Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Truthfully I just need rent a track for two days, fly Troy out, put him up in a tent with Little Caesars and whiskey, and have him scream at me from the passenger seat for 48 hours
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote:Truthfully I just need rent a track for two days, fly Troy out, put him up in a tent with Little Caesars and whiskey, and have him scream at me from the passenger seat for 48 hours
I would attend this debauchery.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm :jimp:
That GS sounds 5/7
For a DD its a little much but you know all about that.
Yeah its more like bi-weekly then daily imo
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 pm I have not had a single mechanical issue with the Corvette, Tahoe or BMW for 12 months. Which makes sense two are practically new. Should hustle the GS up to the central coast for a few pics on the PCH.
:impressive: the gs is up there in age though... i had 2 issues in my 335i before it hit 30k
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 pm Moving to my own thread.

I always thought this version of Malibu was decent enough. Anyone know about reliablity?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... lCode1=MAL
My brother owns one of these. He doesn't really take good care of his cars and got it used at a pretty :scrooge: price I think, and it's held up well. I think the only things he's done are brakes once and oil changes. He's owned it for about three years.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 pm Truthfully I just need rent a track for two days, fly Troy out, put him up in a tent with Little Caesars and whiskey, and have him scream at me from the passenger seat for 48 hours
Well I wonder if he wrapped his Dorito around a tree and caught fire due flipping the propane stove heating a $5 pizza inside his car cuz he gonnne
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 pm Truthfully I just need rent a track for two days, fly Troy out, put him up in a tent with Little Caesars and whiskey, and have him scream at me from the passenger seat for 48 hours
That would certainly impress a lot of random dudes on the internet.

A more reasonable alternative is just go do a track day wherever is closest to you. I tracked the C5 a couple of weeks ago and it was by far the most fun you're going to have with a Corvette (well the Tail of the Dragon high speed caravan thing is equal but much less safe and more illegal). It was $350, which is admittedly not cheap, but that included an instructor who was pretty solid, and I was on the track driving hard for two hours. All of this was in one Saturday, left the house at 5:30 AM, got back to Charlotte in time to get drunk and crush chicken wings with my friends. It was safe for both my car and for me. I did absolutely nothing to prepare, just drove to the track, went :balls: deep, then drove home. 5/7 :doit: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 pm
Well I wonder if he wrapped his Dorito around a tree and caught fire due flipping the propane stove heating a $5 pizza inside his car cuz he gonnne
:disappoint:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Do you have an itch to drive the 440i? I mean I constantly drove all of the womenz cars as they would take the passenger seat even in their own vehicles.

Any more updates on the GS? Any urge to trackday bro? Explore the limits of the car or is it just a hooters cruiser? pics in cool locations would be interesting too. Maybe it's me... but I was always super curious about both of those cars and kept asking for updates ... etc.
I drove the 440i to Paso Robles and back. It is a highway weapon. 2 lane passing @ 60 mph always led to a terminal speed of over 105 mph pulling back into the right lane. If it was my car I would throw the BMW sound and power package on it and look into some suspension and wheel mods. As you indicated at great length, about the 335i, it's a nice car, it's got enough power, but razor sharp handling? Nah. Things will improve a bit when the original tarz wear out, they are summer tires but they are these Goodyear european touring tires and they suck.

TBH, it's hard to drive the GS anywhere NEAR its limits without looking like a total asshat/candidate for arrest. Like I said, I need to take some personal time off, the gf is not into the high g thing. With Michelin PSS it's a 1 g car, and YES, I need to take some fucking driving lessons. I'm not sure what the best way to go there is. Also I should put a ZR1 sway on the front. That's supposed to be an easy job.

The GS is simply NOT STEALTHY to drive around town. Even with the exhaust set to "NO BRO" the flaps open at 3500 rpm and there you are, a nearly 50 year old man announcing yourself to everyone. It's a highway/track car and I haven't had the time on the weekends.
440i sounds like an awesome car man. I too would do an exhaust and tires, but if it's her car and she likes it the way it is then whatever.
Still kicking myself for not trying the 235i in bro mode.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:51 pm

A more reasonable alternative is just go do a track day wherever is closest to you. I tracked the C5 a couple of weeks ago and it was by far the most fun you're going to have with a Corvette (well the Tail of the Dragon high speed caravan thing is equal but much less safe and more illegal). It was $350, which is admittedly not cheap, but that included an instructor who was pretty solid, and I was on the track driving hard for two hours. All of this was in one Saturday, left the house at 5:30 AM, got back to Charlotte in time to get drunk and crush chicken wings with my friends. It was safe for both my car and for me. I did absolutely nothing to prepare, just drove to the track, went :balls: deep, then drove home. 5/7 :doit: .
Especially for Desert. Chuckwalla raceway is maybe an hour away from him...tops and provides great :lolol: in a car like the GS.

I still don't hate driving my car on the street. Sure, I only get straight-line :lolol: but that's still plenty of fun for on-ramps, etc. Gears made revving and speed much more attainable without breaking the law immediately. Plus, I like knowing that I can :stig: with the best of them at the racetrack...which I almost never do because there's no good ones around me. :|

SE Meatchicken blows for car guys unless you enjoy cruising your 60's muscle car down Woodward to Hooters and home on Wednesday night wing night.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 am

Especially for Desert. Chuckwalla raceway is maybe an hour away from him...tops and provides great :lolol: in a car like the GS.

I still don't hate driving my car on the street. Sure, I only get straight-line :lolol: but that's still plenty of fun for on-ramps, etc. Gears made revving and speed much more attainable without breaking the law immediately. Plus, I like knowing that I can :stig: with the best of them at the racetrack...which I almost never do because there's no good ones around me. :|

SE Meatchicken blows for car guys unless you enjoy cruising your 60's muscle car down Woodward to Hooters and home on Wednesday night wing night.
Even closer.

http://thethermalclub.com/

Only $1200/month! Plus I can build a luxury villa right on the track! The LOL thing about this is here is this raceway/rich man's playground smack dab in the middle of one of the poorest areas of the desert....Thermal is otherwise occupied by poverty level agricultural workers.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:lolol: :notbad:
In4 :mahtroy: lessons
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Even closer.

Only $1200/month! Plus I can build a luxury villa right on the track! The LOL thing about this is here is this raceway/rich man's playground smack dab in the middle of one of the poorest areas of the desert....Thermal is otherwise occupied by poverty level agricultural workers.
I was trying to be realistic, but if you :waxer: now then...can I come to your luxury racetrack villa? I'll drive Camdalf out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Even closer.

I was trying to be realistic, but if you :waxer: now then...can I come to your luxury racetrack villa? I'll drive Camdalf out.
There was an article on it on the front page of the local rag. It certainly beats golf as a rich man's hobby.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I agree that they're fun on the street. The scrape is real and really awful :doe: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Even closer.

:bruh:

You don't have to go all :fullretard: and throw down two Poonmobile payments a month for a membershit you likely don't have time for. Just go somewhere and try out a day with an instructor for a few hundo. 25 meals at Freddy's or an epic day in the almost Ultimate Mullet Tub Machine.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:47 am

I agree that they're fun on the street. The scrape is real and really awful :doe: .
I've learned how to avoid most scraping incidents. And where I can't, I just :aintcare:

The :derp: looks from people just makes me :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 am

Even closer.

:bruh:

You don't have to go all :fullretard: and throw down two Poonmobile payments a month for a membershit you likely don't have time for. Just go somewhere and try out a day with an instructor for a few hundo. 25 meals at Freddy's or an epic day in the almost Ultimate Mullet Tub Machine.
Understood dude it was just interesting that there was a front page article on this place the same day local raceways were being discussed. I will never be private raceway rich.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth

Always loved these. Pretty sure the 5-banger is pretty stout as well, but there's general Euro car tax on repairs I suspect.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I'm a fan, and briefly considered one prior to buying my :turboyaris: , but a few things turned me off, one of which is the small hatch opening.

Still think they're cool, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Love those little things.

Do you have a local Indy that could service it?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 pm
Love those little things.

Do you have a local Indy that could service it?
https://www.yelp.com/biz/doctor-v-cathedral-city

1.5 miles away.
max225

I am going to sound off I am going off on these... but hear me out. Back in the day when I was banging white chicks, I dated a nurse that had this bad boy fully loaded. She paid around 40k for it... and I prob spent around 5-10k driving it.

Interior is nice
exterior is nice
engine is very torquey
It handles nicely

I drove both the 6 speed that a later friend had and :manuel: manuel is not the way to go. The clutch and trans are very mediocre. Also the engine is too powerful for FWD, it has a bit of torque steer and will roast the tires.

Here is the shit part, the reliability is lackluster, my buddys dad has one that he bought new, and the paint is gone, it also has the occasional 2k trip to the "mechanic" with various electrical issues/random ass sensors etc.

The engine compartment is also incredibly tight because there are 5 cylinders side by side and a turbo sitting in a tiny hatch. Not super DIY friendly, even filter changes were quite annoying...

It is essentially a swedish GTI that does nothing better than a gti.
It has less rear room, it has worse interior quality, and worse reliability, mpg, and no DSG, also there is far less support for this thing as the engine is more rare etc.

I'd pass.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Back to the Elantra.