2016 taxes

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.

What is your effective federal tax rate?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 pm

0-5% EIC 4 lyfe :mahtroy:
No votes
6-10% Poverty life :flaccid:
14%
11-15% lower middle class: zone of :rage:
7%
16-20 % Middle class :troywax:
14%
21-25% upper middle class :alpo:
36%
26-30% lower :waxer: class
21%
31-40% :waxer: class
7%
41 and up :thankstrump:
No votes

Total votes: 14
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Right at about 21% this year. Last year was about the same.

My company's effective tax rate was 24.6% (FWIW full year revenue was 17.5B)

Some :rage: with how we earn bonuses: we get paid on overall company performance vs. whatever plan the executives set at the beginning of the year. This year we fell below plan - still get a bonus but it's about 30% less than what it would've been had we met the "plan". Meanwhile share price is up over 50% for the year...so shareholders get richer...working stiffs get :iono:

I'm really just :mindblown: over the Company's focus on share price, they refuse to spend the money they need to fix things and make big cuts in budgets in order to keep the bottom line up and the shareholders happy. Current CEO is :wtf:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 am
4zilch wrote:Right at about 21% this year. Last year was about the same.

Some :rage: with how we earn bonuses: we get paid on overall company performance vs. whatever plan the executives set at the beginning of the year. This year we fell below plan - still get a bonus but it's about 30% less than what it would've been had we met the "plan". Meanwhile share price is up over 50% for the year...so shareholders get richer...working stiffs get :iono:

I'm really just :mindblown: over the Company's focus on share price, they refuse to spend the money they need to fix things and make big cuts in budgets in order to keep the bottom line up and the shareholders happy. Current CEO is :wtf:
Polish up that resume. Shareprice focused companies often don't last very long.
They're not going anywhere anytime soon; the current leadership is :dislike: IMO. I'm just annoyed at what I know about how the business is performing vs. what the shareholders are experiencing. Not that anything illegal is happening, it's just :bs: messaging. Also salty that I sold off my shares at the start of the year based on how the company was projected to perform...yet share price is up almost 50% :derp:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:53 am Right at about 21% this year. Last year was about the same.

Thats the issue with publically traded companies these days, there is not a focus on long term output.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:42 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Thats the issue with publically traded companies these days, there is not a focus on long term output.
When we went public here our CEO said something mind blowingly awesome:

"I don't want anyone doing anything for the shareholders. I want you doing it for the client. If we do well by the client everything else will fall into place and we will do right by the shareholders."
:dat: is the right mentality, and the way we used to do business from the top down until about 2012....when the new CEO took the reigns...

The last few years have been pretty frustrating., but too long to discuss ITT. Perhaps in another thread, on another day.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:03 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:42 am
When we went public here our CEO said something mind blowingly awesome:

"I don't want anyone doing anything for the shareholders. I want you doing it for the client. If we do well by the client everything else will fall into place and we will do right by the shareholders."
:dat: is the right mentality, and the way we used to do business from the top down until about 2012....when the new CEO took the reigns...

The last few years have been pretty frustrating., but too long to discuss ITT. Perhaps in another thread, on another day.
:ohdang:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:13 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:53 am Right at about 21% this year. Last year was about the same.

I think the Company has a decent long term vision, how they go there though is :notsure: Unfortunately the last couple of years of "streamlining" and "consolidation" has led to a lot of :rage: among the working stiffs mostly due to a lack of clear guidance on day-to-day work and goals. We've also increased layers middle management which isn't good for anyone...it basically turns into a bunch of people trying to justify their :bs: job.

I used to have 3 layers of management between me and the CEO...now it's 7 or 8.....and I'm still in the same role :dafuq:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:04 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:03 am

:ohdang:
I try to keep things in perspective. It's still a good company to work for, so as long as they keep paying me and keep my pension funded then I try to be :aintcare: about it all.

Some people have jumped ship....Ill let them figure out if the grass is greener and then decide what makes sense for me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:13 am

I think the Company has a decent long term vision, how they go there though is :notsure: Unfortunately the last couple of years of "streamlining" and "consolidation" has led to a lot of :rage: among the working stiffs mostly due to a lack of clear guidance on day-to-day work and goals. We've also increased layers middle management which isn't good for anyone...it basically turns into a bunch of people trying to justify their :bs: job.

I used to have 3 layers of management between me and the CEO...now it's 7 or 8.....and I'm still in the same role :dafuq:
:wtf: :rolleyes:

bunch of accountants designing by committee.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

A fraction under 25% before taking into account sales tax, property taxes, vehicle registrations, gas taxes, etc. Add all that up and it's :mindblown: how much the gubmint takes from a pair of decent-earning but far from real :waxer: DINKs.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Maybe I'm missing the point here but can anyone show me where they feel forced to buy cars and shit that they know will get taxed beforehand?

I understand the whole taxation BS but I don't think it's fair to count something that is an additional expenditure that isn't flat across the board for everyone. Someone buying a Corolla will not pay as much in tax as someone buying a Bentley and therefore it's redundant to include that as part of this thread. I can understand a house property tax, etc. but even that has to deal with local values, and discretionary spending (i.e you can CHOOSE which house/apartment/etc to buy, it's not forced upon you).

Sales tax is the same too, you pay for what you buy. I don't see where the :wtf: :rage: is with that. Income tax will always take the biggest chunk, and luckily in Florida there is no state income tax, only sales tax. But I feels for states that have both state and federal income tax, that is :rage: right there. But all of the other stuff is purely discretionary and dependent on each individual.

That's just the way I perceive it. And I may be 100% wrong. If I am, someone please take the time to explain it to me
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

i guess im going to hammer ours out today. Im about 80% finished with the inputting of numbers on turbrotax
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

browsing this group tax slayer.... That estimated person can go fuck themself.

made $28,500. gets $6800. that EIC.. :rage:

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:Maybe I'm missing the point here but can anyone show me where they feel forced to buy cars and shit that they know will get taxed beforehand?

I understand the whole taxation BS but I don't think it's fair to count something that is an additional expenditure that isn't flat across the board for everyone. Someone buying a Corolla will not pay as much in tax as someone buying a Bentley and therefore it's redundant to include that as part of this thread. I can understand a house property tax, etc. but even that has to deal with local values, and discretionary spending (i.e you can CHOOSE which house/apartment/etc to buy, it's not forced upon you).

Sales tax is the same too, you pay for what you buy. I don't see where the :wtf: :rage: is with that. Income tax will always take the biggest chunk, and luckily in Florida there is no state income tax, only sales tax. But I feels for states that have both state and federal income tax, that is :rage: right there. But all of the other stuff is purely discretionary and dependent on each individual.

That's just the way I perceive it. And I may be 100% wrong. If I am, someone please take the time to explain it to me
You can also choose not to work so you pay no income tax... but it's not really a choice. Neither is never doing anything with money to avoid paying tax.

The issue isn't any one thing in particular, it's how they all stack up. As I posted near the beginning of the thread, we are paying a roughly 45% effective tax rate in total and that's living a largely :scrooge: lifestyle in a relatively low cost of living area.

For example we pay federal AND state AND county AND city income tax... in middle of nowhere KY for fuck's sake. :wtf:

For vehicles we pay sales/use tax at purchase time AND annual property tax (and high insurance prices because NO FAULT). :wtf:
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 am
razr390 wrote:Maybe I'm missing the point here but can anyone show me where they feel forced to buy cars and shit that they know will get taxed beforehand?

Move to Florida.

I'm surprised A republican state such as Kentucky is so tax heavy on this shit

You can also choose not to work so you pay no income tax... but it's not really a choice. Neither is never doing anything with money to avoid paying tax.

The issue isn't any one thing in particular, it's how they all stack up. As I posted near the beginning of the thread, we are paying a roughly 45% effective tax rate in total and that's living a largely :scrooge: lifestyle in a relatively low cost of living area.

For example we pay federal AND state AND county AND city income tax... in middle of nowhere KY for fuck's sake. :wtf:

For vehicles we pay sales/use tax at purchase time AND annual property tax (and high insurance prices because NO FAULT). :wtf:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Looks like im getting that money back this year after itemizing truck expenses for rental property.

:plac: tax profit.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 am *snip*

The :rage: is taxes are bullshit. 20+% of your income directly to government, then when you buy every other thing you get another x% tacked on via sales tax.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:40 am Looks like im getting that money back this year after itemizing truck expenses for rental property.

Property you disposed of in 2016 at a YUGE :plac: profit? :yeahok:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:42 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:40 am Looks like im getting that money back this year after itemizing truck expenses for rental property.

Property you disposed of in 2016 at a YUGE :plac: profit? :yeahok:
you pretty salty on these taxes.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 am

The :rage: is taxes are bullshit. 20+% of your income directly to government, then when you buy every other thing you get another x% tacked on via sales tax.
nearly every working person has about 40-50% of their income taxed. add it up. use taxes, income taxes. such wtf.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Add in the cost of healthcare, and we might as well just move to Denmark.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 am Add in the cost of healthcare, and we might as well just move to Denmark.
5/7 would live in Denmark.
razr390

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 am

:iono:

Society wants less taxes but expects the government to provide more shit. I'll agree with you that there needs to be more transparency, accountability and cost-effectiveness on spending that occurs at the federal/state levels, but still.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 am Add in the cost of healthcare, and we might as well just move to Denmark.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 am The :rage: is taxes are bullshit. 20+% of your income directly to government, then when you buy every other thing you get another x% tacked on via sales tax.

Society wants less taxes but expects the government to provide more shit. I'll agree with you that there needs to be more transparency, accountability and cost-effectiveness on spending that occurs at the federal/state levels, but still.
I don't want lower taxes. I want the progressive curve to be maintained all the way up to zillionaire megacorps so that we can pay off debts and maintain infrastructure and improve schools.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:23 am
razr390 wrote:

I don't want lower taxes. I want the progressive curve to be maintained all the way up to zillionaire megacorps so that we can pay off debts and maintain infrastructure and improve schools.
I'll agree with you on that. My comment was directed to Brad :fax: because all he does is :rage: against government and taxes.