Those of you that like your jobs, what do you do?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pm

I agree with you on the salary ranges, but to be honest, everyone applying would be insulted if they weren't offered at the high end of the range.

I have a big problem filling positions with my recruiters for this reason. I always start off with the recruiter asking them to find out what the candidate is looking for (it is now illegal in California to ask what they are currently earning, or previously made... :wtf: ).

The recruiters almost always come back with something at the top end of a certain career level, so let's say the range is $90k - $139K. The real number in that range would be something close to $120k to be at market value and anything over is 1.0+ market pay percentage. In order to be 1.05+ market you need to be ranked in the top x% of the employees of the business unit. There's almost no way I can bring someone in at that high of a salary because at the yearly review I won't have any head room for increases, and I can't promote them to the next career level that soon, or solely based on salary desires. Most of the time the recruiter comes back with "They are looking for $134K, which is in range!!!!" Uh, no... And if I were to bump the career level up to get the salary and they can't perform those duties that are required, I get in trouble when it comes to my resourcing needs.

Think about it, if you heard a position paid between $90-139K, would you be happy getting an offer of $105K if you had only 1-2 years experience? If you said yes, you are a :unicorn: and I thank you for being realistic... most people aren't ant think they deserve the most for the least experience..
Took me a while to figure this out. When I got my last pay grade bump, They showed me the range and I was at the bottom. Not a huge bump from my previous lower level.

:flaccid:

My boss at the time explained that it was actually a good thing because it gave me room to expand. Sure enough, each year has been nice pay raise. Nice incentive to keep upping the game.
Yep... This is difficult for sure.
1. Bring someone in low and they can get big raises each year as they grow, and in 2-3 years move up a new level if they are really good.
2. Hire them in higher and give them poor reviews for not meeting or exceeding the expectation and give them no money.

In the second scenario I am failing them and I refuse to do so. A couple years ago I had an :amir: candidate come in with a couple years of experience and ask for $30k more than I made at the time. I schooled them in the interview along with my team members that made much less. I was actually shocked they asked for that amount of money with a straight face.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 pm
Took me a while to figure this out. When I got my last pay grade bump, They showed me the range and I was at the bottom. Not a huge bump from my previous lower level.

:flaccid:

My boss at the time explained that it was actually a good thing because it gave me room to expand. Sure enough, each year has been nice pay raise. Nice incentive to keep upping the game.
Yep... This is difficult for sure.
1. Bring someone in low and they can get big raises each year as they grow, and in 2-3 years move up a new level if they are really good.
2. Hire them in higher and give them poor reviews for not meeting or exceeding the expectation and give them no money.

In the second scenario I am failing them and I refuse to do so. A couple years ago I had an :amir: candidate come in with a couple years of experience and ask for $30k more than I made at the time. I schooled them in the interview along with my team members that made much less. I was actually shocked they asked for that amount of money with a straight face.
The second scenario sucks. It's just hard to realize it. Your first thought is that you fall on the lower end of the range because you're inferior. The reality is, you fall on the lower end so you have room to grow and prove yourself. Being stuck at the same salary year after year after year isn't exactly motivating. I did that for years because I worked for companies that just didn't do raises.

But at my current company, raises each year keep me motivated to push. As a result, I've done quite well, and continue to advance.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

To the original question by dtrail:

This is a tough call for me to tell you what you might consider. Out here, unless you are in management we generally hire contractors for IT work. I have unofficially heard that it is so we can fire them at will when they inevitably screw the pooch. Fifteen-seventeen years ago I thought IT was a decent field to go into, but I am so glad today that I didn't choose that fork in the road. Out here in the Silicon Valley general IT positions/engineers have a very bad rep.

Specializing in something like network design seems to have been good for a couple friends though. I would probably look for something very niche and specific that you know how to do and try to become the manager/lead/architect for that item.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 pm To the original question by dtrail:

This is a tough call for me to tell you what you might consider. Out here, unless you are in management we generally hire contractors for IT work. I have unofficially heard that it is so we can fire them at will when they inevitably screw the pooch. Fifteen-seventeen years ago I thought IT was a decent field to go into, but I am so glad today that I didn't choose that fork in the road. Out here in the Silicon Valley general IT positions/engineers have a very bad rep.

Specializing in something like network design seems to have been good for a couple friends though. I would probably look for something very niche and specific that you know how to do and try to become the manager/lead/architect for that item.
:dubshow: :triggered:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

GFs brother is a co owner of a mapping software startup in DC. I can ask if they have positions open.

I can also ask if we have open IT or similar position at the refinery in Philly.

Or just take Crangs job.
Johnny_P

If you hate what you’re doing then get out though. I mean out of that industry or field if possible. Now is the time not when you have kids and mortgage and are :wap:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:53 pm If you hate what you’re doing then get out though. I mean out of that industry or field if possible. Now is the time not when you have kids and mortgage and are :wap:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:53 pm If you hate what you’re doing then get out though. I mean out of that industry or field if possible. Now is the time not when you have kids and mortgage and are :wap:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

I love my job, I do quality testing and development of preproduction and prototype vehicles and technology. The downside is the amount of travel and time being away from home.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:40 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am I'm on the hunt for a new job and have been thinking about a total career change as a possibility as well. I currently work as an IT engineer (network/server admin) and I am bored out of my mind. Outside of working on projects when I truly have work to do and am engaged I probably work less than 5 hours a week. I work for a decently sized accounting firm with over 40 offices and on a day to day basis there just isn't work to do. I know a lot of issues I have with IT are from my current position, number 1 being that I am completely isolated and can go months without seeing a fellow IT worker in person ( everything is conf calls and IMs through skype). I worked for a college previously and was bored there too but at least IT was centralized and the comradery aspect was there.

As crazy as it sounds I'm looking for something that is going to give me more work to do and actually engage me. I just got a job offer for a signal maintainer for a local railroad and it sounded amazing but it was too much of a pay cut in year 1 and no PTO for 2 years so I had to turn it down. I like working with my hands so something along those lines would be cool as well as something that could involve outside work but not a requirement. I'm basically looking for ideas on something that involves spending time away from a desk as that's my main requirement.

Right now I look on indeed for any jobs at like 55k and apply to things that sound interesting but I know there are plenty of places that don't advertise on there so looking for ideas I haven't thought of yet. Not looking to relocate but I have a pretty wide area of PA to search from Wilkes-Barre to Lansdale/Norristownish. I have a BS in Computer Information Systems with a minor in Business Admin and 7 years full time progressive IT experience.

So DFD what careers haven't I thought of or what companies should I look into
PPL? Olympus?
Yeah I've kept an eye on both of those. I put in for a system operator job with PPL and didn't hear anything
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 am
On a side note the whole industry trend to not include salary or salary ranges in postings is infuriating. How is this not a huge waste of time applying/interviewing and then finding out it pays crap.
I agree with you on the salary ranges, but to be honest, everyone applying would be insulted if they weren't offered at the high end of the range.

I have a big problem filling positions with my recruiters for this reason. I always start off with the recruiter asking them to find out what the candidate is looking for (it is now illegal in California to ask what they are currently earning, or previously made... :wtf: ).

The recruiters almost always come back with something at the top end of a certain career level, so let's say the range is $90k - $139K. The real number in that range would be something close to $120k to be at market value and anything over is 1.0+ market pay percentage. In order to be 1.05+ market you need to be ranked in the top x% of the employees of the business unit. There's almost no way I can bring someone in at that high of a salary because at the yearly review I won't have any head room for increases, and I can't promote them to the next career level that soon, or solely based on salary desires. Most of the time the recruiter comes back with "They are looking for $134K, which is in range!!!!" Uh, no... And if I were to bump the career level up to get the salary and they can't perform those duties that are required, I get in trouble when it comes to my resourcing needs.

Think about it, if you heard a position paid between $90-139K, would you be happy getting an offer of $105K if you had only 1-2 years experience? If you said yes, you are a :unicorn: and I thank you for being realistic... most people aren't ant think they deserve the most for the least experience..
Yeah I kind of get it. The place I have an interview with Tuesday has the range advertised as 50k-73k so I'm expecting an offer at the top of that range. But they are looking for someone with at least 3 years experience and I have 7. I wouldn't take a cut for a lateral move like that so they'd have to at least match my current salary
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

My thoughts exactly which is why I'm pursuing it pretty hard right now. Kids are at least 4-5 years away. I have a mortgage but didn't go gangbusters on it so I have plenty of flexibility with pay. The signal maintainer would have been fine even with the cut I just couldnt sign up for 1 week of pto in 2 years
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I love my jerb, and the pay should be coming in the not too distant future. Also, I have lots of room for growth and my boss has been 5/7 about helping me grow these last few years I have worked for her.

If I wanted to switch careers, I'd be hitting up :[user not found]: and talking about his industry and opportunities there. Mostly because I am intrigued by what he does and I think it would be a fulfilling career option for me. Security/LEO runs in my family doe.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

You guys know of any other good job search tools besides indeed/monster?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am
Yeah, dat :haus: note.

Some may find it unreasonable, but I didn't buy a :haus: to have a miserable epic commute.

My radius is 15 miles/25-30 minutes. No more than that.
Same. I limited myself to a short commute. But according to all here I am a moran for doing that. So whatever.
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am You guys know of any other good job search tools besides indeed/monster?
I've found LinkedIn has decent job postings too.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 am
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 am

Yeah I've kept an eye on both of those. I put in for a system operator job with PPL and didn't hear anything
Air Products and B Braun too!
Yup have an eye on those as well. I have a friend who works as an accountant with B Braun and doesn't like it. But I think it has more to do with his specific job instead of the company itself
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I've been avoiding making a linked in for some time but I guess I can look into it
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 am I've been avoiding making a linked in for some time but I guess I can look into it
It's mostly :rolleyes: old :wap: 's using it but it can lead to some good stuff.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 am I've been avoiding making a linked in for some time but I guess I can look into it
It's mostly :rolleyes: old :wap: 's using it but it can lead to some good stuff.
Depends on where the recruiters are screening. We seem to lean heavily on Glassdoor and LinkedIn.

This morning I got 58 resumes to review for the weekend, the breakdown is 38 via LinkedIn, 11 via Glassdoor and the rest are referrals.
ChrisoftheNorth

Every external job I've gotten was through LinkedIn.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

Depends on where the recruiters are screening. We seem to lean heavily on Glassdoor and LinkedIn.

This morning I got 58 resumes to review for the weekend, the breakdown is 38 via LinkedIn, 11 via Glassdoor and the rest are referrals.
Damn that's crazy, what position are you hiring for and how long has it been posted? kind of puts in perspective why you dont hear back after applying 99% of the time
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:16 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Damn that's crazy, what position are you hiring for and how long has it been posted? kind of puts in perspective why you dont hear back after applying 99% of the time
I currently have 5 positions open ranging from Software QA, SQA Test Automation, and a Software developer position. The automation position has been open for a year, but I think I finally have a good candidate from the phone screen. The other positions have been opened in the last month.

Oh, and after I posted that, I got 22 more resumes in my inbox. When our stock was in the $10-16 range nobody wanted to work her because of the stories of how hard we work. Now that we're well over $200/share and our CEO topped Forbes' list it seems nobody cares about the workload anymore.

:hue:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am I'm on the hunt for a new job and have been thinking about a total career change as a possibility as well. I currently work as an IT engineer (network/server admin) and I am bored out of my mind. Outside of working on projects when I truly have work to do and am engaged I probably work less than 5 hours a week. I work for a decently sized accounting firm with over 40 offices and on a day to day basis there just isn't work to do. I know a lot of issues I have with IT are from my current position, number 1 being that I am completely isolated and can go months without seeing a fellow IT worker in person ( everything is conf calls and IMs through skype). I worked for a college previously and was bored there too but at least IT was centralized and the comradery aspect was there.

As crazy as it sounds I'm looking for something that is going to give me more work to do and actually engage me. I just got a job offer for a signal maintainer for a local railroad and it sounded amazing but it was too much of a pay cut in year 1 and no PTO for 2 years so I had to turn it down. I like working with my hands so something along those lines would be cool as well as something that could involve outside work but not a requirement. I'm basically looking for ideas on something that involves spending time away from a desk as that's my main requirement.

Right now I look on indeed for any jobs at like 55k and apply to things that sound interesting but I know there are plenty of places that don't advertise on there so looking for ideas I haven't thought of yet. Not looking to relocate but I have a pretty wide area of PA to search from Wilkes-Barre to Lansdale/Norristownish. I have a BS in Computer Information Systems with a minor in Business Admin and 7 years full time progressive IT experience.

So DFD what careers haven't I thought of or what companies should I look into
I'm with you on not enjoying being in an office all of the time.

I'm a "Sales Support Engineer" for an audio mixing console manufacturer. Basically, I travel around and give sales demos and support to potential and current clients. I drive a big demonstration vehicle around the US and show people six figure audio gear, explain how it works, convince them that it will make their jobs better. I fly home on weekends. I'm also responsible for trouble shooting, fixing, maintaining and keeping pretty all of the gear in our truck.

I can live wherever I want, have virtually unlimited free hotels/flights for personal travel, all of my food is covered, no commuting costs, which makes the salary pretty OK (it's in the high 50s). Overall I love my job. I like being somewhere different every day, meeting new people, getting to play with the latest and greatest gear. We're a really high end company so I end up seeing cool stuff and meeting cool people (NFL stadiums, rock stars, that kind of stuff).

Over all it's a fun line of work. I like audio/music and went to school for that but I think I'd be happy doing pre sales engineer type work with just about any product that is quality, could me guitars, cars, network switches, whatever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am

Yeah, dat :haus: note.

Some may find it unreasonable, but I didn't buy a :haus: to have a miserable epic commute.

My radius is 15 miles/25-30 minutes. No more than that.
Same. I limited myself to a short commute. But according to all here I am a moran for doing that. So whatever.
I spend like 15 hours a week sitting in traffic, it fucking sucks. Oh well. Wouldn't do if I wasn't getting paid to do that.