Dat bathrooom renovation thread, doe

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

5-6 weeks isn't bad to live with, IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:49 pm I'm late to the party here, but I love the kitchen reno. :popcorn: on the future updates dude! House looks awesome.
Thanks!

We've picked our contractor and they're about 4 weeks out. Same dudes who did our kitchen, actually. Should be about a 5-6 week project. Living through a renovation sucks, but it'll be worth it. Pumped! :fuckyeah:
I'd surprised if it took as long as 6 weeks. Our kitchen reno took 7 and it was a yuuge project.

Gutted all walls, ceiling and floor.
Installed 2 stairways and doors.
slightly lowered the height of a vaulted ceiling in the dinette.
Said dinette used to be an outdoor porch so the floor was pitched away from the rest of the kitchen. So the floor had to be cut away from the foundation and lifted up a few inches at the far wall to level it out.
Yuge new island with a prep sink and 4 outlets which required new plumbing and electrical.
A bunch of other shit including $23 k of new cabinets (in 2006 dollars)
New oak hardwood flooring installed.
A total of 19 light fixtures installed (combo of can lights, 2 ceiling fans, 3 pendants over the island, a small chandelier. and 1 wall sconce), 16 outlets, and 18 wall switches.

Then again, if they said 5-6, just assume that and be happy if it ends up being shorter.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am I'd surprised if it took as long as 6 weeks. Our kitchen reno took 7 and it was a yuuge project.

Said dinette used to be an outdoor porch so the floor was pitched away from the rest of the kitchen. So the floor had to be cut away from the foundation and lifted up a few inches at the far wall to level it out.
Yuge new island with a prep sink and 4 outlets which required new plumbing and electrical.
A total of 19 light fixtures installed (combo of can lights, 2 ceiling fans, 3 pendants over the island, a small chandelier. and 1 wall sconce), 16 outlets, and 18 wall switches.

Then again, if they said 5-6, just assume that and be happy if it ends up being shorter.
These guys are a small outfit and took 8 weeks to do our kitchen. That included building a new header for taking out a supporting wall, all new plumbing, all new electrical including a new panel, waiting a day or two for granite, etc. Seemed reasonable to me. The other contractor we came close to using said 5 weeks and they're a much bigger company than the guys we're going with. I'll be totally happy with 5-6.
wap

coogles wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 am
wap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am I'd surprised if it took as long as 6 weeks. Our kitchen reno took 7 and it was a yuuge project.

These guys are a small outfit and took 8 weeks to do our kitchen. That included building a new header for taking out a supporting wall, all new plumbing, all new electrical including a new panel, waiting a day or two for granite, etc. Seemed reasonable to me. The other contractor we came close to using said 5 weeks and they're a much bigger company than the guys we're going with. I'll be totally happy with 5-6.
:word:
Sounds like 5-6 weeks then. :notbad: really, as long as you have another bathroom to use in the meantime. :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Small updates -

Demo begins on Monday, we got pushed back a week but it's given us some extra time to figure out what all we want to do. Tiles, grout, fixtures, and vanities are all picked out. Since our house is older we're trying to make the bathrooms look as if they could almost be original. Turns out that means :waxer: spending levels on brass fixtures, marble tile, and solid wood vanities, but it'll be worth it.

I wish we could go with pedestal sinks, but the bathrooms are pretty small @ 7x8 and 8x8, so we need the storage and counter space from the vanity to make them more functional.

Faucet and handles - Image Image

Temp trims for the tub and shower - Image Image

More traditional-looking toilets - Image

And the vanities, one grey, one white - Image

Cannot wait to have this all done. :fuckyeah:
wap

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm Small updates -

Demo begins on Monday, we got pushed back a week but it's given us some extra time to figure out what all we want to do. Tiles, grout, fixtures, and vanities are all picked out. Since our house is older we're trying to make the bathrooms look as if they could almost be original. Turns out that means :waxer: spending levels on brass fixtures, marble tile, and solid wood vanities, but it'll be worth it.

I wish we could go with pedestal sinks, but the bathrooms are pretty small @ 7x8 and 8x8, so we need the storage and counter space from the vanity to make them more functional.

Faucet and handles - Image Image

Temp trims for the tub and shower - Image Image

More traditional-looking toilets - Image

And the vanities, one grey, one white - Image

Cannot wait to have this all done. :fuckyeah:
Nice choices.
In4updates
:popcorn:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Demo started this morning. :popcorn:
wap

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm Demo started this morning. :popcorn:
In4pics
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote:
coogles wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm Demo started this morning. :popcorn:
In4pics
:ohdang:

This is/was the hall bath. The door on the right is where the linen closet was. We're making that space part of the bathroom instead, moving the tub up to where the door opening is, moving the toilet to the right side behind the tub, and putting in a double vanity on the left vs the single pedestal sink we have now. Should be 5/7.

Master bath and second closet will start between the window you can barely see on the very right of the picture and go all the way across the room.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wap

Should be 5/7!

Keep posting update pics.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Some news. Demo was finished and the master bath and closet we're framed last week. This week it's been plumbing, HVAC, and electrical. About to order all of the fixtures and vanities. Not sure if it'll take another 4+ weeks, seems like they're moving pretty quickly, but we'll see!

ImageImage

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Super cute Indy house!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Nothing too crazy to report.

The guys are making decent progress - they got the floor in the hall bath leveled and have all of the plumbing for the master done. I was told the plumbing for the hall bath would start today, but they've run into a snag with that. We're moving the toilet from the left side of the room to the right side, but the way the existing pipe in laid, there's no room for the rough-in of the toilet in the new location. There's a decent chance they're going to need to remove the whole original cast iron line, which will require removing the plaster and lathe in one spot in the entry hall so they can cut that pipe and remove it. Not fun, and certainly not something he wants to have to do, but it's on the table.

I ordered over $8k worth of stuff today. :gag: Both vanities, all of the plumbing fixtures - 4x faucets and handles, 2x shower trims and heads, the rough-in valves, plus the 6 sconces and the ceiling lights...basically everything. Credit card still feels warm. We'd saved for it all and I'll pay it off as soon as the charge hits, but dang, still hurts. Contractor bro says we're still on target for 5 weeks, so that'd put us at being wrapped on Friday the 24th. Can't wait!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sno wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm Super cute Indy house!
Thanks!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

All of the fixtures are here, now just waiting on toilets, vanities, and lights - 6 sconces and the overhead for the master.

The Kohler Artificats line is g-g-g-gorgeous. Solid brass, all brass internals, seriously feels like it'll outlast the house. Perfect blend of classic style that'll fit a 1920's house while still looking fresh and modern. So happy we :troywax: on these.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

All of the fixtures are here, now just waiting on toilets, vanities, and lights - 6 sconces and the overhead for the master.

The Kohler Artificats line is g-g-g-gorgeous. Solid brass, all brass internals, seriously feels like it'll outlast the house. Perfect blend of classic style that'll fit a 1920's house while still looking fresh and modern. So happy we :troywax:ed on these.
wap

:notbad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Subfloors are in!ImageImage

wap

You still got a ways to go :doe: but progress is good.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Drywall goes up today. :like:
wap

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm Drywall goes up today. :like:
That's always a big step because your spaces get firmly defined once you close in your walls. :like:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Progress!

Hall bath -

Master -

Marble for the floor of the master and inside the shower pan -
wap

:fuckyeah: Nice!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tile is taking way longer than I thought it would. Tub got refinished today, though, and holy shit does it look amazing. Can't believe this hunk of cast iron is 90 years old.

Shower in the master isn't grouted yet, but the marble for the sill went on today.

wap

Looking great, man!