Lets talk about Tesla.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm

You guys will be super short on them for a bit... especially with Norway taking up most of the Euro supply.

I am starting to see them daily... but we're in the Mecca of autonomous and the electric car. :gay:
I see Model S daily and a few X models weekly now. Those models have been out for sometime now. Looking forward to seeing the first Mod-3, maybe summer......
Supposedly they will make 5-10x as many model 3s are the other models. But that remains to be seen really...
It is already 2018... and the car has been out since... "october"? ! This car is surely "SLOW" to hit the market. I believe they still make less 3's than S's

Some Tesla hate is justified, but their owners truly love them.
I think they are remarkable cars, panel gaps be damned. There is not a single other vehicle that comes close. Bolt is the only "ugly" competitor, and it seems to be a great car as well. I don't understand why GM hasn't made a cadillac that is better than a Tesla, they are surely capable.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:50 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm

I see Model S daily and a few X models weekly now. Those models have been out for sometime now. Looking forward to seeing the first Mod-3, maybe summer......
Supposedly they will make 5-10x as many model 3s are the other models. But that remains to be seen really...
It is already 2018... and the car has been out since... "october"? ! This car is surely "SLOW" to hit the market. I believe they still make less 3's than S's

Some Tesla hate is justified, but their owners truly love them.
I think they are remarkable cars, panel gaps be damned. There is not a single other vehicle that comes close. Bolt is the only "ugly" competitor, and it seems to be a great car as well. I don't understand why GM hasn't made a cadillac that is better than a Tesla, they are surely capable.
+1 on the majors not competing overall. Tesla is showing the way. Well said!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Some guy in a 100D left me searching for my doors in the weeds at a stoplight just yesterday. Forgot to chase him down and laugh at him for his panel gaps doe.

It is a good point that dbest makes....I can live with panel gaps but if my leather interior is shitting the bed like a five year old Hyundai on a 100K car, that would embitter me.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:02 pm Some guy in a 100D left me searching for my doors in the weeds at a stoplight just yesterday. Forgot to chase him down and laugh at him for his panel gaps doe.

It is a good point that dbest makes....I can live with panel gaps but if my leather interior is shitting the bed like a five year old Hyundai on a 100K car, that would embitter me.
They are fine with higher mileage as well. As with all cars they age. They are not inferior to Hyundai in terms of interior quality. Maybe MB/Porsche as they play in that price-range. But they are not terrible, certainly not class leading doe.

What is surprising is how well their "tech" held up. Their center screen is still class leading, and that thing has been out since 2012, which is an eternity for automotive infotainment. It is essentially a copy of Ios. Works super crisp etc.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:02 pm Some guy in a 100D left me searching for my doors in the weeds at a stoplight just yesterday. Forgot to chase him down and laugh at him for his panel gaps doe.

They are fine with higher mileage as well. As with all cars they age. They are not inferior to Hyundai in terms of interior quality. Maybe MB/Porsche as they play in that price-range. But they are not terrible, certainly not class leading doe.

What is surprising is how well their "tech" held up. Their center screen is still class leading, and that thing has been out since 2012, which is an eternity for automotive infotainment. It is essentially a copy of Ios. Works super crisp etc.
I'd be curious as to what the issues on high mileage Model S is, and also what the highest mileage Model S actually is......

I'm impressed at the random elitist locations I find Tesla Superchargers....Guadalupe Valley in Northern Baja, at this winery.......https://montexanic.com.mx/.......two superchargers right in front of the main entrance.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm

I'd be curious as to what the issues on high mileage Model S is, and also what the highest mileage Model S actually is......

I'm impressed at the random elitist locations I find Tesla Superchargers....Guadalupe Valley in Northern Baja, at this winery.......https://montexanic.com.mx/.......two superchargers right in front of the main entrance.
Well, the average Tesla sold is around 90k, so I don't see why they wouldn't focus on their core demographic.

Ain't nobody from Northern Pennsylvania buying a Tesla.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I have a few friends in CA that have Model S's...one dude since they came out...so going on 5 years?

He said it's the worst car he's ever owned...little shit just won't stay fixed. TPMS, the door handles biting him, he's been through a few drive units now, electrical gremlins, etc.

But he's :aintcare: because he's super :waxer: and expected it. And therein lies the problem. Tesla has solid reliability scores because the people that buy them are like my buddy and willing to dismiss a lot of the issues because they expect it being early adopters. I'm sure the Model 3 will be better from lessons learned, but it'll still use customers as beta testers. Are they willing to put up with that because of the brand halo? We'll see...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 am I have a few friends in CA that have Model S's...one dude since they came out...so going on 5 years?

He said it's the worst car he's ever owned...little shit just won't stay fixed. TPMS, the door handles biting him, he's been through a few drive units now, electrical gremlins, etc.

But he's :aintcare: because he's super :waxer: and expected it. And therein lies the problem. Tesla has solid reliability scores because the people that buy them are like my buddy and willing to dismiss a lot of the issues because they expect it being early adopters. I'm sure the Model 3 will be better from lessons learned, but it'll still use customers as beta testers. Are they willing to put up with that because of the brand halo? We'll see...
they are in the rare situation where they have brand loyalty for no real reason and are using it to their advantage. I bet the customer service is outstanding too. All those little/big issues can be :aintcare: when the manufacture takes care of you and does not try to get out of their own warranty like the big bois.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 am I have a few friends in CA that have Model S's...one dude since they came out...so going on 5 years?

they are in the rare situation where they have brand loyalty for no real reason and are using it to their advantage. I bet the customer service is outstanding too. All those little/big issues can be :aintcare: when the manufacture takes care of you and does not try to get out of their own warranty like the big bois.
Elon is an excellent marketer and salesman
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 am

My buddy said service was great at the beginning, but degraded significantly as more vehicles were sold. He said he often has to wait a month plus to get in for service now, regardless of what's wrong with the car. He thinks with more service centers, it would get better. Which Tesla has said they're going to build, so it'll probably be a non-issue.

The real issue won't be to the customer, but to the company. Warranty repairs are expensive. It's part of why initial quality is so important.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am My buddy said service was great at the beginning, but degraded significantly as more vehicles were sold. He said he often has to wait a month plus to get in for service now, regardless of what's wrong with the car. He thinks with more service centers, it would get better. Which Tesla has said they're going to build, so it'll probably be a non-issue.

The real issue won't be to the customer, but to the company. Warranty repairs are expensive. It's part of why initial quality is so important.
:nope:

Personally I love the idea, but I hate the futuristic theme of the whole interior. Give me a regular C300/A4/3-series with an all electric powertrain and as few gimmicks as possible, maybe I'd be interested someday. But the huge in-your-face screen and gaudy interiors are just a huge turn-off.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am My buddy said service was great at the beginning, but degraded significantly as more vehicles were sold. He said he often has to wait a month plus to get in for service now, regardless of what's wrong with the car. He thinks with more service centers, it would get better. Which Tesla has said they're going to build, so it'll probably be a non-issue.

:nope:

Personally I love the idea, but I hate the futuristic theme of the whole interior. Give me a regular C300/A4/3-series with an all electric powertrain and as few gimmicks as possible, maybe I'd be interested someday. But the huge in-your-face screen and gaudy interiors are just a huge turn-off.
He's :aintcare: because he has other cars to drive.

It'll be an issue for :derp: s replacing their Corollas with Model 3's, doe. But I think Tesla is aware and is beefing up service capability accordingly. They know it'll be :nuke: if they don't.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ludicrous mode doesn't hurt. Around town, these things are stoplight heroes against anything less than AWD Porsche Turbos or Doge Demons.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Ludicrous mode doesn't hurt. Around town, these things are stoplight heroes against anything less than AWD Porsche Turbos or Doge Demons.
Model 3 doesn't have that, doe.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Model 3 isn't competing in the same price range. it is a solid 30-40k less than a model S. Still expensive tho...
max225

The hate from Detroit (pun not intended) makes some sense, you got a company that is held to different standards. They have to employ ppl that make 2x as much as the average :mahtroy: in Detroit... They are doing it in the most expensive area in the country in terms of real estate, which makes little sense. And Detroit hasn't been able to catch up with Tesla because they would burn through so much cash that their investors will FK em up... Tesla is not expected to make money doe...

However, one could wonder what would happen if Detroit went :aintcare: and built a :fuckyeah: electric car that is better than Tesla. I know they can... FK the balance sheet, shouldwould they be rewarded ? that's the real question here.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah I'm not buying a Model 3. The ONLY thing that makes a model S worth buying IMHO is the blazing acceleration. It's a tired design now, other cars have nicer interiors and handle better, and I give zero fucks about whatever Pay Area cachet is attached to them. They are too expensive to make the gas savings attractive. Drop dat hammer doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm The hate from Detroit (pun not intended) makes some sense, you got a company that is held to different standards. They have to employ ppl that make 2x as much as the average :mahtroy: in Detroit... They are doing it in the most expensive area in the country in terms of real estate, which makes little sense. And Detroit hasn't been able to catch up with Tesla because they would burn through so much cash that their investors will FK em up... Tesla is not expected to make money doe...

However, one could wonder what would happen if Detroit went :aintcare: and built a :fuckyeah: electric car that is better than Tesla. I know they can... FK the balance sheet, shouldwould they be rewarded ? that's the real question here.
Indeed. That really is the question. I think a lot of Tesla's success is the FU attitude. People want to be part of something new...something different. Tesla represents a fresh take on a dinosaur industry. If Detroit were to produce something awesome, would anyone actually buy it?

:iono: :notsure:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Yeah I'm not buying a Model 3. The ONLY thing that makes a model S worth buying IMHO is the blazing acceleration. It's a tired design now, other cars have nicer interiors and handle better, and I give zero fucks about whatever Pay Area cachet is attached to them. They are too expensive to make the gas savings attractive. Drop dat hammer doe.
I don't think anyone buys the model S for gas savings. :gay: you get it because
#nofossilfuel
#zerocarbon
#voltsnotdino
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:18 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm The hate from Detroit (pun not intended) makes some sense, you got a company that is held to different standards. They have to employ ppl that make 2x as much as the average :mahtroy: in Detroit... They are doing it in the most expensive area in the country in terms of real estate, which makes little sense. And Detroit hasn't been able to catch up with Tesla because they would burn through so much cash that their investors will FK em up... Tesla is not expected to make money doe...

Indeed. That really is the question. I think a lot of Tesla's success is the FU attitude. People want to be part of something new...something different. Tesla represents a fresh take on a dinosaur industry. If Detroit were to produce something awesome, would anyone actually buy it?

Even the "shitty" bolt is outselling the Tesla models here, but I am pretty sure it is a money-losing proposition. Now imagine if GM actually styled it nicely... and put a few extra Bs of RD into it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

IMO, Detroit would also get crucified in the market at the first quarter earnings report if they went :fullretard: into EV to combat Tesla.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Even the "shitty" bolt is outselling the Tesla models here, but I am pretty sure it is a money-losing proposition. Now imagine if GM actually styled it nicely... and put a few extra Bs of RD into it.
We'll find out sooner than you think...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 pm

IMO, Detroit would also get crucified in the market at the first quarter earnings report if they went :fullretard: into EV to combat Tesla.
:dat:

The stock price would get pummeled.

However, the stock price saw a solid lift when the CEO leaked the EV strategy, so...maybe not?
max225

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 pm

They are selling Truks at a :fullretard: pace to offset any negative impacts. And I think it would actually truly bolster their stock especially if they make a better car. It makes it a 0 sense argument to go Tesla.

PPL aren't THAT dumb... especially EV shoppers. They will pick the better car not the better brand. We're not talking poverty uneducated Trump voters that purchase these things. These Ppl do their research.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm
We'll find out sooner than you think...
I am rooting for Detroit. I think it would be nice to see a bit of a "renaissance" in that area, more so than what has already happened.

Also, I love that America is still at the forefront for all this.

MAGA