Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There are tons of people who don't take credit cards or Apple Pay or Pay Pal or whatever. Check and cash free existence is just some bullshit millenial urban pay area dreamscape.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:18 pm There are tons of people who don't take credit cards or Apple Pay or Pay Pal or whatever. Check and cash free existence is just some bullshit millenial urban pay area dreamscape.
:dat:
I had to get paid by my insurance company with a check for my roof damage and I had to pay my roofer with a check. My plumber doesn't take CC or paypal. He gets paid with a check, too. Same with the guy who services my whole-house generator, the guy who does my leaves, my boiler guy, every contractor I've ever used, etc. :wtf: am I supposed to do?

I also never ebay :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm

It's tough for frugal people with no kids or pets to justify, particularly if one of them is at home. :mahtroy: .
You have the dog though, and dogs are a mess, and you both leave the house during the day. Another justification for a cleaning person is relationship quality improvement.....
If you have any issues where one of you thinks the other is a bit of a slob, these issues get solved with having OP clean.

The two best checks I write are to our house cleaner and my accountant.
You still write checks? :disgust: :lol:
Any one running a (small) business is going to prefer a check. PayPal rapes us on fees and so do credit card transactions. I allowed my girls to pay via PayPal until the fees became more than just running it in the square. We’re doing it via venmo now until they catch on to running transactions in the thousands several times a month too.

Running them through personal accounts isn’t going to fly either. #taxes
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sno wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

You still write checks? :disgust: :lol:
Any one running a (small) business is going to prefer a check. PayPal rapes us on fees and so do credit card transactions. I allowed my girls to pay via PayPal until the fees became more than just running it in the square. We’re doing it via venmo now until they catch on to running transactions in the thousands several times a month too.

Well you could just pay taxes like everyone else.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:07 pm
Sno wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Well you could just pay taxes like everyone else.
Yes, but keeping them straight while running through personal accounts is a nightmare.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:18 pm There are tons of people who don't take credit cards or Apple Pay or Pay Pal or whatever. Check and cash free existence is just some bullshit millenial urban pay area dreamscape.
I had to get paid by my insurance company with a check for my roof damage and I had to pay my roofer with a check. My plumber doesn't take CC or paypal. He gets paid with a check, too. Same with the guy who services my whole-house generator, the guy who does my leaves, my boiler guy, every contractor I've ever used, etc. :wtf: am I supposed to do?

Adulting requires more than buying a cappucino via Apple Pay.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Desertbreh wrote:There are tons of people who don't take credit cards or Apple Pay or Pay Pal or whatever. Check and cash free existence is just some bullshit millenial urban pay area dreamscape.
The recent plumbing call, I was pleasantly surprised by the local company who billed me later rather than demanding payment at the time of service. They still accepted “modern” payment methods but just not having a “give me the money now now now” mentality was nice.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm
wap wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Adulting requires more than buying a cappucino via Apple Pay.
Well said, as usual.
wap

Calvinball wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote:There are tons of people who don't take credit cards or Apple Pay or Pay Pal or whatever. Check and cash free existence is just some bullshit millenial urban pay area dreamscape.
The recent plumbing call, I was pleasantly surprised by the local company who billed me later rather than demanding payment at the time of service. They still accepted “modern” payment methods but just not having a “give me the money now now now” mentality was nice.

Sent from the Beer Depository
My boiler guy did that last month, which was a surprise. Maybe it's because he lives 2 houses down from me? I still mailed him a check when I got the bill :doe:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I try to make one joke about people still writing checks. :sad: :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am I try to make one joke about people still writing checks. :sad: :lol:
paying for checks is stupid
#saltyfax
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am I try to make one joke about people still writing checks. :sad: :lol:
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :trollface: :triggered:
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 am
Posting the same :bs: across multiple threads is stupid
#haterade4cry4attention
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am
:lolol:
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am
wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am

:lolol:
:zing:
wap

Ay Pecs, put on your bankers hat, I gots a question for you.
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am Ay Pecs, put on your bankers hat, I gots a question for you.
Hit me.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 am
wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am Ay Pecs, put on your bankers hat, I gots a question for you.
Hit me.
We're pretty close to paying off our house (~$18k left) so I'm seriously considering just killing it this month/year. I know I have to call the mortgage company to get a payoff amount but my question is when exactly do I make that call? If I call now and get the payoff amount will that amount be frozen until the end of the month? I want to make the payment this month. Also, if I schedule it for the 29th, it probably won't actually post until early January. Does that matter for tax purposes?

Thanks. I'll hang up and listen for my answer.
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:00 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 am

Hit me.
We're pretty close to paying off our house (~$18k left) so I'm seriously considering just killing it this month/year. I know I have to call the mortgage company to get a payoff amount but my question is when exactly do I make that call? If I call now and get the payoff amount will that amount be frozen until the end of the month? I want to make the payment this month. Also, if I schedule it for the 29th, it probably won't actually post until early January. Does that matter for tax purposes?

A mortgage payoff amount will be for a specific day but also include a per diem. This way if they give you a payoff good thru say 12/26 for $18,000 with a per diem of $25; you'll pay $18,075 on 12/29.

If the payment doesn't post until January, you'll get the tax form for when you do your taxes for 2018. The Bank's I have worked at credit loan payments like that the day they are received.

Also, congrats on the payoff!
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm
wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:00 pm

A mortgage payoff amount will be for a specific day but also include a per diem. This way if they give you a payoff good thru say 12/26 for $18,000 with a per diem of $25; you'll pay $18,075 on 12/29.

If the payment doesn't post until January, you'll get the tax form for when you do your taxes for 2018. The Bank's I have worked at credit loan payments like that the day they are received.

Also, congrats on the payoff!
Got it. Thanks.

And thanks! Still trying to decide, but much excite to get out from under that yoke. We're switching to an HSA plan here next year and this will be a nice way to free up some funds for that.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Question for the DFD masses: are pho and ramen the same thing? AKA: "asian brothy stuff"?

Spoiler alert: the answer is no and any other answer is wrong. Sno and I might have to agree to disagree.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm Question for the DFD masses: are pho and ramen the same thing? AKA: "asian brothy stuff"?

Spoiler alert: the answer is no and any other answer is wrong. Sno and I might have to agree to disagree.
Lol you aren’t wrong. But they are both Asian brothy stuff.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Sno wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm Lol you aren’t wrong. But they are both Asian brothy stuff.
So, you're saying they all look the same?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm Question for the DFD masses: are pho and ramen the same thing? AKA: "asian brothy stuff"?

no. Ramen is wheat based noodles, pho is rice. Among other differences.
brain go brrrrrr
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm

no. Ramen is wheat based noodles, pho is rice. Among other differences.
Wait. I know I might be wrong but isn’t pho also ...noodles? It’s not rice.