OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm Shop tried two different downpipes with a combination of four different O2 sensors and nothing worked. Traced all the wiring back and everything looks normal. They’re putting everything back tomorrow and I’m gonna take it to a dealer to diagnose. Need to come up with a limit for what I’ll spend on a new ECM vs just dumping the car and using that money as part of my down payment on something else.
Damn...
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I’m thinking $2k as my limit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm Today, I had two fantastic customers. One was the ex owner/CEO of Dogfish Head brewing company. I thanked him profusely for Sea Quench and we talked beer for a few minutes.

The second customer was an older guy named Jim, and we got talking a little and he asked about where I was before I started at Porsche. I told him about my Toyota background, and that moving to Porsche after so long was a big challenge but it was nice to have to have the drive to prove myself again.

He told me that he ran a construction company, and joked that it's fun to try to prove yourself "when your brother was also the vice president"... I laughed, and said "well, you can always make sure he never takes over and becomes president".

"Well, we'll see what happens" he said. Gave the guy his loaner car keys, and his license back. I took a quick look at his name because I missed his last name, and just about shit.

This guy was Joe Biden's brother.
:mindblown:
That's an awesome story.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm Shop tried two different downpipes with a combination of four different O2 sensors and nothing worked. Traced all the wiring back and everything looks normal. They’re putting everything back tomorrow and I’m gonna take it to a dealer to diagnose. Need to come up with a limit for what I’ll spend on a new ECM vs just dumping the car and using that money as part of my down payment on something else.
:(
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Still interested in sales?
I don’t mind sales, but the :dillerman: days are numbered. Industry is due for a major change and while I know it will be resistant, it’s inevitable between Tesla and startups like Carvana. There’s no reason why you can’t buy a car on a tablet after going on a test drive.

I need to stick to the Trenton NJ area. So if you have something in mind, hit me up.

I’d love to move into an company that’s a bit more forward thinking and interested in pushing the envelope on an environmental/resource conservation standpoint.
Toyota sells the Prius.

hashtag fullcircle hashtag embracetheappliance
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 pm

I don’t mind sales, but the :dillerman: days are numbered. Industry is due for a major change and while I know it will be resistant, it’s inevitable between Tesla and startups like Carvana. There’s no reason why you can’t buy a car on a tablet after going on a test drive.

I need to stick to the Trenton NJ area. So if you have something in mind, hit me up.

I’d love to move into an company that’s a bit more forward thinking and interested in pushing the envelope on an environmental/resource conservation standpoint.
Toyota sells the Prius.

But in all seriousness, there's a Tesla store opening in Cherry Hill.

I applied. Service advisor pay is $23/hr. Not sure how they pay sales.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I've been pondering the same thing.

I shall continue tomorrow, where I'll be driving 46 miles to work for my one scheduled service appointment: a tire repair.

I'll probably take a three hour lunch, feign interest in what's going on around me, drink about ten cups of coffee and go take a trip to the McLaren store to check out the P1 GTR they have.
Go say hi to Mike Dixon for me over some crumpets and tea.
I'm not a fan.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Toyota sells the Prius.

I’m kind of OK with that.

My problem is with the car sales industry. It’s broken. You know it, I know it. The race to the bottom has only gotten worse.

And the :amir: clientele is something else. They can just fuck right off.
It is entirely fucked. After moving to Porsche, I'm even more sure of it, and as long as I continue in the business I need to go further up the food chain towards the exotic territory.

We have a few of the :amir: clientele here. 80% of the ones I've dealt with have been no problem, ask if there's a discount and I throw a token couple of bucks at them.

On Monday we picked up someone's base Macan from their office in Princeton and dropped off a loaner. They bought the car at Princeton Porsche. I called them to tell them their car had arrived, quoted $429 for the annual service and asked if they wanted to leave a credit card number now or at completion.

Then it began. Princeton quoted $240 for the same service (they don't). He wanted us to match it and discount it the 10% PCA discount - without being a PCA member. I refused. Offered to knock the service down to $400 plus tax. Still too expensive. I told him I'd see what I can do and I'd call him back.

Called back and offered him a $320 service, would honor the 10% discount with proof of PCA membership, but by doing that he'd be responsible for the loaner at the shop rate of $100/day for the 2 days he requested it (for a 90 minute service), $40 to cover the pickup/delivery charge and i'd charge it to the CC# on the loaner contract. Still fought me on price. I reminded him of the fact he bought a fucking Porsche which is notoriously expensive to maintain.

Service manager intervened and we returned the car back to him and picked up the loaner. "We don't do business like that here".
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Since you just planted roots and bought a house, why don't you move to California and come work for me?

:derp:
I hear there’s a ton of real estate prime for rebuilding...

I haven’t the faintest idea what you do, Mr. :waxer: .

Enlighten us.
Yeah, we're flooded with smoke right now and it's crazy.

I manage a software team that specializes in automation.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 pm
Almost sounds redundant.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 pm
Almost sounds redundant.
HUSH.

rich getting richer.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Almost sounds redundant.
HUSH.

rich getting richer.
I’ll move up to work for you if you have anything I can do..
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 pm

HUSH.

rich getting richer.
:hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

I think I know what it feels like to be Harvey Weinstein.
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I’m kind of OK with that.

My problem is with the car sales industry. It’s broken. You know it, I know it. The race to the bottom has only gotten worse.

And the :amir: clientele is something else. They can just fuck right off.
It is entirely fucked. After moving to Porsche, I'm even more sure of it, and as long as I continue in the business I need to go further up the food chain towards the exotic territory.

We have a few of the :amir: clientele here. 80% of the ones I've dealt with have been no problem, ask if there's a discount and I throw a token couple of bucks at them.

On Monday we picked up someone's base Macan from their office in Princeton and dropped off a loaner. They bought the car at Princeton Porsche. I called them to tell them their car had arrived, quoted $429 for the annual service and asked if they wanted to leave a credit card number now or at completion.

Then it began. Princeton quoted $240 for the same service (they don't). He wanted us to match it and discount it the 10% PCA discount - without being a PCA member. I refused. Offered to knock the service down to $400 plus tax. Still too expensive. I told him I'd see what I can do and I'd call him back.

Called back and offered him a $320 service, would honor the 10% discount with proof of PCA membership, but by doing that he'd be responsible for the loaner at the shop rate of $100/day for the 2 days he requested it (for a 90 minute service), $40 to cover the pickup/delivery charge and i'd charge it to the CC# on the loaner contract. Still fought me on price. I reminded him of the fact he bought a fucking Porsche which is notoriously expensive to maintain.

Service manager intervened and we returned the car back to him and picked up the loaner. "We don't do business like that here".
:fuckyeah:
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 pm

:lol:

If you ever have any use for someone with procurement, finance, and some project management experience, let me know.
wap

:lolol:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:mahtroy: tried to steal a bike today. Lovely
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Do you have a degree? If so your experience + degree might be good for a team lead salaried position with Target or the like.
BA in integrative arts with a background in retail automotive sales and marketing.
:doit: then. Look up corporate careers and look up ETL jobs.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

fledonfoot wrote:Today, I had two fantastic customers. One was the ex owner/CEO of Dogfish Head brewing company. I thanked him profusely for Sea Quench and we talked beer for a few minutes.

The second customer was an older guy named Jim, and we got talking a little and he asked about where I was before I started at Porsche. I told him about my Toyota background, and that moving to Porsche after so long was a big challenge but it was nice to have to have the drive to prove myself again.

He told me that he ran a construction company, and joked that it's fun to try to prove yourself "when your brother was also the vice president"... I laughed, and said "well, you can always make sure he never takes over and becomes president".

"Well, we'll see what happens" he said. Gave the guy his loaner car keys, and his license back. I took a quick look at his name because I missed his last name, and just about shit.

This guy was Joe Biden's brother.
Yeah well Warren Buffet drives and old Camry :bruh:

:trollface:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Still interested in sales?

I suspect with the information we have at our fingertips it's a bit difficult to actually sell someone on a car. I tend to walk into the :dillerman: with my minds already made up, take a test drive to confirm my research, and then work on the financials.

I think you'd do well in a sales role for my company, but our management is in :fullretard: mode right now with constantly changing, poorly defined, and poorly measured sales targets/market share that your compensation would be based on. Most are ready to :nope: and I'm actively looking for something in and out of the company and I'm not even directly measured on sales targets - my issues with management is more complicated :lol:

Hopefully the bs will settle down eventually, but I can't in good conscience recommend that you give commercial engine sales a shot.
Last edited by 4zilch on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote:
4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 pm Still interested in sales?

Interesting you say this, I need to do more research but have thought that working for a solar /wind power type manufacturer could be pretty cool.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

good morning dfd
:crang:
nuggstein
Drives: 2012 GTI

My girlfriend wanted a tour of my office. so I got here early so I could open up and no one would be here. (i'm one of the few people with a physical key to the office and an alarm code). took a video from my car to the main entrance, then into the building, up the stairs where my office is (building has other companies in it), opened the door, turned off alarm, turned on the lights, and then took a video of the office/kitchen, my area and the lab. she said it made her day.
:crang:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I'll call you Marvey Waxstein
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

nuggstein wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 am girlfriend wanted a tour of my office. so I got here early so I could open up and no one would be here. (i'm one of the few people with a physical key to the office and an alarm code). took a video from my car to the main entrance, then into the building, up the stairs where my office is (building has other companies in it), opened the door, turned off alarm, turned on the lights, and then took a video of the office/kitchen, my area and the lab. she said it made her day.
:whocares:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...