Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Chris are you going to do a metal bumper for the ZR2? I think it would look 5000% better with a true off road metal bumper on there.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am Man, placitis is flaring bad...but not even to buy anything else, just to do silly things with the ZR2.

Car's been driving great, I somewhat got the window fixed after the disaster road last week, and while it's absolutely :lolol: I don't get the opportunity to enjoy it the way I want to. I spend so much time sitting in traffic and driving on roads with low speed limits, it's getting to be :rage: to have any sort of fun car.

To make matters worse, I spent yesterday cleaning it, getting it all primped. Go to drive it to work today, and passenger side window is dead, the security light is on in the dash (no idea if it'll let me get home tonight), and the "service active handling/traction control" is flashing...a fix I did 3 years ago.

Modding is fun, fixing broken shit is less so. Ugh old cars.
Sorry dude. Re-fixing stuff you already fixed is a huge bummer.

I also know the feels of having a sporty/fast-ish car that you can't really use. Kind of why I enjoyed the Miata so much. Summer is almost here, the roads will get fixed, and you can take it on morning romps on the weekend without worrying too much.
The biggest thing is that in SE Michigan, there's nowhere to romp. Even if they fixed the roads (they won't) It's just straight boring roads, with no fun to be had really. It's fun to cruise, but that's about it. Meh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am Man, placitis is flaring bad...but not even to buy anything else, just to do silly things with the ZR2.

Car's been driving great, I somewhat got the window fixed after the disaster road last week, and while it's absolutely :lolol: I don't get the opportunity to enjoy it the way I want to. I spend so much time sitting in traffic and driving on roads with low speed limits, it's getting to be :rage: to have any sort of fun car.

To make matters worse, I spent yesterday cleaning it, getting it all primped. Go to drive it to work today, and passenger side window is dead, the security light is on in the dash (no idea if it'll let me get home tonight), and the "service active handling/traction control" is flashing...a fix I did 3 years ago.

Modding is fun, fixing broken shit is less so. Ugh old cars.
Go on....
Front level, 33's, Mallet blower, full steel underbody protection.

That would be my ideal truck. I actually prefer driving the ZR2 to the :poorvette: With a bit more juice and blower whine sprinkled on top, it would be my perfect all-around vehicle. I could sell the :poorvette: and put that money with some cash to buy-out the lease in a year and a half. /bread
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am Chris are you going to do a metal bumper for the ZR2? I think it would look 5000% better with a true off road metal bumper on there.
Nah. I actually love the way the front looks as-is. No metal bumper actually increases approach angle, and a lot of them look too aftermarkety to me. I've got a front receiver mount I'm going to install so I can plug the winch into the front or rear and that's it.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:02 am

Go on....

That would be my ideal truck. I actually prefer driving the ZR2 to the :poorvette: With a bit more juice and blower whine sprinkled on top, it would be my perfect all-around vehicle. I could sell the :poorvette: and put that money with some cash to buy-out the lease in a year and a half. /bread
That would be good. Throw an exhaust on it for good measure and some braps.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:20 am

Possibly. The stock exhaust is surprisingly loud, and I'm not really a fan of how most V6's sound with an exhaust. If the right one popped up, :doe:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Go on....

:notbad:

Is there anything different (aside from the shocks) between the ZR2 and plebe Z71 suspensions?
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:20 am

Possibly. The stock exhaust is surprisingly loud, and I'm not really a fan of how most V6's sound with an exhaust. If the right one popped up, :doe:
I'm waiting for the 5 hundo mileage break-in period to be over before going full brap.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I still think that a proper :waxer: rally suspension is the ideal setup for a sporty street car. Not a stiffer econobox like the WRX, but a real long-travel double wishbone setup with trick dampers, etc.

The ZR2 is actually closer to that in its suspension than any sports cars sold today. Too bad it's a 5000 lb 4x4 barge with a useless bed. Make a 2-door 2WD TrailBlazer version and you'll be getting close to an ideal fun commuter.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:44 am

Is there anything different (aside from the shocks) between the ZR2 and plebe Z71 suspensions?
2" higher, 2.5" wider.

Front control arms are cast iron, mounting points to the frame are different and beefier. Rear axle is wider, springs are higher, e-lockers front and rear. That's it.

The Z71 is amazingly capable, :doe: We've had a number of stock Z71 owners come out with us and do just fine. It's really steep climbs and really rocky terrain where extra clearance is needed that gets the Z71. For 90% of the wheeling I do, it's fine.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 am I still think that a proper :waxer: rally suspension is the ideal setup for a sporty street car. Not a stiffer econobox like the WRX, but a real long-travel double wishbone setup with trick dampers, etc.

The ZR2 is actually closer to that in its suspension than any sports cars sold today. Too bad it's a 5000 lb 4x4 barge with a useless bed. Make a 2-door 2WD TrailBlazer version and you'll be getting close to an ideal fun commuter.
I'm with you 100%. Which is why I'd buy an Ariel Nomad tomorrow if they weren't $90k.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am

2" higher, 2.5" wider.

Front control arms are cast iron, mounting points to the frame are different and beefier. Rear axle is wider, springs are higher, e-lockers front and rear. That's it.

The Z71 is amazingly capable, :doe: We've had a number of stock Z71 owners come out with us and do just fine. It's really steep climbs and really rocky terrain where extra clearance is needed that gets the Z71. For 90% of the wheeling I do, it's fine.
Johnny_P

larger e-dick
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:03 pm

larger e-dick
:truk: :doe: so shouldn't it be smaller :dong: ?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 am I still think that a proper :waxer: rally suspension is the ideal setup for a sporty street car. Not a stiffer econobox like the WRX, but a real long-travel double wishbone setup with trick dampers, etc.

A crosstrek with balls and double wishbones all around instead of just the rear.

That would be pretty good.
Apex

Something like dis?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:07 pm Something like dis?
Lower it

Or just turn it into a trophy truck. I'd DD a trophy truck.

Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:17 pm
Apex wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:07 pm Something like dis?
Lower it

Or just turn it into a trophy truck. I'd DD a trophy truck.

:dat: is BJ Baldwin's DD Blazer.

You know, for when he's not in his trophy truck...
troyguitar

Apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 pm Image
:megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

100% Correct. I have a real interest in these fancy shocks in the ZR2 and Raptor. For my purposes, however, I need an SUV, not a truck because they are too damn long for my garage and parking outside doesn't get it done in the desert. Also, I have very little use for a truck bed, said me and every exiled Russian now living on Elba.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 pm Image
So much perfection.
ChrisoftheNorth

The problem with trophy trucks (and thus the Raptor) is they're just too damned wide. That's why I like the midsize so much better, it's way easier day-to-day.

And the fancy suspension is no joke.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:The problem with trophy trucks (and thus the Raptor) is they're just too damned wide. That's why I like the midsize so much better, it's way easier day-to-day.

It's the same issue with sports cars. Ain't nobody need an 80" wide car.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 pm
Detroit wrote:The problem with trophy trucks (and thus the Raptor) is they're just too damned wide. That's why I like the midsize so much better, it's way easier day-to-day.

It's the same issue with sports cars. Ain't nobody need an 80" wide car.
:dat: