Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Sno wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm

no. Ramen is wheat based noodles, pho is rice. Among other differences.
Wait. I know I might be wrong but isn’t pho also ...noodles? It’s not rice.
rice noodles, noodles made from rice vs. wheat.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Sno wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm Wait. I know I might be wrong but isn’t pho also ...noodles? It’s not rice.
rice noodles, noodles made from rice vs. wheat.
:fax:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm

no. Ramen is wheat based noodles, pho is rice. Among other differences.
Ramen is usually a heavier broth, with different shit in it, like eggz
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm

But still, Asain brothy stuff.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Sno wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Sure, the same as all weddings are fancy people occasions.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm

:triggered:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm Sure, the same as all weddings are fancy people occasions.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm

...you’re ..not wrong? Weddings = fancy
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm Sure, the same as all weddings are fancy people occasions.
:lol:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Ain't got time fo dat pinterest shit. First time making gnocchi from scratch, just blackened chicken with gnocchi in a parmesan garlic butter parsley spinach thing. Pretty tasty.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

rockchops wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm Ain't got time fo dat pinterest shit. First time making gnocchi from scratch, just blackened chicken with gnocchi in a parmesan garlic butter parsley spinach thing. Pretty tasty.
:notbad: :drool:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

rockchops wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm Ain't got time fo dat pinterest shit. First time making gnocchi from scratch, just blackened chicken with gnocchi in a parmesan garlic butter parsley spinach thing. Pretty tasty.
:bruh:

Get that ziplock bag out of the pic... #pinshit
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm Question for the DFD masses: are pho and ramen the same thing? AKA: "asian brothy stuff"?

Spoiler alert: the answer is no and any other answer is wrong. Sno and I might have to agree to disagree.
Yeah, they are pretty different...

That's like saying chili and chicken noodle soup are the same thing :triggered:

Ramen has very different, more rich broth. Pho broth is lighter. They have different types of noodles, usual different types of meat, veggies, other toppings...
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

This looks delicious. I could happily eat gnocchi for every mea for the rest of my life.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

No pics, but made one of those Blue Apron meals last night. Braised chicken with smashed potatoes and roasted broccoli.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm No pics, but made one of those Blue Apron meals last night. Braised chicken with smashed potatoes and roasted broccoli.
Was it good? 5/7?
SAWCE

Sno wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm No pics, but made one of those Blue Apron meals last night. Braised chicken with smashed potatoes and roasted broccoli.
Was it good? 5/7?
4/7. I don't know what kind of olives went into the sauce for the chicken, but I didn't love their flavor. Everything else was good though. Smashed potatoes were really basic with chopped capers, garlic, and olive oil plus salt and pepper to taste. I don't love capers, but they played really well in the potatoes. Michelle's parents get the boxes and they give us one here and there if they don't want it or won't have time to cook it. They've all been at least 4/7 so far.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

stripethree wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 am
Sno wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 am :dat: I promise to start taking really shitty photos to please him.
Nah, go the other direction. Post details on your new home lighting "studio" set up specifically for taking pinshit food pics.

Thanks for the recipe 4zilch, now I have a shopping list this evening.
Yes, please list and link to all your speed lights, soft boxes, umbrellas, reflectors and flags.
SAWCE

Does anyone here actively do Blue Apron or any of those other similar services? Michelle and I want to start cooking together a few nights a week, but $50/week for two two-serving meals seems like a lot. Sure it's cheaper than going out to eat two nights a week unless we do fast food, and its convenient to not have to think about what you're gonna make or buying some things in excess that you only need a very little amount of for a meal, but it's still expensive for what it is.

If you use one, which do you use, or what's the cheapest one you've found?
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am Does anyone here actively do Blue Apron or any of those other similar services? Michelle and I want to start cooking together a few nights a week, but $50/week for two two-serving meals seems like a lot. Sure it's cheaper than going out to eat two nights a week unless we do fast food, and its convenient to not have to think about what you're gonna make or buying some things in excess that you only need a very little amount of for a meal, but it's still expensive for what it is.

Wifey and I did Home Chef a bunch earlier this year and it was about $60 for 3 meals for the two of us. I liked it, and hope to pick it back up in the future as it broadened the stuff we would make at home. Plus I tried a bunch of sides I would normally pass up.
Recipes come on nice cards so you can keep for future use too.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am Does anyone here actively do Blue Apron or any of those other similar services? Michelle and I want to start cooking together a few nights a week, but $50/week for two two-serving meals seems like a lot. Sure it's cheaper than going out to eat two nights a week unless we do fast food, and its convenient to not have to think about what you're gonna make or buying some things in excess that you only need a very little amount of for a meal, but it's still expensive for what it is.

Wifey and I did Home Chef a bunch earlier this year and it was about $60 for 3 meals for the two of us. I liked it, and hope to pick it back up in the future as it broadened the stuff we would make at home. Plus I tried a bunch of sides I would normally pass up.
Sounds like similar pricing to Blue Apron. Theirs comes on a nicely printed card too to keep for future reference as well. Maybe we'll scale up to 3 meals a week. More money outright, but less per meal..
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:29 am
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 am

Sounds like similar pricing to Blue Apron. Theirs comes on a nicely printed card too to keep for future reference as well. Maybe we'll scale up to 3 meals a week. More money outright, but less per meal..
We liked Home Chef more because when you are choosing the meals, Blue Apron blocks more choices when you choose stuff. Ie. select 1 of 6 meals and they grey out 3 others, forcing you to get something you might not want.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:31 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:29 am

We liked Home Chef more because when you are choosing the meals, Blue Apron blocks more choices when you choose stuff. Ie. select 1 of 6 meals and they grey out 3 others, forcing you to get something you might not want.
Ah.. good to know. $40 off coupon for your first week at Blue Apron.. $20 for 3 meals isn't terrible.

Looks like most of them offer some sort of first week discount. I'll just bounce from company to company at one week each to get it all for cheap :scrooge: :lol:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

We did a free week and never went back. Food was decent but it was too much money for the amount, especially since we always plan to have leftovers available for lunch throughout the week.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

We do Hello Fresh every week for three meals. We order the two person package and supplement a little meat if my daughter is with us. $60/wk.

Advantages:
1. No meal planning for three nights a week, that's a big deal to us ain't nobody SAH in our family.
2. Good size to the meals but NO WASTED FOOD. But no leftovers for lunch doe.
3. Good quality food, interesting flavors but nothing over the top for spice haters.
4. Cheap compared to eating out.

A nice alternative to trying to plan 6ish meals at home every week. We eat out twice a week and make our own stuff or simply skip dinner on the other two.

Disadvantages:

1. On busy weeks we've tossed a meal before, Johnny W style.
2. Not cheap compared to meal planning yourself.

It's really a convenience, you're not going to save money over going to the grocery store.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.