Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:15 am Last night after a long winter storage I drove my C6 home and had the shifter rattle. This time I noticed that I can get it to do the same thing but less prominently with the car in neutral while revving. I wonder if they both have the same issue? A resonance coming from the engine bay and RPM dependant. As much as I like sharing, this problem isn't one I wish on either of us. Image
Shifter rattle? Mine doesn't cause any rattling...it's just a booming resonant harmonic between 2k and 2.5k RPM.

:iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:15 am Last night after a long winter storage I drove my C6 home and had the shifter rattle. This time I noticed that I can get it to do the same thing but less prominently with the car in neutral while revving. I wonder if they both have the same issue? A resonance coming from the engine bay and RPM dependant. As much as I like sharing, this problem isn't one I wish on either of us. Image
Shifter rattle? Mine doesn't cause any rattling...it's just a booming resonant harmonic between 2k and 2.5k RPM.

Mine is a resonance starting at 3k in 3rd/4th and up, but I guess they are different :iono:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Shifter rattle? Mine doesn't cause any rattling...it's just a booming resonant harmonic between 2k and 2.5k RPM.

Mine is a resonance starting at 3k in 3rd/4th and up, but I guess they are different :iono:
Something in the shifter area buzzed in mine at high RPM, I figured it had to do with the aftermarket shifter :doe: and it never really bothered me since the exhaust and wind/road noise covered it up most of the time anyway. :stig:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 am Did u ever change engine mounts? Could it be an out of place or broken shifter assembly/bushing?

:popcorn:
Engine and trans mounts are replaced with Hinson poly mounts. My shifter assembly has been rebuilt.

I did think that maybe it's from running the poly mounts, but I can't find anyone complaining about them in this manner.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:26 pm Mine is a resonance starting at 3k in 3rd/4th and up, but I guess they are different :iono:
Something in the shifter area buzzed in mine at high RPM, I figured it had to do with the aftermarket shifter :doe: and it never really bothered me since the exhaust and wind/road noise covered it up most of the time anyway. :stig:
Buzzing is very different from what I'm experiencing. This is a low rumbling harmonic. Almost feels like exhaust drone, but isn't because my exhaust is stock Z06 Ti's.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:26 pm Mine is a resonance starting at 3k in 3rd/4th and up, but I guess they are different :iono:
This is a very pronounced choppy shudder not a light rattle. I guess I didn't describe it right. Even with an aftermarket exhaust the sound overwhelms the entire cabin.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:32 pm Something in the shifter area buzzed in mine at high RPM, I figured it had to do with the aftermarket shifter :doe: and it never really bothered me since the exhaust and wind/road noise covered it up most of the time anyway. :stig:
Buzzing is very different from what I'm experiencing. This is a low rumbling harmonic. Almost feels like exhaust drone, but isn't because my exhaust is stock Z06 Ti's.
Got it, different i guess.. :)
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm
troyguitar wrote:
This is a very pronounced choppy shudder not a light rattle. I guess I didn't describe it right. Even with an aftermarket exhaust the sound overwhelms the entire cabin.
Oh, interesting...it does sound similar. Is your clutch stock?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, mine was essentially like having a :turboyaris: Soundaktr in the shifter at high rpm. Nothing like either of y'all are describing and probably due to my stupid aftermarket shifter.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 am Did u ever change engine mounts? Could it be an out of place or broken shifter assembly/bushing?

:popcorn:
Engine and trans mounts are replaced with Hinson poly mounts. My shifter assembly has been rebuilt.

I did think that maybe it's from running the poly mounts, but I can't find anyone complaining about them in this manner.
There was some info about stock mounts wearing out but not the case here.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm This is a very pronounced choppy shudder not a light rattle. I guess I didn't describe it right. Even with an aftermarket exhaust the sound overwhelms the entire cabin.
Oh, interesting...it does sound similar. Is your clutch stock?
Yup stock. Just checked the diff and its fine. I might grab some tranny fluid just to cover my basis.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Oh, interesting...it does sound similar. Is your clutch stock?
Yup stock. Just checked the diff and its fine. I might grab some tranny fluid just to cover my basis.
My case is certainly engine side. Clutch in or out, moving or not, it's 100% dependent on RPM.

Worse, if I take the top off or roll the windows down, it almost goes away entirely. Can kind of feel something in the seat I think, but the shifter and steering wheel feel the same as all other RPMs. It's crazy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:46 pm Yup stock. Just checked the diff and its fine. I might grab some tranny fluid just to cover my basis.
My case is certainly engine side. Clutch in or out, moving or not, it's 100% dependent on RPM.

Worse, if I take the top off or roll the windows down, it almost goes away entirely. Can kind of feel something in the seat I think, but the shifter and steering wheel feel the same as all other RPMs. It's crazy.
Like an exhaust leak from the headers maybe?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:52 pm
Detroit wrote: My case is certainly engine side. Clutch in or out, moving or not, it's 100% dependent on RPM.

Like an exhaust leak from the headers maybe?
Man, hopefully it's that simple. I'll check when it's on the lift for the oil change. Seems like it would be louder overall if there was an exhaust leak, but maybe not?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:52 pm Like an exhaust leak from the headers maybe?
Man, hopefully it's that simple. I'll check when it's on the lift for the oil change. Seems like it would be louder overall if there was an exhaust leak, but maybe not?
I don't know man, but since you can hear it stationary maybe dad or infamous can rev the motor while you're down there. That would be sweet!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The last few pages of this thread make me want to do nada to my car except a radiator maybe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Man, hopefully it's that simple. I'll check when it's on the lift for the oil change. Seems like it would be louder overall if there was an exhaust leak, but maybe not?
I don't know man, but since you can hear it stationary maybe dad or infamous can rev the motor while you're down there. That would be sweet!
It mostly goes away when the windows are down, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:09 pm The last few pages of this thread make me want to do nada to my car except a radiator maybe.
It's really tough. The car is such a blast in it's modded form. It runs and drives extraordinarily and is an insane improvement over where it was.

This little crap is what kills the fun, though. I'm really hoping it's not the clutch...and if it is, I can just stick some washers under the pressure plate bolts to balance without removing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:09 pm The last few pages of this thread make me want to do nada to my car except a radiator maybe.
It's really tough. The car is such a blast in it's modded form. It runs and drives extraordinarily and is an insane improvement over where it was.

This little crap is what kills the fun, though. I'm really hoping it's not the clutch...and if it is, I can just stick some washers under the pressure plate bolts to balance without removing.
How do you figure out where to put them?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:26 pm

How do you figure out where to put them?
I followed forumbreh logic and had the clutch match balanced to the old clutch. Assuming it didn't need it and the shop I took it to screwed it up (the only option I can think of), I'll add washers to where they took out weight, and opposite of where they added weight to undo what they did. Since I can't feel any vibration, if the clutch actually is at fault, it shouldn't take much to get it back into shape.

Shouldn't...
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, took the car to my dad's last night to change the oil and check stuff out. While I did find some loose exhaust connections, nothing was responsible for the noise.

Must be the clutch. In a last ditch effort, I'm going to try swapping out the hard poly differential mount for the stock rubber mount. I'm hoping that maybe it just needs a bit more compliance? If that doesn't work, :aintcare:

:|

Still, despite it all, the car is just way too much fun. When cruising around town, the 2k-2.5k noise isn't noticable. I guess as long as I don't take the car on extended trips, it'll still be :fuckyeah: Gapped the anti-Max in a new Mustang last night (young kid whose plate read "401KLOL") while bruising last night. Ridiculous fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

:jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am Image

:jimp:
Car looks good man. Don't :pussy: out now.
I can't...just need to get it off DD status and I'll really :wub:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm
I can't...just need to get it off DD status and I'll really :wub:
:dat:

When you don't DD a car, little niggles bother you much, much less.
Yep, I suspect this is the solution.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:19 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:11 pm

:dat:

When you don't DD a car, little niggles bother you much, much less.
Yep, I suspect this is the solution.
Well, no. You have to be able to take the car on road trips.