Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm

If I had another option for actually fast internet I would do the same.

It's Comcast with gigabit, or UVerse with 50mbit.

Or, spend ~$200k to have the fiber ring in my area extended 2 miles to my house and get 10gbit
Uverse is AT&T Fiber here. gigabit+ sometimes. I figured you'd have easy access to fiber.

I tried to get AT&T Fiber and they proved to be just as bad as Comcast from a customer service standpoint. :nope:

We've got 70mbit for $50/mo (don't need to call and play the game for promo rates either) from our local ISP and that's good enough for what we actually need. Never had an issue with internet speeds, streaming, etc.
AT&T built their entire network on old technology they got suckered into from Alcatel when ADSL was their standard. Even Uverse Fiber has some seriously stupid latencies. I don't have any issues with Comcast for internet, they are always fast and okay priced.

I have both residential and business comcast here. On both I use my own DNS, and on business I have full reverse control of my IPs and names, so my domain names point to certain machines in my house.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm
Uverse is AT&T Fiber here. gigabit+ sometimes. I figured you'd have easy access to fiber.

I tried to get AT&T Fiber and they proved to be just as bad as Comcast from a customer service standpoint. :nope:

We've got 70mbit for $50/mo (don't need to call and play the game for promo rates either) from our local ISP and that's good enough for what we actually need. Never had an issue with internet speeds, streaming, etc.
AT&T built their entire network on old technology they got suckered into from Alcatel when ADSL was their standard. Even Uverse Fiber has some seriously stupid latencies. I don't have any issues with Comcast for internet, they are always fast and okay priced.

I have both residential and business comcast here. On both I use my own DNS, and on business I have full reverse control of my IPs and names, so my domain names point to certain machines in my house.
:impressive:

I've had horrific luck dealing with Comcast in the past. Prices doubling, charged hardware rental when not needed, etc, etc, etc, NEVER

I use google's DNS and it works really well. I have no desire to change anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am We have a local ISP so I never have to pay Comcast another dime. Ever. It's my life goal to never pay Comcast ever again.
Sounds glorious.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am We have a local ISP so I never have to pay Comcast another dime. Ever. It's my life goal to never pay Comcast ever again.
Sounds glorious.
You should have WOW over by you! Check into it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Sounds glorious.
I will. I had the exact same issues as you with Comcast. They were charging me rental fees on my equipment. Customer service would just hang up on me when I tried to resolve it. Id go in person and think it was resolved only to have it not be.

We switched to ATT DSL I was so fed up with Comcast. It's not terrible but my wife's buffers on our fire HD. iPads run fine and I race Gran Turismo online no prob. 40 bucks flat for 50mbps.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm
I will. I had the exact same issues as you with Comcast. They were charging me rental fees on my equipment. Customer service would just hang up on me when I tried to resolve it. Id go in person and think it was resolved only to have it not be.

We switched to ATT DSL I was so fed up with Comcast. It's not terrible but my wife's buffers on our fire HD. iPads run fine and I race Gran Turismo online no prob. 40 bucks flat for 50mbps.
https://www.wowway.com/

"Mid-Michigan" supposedly covers your area. Their DNS sucks and causes outages. Use Google DNS and it's rock solid. We've never once had an issue after changing the DNS (free).
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

All I really use my internet for is some netflix/pr0n streaming.. Do I:
A) :scrooge: on 10mbps for $20/month? (cox)
B) Middle of the road with 50mbps for $40/month? (AT&T Uverse)
C) :troywax: 100mbps for $50/month? (cox)

All plans include 1tb of data/month
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:40 pm All I really use my internet for is some netflix/pr0n streaming.. Do I:

Try slow first and upgrade as needed?
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:40 pm All I really use my internet for is some netflix/pr0n streaming.. Do I:

Will 10mbps work with 4k streaming?
SAWCE

I can go 30mbps for $30/month with cox too.. missed that one.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:49 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Will 10mbps work with 4k streaming?
Netflix recommends 25mbps for 4k IIRC.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:52 pm I can go 30mbps for $30/month with cox too.. missed that one.
Is so that one. As long as it's reliable it should be good.

I don't 4k steam doe so not sure about that one
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:54 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:52 pm I can go 30mbps for $30/month with cox too.. missed that one.
Is so that one. As long as it's reliable it should be good.

I don't 4k steam doe so not sure about that one
:dat: It's the way to go.
SAWCE

So Cox I have to either rent their modem for $10/month, or buy one myself. AT&T gives you one for free.

That $30 cox plan then becomes $40, and I might as well get the extra speed from ATT and pay the same price.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm So Cox I have to either rent their modem for $10/month, or buy one myself. AT&T gives you one for free.

That $30 cox plan then becomes $40, and I might as well get the extra speed from ATT and pay the same price.
Dude, a modem is like $50 and will last forever. I'm still using the same one I bought when I lived in CA 7 years ago.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Certifi ... VEEE96AMMD

Get yourself a stand-alone WiFi router if you don't already have one. That's how the modem lasts forever.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:58 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm So Cox I have to either rent their modem for $10/month, or buy one myself. AT&T gives you one for free.

Dude, a modem is like $50 and will last forever. I'm still using the same one I bought when I lived in CA 7 years ago.
:word: thanks for the link dude. I'll grab that and go for the $30 plan. Their "intallation" fee is cheaper too.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:02 pm
:word: thanks for the link dude. I'll grab that and go for the $30 plan. Their "intallation" fee is cheaper too.
It's highway robbery that they charge $10/mo for a modem. You'll have it paid off in just over 4 months, and it will last forever. I've had mine on Cox, Comcast, and now local ISP service, all no issues.
SAWCE

Modem and internet both ordered. Bogus that they still charge a $20 installation fee when you have your own equipment since all you’re doing is plugging in. Oh well
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

ATT charged me 100 bucks for install even though I had a wireless account at the time.

They had to run a copper wire to my house or something
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:19 pm

ATT charged me 100 bucks for install even though I had a wireless account at the time.

They had to run a copper wire to my house or something
Yeah ATT wanted $100 for install here too. Sounds like whoever lived here before me had Cox, so it should be just plug and play when I get there.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm Modem and internet both ordered. Bogus that they still charge a $20 installation fee when you have your own equipment since all you’re doing is plugging in. Oh well
Well, they have to turn on the port at your apartment. Which is :bs: because from my experience in CA, the "installer" would just call a phone number, read out some codes around the box, and plug my shit in. That was it. 10 minutes tops.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm Modem and internet both ordered. Bogus that they still charge a $20 installation fee when you have your own equipment since all you’re doing is plugging in. Oh well
Well, they have to turn on the port at your apartment. Which is :bs: because from my experience in CA, the "installer" would just call a phone number, read out some codes around the box, and plug my shit in. That was it. 10 minutes tops.
Yeah, their site said that they still had to mail me an "installation kit". I had to call with a pin number I set up after I completed everything online, and I asked dude about it, and he said they didn't need to mail me anything, that I'm good to go. So if me calling was all it took, that's some BS for $20. We'll see what happens when I show up tomorrow with the router and plug in.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 pm
Yeah, their site said that they still had to mail me an "installation kit". I had to call with a pin number I set up after I completed everything online, and I asked dude about it, and he said they didn't need to mail me anything, that I'm good to go. So if me calling was all it took, that's some BS for $20. We'll see what happens when I show up tomorrow with the router and plug in.
It probably won't work until they come out. The installation kit is usually just some coax cable and maybe a network cable along with a bunch of worthless "offers" and paperwork and whatnot. Not missing out on anything.

FWIW, I always had fantastic service from Cox. Great internet, good customer service, it seems to be a legit :notbad: company.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 pm

It probably won't work until they come out. The installation kit is usually just some coax cable and maybe a network cable along with a bunch of worthless "offers" and paperwork and whatnot. Not missing out on anything.

FWIW, I always had fantastic service from Cox. Great internet, good customer service, it seems to be a legit :notbad: company.
Interesting. I opted for the “self install”. I’ll call tomorrow and see what needs to be done if it isn’t working.