Homebrewing Thread aka make your own beerz

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 am
Jaxper wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:30 am As someone who is interested in getting into home brewing after visiting a small brewery on our mini vacation over the weekend, what sort of monetary, space, and time commitments would I be looking at? Do I need extra ventilation, etc?

I'd likely set it up in our unfinished basement since we don't have any major plans for down there other than my gym, at the moment. My parents have a kit that I can have. My mom got it for my dad several years back before he was diagnosed with Celiac's. Is it ignorant of me to assume this would limit my monetary costs, at least initially?
1. 1st kit is about 150 bucks. OR DANG, MIDWEST AND THAT LOSS LEADER : https://www.midwestsupplies.com/platinu ... tarter-kit
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/simply- ... tarter-kit
I'd still try to find a good local spot for ingredients and yeast.
To get a nice easy thing going, expect to spend another 150-200 over the course of a year.
2. not much, 2 7 gallon buckets to start.
3. one month brew to drink if bottling. 3-4 hours on brew day, a half hour a week later, hour-hour and a half a week after that.

Toss that kit unless it comes with equipment. And then only keep it if its legit stuff like the above. Your typical BB&B "make your beer kit" is garbage.

other questions?
All :dat:

I prefer to brew outside, so I had a propane tank and a turkey fryer in addition to :fax: stuff.

Also if you have the means to store and chill 5 gallon kegs, I’d strongly recommend that over bottling. Bottling is messy and time consuming in comparison.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12 pm

1. 1st kit is about 150 bucks. OR DANG, MIDWEST AND THAT LOSS LEADER : https://www.midwestsupplies.com/platinu ... tarter-kit
To get a nice easy thing going, expect to spend another 150-200 over the course of a year.
3. one month brew to drink if bottling. 3-4 hours on brew day, a half hour a week later, hour-hour and a half a week after that.

Toss that kit unless it comes with equipment. And then only keep it if its legit stuff like the above. Your typical BB&B "make your beer kit" is garbage.

other questions?

I prefer to brew outside, so I had a propane tank and a turkey fryer in addition to :fax: stuff.

Also if you have the means to store and chill 5 gallon kegs, I’d strongly recommend that over bottling. Bottling is messy and time consuming in comparison.
Ditto on bottling. It sucks hard. Its why I keg.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 am you can scrooge on the regulator a bit and amazon china one for about $40. I havent found a cheap place to buy the co2 cylinder for under $70. Freezer can sometimes be found on sale for around $180. So there could be some dollars saved. Im happy with mine for now until I find a way to improve it. I'll likely add an opener and a beer drip tray.

The amber gonna be served tonight I think. If I feel frisky one day after work I will start up the IPA.
FWIW, my experience with Chinese regulators has been poor. YMMV
yeah, thats kinda what I'd expect. The taprite lives in the freezer unit now. with it raised correctly, the bottle will clear the lid. im prety sure I can fit 3 corny kegs in my setup.

I likely wont have more than 2 kinds on tap. My next venture will be to buy a 5lb and single regulator for my dad. He has a single kegerator unit he was given. He bought the gas and reg setup on this one for 2. Probably will just swap as needed.

The blichmann keg is pretty legit with removable bottom. Super great for cleaning. Also minimal liquid transferring.

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/cornical

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 am

FWIW, my experience with Chinese regulators has been poor. YMMV
yeah, thats kinda what I'd expect. The taprite lives in the freezer unit now. with it raised correctly, the bottle will clear the lid. im prety sure I can fit 3 corny kegs in my setup.

I likely wont have more than 2 kinds on tap. My next venture will be to buy a 5lb and single regulator for my dad. He has a single kegerator unit he was given. He bought the gas and reg setup on this one for 2. Probably will just swap as needed.

The blichmann keg is pretty legit with removable bottom. Super great for cleaning. Also minimal liquid transferring.

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/cornical

I have a 2lb I've love to swap for bigger if space is an issue.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

other questions?

:dat: :dat:

I looked into bottling. Hell, even bought some growlers on sale on amazon. :nope: and passed it up straight to kegging. Kegs is WAY easier and you can quickly carbonate. Or you wait 3-4 weeks to "bottle condition" with priming sugars to let teh yeast naturally carbonate your brew.

1. Bottling takes longer and waiting 2.5 weeks to drink my brew is long enough.
2. Bottling is really messy and generally a PITA. Some people find it a zen thing.

General kits are 34-50$ depending on how many ingreditents you need. IPA's are typically the most expensive to brew but are ready sooner and should be drank young (fresh), for the most part.

Stouts with lots of crazy adds ons can get expensive.

Any basic amber ale kit is a great easy way to start. All grain brewing is sorta of next level. Basic kits are sort of like cake-in-a-box. Follow steps. Control temps. Cool. Ferment. Keg. Carb. Wait. Drink.

In summary, its as easy and cheap or as tedious and expensive as you care to make it. I'd highly recommend jumping straight to kegging as its a better experience and great for social drinking. Lets be clear, most batches are 5 gallons and thats a LOT of beer. You mightneed some help to drink it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

After a few kits, you can talk to a home brew supply. I'd recommend find some locals/shop. We have a great club/shop locally and they are SUPER helpful. You can make some great beer with basic kits.

The next level in homebrewing would be trying to recreated a hard to find beer. There are countless forums and resources of people sharing recipes and methods. It really is endless after you get the basics down.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Oh dang. All good info. I honestly don't know anything about it yet so I don't even know what questions to ask. I'll have to read up on it a bit later on to see if it's something I truly want to undertake.
The panda hath arrived.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

I looked into bottling. Hell, even bought some growlers on sale on amazon. :nope: and passed it up straight to kegging. Kegs is WAY easier and you can quickly carbonate. Or you wait 3-4 weeks to "bottle condition" with priming sugars to let teh yeast naturally carbonate your brew.

2. Bottling is really messy and generally a PITA. Some people find it a zen thing.

General kits are 34-50$ depending on how many ingreditents you need. IPA's are typically the most expensive to brew but are ready sooner and should be drank young (fresh), for the most part.

Any basic amber ale kit is a great easy way to start. All grain brewing is sorta of next level. Basic kits are sort of like cake-in-a-box. Follow steps. Control temps. Cool. Ferment. Keg. Carb. Wait. Drink.

In summary, its as easy and cheap or as tedious and expensive as you care to make it. I'd highly recommend jumping straight to kegging as its a better experience and great for social drinking. Lets be clear, most batches are 5 gallons and thats a LOT of beer. You mightneed some help to drink it.
Also and option and was 5/7 for me is 3 gallon brew in a bag (BIAB) which is basically a :scrooge: version of all grain brewing.

Advantages:

is enough for one or two people to consume before getting g tired of it.

If it’s a shit batch, it’s only 3 gallons

Beer made from All grain brewing is generally cheaper than extract brewing

All grain tastes better (arguably)
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Also and option and was 5/7 for me is 3 gallon brew in a bag (BIAB) which is basically a :scrooge: version of all grain brewing.

Advantages:

Does it carb up in the keg faster and /or do you find the 3 gallon wastes more gas? I'd consider the jump Or at least trying it. FIL has some more kegs he is giving me so I might have more than one beer on tap at a given time.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Advantages:

Does it carb up in the keg faster and /or do you find the 3 gallon wastes more gas? I'd consider the jump Or at least trying it. FIL has some more kegs he is giving me so I might have more than one beer on tap at a given time.
:yes:

:doit:

https://www.amazon.com/Bev-Rite-Faucet- ... s=beer+tap
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Advantages:

The gas waste is marginal. Carb time is slightly improved, but I still think it tastes better if you give it a week or so to sit on the gas after the initial forced carberation.

Waiting was never a big deal for me though because I always had at least 1 other beer on tap. Plus usually another 2-3 batches waiting in the wings in carboys.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

The gas waste is marginal. Carb time is slightly improved, but I still think it tastes better if you give it a week or so to sit on the gas after the initial forced carberation.

Waiting was never a big deal for me though because I always had at least 1 other beer on tap. Plus usually another 2-3 batches waiting in the wings in carboys.
thats a shit ton of beer. I could see getting the 3 gal with all grain in a bag trick could work. I might try to find a smaller shorty keg and get some experimental batches going. I feel nervous about ruining 5 gals trying something new.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

thats a shit ton of beer. I could see getting the 3 gal with all grain in a bag trick could work. I might try to find a smaller shorty keg and get some experimental batches going. I feel nervous about ruining 5 gals trying something new.
I was making a lot of beer for awhile, which probably resulted in my burn out. I haven’t brewed anything in a very long time. Having beer on deck was nice though. Never had an empty tap.

Also Just get a 5 gal corny keg.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I was making a lot of beer for awhile, which probably resulted in my burn out. I haven’t brewed anything in a very long time. Having beer on deck was nice though. Never had an empty tap.

Live the :scrooge: life, 2 liter bottles lol
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Live the :scrooge: life, 2 liter bottles lol
:lolol:

custom screw cap too expensive.... :scrooge:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Updates. Having fun tinkering with freezer setup. I relocated the temp probe to more center and installed a PC fan to circulate air. Fan is running 24/7 right now. Seems to be helping keep a constant temp. I'm looking at building a raspberry pi to data log temps and be a temp controller. Just because. But for now it's good. Holds temp for around 30 mins+

ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 am Updates. Having fun tinkering with freezer setup. I relocated the temp probe to more center and installed a PC fan to circulate air. Fan is running 24/7 right now. Seems to be helping keep a constant temp. I'm looking at building a raspberry pi to data log temps and be a temp controller. Just because. But for now it's good. Holds temp for around 30 mins+

ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
:megusta:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Reading up on this, albeit lightly so far, really has me interested in starting. I think it'd be a wonderful future if I could open a craft brewery and gym in the same building LOL (though obviously separate entities). Who knows, maybe the home brewing and home gymming could lead to that!
The panda hath arrived.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So. I kegged up the beer Saturday let it sit till sunday. Carb'ed it to ~25-30 psi and rolled it around. For a few good slugs. it stopped taking co2. Let sit for a day at 20 psi. Monday night check: flat beer. Fridge temp was actually around 20 degreess too. Hence I added the fan and moved the temp probe to center of fridge. I put gas back to outlet and gave it a dose at 20psi. Pull pressure pin to purge a second. Let sit. Check Tuesday night. FLAT FUCKING BEER. By this point I noticed my regulator gauge for 10lb bottle is noticeable lower.

for reference when bottle was fresh gauge was at the 2nd tick in the green for "full"

Now its clearly under the 40 psi mark. Seems like a lot of gas in a 7.5 gal keg. :notsure:

I dont see or hear any leaks of gas. The pressure pin on keg is a little weak? at 30 psi on keg. i can barely blimp the pull ring and i hear a hint of gas noise. Seems to hold tho.

So tuesday night I cranked it to 35 psi and shook it a bit. It stopped taking co2. I let sit for an hour. Purged a bit of excess to get reading down to 15psi on keg.

I just dont see where I am going wrong. The last batch wasnt nearly this difficult to carb. I might just let it sit til friday before checking anything. The sample I pulled was still pretty hazy.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am So. I kegged up the beer Saturday let it sit till sunday. Carb'ed it to ~25-30 psi and rolled it around. For a few good slugs. it stopped taking co2. Let sit for a day at 20 psi. Monday night check: flat beer. Fridge temp was actually around 20 degreess too. Hence I added the fan and moved the temp probe to center of fridge. I put gas back to outlet and gave it a dose at 20psi. Pull pressure pin to purge a second. Let sit. Check Tuesday night. FLAT FUCKING BEER. By this point I noticed my regulator gauge for 10lb bottle is noticeable lower.

for reference when bottle was fresh gauge was at the 2nd tick in the green for "full"

Now its clearly under the 40 psi mark. Seems like a lot of gas in a 7.5 gal keg. :notsure:

I dont see or hear any leaks of gas. The pressure pin on keg is a little weak? at 30 psi on keg. i can barely blimp the pull ring and i hear a hint of gas noise. Seems to hold tho.

So tuesday night I cranked it to 35 psi and shook it a bit. It stopped taking co2. I let sit for an hour. Purged a bit of excess to get reading down to 15psi on keg.

I just dont see where I am going wrong. The last batch wasnt nearly this difficult to carb. I might just let it sit til friday before checking anything. The sample I pulled was still pretty hazy.
Dogg, you outta gas. That 40 BAR (ie 40*14.7=588psig).

Leaks are a bitch. I have had this happen. you should be way good for many, many batches of beer with 5 lb co2. I do 5-6 with my 2 lb.

I think i have a leak too....need to go through the keg seals i guess. My solution is to just tun off the gas when not serving.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am So. I kegged up the beer Saturday let it sit till sunday. Carb'ed it to ~25-30 psi and rolled it around. For a few good slugs. it stopped taking co2. Let sit for a day at 20 psi. Monday night check: flat beer. Fridge temp was actually around 20 degreess too. Hence I added the fan and moved the temp probe to center of fridge. I put gas back to outlet and gave it a dose at 20psi. Pull pressure pin to purge a second. Let sit. Check Tuesday night. FLAT FUCKING BEER. By this point I noticed my regulator gauge for 10lb bottle is noticeable lower.

Leaks are a bitch. I have had this happen. you should be way good for many, many batches of beer with 5 lb co2. I do 5-6 with my 2 lb.

I think i have a leak too....need to go through the keg seals i guess. My solution is to just tun off the gas when not serving.
:dat:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Food grade lube all the things. :pokebeads:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am

Food grade lube all the things. :pokebeads:
YEAH BUYING SOME THIS AFTERNOON.

AFTER I REFILL THE 10LBS CYLINDER

:rage:

I guess spitting on it aint the same as lube. :dock:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

all these hops at the local place.
http://www.lahomebrew.com/Brewing-Hops-s/1824.htm

:drool:

I kinda want to get teh Sorachi Ace as a finisher for the upcoming new IPA im going to make. It already has about 8 oz of a variety.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm all these hops at the local place.
http://www.lahomebrew.com/Brewing-Hops-s/1824.htm

:drool:

I kinda want to get teh Sorachi Ace as a finisher for the upcoming new IPA im going to make. It already has about 8 oz of a variety.
They're an interesting, but not my favorite in a typical IPA - they're really good in saison's :doe:

Are you doing a single-hop IPA?