Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm I have yet to even sit in an ND. I should change that at some point. It's a little rich for me :doe: . I'm not sure if I'll really fit either. The S2000 felt very cramped for a dude my size.
It's toight, like a toiger.

But that's how I like things.

Probably the smallest trunk I've ever witnessed, doe.
Smaller than an NA? My buddy Maxx, who is joining DFD I think, test drove an ND and said he couldn't fit really, and he owns an NA. He's 6'4" I think though, a little taller than me, but also thinner.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 am

Off to a good start! This is encouraging. How many CX5's have you sold already? Mazda is kind of like Mini in that people tend to seek them out because zoom zoom driving fun and manuals offered in many models. So the clientele should be markedly different than the BMW badge whores.

I should come hoon a Miata. Wait, no, because then I'd want it.
Test drives are free, bro.

Come up, drive a Miata.

Manuals are pretty limited, doe. Can only get a stick on the Sport & Touring trims of the Mazda 6, all trims of the Miata, and all trims of the Mazda 3. No manual in the CX3 (what a shame), CX5 (would be neat), or CX9 (who cares).

Still, Mazda does prioritize driving fun, which is awesome and why I support the brand.

1st car sold and delivered and done as of last night. 2015 CPO Mazda 6.
Sport? GT?

Out of curiosity, what is invoice on a 2015 touring with Bose/sunroof? Or is that even available to you?

My car was 27,4 MSRP and I got it for 21,4 and I've always been curious as to my deal skills.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That's a helluva :dill: , lots of car for the :wasteful:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm I have yet to even sit in an ND. I should change that at some point. It's a little rich for me :doe: . I'm not sure if I'll really fit either. The S2000 felt very cramped for a dude my size.
It's toight, like a toiger.

But that's how I like things.

Probably the smallest trunk I've ever witnessed, doe.
Does the steering wheel telescope? I remember sitting in some iteration and lack of that feature made it seriously uncomfortable for me.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Does the steering wheel telescope? I remember sitting in some iteration and lack of that feature made it seriously uncomfortable for me.

It doesn’t.

The wheel is closer than most cars so it works for me.
If I pulled the seat up to where I was comfortably close to the wheel, my knees were hitting the dash and the bottom of the steering wheel I think was hitting my legs.

Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 am If I pulled the seat up to where I was comfortably close to the wheel, my knees were hitting the dash and the bottom of the steering wheel I think was hitting my legs.

:notsure:

How close do you sit to the wheel?
Not on top of it, but definitely closer than fully outstretched arms.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Calvinball wrote:
[user not found] wrote: :notsure:

:stig: :megusta:
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

Calvinball wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm
[user not found] wrote:
:notsure:

I'm the same way. People are always asking me why I sit so close to the wheel. I never understand how people can sit so far away. Some people I can barely even see driving because they are so far back.
:crang:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

nuggstein wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm
Calvinball wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm the same way. People are always asking me why I sit so close to the wheel. I never understand how people can sit so far away. Some people I can barely even see driving because they are so far back.
I was leaving the bar yesterday with the wife and a guy pulled out in front of me and almost took the front bumper off my car. Guy was gangsta leaning so far that he was actually looking out the driver's side REAR door to merge into traffic.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 pm
nuggstein wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm

I was leaving the bar yesterday with the wife and a guy pulled out in front of me and almost took the front bumper off my car. Guy was gangsta leaning so far that he was actually looking out the driver's side REAR door to merge into traffic.
:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 pm

:disgust:
:mahtroy:

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Maybe he's just reeeally tall? :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:08 pm Maybe he's just reeeally tall? :iono:
drivin' wit dat :dedong:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Got my investments/savings with the raise all figured out.

Upped my traditional 401k to 11%
Upped Roth 401k to 3%
Roth IRA is now 2.7%
and cash savings is now 5.4%

22.1% total being saved/invested. Not bad. Next raise I'll focus more on increasing my cash savings by a larger amount.

I got extra money going towards the :jeep: loan and personal loan I have outstanding too. Once those are paid off, all of that money can be invested/saved as well.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am Got my investments/savings with the raise all figured out.

Upped Roth 401k to 3%
Roth IRA is now 2.7%

22.1% total being saved/invested. Not bad. Next raise I'll focus more on increasing my cash savings by a larger amount.

I got extra money going towards the :jeep: loan and personal loan I have outstanding too. Once those are paid off, all of that money can be invested/saved as well.
Is that % from net or gross?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am Got my investments/savings with the raise all figured out.

Upped Roth 401k to 3%
Roth IRA is now 2.7%

Is that % from net or gross?
Gross.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Resurrecting from the dead to not make a new thread...

As some know, I've been in the running for a new job at a new company. Got the offer, money is great, title is fine, negotiated for more vacation so I don't lose any, all seems good. I go to quit and my current boss goes on and on about how big of a mistake it is, how I'm resetting my reputation clock, and that I'd be walking away from a really bright career future. So I ask to detail the career future and he talks about reaching this level and that and that I'm destined for it if I just stick with the company. I ask for a specific timeline, he of course says that's impossible to give. I expected something like this from my boss, I'm extremely undervalued for what I do and he knows it. I've been here for 5 years now in different roles, I'm hardly "job hopping" IMO.

That said, I can't disagree that I've built a really REALLY strong reputation at my current company. I'm trying to do everything possible to not burn any bridges, but it seems like no matter what I do I'll be blacklisted here, which is unfortunate and also a reason I considered leaving in the first place (the culture is insanely good 'ol boy, old school like that). As soon as I officially quit, I'm walked out the door as I'm going to a competitor, so it's a delicate situation.

Financially, it would take me 5 years of 3% pay increases to reach the offer I've been given...and assuming I'd get 3% raises at the new place...the gap is tangible. Even the next level up at my current company probably wouldn't get me to this job offer money. Current boss of course is telling me to ignore the money because I'll make it all up later...which could be true but far from a certainty of course. Opportunity for promotions at new place is admittedly limited because the organization is so flat. I agree with that corp structure in theory, but I don't know how I'd handle potentially little movement.

I'm posting all of this to gauge any one else's experience with such a thing. Foregoing built reputation at a current company and whether or not it harmed you in the long run.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 pm Resurrecting from the dead to not make a new thread...

As some know, I've been in the running for a new job at a new company. Got the offer, money is great, title is fine, negotiated for more vacation so I don't lose any, all seems good. I go to quit and my current boss goes on and on about how big of a mistake it is, how I'm resetting my reputation clock, and that I'd be walking away from a really bright career future. So I ask to detail the career future and he talks about reaching this level and that and that I'm destined for it if I just stick with the company. I ask for a specific timeline, he of course says that's impossible to give. I expected something like this from my boss, I'm extremely undervalued for what I do and he knows it. I've been here for 5 years now in different roles, I'm hardly "job hopping" IMO.

That said, I can't disagree that I've built a really REALLY strong reputation at my current company. I'm trying to do everything possible to not burn any bridges, but it seems like no matter what I do I'll be blacklisted here, which is unfortunate and also a reason I considered leaving in the first place (the culture is insanely good 'ol boy, old school like that). As soon as I officially quit, I'm walked out the door as I'm going to a competitor, so it's a delicate situation.

Financially, it would take me 5 years of 3% pay increases to reach the offer I've been given...and assuming I'd get 3% raises at the new place...the gap is tangible. Even the next level up at my current company probably wouldn't get me to this job offer money. Current boss of course is telling me to ignore the money because I'll make it all up later...which could be true but far from a certainty of course. Opportunity for promotions at new place is admittedly limited because the organization is so flat. I agree with that corp structure in theory, but I don't know how I'd handle potentially little movement.

I'm posting all of this to gauge any one else's experience with such a thing. Foregoing built reputation at a current company and whether or not it harmed you in the long run.
Supposing it's as "good 'ole boy" club as you make it sound to be, and that reputations are valued that strongly there, yours may already be tarnished by having told him about the other offer at all. Will he hold that against you, but he's just trying to scare you into staying because he knows you're good? Will he tell others and blacklist you from moving up anyways?

If that culture is as strong as you make it sound, I think damage may have already been done, and I'd accept the offer to jump ships.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

A bird in the hand is worth two in the hypothetical future.

:gtfo:

:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 pm Resurrecting from the dead to not make a new thread...

Any place that would begrudge you for leaving for a better opportunity is the same place that will bury you in an instant as soon as they feel like it.

In a flat structure there is actually more room for skill growth as there are fewer above you protecting every little thing.

This all makes me MORE convinced leaving is the right move.
Very good points.

Boss is saying the competitor is a "shit show" and "will be out of business within 5 years". Further he claims he "gets offers from them all the time and turns them down because the company is garbage".

It absolutely is chaotic at the new company. They didn't sugar coat that when I interviewed. I know what I'm getting into, and I'm OK with it. I actually thrive in chaos when I'm given the ability to navigate it and impact it, which they said they value greatly because the org is so flat. Compared to my current place, it probably does look like a "shit show", and I do personally have some reservations about the new company's long-term prospects...but I doubt it would really have a major negative impact on my career.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Any place that would begrudge you for leaving for a better opportunity is the same place that will bury you in an instant as soon as they feel like it.

In a flat structure there is actually more room for skill growth as there are fewer above you protecting every little thing.

This all makes me MORE convinced leaving is the right move.
Very good points.

Boss is saying the competitor is a "shit show" and "will be out of business within 5 years". Further he claims he "gets offers from them all the time and turns them down because the company is garbage".

It absolutely is chaotic at the new company. They didn't sugar coat that when I interviewed. I know what I'm getting into, and I'm OK with it. I actually thrive in chaos when I'm given the ability to navigate it and impact it, which they said they value greatly because the org is so flat. Compared to my current place, it probably does look like a "shit show", and I do personally have some reservations about the new company's long-term prospects...but I doubt it would really have a major negative impact on my career.
I think your answer is in there. Prove your value and worth and the new company "shit show" and be even more valuable to other companies if the new one does actually tank in X years.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Supposing it's as "good 'ole boy" club as you make it sound to be, and that reputations are valued that strongly there, yours may already be tarnished by having told him about the other offer at all. Will he hold that against you, but he's just trying to scare you into staying because he knows you're good? Will he tell others and blacklist you from moving up anyways?

If that culture is as strong as you make it sound, I think damage may have already been done, and I'd accept the offer to jump ships.
I considered this as well. I may already be toast. I blamed the threat of layoffs for the reason in me looking elsewhere, not the company and he seemed to agree with that thinking. Though he did go on and on about that I didn't get laid off because the group we work in is far too important to be touched.

If I didn't have that excuse, I'd probably be screwed.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 pm A bird in the hand is worth two in the hypothetical future.

:gtfo:

:doit:
Totally.

I still don't want to make a sudden move that will be detrimental to my future.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm
I considered this as well. I may already be toast. I blamed the threat of layoffs for the reason in me looking elsewhere, not the company and he seemed to agree with that thinking. Though he did go on and on about that I didn't get laid off because the group we work in is far too important to be touched.

If I didn't have that excuse, I'd probably be screwed.
FWIW I never give a why. He will probably push for another and I'd recommend declining to give one
I tried. He pushed harder than I expected and caved. I honestly was expecting to be walked out, not have an in depth convo. I didn't lie, I didn't really start looking in earnest until the "involuntary separations" were promised back in November.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:11 pm
Very good points.

It's also clear he's way more concerned about the company than your well being. Run from this guy. Even if you stay, get a new manager. This guy has doom written all over him.
He looks out for himself #1. I could tell you countless stories about making my work his own, giving me "autonomy" while dictating every move, blocking other people's internal job moves, etc. I don't think I could get away from him even if I stayed here for at least a few more years.