Home heating

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote:
Calvinball wrote:Image

So what the hell am I looking at?

Sent from the beer depository
Boiler? Looks like one kinda.
Yep. Boiler. :wub: the simplicity.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

could be a tankless hot water heater?
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

a huge fucking mess if that T&P valve ever opens. run that bitch outside ASAP
Don't need to route it outside. We just have ours running into a nearby sewer in the basement. Our hot water heater's, on the other hand... :yikes:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
a huge fucking mess if that T&P valve ever opens. run that bitch outside ASAP
Don't need to route it outside. We just have ours running into a nearby sewer in the basement. Our hot water heater's, on the other hand... :yikes:
...... and what do you think a circulating hot water system is?!?!

rougint it to sewer is probly ok too, but i get paranoid about super hot water and PVC pipe. just do SOMETHING with it.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
wap wrote: Don't need to route it outside. We just have ours running into a nearby sewer in the basement. Our hot water heater's, on the other hand... :yikes:

rougint it to sewer is probly ok too, but i get paranoid about super hot water and PVC pipe. just do SOMETHING with it.
Maybe it'll unglue all that atrocious 70's tiling.
:therapist:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Calvinball wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

breh, that isnt wood? looks like the wood end floor. which is super robust and can be refinished like 100 times over. They are very popular with the pinterest movement.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

that shit is fly af
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

dubshow wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
breh, that isnt wood? looks like the wood end floor. which is super robust and can be refinished like 100 times over. They are very popular with the pinterest movement.
No it's just some kinda crap glued to the slab.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
wap wrote: Don't need to route it outside. We just have ours running into a nearby sewer in the basement. Our hot water heater's, on the other hand... :yikes:

I meant our our domestic hot water heater, but I think you know what I meant.

My 110 year old house still has cast iron and clay drain pipes so hot water isn't an issue, but it shouldn't be with PVC, either. I gotta believe it can handle less-than-boiling water all day long.
wap

Calvinball wrote:
dubshow wrote:
It looks like tile to me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

My 110 year old house still has cast iron and clay drain pipes so hot water isn't an issue, but it shouldn't be with PVC, either. I gotta believe it can handle less-than-boiling water all day long.
oh now i see.

but yea you should route those somewhere too.....
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
wap wrote: I meant our our domestic hot water heater, but I think you know what I meant.

oh now i see.

but yea you should route those somewhere too.....
Yea, it's on the (never-ending always-growing) list

House shit...
Calvinball

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
It looks like tile to me.
It's the flooring equivalent of wood paneling.
wap

Calvinball wrote:
wap wrote: It looks like tile to me.
It's the flooring equivalent of wood paneling.
:disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Have you had to replace any of the cast iron pipes yet?

My system is making an audible water draining sound...not loud enough to be a problem, but I think the pipes are constricted from rust/scale and backing up. Especially after seeing the pipes that were replaced, 2" restricted to maybe 1/8.

I'm worried that I'm going to have to start replacing the pipes, which is going to SUCK.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote: I meant our our domestic hot water heater, but I think you know what I meant.

Have you had to replace any of the cast iron pipes yet?

My system is making an audible water draining sound...not loud enough to be a problem, but I think the pipes are constricted from rust/scale and backing up. Especially after seeing the pipes that were replaced, 2" restricted to maybe 1/8.

I'm worried that I'm going to have to start replacing the pipes, which is going to SUCK.
Yikes.
No, we haven't had to replace any pipes yet but the previous owners eldest son was a plumber and he used a lot of copper when he put in our boiler.
:alpo:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote:
Detroit wrote: Have you had to replace any of the cast iron pipes yet?

Yikes.
No, we haven't had to replace any pipes yet but the previous owners eldest son was a plumber and he used a lot of copper when he put in our boiler.
Dat cast iron doe? Or was that all replaced with Copper?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote: Yikes.
Dat cast iron doe? Or was that all replaced with Copper?
If we're talking specifically about my heating system, all the pipes seem to be copper, even the ones coming out of the floor that feed the radiators. As far as water pipes to our sinks and stuff, I'm not really sure, but I do see copper in the bare parts of my basement ceiling so it looks like most water pipes are copper but my main drain pipe is iron.
wap

The rads are all still cast iron, :doe:
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
Gas powered boiler I think
:dat:

Just wondering what all the bits are.

wap

Calvinball wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Gas powered boiler I think
:dat:

Just wondering what all the bits are.

Oh. Hang on.
wap

Ok, from the top.
The fat vertical pipe on the left is the flue, or exhaust. It should lead to your chimney.
The round thing on it's side near the base of the exhaust with the black wire coming out of it appears to be the electric flue damper control. It closes the flue when the boiler is off and opens it when it's running and comes up to temp. It helps to minimize heat loss up the chimney.
The vertical copper pipe on the right looks to be the return. It brings cooled water from the radiators/baseboards back to the boiler to be reheated and redistributed to the rads. If you put your hand on this it should feel cool relative to the other copper pipe I explain below.
The fat copper pipe on the left with the green shut off valve is the hot water supply going up to the rads/baseboards. If you put your hand on this pipe it should feel hot relative to the pipe I explained above.
The black cylindrical thing below the green shut off is the water pump. It pumps the water throughout the whole heating system in your house.
Below the water pump there appears to be a red shut off valve. My guess is this is opened to drain the whole system (you hook up a garden hose to the spout there and run it to a sewer). You should have this done at least every other year.
In the lower left is your gas supply line. Not sure of everything that square electrical box thing does but I'd guess that at least the thermocouple runs to it.
In the back I see another copper pipe with a shut off valve. I'm guessing it leads to an expansion tank up in the ceiling. This refills the system when you drain it and when you bleed the rads. There should be a regular valve up there somewhere that automatically lets in water when necessary.
That gayge in front should show water temp and maybe pressure.
The big rectangular gray box on the left houses the electronics and, maybe, a main shutoff. If not there, there should be a shut off switch somewhere nearby that kills the electric supply to the boiler. Mine is on the wall right behind my boiler.
To the right of the pump is the temp/pressure relief valve discussed earlier today. Get that thing routed to a sewer drain asap.
Can't 100% swear to the accuracy of all of this as I decided to open my new bottle of Makers Mark before Christmas. ;)

That's about all I can identify. Hope it helped.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote:
Detroit wrote: Dat cast iron doe? Or was that all replaced with Copper?
If we're talking specifically about my heating system, all the pipes seem to be copper, even the ones coming out of the floor that feed the radiators. As far as water pipes to our sinks and stuff, I'm not really sure, but I do see copper in the bare parts of my basement ceiling so it looks like most water pipes are copper but my main drain pipe is iron.
Most :impressive:

All our heating pipes are still iron. I don't think it's a huge concern for the steam pipes, but the condensate pipes that carry water might be :nuke:
I need to get my boiler guy back out here to assess. Might need to start replacing condensate pipes. :|
Calvinball

wap wrote:

Ok, from the top.
The fat vertical pipe on the left is the flue, or exhaust. It should lead to your chimney.
The round thing on it's side near the base of the exhaust with the black wire coming out of it appears to be the electric flue damper control. It closes the flue when the boiler is off and opens it when it's running and comes up to temp. It helps to minimize heat loss up the chimney.
The vertical copper pipe on the right looks to be the return. It brings cooled water from the radiators/baseboards back to the boiler to be reheated and redistributed to the rads. If you put your hand on this it should feel cool relative to the other copper pipe I explain below.
The fat copper pipe on the left with the green shut off valve is the hot water supply going up to the rads/baseboards. If you put your hand on this pipe it should feel hot relative to the pipe I explained above.
The black cylindrical thing below the green shut off is the water pump. It pumps the water throughout the whole heating system in your house.
Below the water pump there appears to be a red shut off valve. My guess is this is opened to drain the whole system (you hook up a garden hose to the spout there and run it to a sewer). You should have this done at least every other year.
In the lower left is your gas supply line. Not sure of everything that square electrical box thing does but I'd guess that at least the thermocouple runs to it.
In the back I see another copper pipe with a shut off valve. I'm guessing it leads to an expansion tank up in the ceiling. This refills the system when you drain it and when you bleed the rads. There should be a regular valve up there somewhere that automatically lets in water when necessary.
The big rectangular gray box on the left houses the electronics and, maybe, a main shutoff. If not there, there should be a shut off switch somewhere nearby that kills the electric supply to the boiler. Mine is on the wall right behind my boiler.
To the right of the pump is the temp/pressure relief valve discussed earlier today. Get that thing routed to a sewer drain asap.
Can't 100% swear to the accuracy of all of this as I decided to open my new bottle of Makers Mark before Christmas. ;)

Thanks Fap!

So how the hell does the dual zone work??
wap

Calvinball wrote:
wap wrote: Ok, from the top.

Thanks Fap!

So how the hell does the dual zone work??
You're welcome!
The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is a split in the hot water supply line somewhere and there is an electronic valve that is controlled by the thermostats that opens and closes to let hot water up to the second zone, but I don't really know for sure.