The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 am

I-76 is a winding noddle of failure. Tight turns, pathetic shoulder, super short onramps, etc. It had to be built that way because most of the land was taken by the time the national highway system was conceived. It's a very different case out west where you generally have longer sweeping turns, banked roads, emergency lanes, long onramps for acceleration, etc. Lower speed limits are appropriate up here on most roads.
Don't forget its awesome flooding feature. Also its always a parking lot so they could have set the speed limit to 20 and it still would be appropriate
Pretty much
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 am

Don't forget its awesome flooding feature. Also its always a parking lot so they could have set the speed limit to 20 and it still would be appropriate
Pretty much
http://6abc.com/traffic/man-arrested-fo ... y/2340664/

case and point
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am

Pretty much

case and point
That takes a special kind of retard to pull off. LEFT lane, in the fucking lane, with no helmet and headphones in and a beat ass single speed. Wow. The poor/immigrant population here are full retards when it comes to bicycle use.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:22 am
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:12 am

case and point
That takes a special kind of retard to pull off. LEFT lane, in the fucking lane, with no helmet and headphones in and a beat ass single speed. Wow. The poor/immigrant population here are full retards when it comes to bicycle use.
:disgust: NO BAN NO WALL
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Did a dumb thing and decided to test drive an APR stage 1 ECU/TCU MK7 Golf R. Hory sheeeet. The stock GoRf I drove felt nothing like this. In stock tuning the DSG felt pretty laggy in comparison and IMO took away from the driving experience, but as quick and snappy as this one felt, I'd have a hard time choosing the :manuel:. The gears are so short that it's hard to imagine a tuned manual Golf R being all that enjoyable unless you're at very illegal speeds running to the top of 3rd and 4th, but with the DSG you could fly through the gears and it was still super engaging.

I think I made the wrong choice, but eh. It's not stock for stock, but to get 340whp out of a STi takes a shit ton of work and it'll be much more likely to :nuke: the motor than a Stage 1 GoRf would be. '17 GoRfs will be coming off lease when my car is, at least. See what prices look like then and get a chance to make the decision all over again. :facepalm:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

GoRf's are monsters tuned. Stage 1 DSGay's break into the high 3's in 0-60 times.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm GoRf's are monsters tuned. Stage 1 DSGay's break into the high 3's in 0-60 times.

This
Johnny_P

Dude if you hate the car find a way out of it. You seem really unhappy with the STI.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm GoRf's are monsters tuned. Stage 1 DSGay's break into the high 3's in 0-60 times.

:impressive:

Entering super car territory right there.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:Dude if you hate the car find a way out of it. You seem really unhappy with the STI.
I definitely don't hate it. Ironically I had as much fun driving home today as I've had in awhile. Put that bish in Sport# and just had a ball.

I think a big part of the problem is I get so used to driving around in Intelligent where the thing only boosts to 6psi or whatever and I start to think it has no balls. If I wasn't such a baby about the warranty I'd definitely get a protune. The extra 35ish whp would be nice, but mostly it'd be nice to have the full 305hp available with something resembling sane throttle response.

Just need to remember to switch over to Sport every once in awhile and have some fun.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well boys and girls, it's time to start planning my winter wheel and tire setup and I can't quite decide whether I want to go with no-seasons or real winter tars. On one hand, Indy doesn't get many big snowstorms and, if I'm driving on mostly dry roads, I think 90+% of the time I'd enjoy something like Michelin AS3+ tars more. But then, why in hell do you buy a Subie if not to have fun driving like an asshat in the snow? For now the tie-breaker is that AS3+s are cheaper and therefore they win, but what say ye?
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm Well boys and girls, it's time to start planning my winter wheel and tire setup and I can't quite decide whether I want to go with no-seasons or real winter tars. On one hand, Indy doesn't get many big snowstorms and, if I'm driving on mostly dry roads, I think 90+% of the time I'd enjoy something like Michelin AS3+ tars more. But then, why in hell do you buy a Subie if not to have fun driving like an asshat in the snow? For now the tie-breaker is that AS3+s are cheaper and therefore they win, but what say ye?
I have 17" wheels mated to Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires. 235/45 I think. My take? The winter tires help with cornering and braking in snow or on ice ONLY. The AWD helps with accelerating. In Philly we don't get a shit ton of snow. These tires are overkill for this area's typical winter conditions. Here it fluctuates between 50F and 0F, and at 50 these tires are outside their optimal range. But if there's no snow or ice on the ground these tires have less traction than a high performance all season does. Meaning that for 99% of the winter they suuuuuuuuuck but for 1% of the winter when there's actual snow I get more traction. It becomes a snowmobile.

Keep in mind if you get all seasons the car won't exactly brake or corner any better than any other :derp: mobile out there when the white :jizz: falls from the sky despite the AWD system. If you keep that in mind and drive like a sane person and slow down when its snowing, then you're probably going to be fine on all seasons. And you'll get to enjoy the benefits of a grippier tire with more steering feel/response for most other situations, with the added extra benefit of being able to use them year round without concerns of chunking or accelerated wear.

Just my take. I know plenty on this forum would disagree with me. Here's my car on the 17" winter Enkeis.

IDK if I love these wheels. They're alright. The spokes kind of come out a bit from the hub and curve back into the rim so the fattest part of the wheel is the mid point of the spoke. Tirerack's pictures of course don't really show that. :rolleyes: But, they're good enough and the price wasn't horribad.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm Well boys and girls, it's time to start planning my winter wheel and tire setup and I can't quite decide whether I want to go with no-seasons or real winter tars. On one hand, Indy doesn't get many big snowstorms and, if I'm driving on mostly dry roads, I think 90+% of the time I'd enjoy something like Michelin AS3+ tars more. But then, why in hell do you buy a Subie if not to have fun driving like an asshat in the snow? For now the tie-breaker is that AS3+s are cheaper and therefore they win, but what say ye?
Winters as they out perform Blow-Season tars full on in the wet and not just in the snow. Cold roads matter and winters work as a function of temp. Blow Season are nice if you are in Atlanta. The mid west is another story. Dont risk it. Stopping a few meters early can be the diff between getting home or hours on the side of the road with the law and another driver facing an accident. You already know the answer but there it is LOL :)

4min of your time for this basic all season vs winter tire video.

Its a good display of why they are mandatory in Germany. In fact if you cause an accident in winter without them your insurance coverage will not be in force potentially!
Last edited by Davestr on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm I have 17" wheels mated to Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires. 235/45 I think. My take? The winter tires help with cornering and braking in snow or on ice ONLY. The AWD helps with accelerating. In Philly we don't get a shit ton of snow. These tires are overkill for this area's typical winter conditions. Here it fluctuates between 50F and 0F, and at 50 these tires are outside their optimal range. But if there's no snow or ice on the ground these tires have less traction than a high performance all season does. Meaning that for 99% of the winter they suuuuuuuuuck but for 1% of the winter when there's actual snow I get more traction. It becomes a snowmobile.

Keep in mind if you get all seasons the car won't exactly brake or corner any better than any other :derp: mobile out there when the white :jizz: falls from the sky despite the AWD system. If you keep that in mind and drive like a sane person and slow down when its snowing, then you're probably going to be fine on all seasons. And you'll get to enjoy the benefits of a grippier tire with more steering feel/response for most other situations, with the added extra benefit of being able to use them year round without concerns of chunking or accelerated wear.

Just my take. I know plenty on this forum would disagree with me. Here's my car on the 17" winter Enkeis.

IDK if I love these wheels. They're alright. The spokes kind of come out a bit from the hub and curve back into the rim so the fattest part of the wheel is the mid point of the spoke. Tirerack's pictures of course don't really show that. :rolleyes: But, they're good enough and the price wasn't horribad.
That's why I'm leaning toward all-seasons, either the DWS06 or AS3+. I think our winters are pretty comparable, and the vast majority of the time the car will be more fun on high performance all seasons. I drove the GTI through several winters on the first gen DWS and thought it had enough grip to be safe in really every situation. :iono:

I like the Enkeis, though. Gives the car a legit rally look on the 17s with a chunky sidewall.

It's a somewhat :troywax: setup, but I think I'm going with these - https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/a ... loss-black - and stock size tires.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm I have 17" wheels mated to Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires. 235/45 I think. My take? The winter tires help with cornering and braking in snow or on ice ONLY. The AWD helps with accelerating. In Philly we don't get a shit ton of snow. These tires are overkill for this area's typical winter conditions. Here it fluctuates between 50F and 0F, and at 50 these tires are outside their optimal range. But if there's no snow or ice on the ground these tires have less traction than a high performance all season does. Meaning that for 99% of the winter they suuuuuuuuuck but for 1% of the winter when there's actual snow I get more traction. It becomes a snowmobile.

That's why I'm leaning toward all-seasons, either the DWS06 or AS3+. I think our winters are pretty comparable, and the vast majority of the time the car will be more fun on high performance all seasons. I drove the GTI through several winters on the first gen DWS and thought it had enough grip to be safe in really every situation. :iono:

I like the Enkeis, though. Gives the car a legit rally look on the 17s with a chunky sidewall.

It's a somewhat :troywax: setup, but I think I'm going with these - https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/a ... loss-black - and stock size tires.

Just be real about what conditions you drive in. Alaska, Maine, Upstate NY, the Dakotas... yeah you need winters bar none. The rest of the US you can probably get by with all seasons honestly. Just know that you should slow the F down those 3-4 days there's snow on the road.

I do suggest down sizing the wheel for the winter tires though. Lots of rogue potholes form in the winter and spring, and the added sidewall protection is desirable. Plus it's cheaper all around.

For how much bitching you do about this car.... that's one :troywax: af setup lol.

I'd personally suggest something with stiff sidewalls. I notice the Xi3's induce a lot of secondary bobbling motions because the suspension is designed to work with stiff tires. I.e. I'd bypass the marshmallow Contis. But that's all personal preference. FWIW I liked the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2's I had. Didn't get to test them on snow. But excellent traction and steering.
Johnny_P

Dang that looks good.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Winters give u better grip on cold and rain wet roads. Again the temp function. All seasons are not good for winter. Marginal at best.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:31 pm Dang that looks good.
:dat:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:ohdang:

Found someone selling a full set of gold 08-14 forged BBS wheels with Michelin X-ice tires already mounted. 8/32nds all around, TPMS included, $1,300.

Hope he still has them. :popcorn:

Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:00 am :ohdang:

Found someone selling a full set of gold 08-14 forged BBS wheels with Michelin X-ice tires already mounted. 8/32nds all around, TPMS included, $1,300.

Hope he still has them. :popcorn:

:doit:
Johnny_P

Those look good and price is right.

You will need to go to :dillerman: to get the TPMS coded into the car each time you swap wheels as the sensors have different serial numbers or some shit. Keep that in mind. That's the reason that I didn't bother with TPMS on the winter setup I have.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

On his car -

:jizz:

OMG want. Just sent him a PM on NASIOC.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am Those look good and price is right.

You will need to go to :dillerman: to get the TPMS coded into the car each time you swap wheels as the sensors have different serial numbers or some shit. Keep that in mind. That's the reason that I didn't bother with TPMS on the winter setup I have.
I'd heard about that. Indy shop can't do it?
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:07 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am Those look good and price is right.

I'd heard about that. Indy shop can't do it?
No idea.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

He still has them. :fuckyeah:

Gold wheels on white. :boner: