Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 am This was inevitable. :iono:
:dat:

horse was so high
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I was going to post in here to see if anyone's got some insight. I get quarterly 401k letters in the mail going over the status of it, but I check it every pay period. It's gone down the last 2 pay periods by a couple of grand. And I'm like... Ok fluctuation... but what the hell. I check my last statement that I got in the mail and it's showing that it's $7 grand higher than it's showing for my online login that I assumed was almost a real time number. Not sure which to believe.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 am I was going to post in here to see if anyone's got some insight. I get quarterly 401k letters in the mail going over the status of it, but I check it every pay period. It's gone down the last 2 pay periods by a couple of grand. And I'm like... Ok fluctuation... but what the hell. I check my last statement that I got in the mail and it's showing that it's $7 grand higher than it's showing for my online login that I assumed was almost a real time number. Not sure which to believe.
online is real time. those are generated and only a snap shot. Sometimes they have a longer average on the papers quarterly statements as well. Honestly, just check its twice a year.

Its not like you are going to remove the 401k funds and cash out. So just let it ride, unless you feel we will spiral into a dark abyss and there will be WW3. Then do what you must.
Acid666

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:19 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 am I was going to post in here to see if anyone's got some insight. I get quarterly 401k letters in the mail going over the status of it, but I check it every pay period. It's gone down the last 2 pay periods by a couple of grand. And I'm like... Ok fluctuation... but what the hell. I check my last statement that I got in the mail and it's showing that it's $7 grand higher than it's showing for my online login that I assumed was almost a real time number. Not sure which to believe.
online is real time. those are generated and only a snap shot. Sometimes they have a longer average on the papers quarterly statements as well. Honestly, just check its twice a year.

Its not like you are going to remove the 401k funds and cash out. So just let it ride, unless you feel we will spiral into a dark abyss and there will be WW3. Then do what you must.
Yeah I take the ups and downs with a grain of salt, but when I saw 2-3 pay periods of it going down I'm like.... how's it going down, I put about $1K in it in the last few checks and it's just sinking. The paper statement was from like, 2 weeks ago, so it's not like it was last quarter. Lemme check it again today just to do it.
Same amount as yesterday. But it starting dropping on 10/11/2018
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am

Yeah I take the ups and downs with a grain of salt, but when I saw 2-3 pay periods of it going down I'm like.... how's it going down, I put about $1K in it in the last few checks and it's just sinking. The paper statement was from like, 2 weeks ago, so it's not like it was last quarter. Lemme check it again today just to do it.
go back to october 2017 and 2016. October is the worst month/qtr for the market, historically.
Acid666

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am

go back to october 2017 and 2016. October is the worst month/qtr for the market, historically.
Ahhh good to know.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I really need some serious financial advice. The mattress just can’t fit anymore. Should I buy some air right weatherproof chests and start digging holes now? Or is there a better way?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:38 am I really need some serious financial advice. The mattress just can’t fit anymore. Should I buy some air right weatherproof chests and start digging holes now? Or is there a better way?
buy weed
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:40 am
Thedude wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:38 am I really need some serious financial advice. The mattress just can’t fit anymore. Should I buy some air right weatherproof chests and start digging holes now? Or is there a better way?
buy weed
What will that solve?

Oh, do mean invest to in the emerging cannabis market?

I’ve been curious about that. Was going to look into but Sessions still has a hard on for marijuana so I wanted to wait until he gets canned...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:01 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:40 am

buy weed
What will that solve?

I’ve been curious about that. Was going to look into but Sessions still has a hard on for marijuana so I wanted to wait until he gets canned...
you can still buy canadian stocks.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm
Thedude wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:01 pm
What will that solve?

So that’d be your play? Go from mattress to Canadian cannabis stocks?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Skip the middle-man, just smoke dollar bills.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm

yes.

your rate of decay on the fiat currency USD cant be any worse than going "up in smoke"
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:10 pm Skip the middle-man, just smoke dollar bills.
:notbad:

:challengeaccepted:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17 pm
Thedude wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm

yes.

your rate of decay on the fiat currency USD cant be any worse than going "up in smoke"
If it’s not worse than going up in smoke why not just leave it in the mattress?
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sold Alcoa today, total realized gains around double my money plus some weird offshoot stock during a split. Also dumped a bank mutual fund. $35k off the table of realized gainz. Losing on CAT which i bought for $139 and sitting at $120. I'm keeping it for next spring when building/infrastructure hopes are higher. That move is a $-2k profit gain if I were to sell now. Also holding a cash cow Hydro One who privately owns Ontario's electricity plants thanks to :fullretard: thievery on the .gov level.

All-in-all i feel good about a mainly cash position.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 pm Sold Alcoa today, total realized gains around double my money plus some weird offshoot stock during a split. Also dumped a bank mutual fund. $35k off the table of realized gainz. Losing on CAT which i bought for $139 and sitting at $120. I'm keeping it for next spring when building/infrastructure hopes are higher. That move is a $-2k profit gain if I were to sell now. Also holding a cash cow Hydro One who privately owns Ontario's electricity plants thanks to :fullretard: thievery on the .gov level.

Savings is yielding 2.05% for me, and 1 year CDs are at 3%, I think that is a far better bet than stock for the next 12 months. I am starting to liquidate. Sold my Tesla Stock today.... more by end of the week after some of this pain goes away.
max225

Just pulled out of AT&T as well.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:53 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 pm Sold Alcoa today, total realized gains around double my money plus some weird offshoot stock during a split. Also dumped a bank mutual fund. $35k off the table of realized gainz. Losing on CAT which i bought for $139 and sitting at $120. I'm keeping it for next spring when building/infrastructure hopes are higher. That move is a $-2k profit gain if I were to sell now. Also holding a cash cow Hydro One who privately owns Ontario's electricity plants thanks to :fullretard: thievery on the .gov level.

Savings is yielding 2.05% for me, and 1 year CDs are at 3%, I think that is a far better bet than stock for the next 12 months. I am starting to liquidate. Sold my Tesla Stock today.... more by end of the week after some of this pain goes away.
I'm going with cash in hand, if there's any major dips in essential needs stocks or really significant corrections in tech/etc I'll pick up the fire sales. If not I'll pay down the cottage debt. Feels good to not mose my ass LOL
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm going with cash in hand, if there's any major dips in essential needs stocks or really significant corrections in tech/etc I'll pick up the fire sales. If not I'll pay down the cottage debt. Feels good to not mose my ass LOL
Well cash in hand subjects you to inflation. The CDs or high yield savings do a good job offsetting it
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am

Well cash in hand subjects you to inflation. The CDs or high yield savings do a good job offsetting it
The goal ultimate goal for this cash is for it to be used to paid off beach house next, and i have already bought that in terms of 2018 valuation. Its nearly waterfront and will go up in value with inflation, an exact copy is already selling off season for 20k more after just three months. Traditionally i put about 30-50k/yr towards my loans and the strategy paid my primary residence off which helps my daily life costs a ton. I literally have no monthly rent/mortgage cost on my primary. Taxes and utilities eat up a bit but food and erroneous spending on kid shit, activities, mud flaps, ppf, clothes, wifes haircare, etc are the real wealth drain.

The actual cash sitting on the stock market is my corporate cash that i will be paying myself in the future so if I dont lose it I'll be looking at realised spending money in one year. Thats just enough time for a safe GIC stint and I'll be surprised if they offer over 2%.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Great news!

The IRS has moved up retirement account (401k) contribution limits for 2019 to $19k! Up from $18,5. The $25k for :wap: still applies, of course.

Sadly only about 45M people in the US have any retirement account.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

High yield savings account is basically cash in hand tho? At least make some return on the cash, even if its just sitting for a few months.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

What's the rate on your vacation home debt?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.