Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Very interesting! Keep the updates coming... I am really tempted to pick up this damn thing also.

http://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodge ... 19dbb1.htm

:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 am Very interesting! Keep the updates coming... I am really tempted to pick up this damn thing also.

:
I've never seen one that color.
:notbad:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 pm Image

Pics for Max, and since they were only in OT before.
congrats man! How many miles on the GTI when you dumped it?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Does the Willys get stiffer shocks as a more off-roady package? Interested to hear what you think after driving it around and commuting for a bit in it.
Highway impressions
Any wandering or vague steering at speed with the off road tires
Suspension thoughts and any wiggles or secondary motions etc
How easily the doggies get into it
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

congrats man! How many miles on the GTI when you dumped it?
157,072 was the final odometer reading iirc.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 am I dig it! Those are some knobby tires! Which car did you come from ? Also how do you like the manual and brakes ?

(I see the roof is off already :D)
I was still in my MKVI up until this. Love the manual, the direct linkage has a much more mechanical feel than the stock GTI did. Still getting used to the clutch feel, but my shifts are already smoothing out. No complaints about the brakes so far, but I haven’t really needed to get on them at all. Sitting in traffic to and from work today was fine for both the manual and the brakes.
Direct linkage in my car made me realize just how awful the cable shifter was in the GTI. I can totally see how the JK would have the better shifter.
I also think Porsche cable shifters are disgusting. But I know plenty would disagree with me.

I should test one of these out with the MT. Just for :science:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 am Very interesting! Keep the updates coming... I am really tempted to pick up this damn thing also.

:
I say go get it. That's a great price, nicely optioned, and it won't lose much if any value.

I like the terrorist sand color. Very military.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:23 am

Does the Willys get stiffer shocks as a more off-roady package? Interested to hear what you think after driving it around and commuting for a bit in it.
Highway impressions
Any wandering or vague steering at speed with the off road tires
Suspension thoughts and any wiggles or secondary motions etc
How easily the doggies get into it
I’m not sure on the stiffer shocks, but I could see that being the case just with how it’s felt on a few bumps in the road. Was actually much suffer feeling than I expected, which I appreciated since I liked how the GTI rode and did expect the Jeep to be very floaty compared to it.

Will report back on the rest over time.
SAWCE

Oh for JohnnyP, pups hop in and out of the back just fine for now, even with Kai being kinda timid in general. We usually won’t jump up on things that high. It’ll work as is for a few years, and then when he’s a bit older he’ll probably need some sort of assistance getting in and out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:
You should just go fucking do it. You know you want one. And they are screaming deals right now. Plus the manual won't be rendered obsolete in 2 months.
I am tempted to do the same thing myself and let my daughter scuff up the Brahoe but manual trucks are no fly zone with the woman. That would leave me with the 5 speed auto and I won't do that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 pm

:
You should just go fucking do it. You know you want one. And they are screaming deals right now. Plus the manual won't be rendered obsolete in 2 months.
I am tempted to do the same thing myself and let my daughter scuff up the Brahoe but manual trucks are no fly zone with the woman. That would leave me with the 5 speed auto and I won't do that.
Here is the Flan, I am going to my first BMW gangba... service in two weeks, as that's when it is the first available moment to do it. I'll see if I can do an early turn in... If I can... I will... Otherwise, I am not blowing $700 a month for nothing by parking it in my GAY-RAGE.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 am

:
I like the Tan as well, although Waxer's color is still my fave. What is that, Gloss Primer? I got your PM, can't respond because of Admin forcefield or some such.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Here is the Flan, I am going to my first BMW gangba... service in two weeks, as that's when it is the first available moment to do it. I'll see if I can do an early turn in... If I can... I will... Otherwise, I am not blowing $700 a month for nothing by parking it in my GAY-RAGE.
Makes sense.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 am

I like the Tan as well, although Waxer's color is still my fave. What is that, Gloss Primer? I got your PM, can't respond because of Admin forcefield or some such.
Weird, I can PM other members. Shoot it to my email. Merkledesigns@Gmail.com if you feel like it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 am

I was still in my MKVI up until this. Love the manual, the direct linkage has a much more mechanical feel than the stock GTI did. Still getting used to the clutch feel, but my shifts are already smoothing out. No complaints about the brakes so far, but I haven’t really needed to get on them at all. Sitting in traffic to and from work today was fine for both the manual and the brakes.
Direct linkage in my car made me realize just how awful the cable shifter was in the GTI. I can totally see how the JK would have the better shifter.
I also think Porsche cable shifters are disgusting. But I know plenty would disagree with me.

I should test one of these out with the MT. Just for :science:
I dunno about all that... I liked the GTI stick shift. I think this comes down to personal preference. My main issues with the JKU were pedal placement/clutchthrow and lack of power under 3500 rpm, perhaps due to the 3.21 but I :iono: . It made driving feel like a chore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Local enough Jeep :dillerman: has 81 JKU's in stock... Might have to go kick some tarz...
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm Local enough Jeep :dillerman: has 81 JKU's in stock... Might have to go kick some tarz...
Ours are kind of dwindling and seem to be getting really expensive hardcocks as of late... with 48-52k msrps :disgust:
Apex

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm Local enough Jeep :dillerman: has 81 JKU's in stock... Might have to go kick some tarz...
Ours are kind of dwindling and seem to be getting really expensive hardcocks as of late... with 48-52k msrps :disgust:
I rolled into the parking lot at work today and noticed someone grabbed a new Rubicon Recon. :waxer:
Apex

I may have sent out a couple Jeep inquiries today... In4testdrive phone calls.

:doomed:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm I may have sent out a couple Jeep inquiries today... In4testdrive phone calls.

:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm I may have sent out a couple Jeep inquiries today... In4testdrive phone calls.

Dang :impressive: I <3 that my Jeep love is contagious on here... we could all soon have a Jeep Thing out here.

What are the details? Models? Specs? MSRP?
Apex

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Dang :impressive: I <3 that my Jeep love is contagious on here... we could all soon have a Jeep Thing out here.

Something like a Big Bear, Willy’s, or Sport around 35k MSRP. Will have to see what lease dills are like. Preferred options would be 3.73s, auto, and LEDs.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Something like a Big Bear, Willy’s, or Sport around 35k MSRP. Will have to see what lease dills are like. Preferred options would be 3.73s, auto, and LEDs.
I'd skip the LED option and do it yourself afterwards.. Jeep charges $600 for the package, but Max linked the MOPAR lights for like $420...
max225

That is a though combo.
You have to get a sport S to get power doors/windows etc, + connectivity group+ Hardtop.
~35-36k msrp to get all that
Gears+LEDs are mostly spec's to higher trims and VERY hard to find.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:15 pm

I'd skip the LED option and do it yourself afterwards.. Jeep charges $600 for the package, but Max linked the MOPAR lights for like $420...
Actually scratch that.. I just saw that the $420 was per side, and the whole kit is $840. If you can find one with LEDs then :doit: