Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm Hard to say. I just wish it was cheaper to change the color of a car.
I hear ya, the E30 needs a good paint job, and of course, I want silver or blue, and the car is currently black.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am
Melon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:49 am

:word:

I was asking if you considered a dip.
Looks like it's $500 all-in if you buy the dipyourcar sprayer. Which is cheaper than any other option by at least 150%. My concern is getting it to look decent and then how long it'll last and if it'll start peeling, etc.

:notsure:
Great idea. Put on an air suspension and some Lambo doors at the same time.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am
Looks like it's $500 all-in if you buy the dipyourcar sprayer. Which is cheaper than any other option by at least 150%. My concern is getting it to look decent and then how long it'll last and if it'll start peeling, etc.

:notsure:
Great idea. Put on an air suspension and some Lambo doors at the same time.
Already got them on eBay. Overnight parts from China, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am
Melon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:05 am

Decent is a matter of keeping it clean, and not scrubbing the fuck out of it when you wash it.
Also, keep gas and other chems off of the surface, it will distort the color. Other than that, it's pretty :aintcare:
Have you ever dipped a car or know someone that has? I'm quite curious and can't find anyone I know that's done it.

The car is pretty babied as it is. Washed weekly always by hand the driveway, in the garage always (even at work). Maybe it's a good candidate for dip...
How many buckets ?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:59 pm
Have you ever dipped a car or know someone that has? I'm quite curious and can't find anyone I know that's done it.

The car is pretty babied as it is. Washed weekly always by hand the driveway, in the garage always (even at work). Maybe it's a good candidate for dip...
How many buckets ?
My gf actually bought me the "connected two buckets" from Adams. With gritguards brah. I thought it was cool gift but the truth is that if you're actually depositing grit into your wash bucket you have not rinsed the car off sufficiently.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:59 pm

How many buckets ?
My gf actually bought me the "connected two buckets" from Adams. With gritguards brah. I thought it was cool gift but the truth is that if you're actually depositing grit into your wash bucket you have not rinsed the car off sufficiently.
:dislike: I will never understand it...

Like a show car will never get dirty enough to get to benefit from a two bucket method. And doing it on a daily is :fullretard:

Ppl are strange creatures... then again I spend several hours a day discussing vehicles on a no-name forum.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've tried the two bucket method, but don't really get it. The car just is never THAT dirty.

I do have a grit guard in my 5 gal bucket. It is kind of amazing how much dirt falls to the bottom...but it seems like with the grit guard, that should be good enough?

None of my cars have flawless paint, so :aintcare: . The front bumper on the C5 seems to be fading a bit at the bottom, so will probably need to be repainted at some point and I may car more then.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I've dipped whole cars before. And lots of little parts. The rear fascia of the C5 is dipped black currently.
Look into a white base coat, and then go with your colors. Dipyourcar.com has shit tons of tutorials for how to do it. DO NOT RATTLE CAN AN ENTIRE CAR. It will look like shit. Rattle can small parts and odds and ends.
It's worth it to get their sprayer as it's got great atomization. I considered doing some of mine in black just for the hell of it.
Their glossifier is the shit. Washing isn't a huge deal as long as you're consistent with what you're washing it with.
Make sure you don't skimp on coats too. I had my Vrod tank shell done and I only did a couple of coats and it started peeling in places and it's a pain in the ass to get off if it doesn't stick to itself when you're pulling it off.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 pm I've dipped whole cars before. And lots of little parts. The rear fascia of the C5 is dipped black currently.
Look into a white base coat, and then go with your colors. Dipyourcar.com has shit tons of tutorials for how to do it. DO NOT RATTLE CAN AN ENTIRE CAR. It will look like shit. Rattle can small parts and odds and ends.
It's worth it to get their sprayer as it's got great atomization. I considered doing some of mine in black just for the hell of it.
Their glossifier is the shit. Washing isn't a huge deal as long as you're consistent with what you're washing it with.
Make sure you don't skimp on coats too. I had my Vrod tank shell done and I only did a couple of coats and it started peeling in places and it's a pain in the ass to get off if it doesn't stick to itself when you're pulling it off.
Oh awesome! Real info!

If I did it, I'd buy the entire kit with sprayer from dipyourcar. $500 all-in to change the color is somewhat zfg why not.

Do you have experience with peeling it off? I wonder how tough it is to remove completely.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 pm I've dipped whole cars before. And lots of little parts. The rear fascia of the C5 is dipped black currently.
Oh awesome! Real info!

If I did it, I'd buy the entire kit with sprayer from dipyourcar. $500 all-in to change the color is somewhat zfg why not.

Do you have experience with peeling it off? I wonder how tough it is to remove completely.

If you do it proper and go thick on the coats on the layers they tell you to (the dipyourcar.com diy), then it's stupid easy to peel. You can pull it completely off the car in under 5 minutes. But if you go thin, it'll break and be a bitch. They made videos about that as well, light coats compared to heavy. I'm subscribed to their youtube channel and they're constantly posting new tutorials and new color previews.
Acid666

When I get free and can get to my computer I'll link all the best diy vids they made.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm My gf actually bought me the "connected two buckets" from Adams. With gritguards brah. I thought it was cool gift but the truth is that if you're actually depositing grit into your wash bucket you have not rinsed the car off sufficiently.
:dislike: I will never understand it...

Like a show car will never get dirty enough to get to benefit from a two bucket method. And doing it on a daily is :fullretard:

Ppl are strange creatures... then again I spend several hours a day discussing vehicles on a no-name forum.
SPRAY THE GRIT OFF with thr power washer first lol
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm Yeah, not just "Monthly Payment" - actual all-in transportation costs. Assume it's your only car too, so no bro-discounts on insurance for having $200k in vehicles insured.
I don't really get a discount for multi-car because they all go over 7500 miles a year. No matter what I buy my insurance is $80-$110 a month, depending on the value of the car.

Amortize the cost of a C5 over a couple years and I bet it's more than $350/month.
:nope:

That is my all in, spread sheeted, real cost including fuel, insurance, depreciation, maintenance, repairs.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

I don't really get a discount for multi-car because they all go over 7500 miles a year. No matter what I buy my insurance is $80-$110 a month, depending on the value of the car.

Amortize the cost of a C5 over a couple years and I bet it's more than $350/month.

That is my all in, spread sheeted, real cost including fuel, insurance, depreciation, maintenance, repairs.
Why are comparing it to :waxer:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 pm

He said that his C7Z06 really doesn't cost more than a C5, I was letting him know that he's a delusional rich guy. :mahtroy:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 pm
He said that his C7Z06 really doesn't cost more than a C5, I was letting him know that he's a delusional rich guy. :mahtroy:
:idbu:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Dip is great for a track car, like the Miata of Lagunasecaballs/Husbrandon.

But for Gandalf? Nah.

It’s not gonna look pretty up close.
Probably. :(

Damned Sebring Orange on the C7 has clouded my brain. The want is unbelievable.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Dip is great for a track car, like the Miata of Lagunasecaballs/Husbrandon.

But for Gandalf? Nah.

It’s not gonna look pretty up close.

So, pick a fire.

Another $5-9K on paint on the C5, or put it into the pot and get a C7.

If you do it on the C5 it is purely money lost other than your satisfaction, but I think the newer car gives more satisfaction per $.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Garage first. Then fancy cars.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:48 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 am

So, pick a fire.

Another $5-9K on paint on the C5, or put it into the pot and get a C7.

If you do it on the C5 it is purely money lost other than your satisfaction, but I think the newer car gives more satisfaction per $.
I'll never paint the C5. That's :fullretard: status :wasteful: . I'd much rather just put that toward a new car.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 am Garage first. Then fancy cars.
Correct. But I want an orange car now.

:baby:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:34 pm

:dat:

I've had this one as my desktop wallpaper for years now.

Definitely need a real garage before I ever get anything interesting again :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I've had this one as my desktop wallpaper for years now.

Definitely need a real garage before I ever get anything interesting again :doe:
:jimp: :jimp: :jimp:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:millennial:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.