So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm

More like making one's birthday.

I already got him a Chromebook at Christmas for school that was supposed to be for his Birthday next week, now he's getting this stuff too..
Should have got him a bag of hard knocks. Ain't nobody gonna grow up hard with a waxer uncle loading them up with video games.
Don't forget the heavy duty boot straps.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

You're abducting some 10 year old kids?

I already got him a Chromebook at Christmas for school that was supposed to be for his Birthday next week, now he's getting this stuff too..
How were you able to fit all this under the $50 gift cap?!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Box 2 showed up

I'm keeping these sweet ass headphones. These are the Momentum 2's / HD1's (trademark issue in the US with "Momentum 2") Bluetooth or wired, active noise cancelling over the ear with leather ear cups.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 pm Box 1 of 3 from work came today. Can anyone guess what else is coming?

:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Should have got him a bag of hard knocks. Ain't nobody gonna grow up hard with a waxer uncle loading them up with video games.
:fuckyeah: Dirk with the real life advice.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

nice, playing the role of spoiling uncle?
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 am

Yep. This one is worth it though, he busts his ass at school and plays Football, Basketball and Baseball while keeping his grades up.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 am

Yep. This one is worth it though, he busts his ass at school and plays Football, Basketball and Baseball while keeping his grades up.
:impressive:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 am

:notbad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Okay, so this week I've spent about $1,000 on backpacks.

Trying to find a new bag for my camera gear for my upcoming trips to Tennessee and Hawaii and this crap is difficult.

I have been using this Lowepro:

Lowepro Protactic 450 AW $249.95

But it is a bit too small to hold everything I want to take to Hawaii comfortably. This is roughly a 30 Liter bag that is awesome for protection, but just a touch too small with my more professional lenses that are larger. I have been using it for a few years now and have the smaller 20 Liter version as well.

So I bought this Peak Designs 30 Liter bag to try out after all the YouTube dorks say it was "the best bag EVAR!!!!":

Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L Charcoal $289.95

30L on the right next to the 20L.

I liked the idea of this bag and the expanding top, but in reality the side only access kinda sucks and I had to open the top to the last latch to fit all my gear, leaving it kind of open and exposed. Even then, I couldn't fit my SB-5000 flash or camera charger or some cleaning gear (rocket blower and pec-pads). This one is getting returned today.

Next up I have these two coming to try out:

Sunday I get this one:

Mindshift Gear FirstLight 40 Liter $329.00

This one is 10 liters bigger, but still fits as a carry-on bag on all the airlines.

This one has some interesting things about it, like the adjustable height of the straps by a big velcro panel, but it has a pretty unprotected notebook pocket. Not too concerned about the notebook pocket, I have a small sleeve I can use as a "personal item" on the plane. The only downsides from not seeing it in person yet are the non-removable waist belt and the material seems like it might be cheap. The waist belt does fold around the bag and clip to keep it out of the way though...

Next up, coming on Monday:

Moose Peterson MP-1 V2.0 $349.99

This one is a 40L and looks pretty great. It is different that is has 3 access "moose ear" compartments. Still good as a carry-on everywhere.

This one is really interesting to me as it is designed for/by/with the pro photographer Moose Peterson and holds a ton of gear. There is no notebook pocket, but again, I have the sleeve and if this holds as much as he shows in his youtube videos and works well in that config it is pretty awesome. Also, this one has a removable waist belt and the shoulder straps hid into the pockets right behind them with velcro enclosures.

If none of these work out, I am going to try the F-Stop Ajna next, but it is out of stock in black until early March.

F-Stop Ajna $259.00 + $99.00

This one is neat and convertible by having you buy your ICU (Internal Camera Unit) separately. So, you can go big, really big, medium or small whenever you want and it leaves more or less room in the top of the bag for other things. It also has a notebook pocket that is supposed to be pretty large and easily fits a 15" notebook.

Pro-large ICU:
This one is pretty highly rated, but again has a permanently attached waist belt that does not fold up and hide away, which I really don't like. However, being able to pull the ICU out and size up or down is really cool, and if you were ever asked to check the bag (it is carry-on sized) for a full flight the ICU comes out and you can keep all your expensive camera gear with you while the rest of the bag is checked.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

I bought the Peak Design 30L, bought it on their Kickstarter with the side bag. If you're expecting this to be a true camera bag, it is not IMHO. I bought it as a flexible everyday backpack that I can bicycle with, carry on a plane, etc. and it fits that bill well. It's stood up to a fair amount of abuse just fine.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 pm I bought the Peak Design 30L, bought it on their Kickstarter with the side bag. If you're expecting this to be a true camera bag, it is not IMHO. I bought it as a flexible everyday backpack that I can bicycle with, carry on a plane, etc. and it fits that bill well. It's stood up to a fair amount of abuse just fine.
Yeah, I think it would be fine as a multi-purpose bag, but the pitch from the YouTubers as an ultimate camera bag was misleading. Even Peak's site claims are a bit out of reality for a real-world use case.

They have this as being able to fit in the 30L:

There's no way I was able to fit my Mavic Pro in the bag with the same number of lenses, Speedlight, and Nikon body. If I really stuffed it in there most of it would be damaged after a 10 minute walk with it on my back. Also, I would need to have the mag-latch on the top latch and that exposes the contents when the flaps pop open from being that full/open.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 pmI would need to have the mag-latch on the top latch and that exposes the contents when the flaps pop open from being that full/open.
That's the biggest downside to the Peak Design bag. I rarely have it at 90%+ capacity and thus, am glad I bought the 30L since everything is covered/"in" the bag. It's a great bag for what I use it for but if I were buying a dedicated camera bag, it would probably not be on the list. Sounds like you already reached that conclusion.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 pmI would need to have the mag-latch on the top latch and that exposes the contents when the flaps pop open from being that full/open.
That's the biggest downside to the Peak Design bag. I rarely have it at 90%+ capacity and thus, am glad I bought the 30L since everything is covered/"in" the bag. It's a great bag for what I use it for but if I were buying a dedicated camera bag, it would probably not be on the list. Sounds like you already reached that conclusion.
Agreed. Returned it this afternoon, no questions asked at Best Buy.
troyguitar

I ended up ordering the Amazon fire hd 10 to use for autox, thinking that the bigger screen should be nice for looking at data. Hard to argue with $120 for a new 10" tablet with warranty.
Apex

New car seat for the pumpkin was purchased today. Munchkin was quickly outgrowing the infant seat.
New seat actually allows the passenger seat to slide back another couple inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 pm Image

New car seat for the pumpkin was purchased today. Munchkin was quickly outgrowing the infant seat.
New seat actually allows the passenger seat to slide back another couple inches.

Is that a selfie mirror?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Got both of those bags in today and did a quick comparison....

The FirstLight 40L is going back and the Moose MP-1v2 is staying. Already loaded it up with everything including my Mavic Pro and my headphones. Perfect fit.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 pm Image

Is that a selfie mirror?
:millennial:

And so I can take a quick look in the rear-view to see what she’s up to.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote:Got both of those bags in today and did a quick comparison....

The FirstLight 40L is going back and the Moose MP-1v2 is staying. Already loaded it up with everything including my Mavic Pro and my headphones. Perfect fit.
Moose looks the part. Solid upgrade. :like:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Got a new 20mm prime lens today.

Nikon AF-S 20mm 1.8

(1/2 drunk pic):

Seems pretty good from my quick tests earlier, crispest at f/5.6 and F7.1 or up. Nice and wide enough for most things I will want. Only downer is many of these newer lenses are made in China. Seems built okay, but maybe a tad lighter than any of my made in Japan lenses.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote:Got a new 20mm prime lens today.

Nikon AF-S 20mm 1.8

(1/2 drunk pic):

Seems pretty good from my quick tests earlier, crispest at f/5.6 and F7.1 or up. Nice and wide enough for most things I will want. Only downer is many of these newer lenses are made in China. Seems built okay, but maybe a tad lighter than any of my made in Japan lenses.
I'm waiting for the full :drunk: pics.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

if anyone needs some kickass comfy work boots (steel toe)

I can vouch for these. They are $150 local. Usually around $100 on amazon. Sale today for $87. If anyone was shopping.

https://www.amazon.com/Ariat-Groundbrea ... 2011&psd=1
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I bought a 22" 1080 computer monitor, rouku box, cable, and smart switch today.

:butwhy: you ask?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Also went :waxer: on wine at albertsons. Had a good bottle for a good price with a great half case discount....bought 130 bucks of wine that day. 13 bottles.
brain go brrrrrr