Corollise GT RS 1.8

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:plac: :stig: :troywax:

2003 Spyder 111k miles. Started out in CA, then moved to KY with 2nd owner. 3rd owner was an older woman, maybe 55-60 now. She used it as a DD for a few years and then it's been the weekend cruiser since 2011. Front tires are from 2007, rears from 2010, CEL was on for a $50 O2 sensor, and there's an oil leak from the valve cover gasket. Otherwise there are just cosmetic issues but none of them too bad, both bumpers could use a respray if I really cared and the headlights need a refinish. Clutch is strong, trans shifts great, engine pulls like it should, suspension feels OK and there's NO RUST anywhere underneath.

$4700 :fuckyeah: :carlton: :alpo:
troyguitar

I only have 60 miles on it but the thing is :fuckyeah:

I'm going to take it to autox on the 2007-era tires tomorrow just for :lolol:

The steering is just so good it's :mindblown: :stig:

Brakes feel like they need to be bled and probably either better pads put on or just the stock ones re-bedded, I don't think this car has ever been driven hard.

The shifter is somehow way better than the Vibe's even though it should be the same. It's not miata/S2K quality but about as good as a cable-shifter can be.

Being 21xx lbs just makes everything better. It's 138 hp or whatever but lightweight plus short gearing makes it not slow.

Highway ride/NVH is not terrible but definitely not great - beats the hell out of my buddy's NB miata though. Headroom is also about 2-3" better than the NB and the stock seats are really comfortable. Lateral support is minimal :doe: so will need to use the seatbelt cinched down to try and stay in place for autox.

I haven't driven it with the top up yet so :notsure: how quiet it can be, with the top down but windows and rear wind deflector up it is not terrible at speed. Tested up to 100 or so and wind/noise wasn't ridiculous.
troyguitar

Further update: It's definitely still loud on the highway with the top up, but the stereo sounds surprisingly decent at lower speeds when you don't have to crank the shit out of it to hear it.

The halogen projector headlights are pretty good too. Tires are cheap as fuck. The most expensive autox tires are $531/set, regular street tires are under $300/set.
troyguitar

Noon 6/25 update:

I'm halfway through the first autox day. Tires are shit obviously but the car is :fuckyeah:

I'm sitting 2nd/3rd of 10 drivers in class on the 2007 vintage tarz :lolol:
troyguitar

Final 6/25 autox update:

Car ran great all day including half a dozen 4000 RPM clutch drops. It turns out that trying to launch it in a "spirited but gentle" manner results in epic clutch slippage... but just dumping it from 4k gives you a little tire spin and :notbad: acceleration for 138 hp. Ended up 3rd of 10 guys in class, the 2nd guy squeaked past me by a bit. I ran 48.993 to his 48.912 - :thanksobama:

The old ass tires lasted exactly 7 autox runs though, the right rear gave up in the last corner of the last run and I had to put the donut on to drive home.

This car is amazing. More fun to drive than a :poorvette: by far in autox and on public roads.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 pm Final 6/25 autox update:

Car ran great all day including half a dozen 4000 RPM clutch drops. It turns out that trying to launch it in a "spirited but gentle" manner results in epic clutch slippage... but just dumping it from 4k gives you a little tire spin and :notbad: acceleration for 138 hp. Ended up 3rd of 10 guys in class, the 2nd guy squeaked past me by a bit. I ran 48.993 to his 48.912 - :thanksobama:

The old ass tires lasted exactly 7 autox runs though, the right rear gave up in the last corner of the last run and I had to put the donut on to drive home.

This car is amazing. More fun to drive than a :poorvette: by far in autox and on public roads.
:fuckyeah:

Sounds like you had a great weekend with the new toy!
troyguitar

End of the event...Image
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:31 pm End of the event...Image
Color matched spare? :impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

How did autox end up for you?

Will the vibetrix seats fit into the :GTcorolla:?

I'm glad this car made it to DFD :fuckyeah: , I've liked it since my neighbor got his 87? MR2 and around the time I got my first RWD low powered Jap fun car (240sx).
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Lol on the tire sitch. Just missed that while I was typing. :fuckyeah: !
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Congrats dude. I've only ridden in one of these things once, but it was fun for sure..
troyguitar

Now I need to figure out :wtf: to do about tires. I've pretty much decided to use a dedicated autox set on the incoming lightweight wheels and keep the vibe for whatever winter/hauling duties are needed, so that means I'm looking for regular summer or all season street tires to use for DD/trips on the stock wheels. The problem?

Stock wheels are 15x6 front, 16x7 rear and I need stuff around 23" in OD - ideally close to square or a little bigger in the back both in width and diameter. Top contenders that I can see right now are:

BFG Sport Comp 2 in 195/50/15 & 205/45/16
Yokohama S Drive in 195/50/15 & 205/45/16
Conti EC Sport in 205/50/15 & 205/45/16
Kumho Ecsta 4XII in 195/55/15 & 195/50/16

The Contis are the "best" and most expensive but the front is really a little too wide for a 6" wheel. The Kumhos are the cheapest but are pretty floppy and tall compared to the rest which means longer effective gearing. I'm leaning toward the BFG's as a middle of the road option unless I find something else better soon.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:lol: my MexiYaris's spare tire is skinnier than yours
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Glad you had a great time with your new to your car. I rode shotgun on one of those once, but I was 12. But I do recall that I have enjoyed it, but didn't knew better back then.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

:fuckyeah:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

It came with a real scissor jack, too? :impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

Also considering just getting a set of cheaper 15x7's to run a square setup, gain the ability to rotate tires, be able to use the same lug nuts with both sets of wheels, and later be able to use them as spare autox rear wheels if necessary... :notsure:

These things are pretty :poorvette: :lolgasm: :derp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTA-CLASSIC-KY ... ui&vxp=mtr

Most likely choice would be RPF1 knockoffs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-356-WHEEL-T ... Lg&vxp=mtr

but I kind of like these blue things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Konig-26B ... 5l&vxp=mtr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Actual cool car shit going on in this thread! Did I mention how pumped I am about this car yet?

I doubt anyone knows more about this stuff then you do but if it were me shopping I'd go sticky as possible on stock ramz this go around and see how things pan out
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 pm Also considering just getting a set of cheaper 15x7's to run a square setup, gain the ability to rotate tires, be able to use the same lug nuts with both sets of wheels, and later be able to use them as spare autox rear wheels if necessary... :notsure:

These things are pretty :poorvette: :lolgasm: :derp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTA-CLASSIC-KY ... ui&vxp=mtr

Most likely choice would be RPF1 knockoffs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-356-WHEEL-T ... Lg&vxp=mtr

but I kind of like these blue things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Konig-26B ... 5l&vxp=mtr
This makes the most sense, IMO. Those RPF1 knock-offs would look :jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Troy, I can guarantee you that thing will survive 18" flood water.

Also, the valve cover gasket on the Corolla leaks a little erl, I just wipe it up with each erl change and :aintcare:
It's got 167k on the clock and still drives well. I took it out this weekend, bounced off the limiter.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:22 pm I only have 60 miles on it but the thing is :fuckyeah:

Brakes feel like they need to be bled and probably either better pads put on or just the stock ones re-bedded, I don't think this car has ever been driven hard.

The shifter is somehow way better than the Vibe's even though it should be the same. It's not miata/S2K quality but about as good as a cable-shifter can be.

Being 21xx lbs just makes everything better. It's 138 hp or whatever but lightweight plus short gearing makes it not slow.

Highway ride/NVH is not terrible but definitely not great - beats the hell out of my buddy's NB miata though. Headroom is also about 2-3" better than the NB and the stock seats are really comfortable. Lateral support is minimal :doe: so will need to use the seatbelt cinched down to try and stay in place for autox.

I haven't driven it with the top up yet so :notsure: how quiet it can be, with the top down but windows and rear wind deflector up it is not terrible at speed. Tested up to 100 or so and wind/noise wasn't ridiculous.
ok, 1. :fuckyeah: you found a car you like.

2. :narc:
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I noticed that this thing has staggered wheel setup as well. Can't you just run 205s all around ? Or 225s on 16x7? Or does no one make a decent offset for that. Staggered wheels and tires are kind of a pain
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 am
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:22 pm I only have 60 miles on it but the thing is :fuckyeah:

ok, 1. :fuckyeah: you found a car you like.

2. :narc:
Fucking snitch
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am I noticed that this thing has staggered wheel setup as well. Can't you just run 205s all around ? Or 225s on 16x7? Or does no one make a decent offset for that. Staggered wheels and tires are kind of a pain
Yeah I can run square, just have to buy another $400+ set of wheels to do so. If I actually keep the car like I should, then long term that cost should be no big deal. 195, 205, 215, 225 square all fit fine. For the autox-specific wheels I have to stay staggered to stay in stock class, but I'm going to have 205's all around anyway on those wheels, so the tires can be rotated but they have to be re-mounted to do so.

I'm also impatient :doe: and kind of want to take the car on our trip to MI this weekend, which I could only do if I get tarz on the stock :ramz: instead of waiting for shit to ship out here from CA before getting tires. Gotta decide today, :notsure: which way I'll go.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How can you rotate the tires between 15/16" wheels. I'm assuming you mean between rr and lr and vice versa.

Bummer about the stock class regulation. But sticky tires decent shocks and pads should be plenty fun. 2100lbs and 195s is like having 315s on the poorvette dat bish is super light