Amir's STi - Raw Dog Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

KiaGiver wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:20 pm I gotta say, seeing WRX's with the STi wing is pretty :disappoint: like, why fake the funk? just rock what you got.
It's just as pointless on that car ? :triggered:
This way ppl think it's fast
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:49 am
KiaGiver wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:20 pm I gotta say, seeing WRX's with the STi wing is pretty :disappoint: like, why fake the funk? just rock what you got.
WRX and STI are basically even speed wise :triggered:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm

I could never figure that part out... a lot of mags had the STI's in the 13s whereas the WRX was in the mid 14s. Yet the DYNO's have em pretty close. :notsure:
Last edited by max225 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

or some people think it's a ricer lol.

I swear to god, when my uncle had his Evo, he and his wife visited to his mother in law, and asked why didn't you tell me you had money issues (she knows he's an enthusiast). He also got compliments only from ricers driving these (below) :lol: he :plac: because of that, and it was his dream car
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Um wtf is that thing... A weird saab 900? A seat?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:09 pm Um wtf is that thing... A weird saab 900? A seat?
it's a knock off fiat for the turkish and some middle eastern market, branded Tofas (model Sahin, "luxury" model Dogan). It has the same stigma as the civic ricers. Only good thing about that car, it is RWD, and still rocks a carburator for a 90's car :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofa%C5%9F_%C5%9Eahin

edit: apperently it has macpherson front suspension on front, and live axle for rear (as assumed), troy might probably like this.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Tofa mker do you speak it ?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm Tofa mker do you speak it ?
pronounced Toe-faush.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm Tofa mker do you speak it ?
pronounced Toe-faush.
:disgust:
:lol:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm

I could never figure that part out... a lot of mags had the STI's in the 13s whereas the WRX was in the mid 14s. Yet the DYNO's have em pretty close. :notsure:
STI is faster on track due to the suspension and diffs and stuff. In real world driving, the WRX has more torque below 4k where most driving is done anyway. STI pulls harder up top. Over the 0-60 run, it doesn't make much difference.
max225

I was talking 1/4 mile doe...
man the wrx felt slow, for a sports car I doubt the sti is same
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:15 pm I was talking 1/4 mile doe...
man the wrx felt slow, for a sports car I doubt the sti is same
Its a bit faster not mind blowing though. It sounds better, revs faster, feels crazier. It's really just the feeling it gives you that makes it more exciting.
max225

Makes cents
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

FWIW, C&D got 13.7 @101 for the WRX vs 13.3 @ 105 from the STi. 5.0 vs 4.8 0-60...not much difference there. Interestingly, the STi was only 5 seconds faster than the WRX around VIR, 3:10.5 vs 3:15.5.

Still, the feels. :stig:
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 pm FWIW, C&D got 13.7 @101 for the WRX vs 13.3 @ 105 from the STi. 5.0 vs 4.8 0-60...not much difference there. Interestingly, the STi was only 5 seconds faster than the WRX around VIR, 3:10.5 vs 3:15.5.

5 seconds around a track is yuge. Also 4mph at the trap is yuge as well. 1mph=10hp. That suggests 40hp more as advertised.

0-60 is irrelevant on these cars since it requires anus/car shattering launches that are rarely if ever done in the real world.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:12 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 pm FWIW, C&D got 13.7 @101 for the WRX vs 13.3 @ 105 from the STi. 5.0 vs 4.8 0-60...not much difference there. Interestingly, the STi was only 5 seconds faster than the WRX around VIR, 3:10.5 vs 3:15.5.

5 seconds around a track is yuge. Also 4mph at the trap is yuge as well. 1mph=10hp. That suggests 40hp more as advertised.

0-60 is irrelevant on these cars since it requires anus/car shattering launches that are rarely if ever done in the real world.
FWIW these cars launch pretty hard regardless of how you actually do it. There is zero loss of traction, they just squat and go.

I don't regret my decision one bit. I would gladly pay the up charge again to get the STI, just for the intake and exhaust noises, steering feel, super firm brakes, and an engine that just felt better sorted to me. I found the FA20 to be lumpy in its delivery, lethargic off boost, and went :flaccid: at the top of the rev range. The EJ doesn't have much there at low RPM either but it's so consistent when you're just driving around town, and then pulls really hard to redline above 4 grand all while making :lolol: noises like its going to take off.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:12 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:12 pm

FWIW these cars launch pretty hard regardless of how you actually do it. There is zero loss of traction, they just squat and go.

I don't regret my decision one bit. I would gladly pay the up charge again to get the STI, just for the intake and exhaust noises, steering feel, super firm brakes, and an engine that just felt better sorted to me. I found the FA20 to be lumpy in its delivery, lethargic off boost, and went :flaccid: at the top of the rev range. The EJ doesn't have much there at low RPM either but it's so consistent when you're just driving around town, and then pulls really hard to redline above 4 grand all while making :lolol: noises like its going to take off.
Yep, they do launch hard. My point was more around not destroying the driveline/clutch to match the magazine figures. :manuel: life.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:5 seconds around a track is yuge. Also 4mph at the trap is yuge as well. 1mph=10hp. That suggests 40hp more as advertised.

Eh, 5 seconds on a 3+ minute lap isn't thaaaat huge. Comes out to ~2.5% faster.

What I found most interesting was that on C&Ds long-term WRX the trap slowed from 101 to 99 over the span of those 40,000 miles. Wouldn't be shocked if the FA20 experiences carbon buildup just like the VW motors do.

:nope:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:12 pm 5 seconds around a track is yuge. Also 4mph at the trap is yuge as well. 1mph=10hp. That suggests 40hp more as advertised.

At least in an sti those launches have less chance of grenadine your drivetrain.

In my clubwrx haydays, I couldn't tell you how many noobs came in complaining about fried clutches and whatnot in wrx's, "I only launched it hard like 4 or 5 times!"

That's all it takes.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:03 am
Johnny_P wrote:

At least in an sti those launches have less chance of grenadine your drivetrain.

In my clubwrx haydays, I couldn't tell you how many noobs came in complaining about fried clutches and whatnot in wrx's, "I only launched it hard like 4 or 5 times!"

That's all it takes.

My WRX was the only car I've ever taken to the drag strip. Lots of clutch slip to not blow out the drivetrain, and found out that wasn't really my thing. Maybe if I had a faster car it would be more fun, but there's more waiting around than at autocross.
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

No Ragerts on my end. I would have spent all the savings to make my WRX into an STi had I gone that route. I know me all too well.
I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:03 am
Johnny_P wrote:

That's all it takes.

I wonder if :plac: is one of those, recently checked his channel, on his 750th episode :mindblown:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am
coogles wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am

Eh, 5 seconds on a 3+ minute lap isn't thaaaat huge. Comes out to ~2.5% faster.

What I found most interesting was that on C&Ds long-term WRX the trap slowed from 101 to 99 over the span of those 40,000 miles. Wouldn't be shocked if the FA20 experiences carbon buildup just like the VW motors do.

:nope:
FA20 absolutely has carbon buildup issues.
And it's worse than the FSI motors. Serious buildup as low as 15k miles.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am And it's worse than the FSI motors. Serious buildup as low as 15k miles.
:disgust: :gag:

I'm keeping my STi forever.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am

FA20 absolutely has carbon buildup issues.
And it's worse than the FSI motors. Serious buildup as low as 15k miles.
One of the reasons I didn't pull the mk6 R plunge that I almost got before I got the Mexican Yaris.