Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 am Who has thoughts on HSAs? I still have one from last job and it has come in handy. Current job will have this available in 2018. Seems like a legit good way to save for health care costs esp since I choose higher deductible plans because I'm currently healthy, pretty young, and :aintcare:. Bonus: investment options seem decent and I don't mind lessening my tax burden.

:waxer: life with no deductions is hard bruh.
depending on the health plan they are paired with I like it. Harder doe when you paying for two.

I recently weant back to PPO because with kid on the way, why not have a low deductible?
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am I recently went back to PPO because with kid on the way, why not have a low deductible?
Yeah, I can definitely see that. Minimize immediate out of pocket costs because you are about to have a life event with a lot of costs. My thoughts have been that I haven't needed much outside of normal preventative care (knock on wood) and I can pay co-pays to reach deductibles with the HSA. I also like the idea of saving for later when I am more likely to have some health issues.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am I recently went back to PPO because with kid on the way, why not have a low deductible?
Yeah, I can definitely see that. Minimize immediate out of pocket costs because you are about to have a life event with a lot of costs. My thoughts have been that I haven't needed much outside of normal preventative care (knock on wood) and I can pay co-pays to reach deductibles with the HSA. I also like the idea of saving for later when I am more likely to have some health issues.
I'm going to start a HSA for next year. Found out :therapist: can accept payment from them so all aboard the savings train.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am I'm going to start a HSA for next year. Found out :therapist: can accept payment from them so all aboard the savings train.
Yeah, mine can also, but I'd have drained it by now w/weekly visits and didn't want to do that. I would like to build it up again, roll old one into new one and start doing this.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am
yea, I'll consider going back to HDP once :baby: comes.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 am Who has thoughts on HSAs? I still have one from last job and it has come in handy. Current job will have this available in 2018. Seems like a legit good way to save for health care costs esp since I choose higher deductible plans because I'm currently healthy, pretty young, and :aintcare:. Bonus: investment options seem decent and I don't mind lessening my tax burden.

We roll with high deductible plan + HSA currently. Doing the :math: over the past few years, it seems likely to be the way to go for awhile. I haven't even looked into the investment options for the HSA yet, it works out as a net positive for us to use it even assuming it's a zero return (but tax free) savings account.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:41 pm Ok, it's been a few months now, and things have calmed down for me emotionally, and it's time to get down to business.
Since this is kind of serving as the general "Financial Advice" thread, in addition to investment discussions, I figured this would be a good place to post this.

My mother left my brother and I a sizable inheritance.
Primarily in a Merill Lynch IRRA and CMA

In addition to this, are a sum of assets, such as her house, two bank accounts, and a collection of antiques.
Brent (my bother) and I are going to keep all the antiques, and sell off what furniture we don't want. We plan to empty the house and sell it later this year, it's paid for, so will be a nice bit of cash for the both of us.

I've made an initial visit with the lawyer, who is working with Brent and I on estate succession.
I've met with my mother's financial adviser, who is trust worthy, he's handled my grand parent's accounts on my mother's and father's side, handled my mother's accounts for years, and his wife worked in the cancer detection lab with my mom for about fifteen years. Point is, I like the guy, and wouldn't mind continuing my business with him in the foreseeable future.

As I move forward, I'm doing my best to educate myself on the language of law and finance, as well as familiarize myself with the laws (and taxes) I'll now be subject to.

So, Fellow DFD-ers:
Has anyone had experience with Merill Lynch? Good or Bad.
Also,for those more savvy and experienced than myself, what would you do if you were me? And pointers, things to look out for, hurdles to avoid?

Lastly, I was really hesitant to post about this, because I didn't want to come off as a braggart.
It's not so much money I can quit my job and travel the world, nothing like that, just a little nest egg that I'd like to continue to grow until I retire.
sell everything and buy a nice mercedes camper van so you can live down by the river.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

My company is now offering one for the first time beginning January 2018 with a PPO. I'm joining, just me and the Mrs on the plan. It sounds overall like a better plan than an FSA. Still have to figure out how much to contribute :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm
Melon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:41 pm Ok, it's been a few months now, and things have calmed down for me emotionally, and it's time to get down to business.
Since this is kind of serving as the general "Financial Advice" thread, in addition to investment discussions, I figured this would be a good place to post this.

My mother left my brother and I a sizable inheritance.
Primarily in a Merill Lynch IRRA and CMA

In addition to this, are a sum of assets, such as her house, two bank accounts, and a collection of antiques.
Brent (my bother) and I are going to keep all the antiques, and sell off what furniture we don't want. We plan to empty the house and sell it later this year, it's paid for, so will be a nice bit of cash for the both of us.

I've made an initial visit with the lawyer, who is working with Brent and I on estate succession.
I've met with my mother's financial adviser, who is trust worthy, he's handled my grand parent's accounts on my mother's and father's side, handled my mother's accounts for years, and his wife worked in the cancer detection lab with my mom for about fifteen years. Point is, I like the guy, and wouldn't mind continuing my business with him in the foreseeable future.

As I move forward, I'm doing my best to educate myself on the language of law and finance, as well as familiarize myself with the laws (and taxes) I'll now be subject to.

So, Fellow DFD-ers:
Has anyone had experience with Merill Lynch? Good or Bad.
Also,for those more savvy and experienced than myself, what would you do if you were me? And pointers, things to look out for, hurdles to avoid?

Lastly, I was really hesitant to post about this, because I didn't want to come off as a braggart.
It's not so much money I can quit my job and travel the world, nothing like that, just a little nest egg that I'd like to continue to grow until I retire.
sell everything and buy a nice mercedes camper van so you can live down by the river.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

The GOOG is over $1000. :notbad:
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

Bitcoin (BTC) $7200

Bitcoin Cash (BCH) went up almost 50% ... dat free monies in a few months when Coinbase gives us access to that blockchain.

I might get a hardware wallet to prevent wait times like this, plus we don't have access to the private keys via Coinbase.
:crang:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

nuggstein wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 am Bitcoin (BTC) $7200

Bitcoin Cash (BCH) went up almost 50% ... dat free monies in a few months when Coinbase gives us access to that blockchain.

I might get a hardware wallet to prevent wait times like this, plus we don't have access to the private keys via Coinbase.
:notbad:

still a turrible 'investment'
brain go brrrrrr
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

It aint just Mr and Ms opioid factory workers being bruised by automation, white collar, back room support in finance is getting crushed by robotics - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... 0-job-cuts
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think I'll get into the BTC game over the weekend, I don't have the time right now to sit down and do all the necessary research before I buy in. By then doe, it will be $15,000. :sad:
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 am Bitcoin (BTC) $7200

:notbad:

still a turrible 'investment'
:notbad: short term with play money doe
Johnny_P

GE: Time to buy in? Stock has tanked recently as they offload divisions of the company trying to balance their books.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:41 pm GE: Time to buy in? Stock has tanked recently as they offload divisions of the company trying to balance their books.
It's definitely down. Closed @ $19.63, Started the year out at $32.38.
Might not be a bad thing to throw some money at. It might bottom out a little lower doe.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Ok Bitcoin...

I'm in. Let's hope this rally continues.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... est-market

Your FX trader is now a nice robot LOL - More Wall St and bank blood being replaced.
nuggstein

Melon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:59 am Ok Bitcoin...

I'm in. Let's hope this rally continues.
Segwit2X fork suspended/canceled. Almost every cryptocurrency skyrocked today.

Bitcoin @ 7800.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:crang: You purchased through Fidelity?
nuggstein

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm :crang: You purchased through Fidelity?
heck naw. I purchased 2 Bitcoins with my friend @ $915/each in 2013 from Coinbase. Way before Fidelity probably even heard of it. We sold one after it went up and then started decreasing. I only have barely over a half, but I'm not touching it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

nuggstein wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm :crang: You purchased through Fidelity?
heck naw. I purchased 2 Bitcoins with my friend @ $915/each in 2013 from Coinbase. Way before Fidelity probably even heard of it. We sold one after it went up and then started decreasing. I only have barely over a half, but I'm not touching it.
:word:

I used Coinbase too.
I bought .39% of a coin.

Over .5? :notbad: young padawan.
I might put some more in, but I'll let my initial investment fester for sometime.
nuggstein

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 pm
nuggstein wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm

I used Coinbase too.
I bought .39% of a coin.

I might put some more in, but I'll let my initial investment fester for sometime.
The bad thing with Coinbase is that they own the private key, so technically they control your Bitcoins. I've been thinking about getting a hardware wallet, such as Trezor. It should only be purchased directly through them. That way it's mine/yours to do whatever with, and if there are any forks, such as Bitcoin Cash, or the failed Segwit2X, we'd be able to get those immediately, vs. waiting for Coinbase to give us access. If you bought Bitcoin before the Bitcoin Cash fork, you essentially got free Bitcoin Cash coins/money, but could not do anything with it since Coinbase doesn't support it yet. Come mid-January or so, they will give us access. Right now Bitcoin Cash is around $600. However many Bitcoins you had prior to the fork, that's how many coins of the other currency you have. It's pretty sweet. People made lots of money just from the fork, when they had individual control of their keys.

https://trezor.io/
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

nuggstein wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:12 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 pm

I used Coinbase too.
I bought .39% of a coin.

The bad thing with Coinbase is that they own the private key, so technically they control your Bitcoins. I've been thinking about getting a hardware wallet, such as Trezor. It should only be purchased directly through them. That way it's mine/yours to do whatever with, and if there are any forks, such as Bitcoin Cash, or the failed Segwit2X, we'd be able to get those immediately, vs. waiting for Coinbase to give us access. If you bought Bitcoin before the Bitcoin Cash fork, you essentially got free Bitcoin Cash coins/money, but could not do anything with it since Coinbase doesn't support it yet. Come mid-January or so, they will give us access. Right now Bitcoin Cash is around $600. However many Bitcoins you had prior to the fork, that's how many coins of the other currency you have. It's pretty sweet. People made lots of money just from the fork, when they had individual control of their keys.

https://trezor.io/
:wtf: are you even talking about
brain go brrrrrr