Lets talk about Tesla.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

NeonJonny wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:35 pm

What UPS really needs are local delivery trucks on electric. I imagine their fuel costs are astronomical for the little piddly bs short trips these trucks endure, especially with starting and stopping the diesel engines so often.
Ever heard of Cintas?
They are a rather large company that supply cleaning agents, uniforms, TP, rugs for restaurants and industrial facilities. A lot of their trucks are hybrids but they all break so they just run on only gas. kinda sad/funny but whatcha gonna do? Since they had such a poor experience with hybrids in the past it might be a while before they try again.
We keep shutting down electrical power plants and building more houses. It'll be interesting to see what happens in 15 years or even ten.
No new housing without solar. I think its a great idea.
The Cintas guy here uses an old beat to shit bread van that I think used to be a Tastykake delivery vehicle.

City buses doe. SEPTA at least keeps buying hybrids. I'm sure they're saving an assload of money on fuel. Their entire lives are start/stop and as such they get single digit fuel mileage. Conditions where a robust hybrid system would thrive. I imagine most UPS / FedEx / USPS / other delivery service cargo haulers would benefit from something similar.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:38 pm]
Id like to hear your feels when you are ready
In my opinion they are realatively poorly built cars that don’t even come close to warranting their price tag. It’s actually quite the anomaly as to why they are thought of so highly. Its of a mix of smug owners that feel part of an elusive and exclusive cool kids club and then you throw in that it’s typically not the owners only vehicle and they happily accept the flaws in exchange for the technology, the acceleration, and the status of having one.

The fit and finish is impressively bad. Gaps and fitment, the attention to detail is not there. The quality of materials isn’t up to par against what the competition at the price point uses, it makes me think Hyndai Genesis “luxury” cars - they look good when new but leave plenty to be desired in terms of wear and tear. They aren’t bad cars it’s just taken some very clever company branding and marketing to have them actually sell at the price point they did and have customers love them. The acceleration is phenomenal, the technology is starting to age a bit, nowadays they are actually falling behind the latest and greatest offerings from the luxury brands. Looks are subjective but I like it, clean lines, clean interior, the ergonomics are good, it’s roomy. Overall it’s a “cool” car, it’s very safe, it’s solid, it’s techy enough to make you feel like it’s special, but it just doesn’t quite measure up when you take the blinders off and look at it objectively.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dbest wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:37 pm
In my opinion they are realatively poorly built cars that don’t even come close to warranting their price tag. It’s actually quite the anomaly as to why they are thought of so highly. Its of a mix of smug owners that feel part of an elusive and exclusive cool kids club and then you throw in that it’s typically not the owners only vehicle and they happily accept the flaws in exchange for the technology, the acceleration, and the status of having one.

The fit and finish is impressively bad. Gaps and fitment, the attention to detail is not there. The quality of materials isn’t up to par against what the competition at the price point uses, it makes me think Hyndai Genesis “luxury” cars - they look good when new but leave plenty to be desired in terms of wear and tear. They aren’t bad cars it’s just taken some very clever company branding and marketing to have them actually sell at the price point they did and have customers love them. The acceleration is phenomenal, the technology is starting to age a bit, nowadays they are actually falling behind the latest and greatest offerings from the luxury brands. Looks are subjective but I like it, clean lines, clean interior, the ergonomics are good, it’s roomy. Overall it’s a “cool” car, it’s very safe, it’s solid, it’s techy enough to make you feel like it’s special, but it just doesn’t quite measure up when you take the blinders off and look at it objectively.
Link to another manufacturer that provides an electic car with it's own free charging network that goes 0-60 quicker than any other non exotic in the world and can carry 7 ppl for 120k? Oh and one that has more than 300+ miles of range
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Dbest wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:37 pm In my opinion they are realatively poorly built cars that don’t even come close to warranting their price tag. It’s actually quite the anomaly as to why they are thought of so highly. Its of a mix of smug owners that feel part of an elusive and exclusive cool kids club and then you throw in that it’s typically not the owners only vehicle and they happily accept the flaws in exchange for the technology, the acceleration, and the status of having one.

Link to another manufacturer that provides an electic car with it's own free charging network that goes 0-60 quicker than any other non exotic in the world and can carry 7 ppl for 120k? Oh and one that has more than 300+ miles of range
Look, a squirrel!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:47 pm
max225 wrote:
Look, a squirrel!
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Commercial vehicle powertrain discussion :boner:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I rode in one about a year ago. The owner was super :boner: about it but riding in it seemed average. The interior quality is rental car, but it pulls hard and linear. If i had a free charging station at work and some kind or work subsidy I'd scoop one up for the driving lulz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dbest wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:37 pm

I can totally see all of that being true even though I've never experienced one.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I agree that a lot of Tesla is hype. I've got a friend that HATES Elon Musk with a passion but I like that he's pushing boundaries and basically Tony Stark'n it out. Jay Leno had a really good line in an interview where he didn't get the hate for the guy or the company. You've got an American company that's making progress and doing it all on our own soil, and people are just hating on him.
Sure, some of his goals are a little ambitious, and he might over hype things, but it's the same with Apple. They overhype their products and the fan boys defend it to death. The rest of us are all *MEH* and don't worry about it.

I will agree that the styling is a little bland. I remember all the hype for that one car that was under a certain price point, and then it came out and it had virtually zero detailing to the dashboard, and just had a monitor slapped on it. All that hype for that? LOL. No cuz, that's beyond too minimalist.
Johnny_P

I want a Tesla :iono: If I had a charging spot that is. And if the 3 were real and available.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:30 am I want a Tesla :iono: If I had a charging spot that is. And if the 3 were real and available.
I think it will be in 6 months for sure.
max225

They out there... no where near 500k a year out there.... but honestly they won't ever sell 500k a year...

Maybe 120-150k by year 2.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:30 am I want a Tesla :iono: If I had a charging spot that is. And if the 3 were real and available.
$35k, quick, and never have to pay for gas or oil changes again in your life sounds pretty awesome to me.
They gotta fix the interiors and exterior looks doe.
And the reliability is going to be watched closely on this one.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:15 pm

$35k, quick, and never have to pay for gas or oil changes again in your life sounds pretty awesome to me.
There are plenty of teslas with a lot of miles. Their batteries are shockingly good. They barely lose power over time unlike others.

considering the 3 has a lot less trick bs that breaks unlike the model S. It should fare better.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 pm

There are plenty of teslas with a lot of miles. Their batteries are shockingly good. They barely lose power over time unlike others.

considering the 3 has a lot less trick bs that breaks unlike the model S. It should fare better.
Yeah I love the concept.
Johnny_P

Model 3 owner taking a road trip

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-owne ... 1821646237
Problems reported here in 3 days if i’m not wrong: 1. Air bag light. 2. Tire pressure sensor. 3. Charging lid. 4. Wipers knock. 5. Music system noises. 6. Service response malfunction. 7. Loud pop in back and warning light. 8. 12v plug not working. 9. Low quality wiper blades leaving strikes. 10. Time zone recognition. 11. Mistakes in charging rates calculation. And low quality “upgraded” music system.
:disgust:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:14 pm Model 3 owner taking a road trip

Problems reported here in 3 days if i’m not wrong: 1. Air bag light. 2. Tire pressure sensor. 3. Charging lid. 4. Wipers knock. 5. Music system noises. 6. Service response malfunction. 7. Loud pop in back and warning light. 8. 12v plug not working. 9. Low quality wiper blades leaving strikes. 10. Time zone recognition. 11. Mistakes in charging rates calculation. And low quality “upgraded” music system.
Plebe should have bought a Model S.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

And this is the issue with approaching automotive development like software development. Minimum viable product doesn't work in this world.
Also makes the consumer the number 1 beta tester.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:

And this is the issue with approaching automotive development like software development. Minimum viable product doesn't work in this world.
What do you mean it doesn't work? They're selling cars faster than they can make them.
max225

You you Xue :disgust:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3- ... 1821684820

The Tesla Model 3 Makes The Future Feel Normal -- I find this to be an interesting read overall. Would like to test at some point......
Davestr

+1 on all. Id like to test it. Then id get one 2 -3 years from now assuming the company continues to be viable.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3- ... 1821684820

The Tesla Model 3 Makes The Future Feel Normal -- I find this to be an interesting read overall. Would like to test at some point......
You guys will be super short on them for a bit... especially with Norway taking up most of the Euro supply.

I am starting to see them daily... but we're in the Mecca of autonomous and the electric car. :gay:
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3- ... 1821684820

You guys will be super short on them for a bit... especially with Norway taking up most of the Euro supply.

I am starting to see them daily... but we're in the Mecca of autonomous and the electric car. :gay:
I see Model S daily and a few X models weekly now. Those models have been out for sometime now. Looking forward to seeing the first Mod-3, maybe summer......