Home Security

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

There was an attempted break-in at a house 3 doors down from ours, and now the wife is in full-blown :triggered: mode. Our police department told us they already have a suspect they're tracking down, and they're going to amp up patrols in our area (I believe it, we're on one of the most expensive streets in our little city), but I guess I should consider some basic security. It's just smart.

I'm not looking to :waxer: I don't want anything fancy or monitored. I'm just looking for:

4 wireless cameras...one for the front door, one for the rear, one for the side, and one for the garage. We only have two doors into the house, and one side of the house has windows so high that you'd need a ladder to break into them. That side is REALLY close to the neighbor's house, so the cops would likely be notified and catch them faster than they'd be able to get in.

Wife wants door sensors and window break sensors. Seems just like noise makers to me, but I suppose it's worth considering.

What do you guys have?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am There was an attempted break-in at a house 3 doors down from ours, and now the wife is in full-blown :triggered: mode. Our police department told us they already have a suspect they're tracking down, and they're going to amp up patrols in our area (I believe it, we're on one of the most expensive streets in our little city), but I guess I should consider some basic security. It's just smart.

I'm not looking to :waxer: I don't want anything fancy or monitored. I'm just looking for:

4 wireless cameras...one for the front door, one for the rear, one for the side, and one for the garage. We only have two doors into the house, and one side of the house has windows so high that you'd need a ladder to break into them. That side is REALLY close to the neighbor's house, so the cops would likely be notified and catch them faster than they'd be able to get in.

Wife wants door sensors and window break sensors. Seems just like noise makers to me, but I suppose it's worth considering.

What do you guys have?
monitored shit thats wired and and has an app to arm /disarm.

IMHO, just pay someone to run the wires. Battery wireless shit is just a constant headache. I had ONE in my old house and it was a source of aggveration.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am There was an attempted break-in at a house 3 doors down from ours, and now the wife is in full-blown :triggered: mode. Our police department told us they already have a suspect they're tracking down, and they're going to amp up patrols in our area (I believe it, we're on one of the most expensive streets in our little city), but I guess I should consider some basic security. It's just smart.

What do you guys have?

IMHO, just pay someone to run the wires. Battery wireless shit is just a constant headache. I had ONE in my old house and it was a source of aggveration.
The cost will be insane. The house is all 100-year-old plaster, so even if I didn't pay someone to patch the walls, it'll still be a monumental pain in the ass. :hellno:

I'm really just looking for cameras. I think an alarm system is worthless unless it's monitored, and considering how safe our area is, that's a waste of money. This is just some :derp: that the cops have probably already caught, but wife will be :triggered: regardless.

Hell, most people don't even lock their doors on the street (I'm not that dumb), but this is really more an exception than the norm.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:15 pm

The cost will be insane. The house is all 100-year-old plaster, so even if I didn't pay someone to patch the walls, it'll still be a monumental pain in the ass. :hellno:

I'm really just looking for cameras. I think an alarm system is worthless unless it's monitored, and considering how safe our area is, that's a waste of money. This is just some :derp: that the cops have probably already caught, but wife will be :triggered: regardless.

Hell, most people don't even lock their doors on the street (I'm not that dumb), but this is really more an exception than the norm.
I have very little input on cameras. we have a motorola baby monitor that allows to to view over an app, but beyond that, idk.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Get some of those fake cameras that :crang: old landlord had.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm

:lolol: :notbad:

She wants to be able to review footage, doe. That could screw us.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:43 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm

:lolol: :notbad:

She wants to be able to review footage, doe. That could screw us.
Ah, damn.
ChrisoftheNorth

Pulled the trigger on a 3-pack of Netgear Arlo Pros from Costco. Two way audio, they can act as an alarm, free cloud storage (rolling week), 100% wireless, phone app, etc. Worth a shot. :iono:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm Pulled the trigger on a 3-pack of Netgear Arlo Pros from Costco. Two way audio, they can act as an alarm, free cloud storage (rolling week), 100% wireless, phone app, etc. Worth a shot. :iono:
Sounds promising. We have some little heathens in the neighborhood who like to take spare change out of cars. First time ive ever had to lock my car doors. Fucking Michigan...

May look into this myself.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm Pulled the trigger on a 3-pack of Netgear Arlo Pros from Costco. Two way audio, they can act as an alarm, free cloud storage (rolling week), 100% wireless, phone app, etc. Worth a shot. :iono:
Sounds promising. We have some little heathens in the neighborhood who like to take spare change out of cars. First time ive ever had to lock my car doors. Fucking Michigan...

Michigan? When did you move here and where you at?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 pm

December 2016. Just over a year. Grand Rapids.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm
Oh, right on! I really dig Grand Rapids. Excellent beer.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:49 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Oh, right on! I really dig Grand Rapids. Excellent beer.
Yep, pretty nice here. Summer weather is great. Winter is long but not as bad as I thought. I figured I'd be digging out the car every day. Using the ice scrapper multiple times a day has been a change though.

Sucks not being established here but hopefully that will come. My lived here for some years so I've got a few friends who I play trivia with each week.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am
Shitttttt you should have texted me.

I use Arlo Pros and am very happy and if they are good enough for me...
:ohdang: I didn't know!

That's a solid endorsement! The biggest concern is battery life and ease of changing/charging the batteries. I think that'll be easy enough to deal with, doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:33 pm
:ohdang: I didn't know!

That's a solid endorsement! The biggest concern is battery life and ease of changing/charging the batteries. I think that'll be easy enough to deal with, doe.
My driveway cam faces the road and therefore has tons of motion. That I charge weekly.

My backyard goes like 3 months no problem and my front door is about the same. If you can arrange them facing in, you'll be in great shape.

They notify you when they are down to 15%. Batteries charge with USB in a couple hours.
Do you remove the batteries to charge, or just take in the entire camera? Also, are you using outdoor mounts for them of just the magnetic ones?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

My entire house is wirless and monitored. In 3 years I've changed 1 battery the new stuff ain't bad.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Also a prop ADT sign out front won't hurt either. Most people wont take the risk if they see cameras and the ADT sign out front when House next door has nothing
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Finally got my Arlo's installed yesterday with a day of 50 degree temps. Got all 3 out...one on the front door that can see to the street and most of the driveway, one for the back porch that sees the back door and rear driveway, and then one on the side of the house covering our floor-to-ceiling window. The magnetic mounts are :mindblown:

:impressive: field of view on these things. Night vision is equally :impressive: Definitely nice piece of mind knowing the house is monitored now. Only beef is that the app kinda blows. If logs you out quickly after a short period of idle, and doesn't make it easy to log back in. And for some reason, it won't show live video quickly. I usually have to restart the app for it to start showing live video. Which sucks if you're trying to see who's at the front door or the like.

I'm especially fond of the geofencing capability. When I'm home, they don't record unless it's between 9pm and 6am. When I'm not home, they record 24/7 when motion is detected.

Gotta tweak motion sensing, doe. The camera on the back porch get triggered by these sheer curtains :tits: hung in the corners when the wind blows them. Not sure if I can desensitize the motion sensor enough, or if I'll have to take them down.