car guy brain hostage.

Compass=Kill Yourself
Wrangler= Still alive.
Explain why ? Outside of the usual quick to suicide point.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 pm
The cost of logistics might legit be going up.
Even BMW, who has deemed it a smart move to charge $80/yr for CarPlay, isn’t charging $1500 for destination. :bruh:
Pretty sure the average JL sold is more expensive than the average bmw. At least for now, and it has more profit per unit for sure
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Compass=Kill Yourself
Wrangler= Still alive.
I agree it's an improved Compass. But FCA products are going to be a tough sell with me unless they offer something unique, and that unique most often takes the form of stonking power. See Challenger and Charger variants. Or, in the case of the JK/JL, extreme offroad capability and burly looks, as well as stuff like removable doors and roof, etc.

But a four cylinder FCA mini-ute that depreciates at Mach 5? Life's too short. You know this, you're not acquiring sloppy seconds from the Poonman because you're being practical.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 pm
I agree it's an improved Compass. But FCA products are going to be a tough sell with me unless they offer something unique, and that unique most often takes the form of stonking power. See Challenger and Charger variants. Or, in the case of the JK/JL, extreme offroad capability and burly looks, as well as stuff like removable doors and roof, etc.

But a four cylinder FCA mini-ute that depreciates at Mach 5? Life's too short. You know this, you're not acquiring sloppy seconds from the Poonman because you're being practical.
He maybe, but the pricing of the JL is just seriously :fullretard: a utilitarian vehicle shouldn't be anywhere near 50k
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm

He maybe, but the pricing of the JL is just seriously :fullretard: a utilitarian vehicle shouldn't be anywhere near 50k
1. It is TBD whether FCA gets their full pound of flesh on JL's say 1.5 years from now once the "must have it" furor dies down.

2. The JL is NOT a utilitarian vehicle......the Compass is. The JL is, in many ways like a sports car. People buy it to be different, to be seen it , to "take the top off", to add 40K dollars worth of Poison Spyder :bruh:. It's a "fun vehicle".....not a utilitarian one.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm

1. It is TBD whether FCA gets their full pound of flesh on JL's say 1.5 years from now once the "must have it" furor dies down.

2. The JL is NOT a utilitarian vehicle......the Compass is. The JL is, in many ways like a sports car. People buy it to be different, to be seen it , to "take the top off", to add 40K dollars worth of Poison Spyder :bruh:. It's a "fun vehicle".....not a utilitarian one.
:triggered: :wrong:
max225

I meant utilitarian in terms of feature content and the fact that it essentially comes standard with a 6-year-old engine and transmission and rest of the car that dates back to 2007 which dates back to likely 2000 when they first started working on the frame.

We're not talking some space age shit here. The JL while "all new" truly isn't all it takes is 1 test drive to understand that.

They move 250k a year... and now are about to move 350k a year... the CHEAPEST one you can get in 4 door trim is around 40k (without a tent and window cranks). That's a shit ton of money....
The average vehicle price in the US is 32k, so that's a full 30% more... for something that's one of the top 10 best selling vehicles in the nation. The new model is a full 6k-8k more than the outgoing model which was right in line with the old POS.

6-8k for payment shoppers is no chump change.... they will likely "keep their payments" the same because JK trade in values are strong, but that won't last for a while either.

Only so many 20 year old vehicles with abysmal gas mileage can fill the mall parking lots.

All that said I really like the JL, but the pricing on it is :fullretard:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 pm

I meant utilitarian in terms of feature content and the fact that it essentially comes standard with a 6-year-old engine and transmission and rest of the car that dates back to 2007 which dates back to likely 2000 when they first started working on the frame.

We're not talking some space age shit here. The JL while "all new" truly isn't all it takes is 1 test drive to understand that.

They move 250k a year... and now are about to move 350k a year... the CHEAPEST one you can get in 4 door trim is around 40k (without a tent and window cranks). That's a shit ton of money....
The average vehicle price in the US is 32k, so that's a full 30% more... for something that's one of the top 10 best selling vehicles in the nation. The new model is a full 6k-8k more than the outgoing model which was right in line with the old POS.

6-8k for payment shoppers is no chump change.... they will likely "keep their payments" the same because JK trade in values are strong, but that won't last for a while either.

Only so many 20 year old vehicles with abysmal gas mileage can fill the mall parking lots.

They are charging what they think the traffic will bear. I don't think the upgrades warrant the hefty price either. But on the other hand they are not alone. GM absolutely makes crazy profit on Brahoes and Suburbans, why not join the party.

A major spike in gas prices will alter this whole thing, just like last time. I did pay $3.90/gallon a few days ago.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 pm

They are charging what they think the traffic will bear. I don't think the upgrades warrant the hefty price either. But on the other hand they are not alone. GM absolutely makes crazy profit on Brahoes and Suburbans, why not join the party.

A major spike in gas prices will alter this whole thing, just like last time. I did pay $3.90/gallon a few days ago.
I was paying $4.80 a gallon (back in 07-09) with my last jeep.... which is literally like paying $20 a gallon today (adjusted for inflation + income which went up a bit for me).

The rest of the country is at $2. and change, that won't change any time soon.

Anyone buying a new 40k jeep can easily afford to fill it up at $5 a gallon, as it still only presents a small upcharge. The main thing that will make them unaffordable is 1. interest rates, 2. lack of resale value) which will hit, just not sure yet as to when.

Jeep only managed to sell 15% more wranglers, while carrying the NEW and a heavily discounted old model side by side. Once the old model fades by the summer, the :dillerman: will have to start the heavy discounting on the new model.

That is my take, no way will the market bear a 40k+ wrangler.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I was paying $4.80 a gallon (back in 07-09) with my last jeep.... which is literally like paying $20 a gallon today (adjusted for inflation + income which went up a bit for me).

Anyone buying a new 40k jeep can easily afford to fill it up at $5 a gallon, as it still only presents a small upcharge. The main thing that will make them unaffordable is 1. interest rates, 2. lack of resale value) which will hit, just not sure yet as to when.

Jeep only managed to sell 15% more wranglers, while carrying the NEW and a heavily discounted old model side by side. Once the old model fades by the summer, the :dillerman: will have to start the heavy discounting on the new model.

My view is that when filling up your car hits $100, people start to question what the fuck they are doing.
And I hope your right about the discunt because I wouldn't mind replacing the Brahhoe with one of these, even though that's incredibly wasteful.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm

21.5 gallon tank * 3.80 a gallon ~82 fill up right now... not that far off... we're 6-12 months away from a billskie to fill your tank on this bad boy.
My view is that when filling up your car hits $100, people start to question what the fuck they are doing.
And I hope your right about the discunt because I wouldn't mind replacing the Brahhoe with one of these, even though that's incredibly wasteful.
max225

When else do you approach the limits of the Rubicunt... ?! man that thing is totally fucked underneith

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 pm

When else do you approach the limits of the Rubicunt... ?! man that thing is totally fucked underneith

This is straight :fullretard:

The "limits" of an offroader are different than a sports car or whatever. A Rubicon just makes it easier to do trails. You don't need to beat the fuck out of it to reach it's "limit". That's just clickbait :bs:
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, JLs have 21 gallon gas tanks? That's pushing Silverado size. :impressive:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm Also, JLs have 21 gallon gas tanks? That's pushing Silverado size. :impressive:
4 doors have
Jks have 22.5.
Ppl were bitching about the downsize ... enough mpg went up 10% and the size went down 5%
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm Also, JLs have 21 gallon gas tanks? That's pushing Silverado size. :impressive:
4 doors have
Jks have 22.5.
Ppl were bitching about the downsize ... enough mpg went up 10% and the size went down 5%
Somehow, I do not remember this. :notbad:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 am
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm
4 doors have
Jks have 22.5.
Somehow, I do not remember this. :notbad:
Well when you get 15mpg you fill up every 270-280 miles which isn’t that :impressive: when it comes to range
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Saw a JK last night with body matched (white) brush guard/stinger bar and wheels. “Savage” stickers where the normal Rubicon or Willy’s stickers would go. Dude mall crawls harder than anyone else.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote:Saw a JK last night with body matched (white) brush guard/stinger bar and wheels. “Savage” stickers where the normal Rubicon or Willy’s stickers would go. Dude mall crawls harder than anyone else.
Lot of rich kids in my area rolls around like thag too, and they yet don’t even mud. But from what I’m noticing it seems to be a dying trend. I see lot more that are actually went to muddin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

What the JEEP FK - The 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL's Price Is Already Jumping Up $750

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wran ... 1823629152
max225

Davestr wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm What the JEEP FK - The 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL's Price Is Already Jumping Up $750

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wran ... 1823629152
I guess you don't check this thread much... :iono: I bitched about this a bit ago. The current Wrangler pricing is :fullretard: It was tough to swallow before unless you flew 3 states to the only dealer discounting them to acceptable levels. Now they tagged on another $750