Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Detroit wrote:Got out of the wood...fairly easy because there's a "backup plan".

Are you ready for it?

Brick veneer.

That's right, let's glue fucking thin pieces of brick to the wall to make a plaster wall look like a brick wall. The entire wall too.

At least I have to do nearly zero prep to the wall because the brick will look uneven anyway. Apparently this was her first choice, but wanted wood "for me" because it was free. The fake brick wall will be pushing $700 in material alone.

And brick is porous AF. Cleaning it will be a nightmare unless we seal it.

I wish we could go back to the wood and just let the house burn down.

:rolleyes:
:fullretard:
:dat: it's getting worse.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am Got out of the wood...fairly easy because there's a "backup plan".

Are you ready for it?

Brick veneer.

That's right, let's glue fucking thin pieces of brick to the wall to make a plaster wall look like a brick wall. The entire wall too.

At least I have to do nearly zero prep to the wall because the brick will look uneven anyway. Apparently this was her first choice, but wanted wood "for me" because it was free. The fake brick wall will be pushing $700 in material alone.

:wtf:

What is she looking at? these are terrible material choices! Even in interior design the FORM follows Function, not the other way around.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am

Well boys, looks like we need to get another horse. We should find a more practical animal to beat to death and beyond. Maybe deer?
Do we get to eat it afterwards, or will it be beaten too badly?
Its "tenderized" :sauce:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/qu ... lash/nqrwt

let's play find the porous backsplash materials. I bet we get to page 15 before we find one.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

made it to page 5, found marble. Kinda counts but you can seal it....
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am Got out of the wood...fairly easy because there's a "backup plan".

Are you ready for it?

Brick veneer.

What is she looking at? these are terrible material choices! Even in interior design the FORM follows Function, not the other way around.
Dude, brick veneer backsplash is all over pinshit. She showed me. It's all the rage for a "rustic" (I'm so sick of that fucking word) wall treatment in the kitchen. Why? I have no idea.

I've been pushing hard for porcelain tile. That's "boring" and "overdone" apparently.

Holy fuck guise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm made it to page 5, found marble. Kinda counts but you can seal it....
You can seal brick too apparently. Ceramic tile sealer.

:yeahok:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Page 8, found brick backsplash (part of the exterior wall doe, natural shit.)
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Sounds tasty. Let the beating commence.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Brick and wood on page 11.

:micdrop: lost that bet. Still deeply unpopular it seems.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 pm Page 8, found brick backsplash (part of the exterior wall doe, natural shit.)
Right. If this was part of the house, I'd be game with exposing it. This is like putting an M badge on a 320 or something.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Are you ready for it?

Brick veneer.

:gag:

Dat cheesy 70's look is :disgust: , not to mention the cleaning issues you mentioned. And I bet you'd have to reseal it periodically, too.
Sorry bro. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am

Well boys, looks like we need to get another horse. We should find a more practical animal to beat to death and beyond. Maybe deer?
Wouldn't it just be tenderized :doe: ?
wap

:dat:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Dude, brick veneer backsplash is all over pinshit. She showed me. It's all the rage for a "rustic" (I'm so sick of that fucking word) wall treatment in the kitchen. Why? I have no idea.

I've been pushing hard for porcelain tile. That's "boring" and "overdone" apparently.

Holy fuck guise.
:facepalm:
Can you play the "respect the architectural and design ethos of the house when it was first built" angle? They would have used ceramic for sure back in the 20's, and NOT wood or brick veneer.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Holy fuck guise.
Can you play the "respect the architectural and design ethos of the house when it was first built" angle? They would have used ceramic for sure back in the 20's, and NOT wood or brick veneer.
Reasoning?

You and I are both old enough to know this is a long shot at best.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Reasoning?

Yea I know. :(
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Reasoning?

:lolgasm:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, managed a win. Went to Lowe's to get some electrical stuff I needed, and we walked down the tile isle. She found a porcelain hexagon tile that she LOVES...and it's on sale right now for $7/sq ft.

Bought one sheet so she could see it at home, we both like it so I'm going to buy the rest tomorrow. Amazing that worked out.

Still gotta do open shelving, doe...but again I'll keep it cheap. She also wants a wood wall on the other side of the kitchen in the breakfast nook...I'll tackle that once the rest is done...which is hopefully after she lost interest in the idea.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:Well, managed a win. Went to Lowe's to get some electrical stuff I needed, and we walked down the tile isle. She found a porcelain hexagon tile that she LOVES...and it's on sale right now for $7/sq ft.

Bought one sheet so she could see it at home, we both like it so I'm going to buy the rest tomorrow. Amazing that worked out.

Still gotta do open shelving, doe...but again I'll keep it cheap. She also wants a wood wall on the other side of the kitchen in the breakfast nook...I'll tackle that once the rest is done...which is hopefully after she lost interest in the idea.
Take the doors off the current cabinets and live with them for awhile, that should be convincing enough to fix that idea.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 pm Well, managed a win. Went to Lowe's to get some electrical stuff I needed, and we walked down the tile isle. She found a porcelain hexagon tile that she LOVES...and it's on sale right now for $7/sq ft.

:fuckyeah: on the win.
:( on the open shelving. You should start taking bets on how long before she changes her mind once they're up. I'd say 3-6 months.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 pm
Detroit wrote:Well, managed a win. Went to Lowe's to get some electrical stuff I needed, and we walked down the tile isle. She found a porcelain hexagon tile that she LOVES...and it's on sale right now for $7/sq ft.

Take the doors off the current cabinets and live with them for awhile, that should be convincing enough to fix that idea.
:notbad:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 pm

:dat: see how it goes for a week and how much stuff accumulates on the dishes.. although she'll probably use her "the new hood will fix that!!" logic still.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Holy fuck guise.
LOL, you need the Fax to send in an airstrike and Napalm her with proper architectural sensibility and utility considerations. Dude will also probably want to replace your steam heater with a nuclear reactor.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Holy fuck guise.
LOL, you need the Fax to send in an airstrike and Napalm her with proper architectural sensibility and utility considerations. Dude will also probably want to replace your steam heater with a nuclear reactor.
MSR-E Works at atmospheric pressure and can't explode.
brain go brrrrrr