9000 Placs Per Minute

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Been driving the car more now that temps are regularly over freezing. It's definitely a great single car compromise. After flushing/bleeding the brakes they feel pretty good for sliders, the ABS system seems better than the Spyder's too.

9000 rpm really does not get old, similar to the way that V8 noises do not get old. You can actually cruise at 7000 in this thing, the smoothness is real. I'm still averaging 16 mpg. :whocares:

I can't wait to get out to autox but we still have awhile to go. First event isn't until 3/25.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 pm Been driving the car more now that temps are regularly over freezing. It's definitely a great single car compromise. After flushing/bleeding the brakes they feel pretty good for sliders, the ABS system seems better than the Spyder's too.

9000 rpm really does not get old, similar to the way that V8 noises do not get old. You can actually cruise at 7000 in this thing, the smoothness is real. I'm still averaging 16 mpg. :whocares:

I can't wait to get out to autox but we still have awhile to go. First event isn't until 3/25.
Yea I :member: this thing, I really liked the clutch/shifter and the epic smoothness. Rpms don’t matter. Gas is cheap :aintcare: it will never be this cheap again
troyguitar

The clutch is really great, but I think the NA/NB Miata actually has a better shifter. The NC/RX8 one is still good, but I don't think it's as direct/mechanical/metal-on-metal feeling. My buddy's 6-speed NB with 170k miles on the stock original shifter still feels perfect, like a bolt-action rifle ready to mow down some children. The RX8 one in comparison feels a little rubbery.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 pm The clutch is really great, but I think the NA/NB Miata actually has a better shifter. The NC/RX8 one is still good, but I don't think it's as direct/mechanical/metal-on-metal feeling. My buddy's 6-speed NB with 170k miles on the stock original shifter still feels perfect, like a bolt-action rifle ready to mow down some children. The RX8 one in comparison feels a little rubbery.
Change out the cup bushing, it's notorious for wearing and creating a sloppy shifter feeling.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 pm The clutch is really great, but I think the NA/NB Miata actually has a better shifter. The NC/RX8 one is still good, but I don't think it's as direct/mechanical/metal-on-metal feeling. My buddy's 6-speed NB with 170k miles on the stock original shifter still feels perfect, like a bolt-action rifle ready to mow down some children. The RX8 one in comparison feels a little rubbery.
Change out the cup bushing, it's notorious for wearing and creating a sloppy shifter feeling.
Interesting, I figured at 32k miles it shouldn't be a problem but I'll check it out. Does an OEM replacement work alright for awhile? I don't think I'm allowed to put aftermarket stuff in for Street class.
troyguitar

Cheap part is cheap, went ahead and ordered one preemptively. :troywax:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322141086559

I figure for $11 I might as well put a new one in if I'm going to take the shifter apart to check it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm
Melon wrote:
Interesting, I figured at 32k miles it shouldn't be a problem but I'll check it out. Does an OEM replacement work alright for awhile? I don't think I'm allowed to put aftermarket stuff in for Street class.
Oh yeah, an OEM replacement should help firm up the shifts.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote:
Melon wrote: Change out the cup bushing, it's notorious for wearing and creating a sloppy shifter feeling.
32k miles, but how many years?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Calvinball wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 pm
troyguitar wrote:Interesting, I figured at 32k miles it shouldn't be a problem but I'll check it out. Does an OEM replacement work alright for awhile? I don't think I'm allowed to put aftermarket stuff in for Street class.

And you never know the state of the :derp: driving it...
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:55 pm

:word:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 am

:lolol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 am

:lolgasm:
That's a great gif.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

The :plac: saga is over. I went from 5000 lbs of vehicles with 275k miles to 2900 lbs and 31k miles for a grand total of zero dollars using 100% :plac: profit to fund the new shit. Spent $10k on new car and $1k in modzzz, sold $10k in old cars and $1k in old modzzz.

Vibe sold 2 or 3 weeks ago for $3k after spending ~$9k on it over ~50 months and ~50k miles, $0.12/mi $120/mo, not counting insurance/fuel.

MR2 sold last weekend for $7k plus $1k in extra parts to a separate buyer, spent ~$9500 on it over 9 months and 12k miles and ~150 autox runs, $0.125/mi $167/mo not counting insurance/fuel. I took it to a national autox event in Charlotte last weekend, didn't drive very well but showed that the car was clean and fast, it sold that night to a national autox guy who had a friend drive it home on Saturday and I hitched a ride back to KY with some other local people.

SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Welcome back!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:48 pm The :plac: saga is over. I went from 5000 lbs of vehicles with 275k miles to 2900 lbs and 31k miles for a grand total of zero dollars using 100% :plac: profit to fund the new shit. Spent $10k on new car and $1k in modzzz, sold $10k in old cars and $1k in old modzzz.

Vibe sold 2 or 3 weeks ago for $3k after spending ~$9k on it over ~50 months and ~50k miles, $0.12/mi $120/mo, not counting insurance/fuel.

MR2 sold last weekend for $7k plus $1k in extra parts to a separate buyer, spent ~$9500 on it over 9 months and 12k miles and ~150 autox runs, $0.125/mi $167/mo not counting insurance/fuel. I took it to a national autox event in Charlotte last weekend, didn't drive very well but showed that the car was clean and fast, it sold that night to a national autox guy who had a friend drive it home on Saturday and I hitched a ride back to KY with some other local people.

:notbad: and :howdy:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Hows the dorito been? Still thinking of :plac: eventually to a Porsche?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:Hows the dorito been? Still thinking of :plac: eventually to a Porsche?
It's good, still haven't been able to autox it. Our local events were canceled due to snow/ice 2 weekends ago and the forecast for this weekend looks similar. Fucking 20F this Saturday night in KY. I'm still waiting for global warming to kick in... That's why I took the MR2 to Charlotte, didn't want to take an unproven car 7 hours away for its first event.

Future :plac: is hard to predict. If we are stuck in upstate NY I'll probably drive a cheap-ish car (2.5 Golf with an exhaust?) and build a motion simulator to do iRacing because the weather sucks and it is in the middle of nowhere. If we do end up moving to Charlotte then I'll probably want to get a shifter kart or build a 600cc sportbike powered racecar plus small-ish tow vehicle since I'd have somewhere to run it. Either way I think a Porsche as a DD would be cool but a secondary priority. Here's the local autox venue in Charlotte, it's yuuge:

ImageImage
Johnny_P

Damn that's a massive course and a lot of cars. Probably fun.

When did the upstate NY thing become a possibility? Middle of nowhere, poor road conditions, yikes. Probably lots of dirt roads too. Not that you can't have fun in such conditions but it's a different kind of fun.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:Damn that's a massive course and a lot of cars. Probably fun.

When did the upstate NY thing become a possibility? Middle of nowhere, poor road conditions, yikes. Probably lots of dirt roads too. Not that you can't have fun in such conditions but it's a different kind of fun.
Global HQ for the wife's employer, Corning Glass, is in Corning, NY. It's always been likely that we'd be stuck there for awhile - there and Taiwan/Korea are both annoying possibilities. We're shooting for NC and doing it this summer but anything could happen at this point.

I figure that if we don't get NC, I'll go super :scrooge: besides the motion rig. Nothing to do in the area? Might as well retire to a better place earlier. Our investments are sitting at about -2% so far though... :thanksobama:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Global HQ for the wife's employer, Corning Glass, is in Corning, NY. It's always been likely that we'd be stuck there for awhile - there and Taiwan/Korea are both annoying possibilities. We're shooting for NC and doing it this summer but anything could happen at this point.

I figure that if we don't get NC, I'll go super :scrooge: besides the motion rig. Nothing to do in the area? Might as well retire to a better place earlier. Our investments are sitting at about -2% so far though... :thanksobama:
Corning looks like a nice little town. NC does sound more ideal though.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Damn tee. That's a big ass pad. Looks like fun :)
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:46 pm Global HQ for the wife's employer, Corning Glass, is in Corning, NY. It's always been likely that we'd be stuck there for awhile - there and Taiwan/Korea are both annoying possibilities. We're shooting for NC and doing it this summer but anything could happen at this point.

Corning looks like a nice little town. NC does sound more ideal though.
Corning is great if your hobbies mostly involve killing things and being cold+dirty. It's not great for me though and it's really terrible for the wife. I'd sort of be OK with getting a camper-van, snowmobile, and dirtbike - or maybe one of those small dune buggy type things with summer and winter tires for it, but the wife would not be a fan.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:46 pm

I was tempted by a 1600 dollar motion rig recently. its in the couch racer thread
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:50 pmWelcome back!
:dat:
:whalecum: back :mahtroy: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.