Corollise GT RS 1.8

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm Similarly, the 370Z is the same car since 2008/9. Who fucking cares? It's still better than the competition. Why do you need new things just because they're new?
People get bored, like shiny things, etc.

The thing is, as a product gets older, the price has to drop to compete. I bet an ST is a fantastic value these days.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm Similarly, the 370Z is the same car since 2008/9. Who fucking cares? It's still better than the competition. Why do you need new things just because they're new?
Except Fist is not better than the competition.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm
What does the FiST even compete with here? The Abarf?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:40 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm

GTI here and a slew of other cars abroad. I'd say the FiST stopped being competitive in 2014 or so... That chassis/platform is very dated.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:40 pm
GTI here and a slew of other cars abroad. I'd say the FiST stopped being competitive in 2014 or so... That chassis/platform is very dated.
I think you mean FoST no?

The FiST is smaller.

Regardless, both are ancient.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:45 pm I think you mean FoST no?

The FiST is smaller.

Regardless, both are ancient.
Yeah, FiST doesn't have any direct competition at all. None of the other cars in its class has anywhere near the performance. Sonic with the 1.4t or a Fit Sport? :lol: Nothing else is close.
max225

I meant focus...fking up.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Focus ST still has the best seats and most fun handling out of the box compared to the competition, but whatever. No DSG or :plaid: seats == it's a piece of worthless garbage I guess.

Results up from Sunday:

http://www.ckrscca.org/events/2017/10/1 ... result/pax

Barely beat out a new Hype R which has been provisionally classed in DS (and will likely end up being bumped up). It's a fast car, especially for FWD. Somehow it was putting power down really well, looks like Honda did their homework on that one.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

The thing is, as a product gets older, the price has to drop to compete. I bet an ST is a fantastic value these days.
Focus ST can be had cheap. I think you can get a new base model FoST right around $20k + tax and fees. I'd seriously consider that over a GTI.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... FOCUS%7CST

Some of these discounts will be fake news and all, but yeah, looks like around $20 large will get you into a pretty powerful hoon machine hatchback. I'm willing to bet that despite being older than the MK7 GTI, it's probably more of a hoot to drive.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm Focus ST still has the best seats and most fun handling out of the box compared to the competition, but whatever. No DSG or :plaid: seats == it's a piece of worthless garbage I guess.

Results up from Sunday:

http://www.ckrscca.org/events/2017/10/1 ... result/pax

Barely beat out a new Hype R which has been provisionally classed in DS (and will likely end up being bumped up). It's a fast car, especially for FWD. Somehow it was putting power down really well, looks like Honda did their homework on that one.
My 2000 Focus was far less capable than my MK6 GTI, but it's handling was in a way more fun. It was more likely to step the back out during hard cornering which was :lolol:
The FoST, from what I've read, will exhibit this behavior where the MK7 won't. In terms of power, looks like the VAG 2.0T engine is underrated or has stronger ponies than the Ford. That's not to say the FoST is slow doe. Both are probably limited by how much power they can put down from a stop. I think either would be plenty quick.

And I don't really mind the Focus interior? I don't think it's as horrible as people make it out to be. :iono: doe. VW uses more flat plastic and gloss. I guess that means it's nicer. It's all the same shit quality just looks different.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Focus ST can be had cheap. I think you can get a new base model FoST right around $20k + tax and fees. I'd seriously consider that over a GTI.

Some of these discounts will be fake news and all, but yeah, looks like around $20 large will get you into a pretty powerful hoon machine hatchback. I'm willing to bet that despite being older than the MK7 GTI, it's probably more of a hoot to drive.
7gs off sticker. :impressive: New is once again less than used. :wtf:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:29 pm

@fledonfoot has owned both, IDK how he feels about them. Current is a 6MT MK7 GTI. Old was a FoST. He also owned a FRS, so he's a good resource to talk to about ownership of these things.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

@fledonfoot has owned both, IDK how he feels about them. Current is a 6MT MK7 GTI. Old was a FoST. He also owned a FRS, so he's a good resource to talk to about ownership of these things.
There is an inherent bias to love the car you have to now come off as :fullretard: because no one likes to admit they're wrong :gaydance:

I have driven the ST and Mk6 TDI, GTI, R and the Mk7 GTI SE PP and a non pp. :impressive: dang I forgot how many I drove... The SE PP was a great blend of luxury/performance. I wouldn't want more power in it, and it has a DSGAY. I don't see myself picking an ST for any reason other than price.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

There is an inherent bias to love the car you have to now come off as :fullretard: because no one likes to admit they're wrong :gaydance:

I have driven the ST and Mk6 TDI, GTI, R and the Mk7 GTI SE PP and a non pp. :impressive: dang I forgot how many I drove... The SE PP was a great blend of luxury/performance. I wouldn't want more power in it, and it has a DSGAY. I don't see myself picking an ST for any reason other than price.
There may be, but if I had my choice I'd be dailying my FR-S again from a driving dynamics standpoint. Best sub $30k driver's car on the market when driven at it's limit. Sucks as a daily due to the torque dip. Otherwise is a poor man's Cayman when driven in the higher RPM range.

But in the real world, it's different.

I had a pre-facelift FoST ST1 and bought a set of Recaro's to put in it. Fantastic seats. The car was a fucking riot, especially with the Ford Racing tune. Think FWD mustang/muscle car, basically - 300hp and 360tq. Spun 3rd with summer tires. Torque steered like a bitch. Lift off oversteer to the border of being too rotatey - until I put the Mountune Clubsport cup kit suspension on it and it dialed it back a bit. The car was fun as hell. Sold it because it started eating oil and I was having warranty issues with the Ford backed tune.

I've got 4k miles into the Mk7 GTI Sport w/PP. It's a perfect one car solution for a grown up. Drives insanely well as a highway cruiser and gets me 32mpg on the commute. Throw it in sport mode and it becomes incredibly well composed on the back roads. Pulls well, rotates a bit, and just feels on point. It's geared a little too tall for my liking and needs better tires, but as I said to [user not found] a few weeks ago... I should have bought one instead of the FoST a few years back.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I ended up getting a MK7 for under $26k OTD, with 0% financing too. MSRP was almost $30.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm

I ended up getting a MK7 for under $26k OTD, with 0% financing too. MSRP was almost $30.
Those STs are sub 20k OTD... likely shittier spec but still that's a huge price gap.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm

There may be, but if I had my choice I'd be dailying my FR-S again from a driving dynamics standpoint. Best sub $30k driver's car on the market when driven at it's limit. Sucks as a daily due to the torque dip. Otherwise is a poor man's Cayman when driven in the higher RPM range.

But in the real world, it's different.

I had a pre-facelift FoST ST1 and bought a set of Recaro's to put in it. Fantastic seats. The car was a fucking riot, especially with the Ford Racing tune. Think FWD mustang/muscle car, basically - 300hp and 360tq. Spun 3rd with summer tires. Torque steered like a bitch. Lift off oversteer to the border of being too rotatey - until I put the Mountune Clubsport cup kit suspension on it and it dialed it back a bit. The car was fun as hell. Sold it because it started eating oil and I was having warranty issues with the Ford backed tune.

I've got 4k miles into the Mk7 GTI Sport w/PP. It's a perfect one car solution for a grown up. Drives insanely well as a highway cruiser and gets me 32mpg on the commute. Throw it in sport mode and it becomes incredibly well composed on the back roads. Pulls well, rotates a bit, and just feels on point. It's geared a little too tall for my liking and needs better tires, but as I said to [user not found] a few weeks ago... I should have bought one instead of the FoST a few years back.
Glad you're enjoying the GTI dude. It's a nice package overall. :wub:
troyguitar

Anyone have experience with wheel refinishing? Mine have no damage but I'm wondering what to expect it to cost to have them repainted.

I'm thinking about having my front wheels repainted in silver to at least kinda sorta match the rears instead of spending $2000 on fucking forged :ramz: - which only come in bronze and black anyway and look dumb on a silver car. I think that doing that plus cleaning up the headlights will make the car look "good enough" to just roll on the autox wheels+tires NFG all summer. Unfortunately the front wheels only exist in black and gunmetal from the factory.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm Anyone have experience with wheel refinishing? Mine have no damage but I'm wondering what to expect it to cost to have them repainted.

I'm thinking about having my front wheels repainted in silver to at least kinda sorta match the rears instead of spending $2000 on fucking forged :ramz: - which only come in bronze and black anyway and look dumb on a silver car. I think that doing that plus cleaning up the headlights will make the car look "good enough" to just roll on the autox wheels+tires NFG all summer. Unfortunately the front wheels only exist in black and gunmetal from the factory.

Around these parts it's $90/ram to fix damage, regardless of how many curbings. I don't know about painting.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Those STs are sub 20k OTD... likely shittier spec but still that's a huge price gap.
Just looked at the pricing in the autotrader link. They're all Virginia dealers... so it includes all cash rebates (including ones you're not eligible for) plus don't include freight/delivery charge, or a typical 400-800 "processing" fee. Real pricing on those is in the $20-21+ tax range - and that's about what I paid for my FoST back a few years ago... VA dealers are weird with that and all their games.

The difference between the FoST and the GTI is huge, though... especially an ST1 like those. It really feels like you're just sitting in a quick $14k Focus. The GTI is a much, much nicer place to be for several hours. It feels better, looks nicer, sounds quieter... even the mexican built ones feel very German. There's a reason it's not a Golf GTI anymore, I think. Besides, mine definitely cost a little more because of the performance pack, xenon package, infotainment... It's realistically a $4-5k price swing to an upgraded GTI but it's much more car.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Just looked at the pricing in the autotrader link. They're all Virginia dealers... so it includes all cash rebates (including ones you're not eligible for) plus don't include freight/delivery charge, or a typical 400-800 "processing" fee. Real pricing on those is in the $20-21+ tax range - and that's about what I paid for my FoST back a few years ago... VA dealers are weird with that and all their games.

The difference between the FoST and the GTI is huge, though... especially an ST1 like those. It really feels like you're just sitting in a quick $14k Focus. The GTI is a much, much nicer place to be for several hours. It feels better, looks nicer, sounds quieter... even the mexican built ones feel very German. There's a reason it's not a Golf GTI anymore, I think. Besides, mine definitely cost a little more because of the performance pack, xenon package, infotainment... It's realistically a $4-5k price swing to an upgraded GTI but it's much more car.
...except for the fact that the recarbros are still better than any seat ever put in any VW ever made.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:15 pm

...except for the fact that the recarbros are still better than any seat ever put in any VW ever made.
The Recaros aren’t in the base ST1 doe, the ST2 is impossible to find/spec and the ST3 comes with nav, audio, roof, and all the options and clears $30k.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 pm

The Recaros aren’t in the base ST1 doe, the ST2 is impossible to find/spec and the ST3 comes with nav, audio, roof, and all the options and clears $30k.
:thanksobama:

Sounds like the new Mustang where you can't get recarbros without the premium pkg. :disappoint:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Performance VW's through the years have had seats made by Recaro.
The Scirocco R is one example.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vo ... o/interior
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

wap wrote:

Performance VW's through the years have had seats made by Recaro.
The Scirocco R is one example.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vo ... o/interior
Yeah they used to have awesome cloth recarbros, but not in the past decade or so in murica.

Either way :doe: I'm kind of :butwhy: :whocares: :nope: on any FWD car anymore. Give me RWD or :gtfo: