4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:36 am
4zilch wrote:
:dat:

Imageol:

I mean the FiST fits my functionality needs, and it’s fun to drive. There’s not a lot of cars that check both boxes without encroaching on the motorcycle budget.
In my situation, the .:R is nearly perfect. The price is :ludacris: but VW gave me 22k for a car valued at 12k and a bunch of money off msrp for an option out spec. The other Achilles is the sound, which can likely be fixed with a valved miltek.

So yeah, not perfect but dang... :plac: is dead to me right now.
:word:

I get the occasional tire kicking urge - currently contemplating an ND.

Probably doesn’t make sense for a FiST replacement and outside of a Pooper and GTI, I’m not sure what else is even in the ballpark. I’m trying to avoid owning multiple 4-wheeled vehicles (again).
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

4zilch wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:36 am In my situation, the .:R is nearly perfect. The price is :ludacris: but VW gave me 22k for a car valued at 12k and a bunch of money off msrp for an option out spec. The other Achilles is the sound, which can likely be fixed with a valved miltek.

So yeah, not perfect but dang... :plac: is dead to me right now.

Probably doesn’t make sense for a FiST replacement and outside of a Pooper and GTI, I’m not sure what else is even in the ballpark. I’m trying to avoid owning multiple 4-wheeled vehicles (again).
I did the dd + C6 and it works really well for me so far. They are such different cars, saying that though, if I could get myself on a sportbike again I'd probably have done that instead.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 am
4zilch wrote:

I did the dd + C6 and it works really well for me so far. They are such different cars, saying that though, if I could get myself on a sportbike again I'd probably have done that instead.

If I didn't have motorcycle(s) I could definitely justify 2 cars or :truk: + car. At one point, I had a WRX + :doge: Cummins + 2 bikes (3 bikes for a brief period). Adding up plates an insurance on all of those things got pretty :ludacris: and I decided to downsize. Hence the current FiST jack-of-all-trades model.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

4zilch wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 am I did the dd + C6 and it works really well for me so far. They are such different cars, saying that though, if I could get myself on a sportbike again I'd probably have done that instead.

If I didn't have motorcycle(s) I could definitely justify 2 cars or :truk: + car. At one point, I had a WRX + :doge: Cummins + 2 bikes (3 bikes for a brief period). Adding up plates an insurance on all of those things got pretty :ludacris: and I decided to downsize. Hence the current FiST jack-of-all-trades model.
Tis a great car 4 shizzle.. i :wub: the hatch format a lot and the Image is awesome as a :doit: solution due to its sporty nature and affordability.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Any updates on the :jeep: ? VIN ?
max225

Anyone know what happened with :waxer: ?!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Which car did the forum go "ham" on?
Waxer went balls out on his M235i with LSD and tune and shit and offed it in a year.
Detroit is :eeyore: with his 442 pavement slaying horsepower brubstick'd C5
Troy with his C5 and then Mister Two
Fax with his fancy Miata that he offed for a minivan
Coogles doesn't seem to like his STI

About the only ones that seem totally :fuckyeah: with their purchases are Griff and 4zilch.
Old post, but whatever. I'm pretty :fuckyeah: about the STi now, actually, I've been having a ball with it. I think I was annoyed with how fast it tanked in value, but the way I look at it now is that I'm driving a $42k car for $141/mo since pretty much 100% of equity I put into it is gone already. :aintcare:

The fuel economy is still annoying, but I drive so little it really doesn't matter. More than Johnny, but still only about to roll over 7,500 miles in 11 months. The car is a riot, and now that I'm over the financial aspect I'm just left to enjoy the thing. It's great.

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

coogles wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
That's the part that :mindblown: me. I took 3 years to buy a car because I couldn't find one that I loved and was willing to put my hard earned money on. Until my blue rally bromobile. :iono: Maybe the honeymoon phase is just super short with some people?
Johnny_P wrote:
Waxer went balls out on his M235i with LSD and tune and shit and offed it in a year.
Detroit is :eeyore: with his 442 pavement slaying horsepower brubstick'd C5
Troy with his C5 and then Mister Two
Fax with his fancy Miata that he offed for a minivan
Coogles doesn't seem to like his STI

About the only ones that seem totally :fuckyeah: with their purchases are Griff and 4zilch.
Old post, but whatever. I'm pretty :fuckyeah: about the STi now, actually, I've been having a ball with it. I think I was annoyed with how fast it tanked in value, but the way I look at it now is that I'm driving a $42k car for $141/mo since pretty much 100% of equity I put into it is gone already. :aintcare:

The fuel economy is still annoying, but I drive so little it really doesn't matter. More than Johnny, but still only about to roll over 7,500 miles in 11 months. The car is a riot, and now that I'm over the financial aspect I'm just left to enjoy the thing. It's great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
:like: Thats great to hear! I have days where I think I should have kept it longer. The STI is great. Stable at high speed, superb brakes, nice sounds and is 'on' all the time. Its a drivers car. Keep enjoying it. Those who dont get it or 'know' never will anyway. It has an 'edge' that is hard to describe.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm Anyone know what happened with :waxer: ?!
:sad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

So, like clockwork today after bringing up the oil consumption issue on the 1LE in the GorfR thread........ I get in the car this afternoon to go home and the display pops up a warning about low engine oil.

Last week I checked the dipstick and it was still on the range of the dipstick. This one literally has a 1 quart range, so you're either on or off the scale. I got home and let the car cool down and of course, no reading on the dipstick, so it is at least 1 quart low.

I added one quart and let it settle while doing some stuff in the garage. Checked the level and still not on the stick. Added another quart and let it sit. Checked the level and still not on the stick. I added 1/2 quart and let it sit. Checked it and it was just touching the bottom of the dipstick. Added another 1/2 quart and after waiting it is reading full.

That's 3 quarts low in 4,800 miles. The oil life meter in the car is still reading 30% left.

I have a bad feeling about this and rather than deal with it I think I need to start researching replacements. I don't want to deal with any GM BS about acceptable levels of consumption, etc. My LS1 and LS3 never burned oil. My dry sump LT1 in the Z51 never burned any oil and my LT4 doesn't either. They will barf some into the intake if you're too full, but no burning/disappearing oil.

I hate looking for replacement cars, the market is very slim on stuff I actually like.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote:So, like clockwork today after bringing up the oil consumption issue on the 1LE in the GorfR thread........ I get in the car this afternoon to go home and the display pops up a warning about low engine oil.

Last week I checked the dipstick and it was still on the range of the dipstick. This one literally has a 1 quart range, so you're either on or off the scale. I got home and let the car cool down and of course, no reading on the dipstick, so it is at least 1 quart low.

I added one quart and let it settle while doing some stuff in the garage. Checked the level and still not on the stick. Added another quart and let it sit. Checked the level and still not on the stick. I added 1/2 quart and let it sit. Checked it and it was just touching the bottom of the dipstick. Added another 1/2 quart and after waiting it is reading full.

That's 3 quarts low in 4,800 miles. The oil life meter in the car is still reading 30% left.

I have a bad feeling about this and rather than deal with it I think I need to start researching replacements. I don't want to deal with any GM BS about acceptable levels of consumption, etc. My LS1 and LS3 never burned oil. My dry sump LT1 in the Z51 never burned any oil and my LT4 doesn't either. They will barf some into the intake if you're too full, but no burning/disappearing oil.

I hate looking for replacement cars, the market is very slim on stuff I actually like.
GoRf or S3/RS3!

But man that sucks. Hopefully you get it figured out. Long term reviews in the auto rags mentioned consumption in the Camaro but I don't remember ever reading about it in other LT1 cars. Not sure how different the Camaro LT1 is versus the one in the Vette aside from wet/dry sump.

razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:So, like clockwork today after bringing up the oil consumption issue on the 1LE in the GorfR thread........ I get in the car this afternoon to go home and the display pops up a warning about low engine oil.

GoRf or S3/RS3!

But man that sucks. Hopefully you get it figured out. Long term reviews in the auto rags mentioned consumption in the Camaro but I don't remember ever reading about it in other LT1 cars. Not sure how different the Camaro LT1 is versus the one in the Vette aside from wet/dry sump.

RS3 is a helluva daily driver.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Don't know if I can do another VW product.
razr390

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 pm Don't know if I can do another VW product.
Audi RS3 is 5/7 though. Go test drive one.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Seriously considering keeping the JKU for the wife and taking the JLU for myself.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm So, like clockwork today after bringing up the oil consumption issue on the 1LE in the GorfR thread........ I get in the car this afternoon to go home and the display pops up a warning about low engine oil.

Do you actually drive the camaro ? It’s not the fast car since you got the z06, and it it’s not the comfortable car since you’re about to have a rubicunt

I say just :nuke: it and call it good riddance you’re about to get another :jeep:

The camaro doesn’t really make sense imo.

Given the current market I say ride the wave and actually get something cool, a McLaren 570 seems like a good choice.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm So, like clockwork today after bringing up the oil consumption issue on the 1LE in the GorfR thread........ I get in the car this afternoon to go home and the display pops up a warning about low engine oil.

Do you actually drive the camaro ? It’s not the fast car since you got the z06, and it it’s not the comfortable car since you’re about to have a rubicunt

I say just :nuke: it and call it good riddance you’re about to get another :jeep:

Given the current market I say ride the wave and actually get something cool, a McLaren 570 seems like a good choice.
I put 14k miles on the 1LE in the last 12 months, so yea, I drive it. It is my daily right now... during the summer I switch to the Z06.

Yeah, I don't know. I was thinking options like this, Sell/Trade the 1LE and:

1. Make the JLU mine and leave the wife with the JKU, keep Z06.
2. Buy ZL1, Keep Z06
3. Sell Z06 & 1LE and buy something like a 570 or 911 TurBro S and have one car for 30k+ miles a year and deal with road rash.
4. Find something else and keep the Z06

Problem I have with #3 is putting the miles on one car. If I spent $200k or more on a car the wife would likely not be happy even if I bought a Civic as a second car. Also, the new 911 refresh is coming, so now is not really the best time to buy one.

I really want my daily to be fun, and the criteria I use is to make sure it has power and handling so I don't just hate it and it gives me a little extra motivation to go to work at the ungodly time that I get up.
razr390

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:32 am

I put 14k miles on the 1LE in the last 12 months, so yea, I drive it. It is my daily right now... during the summer I switch to the Z06.

2. Buy ZL1, Keep Z06
3. Sell Z06 & 1LE and buy something like a 570 or 911 TurBro S and have one car for 30k+ miles a year and deal with road rash.

Problem I have with #3 is putting the miles on one car. If I spent $200k or more on a car the wife would likely not be happy even if I bought a Civic as a second car. Also, the new 911 refresh is coming, so now is not really the best time to buy one.

I really want my daily to be fun, and the criteria I use is to make sure it has power and handling so I don't just hate it and it gives me a little extra motivation to go to work at the ungodly time that I get up.
Test drive an RS3 for your daily. It is a 5/7 daily car.
max225

2. Buy ZL1, Keep Z06

Well it depends on what you want, considering the rest of your cars the camaro is just boring. So it has to go.
The problem with the 570 or 911 becomes that it makes the zr1 obsolete. But maybe that’s not a bad thing either ?

I do think you should venture out of the gm sphere and try out some other vehicles. There also some really fun Audi products, and mb products.
E63s is a fking monster and probably the best DD one can wish for.
Audi RS5 is a good option also... still DD worthy but a lot of fun...

Dare I say an M3? It is worlds different from the 235 you had...

Just got to narrow down on how you want to use the vehicle
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:46 am

2. Buy ZL1, Keep Z06

Test drive an RS3 for your daily. It is a 5/7 daily car.
Dunno man, can you tell me why I would spend ~$70k on an RS3 when the Golf R is only $40k, other than Quattro ? Seems like the RS5 is a better car for only a bit more money if you want to buy a VW/Audi and don't want a Golf.

Am I missing something obvious?
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:57 am

You seem to have a good relationship with your Chebby dealer, doe?

Why not give them a fair shot at taking care of the issue?
Camaro 1LE :crang: shaft?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:52 am

2. Buy ZL1, Keep Z06

Well it depends on what you want, considering the rest of your cars the camaro is just boring. So it has to go.
The problem with the 570 or 911 becomes that it makes the zr1 obsolete. But maybe that’s not a bad thing either ?

I do think you should venture out of the gm sphere and try out some other vehicles. There also some really fun Audi products, and mb products.
E63s is a fking monster and probably the best DD one can wish for.
Audi RS5 is a good option also... still DD worthy but a lot of fun...

Dare I say an M3? It is worlds different from the 235 you had...

Just got to narrow down on how you want to use the vehicle
Agreed. Thinking about the RS5 and BMWs still.... but the 1LE beats the shit out of the M4 in performance.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Well, others report oil burning, so I am speculating that GM isn't going to do much about this, and my one talk with my service guy kinda confirmed that without saying as much....

I don't want a car I have to feed oil every week or two between changes, which is why I am not sold on the BMWs either, my m235i ate oil in it's early life.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Well, others report oil burning, so I am speculating that GM isn't going to do much about this, and my one talk with my service guy kinda confirmed that without saying as much....

I don't want a car I have to feed oil every week or two between changes, which is why I am not sold on the BMWs either, my m235i ate oil in it's early life.
It might take a while for GM to actually acknowledge the problem. Didn't Ford just go through this with the head gaskets on the RS or something?
I remember reading about it from a couple of autocross guys mentioning on facebook or something. Maybe I read it in a Jalopnik article or something.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:31 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:05 pm

:flaccid:

That sucks.

You followed the official break in procedure? More a rhetorical question since you're :waxer: but I see there is one...
Mostly, yes... The LS/LT motors are pretty simple and bullet-proof, but this is my first wet-sump LT1 and it is the only one I have heard having issues.