Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 pm
D Griff wrote:
You're not in to breaking camshafts in two?
It's too cold for dolphins up here so I wouldn't know how to snap it in half.
:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm
Gberg2119 wrote::fuckyeah:

Gonna need lots of sound clips!

I told myself I wouldn't buy another exhaust but who knows.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'll be happy to upload some clips of the new noises once I bolt this on! Hopefully I get a warm and dry day soon.
Post a "before" clip too, if possible, so we can hear the difference. TIA!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm I'll be happy to upload some clips of the new noises once I bolt this on! Hopefully I get a warm and dry day soon.
A side by side video at [user not found]'s place would be 5/7
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 pm
wap wrote:
A side by side video at [user not found]'s place would be 5/7
:like: :doit:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

First time I got to do some windows down driving today. This car NEEDS volume. Windows down and some WOT driving it's so quiet even with the soundacktor buzzing away. I miss my turboback.

Such a shame VW doesn't have exhausts with character for north american cars.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:49 pm First time I got to do some windows down driving today. This car NEEDS volume. Windows down and some WOT driving it's so quiet even with the soundacktor buzzing away. I miss my turboback.

It is fairly difficult to make a turbo 4 sound good... then again I thought same about the beema and somehow BMW did it. I think you essentially have to artificially GENERATE noise in order to make sound in these vehicles.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:49 pm First time I got to do some windows down driving today. This car NEEDS volume. Windows down and some WOT driving it's so quiet even with the soundacktor buzzing away. I miss my turboback.

It is fairly difficult to make a turbo 4 sound good... then again I thought same about the beema and somehow BMW did it. I think you essentially have to artificially GENERATE noise in order to make sound in these vehicles.
You can give them some character (noise), but it's never going to be a V8, or even a VR6. Some exhausts are tuned to give a deep-ish throaty sound with little to no drone, and that's all we can hope for. I'm excited to listen to my new setup. Stock is basically like any other stock in line four banger. Pretty boring on a car that's otherwise really entertaining.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:First time I got to do some windows down driving today. This car NEEDS volume. Windows down and some WOT driving it's so quiet even with the soundacktor buzzing away. I miss my turboback.

:dat: a factory akropovic option would be awesome!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:First time I got to do some windows down driving today. This car NEEDS volume. Windows down and some WOT driving it's so quiet even with the soundacktor buzzing away. I miss my turboback.

I don't know why but the euro cars sound so much better in stock form even without the akropovic. Could the MPI have something to do with it?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:44 pm
max225 wrote:
You can give them some character (noise), but it's never going to be a V8, or even a VR6. Some exhausts are tuned to give a deep-ish throaty sound with little to no drone, and that's all we can hope for. I'm excited to listen to my new setup. Stock is basically like any other stock in line four banger. Pretty boring on a car that's otherwise really entertaining.
I seem to :member: the GTI sounding pretty good and much louder than a WRX that i drove back to back. Dat sounductor.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Akropovic was the one exhaust I really considered for the GTI, but I couldn't swallow that price tag.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 pm :dat: a factory akropovic option would be awesome!
Akropovic was the one exhaust I really considered for the GTI, but I couldn't swallow that price tag.
The factory akro is over $3k for our R's and it's only an axleback. If I remember right it doesn't even fit the 7 R. It only fits the 7.5 which has a slightly wider diffuser.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Akropovic was the one exhaust I really considered for the GTI, but I couldn't swallow that price tag.
The factory akro is over $3k for our R's and it's only an axleback. If I remember right it doesn't even fit the 7 R. It only fits the 7.5 which has a slightly wider diffuser.

This is 50% of the price, and looks like a solid piece. Deets to come.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:boxodicks: installed.

I feel like the left side is out more then the right, easy adjustment but it's cold out so maybe another time.ImageImageImage
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oh, also took a couple of before and after runs but when I listen to them on my phone they sound the same. IRL theres a 20-25% increase in volume on WOT and a deeper purr everywhere else. It's not drastic, some would even venture to say that the difference doesn't justify the price, but I like it a lot.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

They do sound fairly similar. DSG farts a little more noticeable on the Remus. It's probably very different from outside the car. GoRf is almost too refined in the cabin.

Your soundacktor is at 0% right?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:They do sound fairly similar. DSG farts a little more noticeable on the Remus. It's probably very different from outside the car. GoRf is almost too refined in the cabin.

The audio doesn't demonstrate the differences, but there is a deeper and louder note, maybe stock + 20% which is perfect for daily duty but to open the sound up more I think a res-less catback is the better way to go.

My soundaktor is unplugged in both of these videos.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:30 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:They do sound fairly similar. DSG farts a little more noticeable on the Remus. It's probably very different from outside the car. GoRf is almost too refined in the cabin.

The audio doesn't demonstrate the differences, but there is a deeper and louder note, maybe stock + 20% which is perfect for daily duty but to open the sound up more I think a res-less catback is the better way to go.

So if your Remus is just an axle-back, you can probably do the OEM resonator delete too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:30 pm The audio doesn't demonstrate the differences, but there is a deeper and louder note, maybe stock + 20% which is perfect for daily duty but to open the sound up more I think a res-less catback is the better way to go.

So if your Remus is just an axle-back, you can probably do the OEM resonator delete too.
Right, the pipe would bolt right in if I choose to give it a try. The exhaust guy was saying that he wouldve removed the resonator to wake the car up. I might pick one up later this year. Maybe the res delete is all the car really needs :derp:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: So if your Remus is just an axle-back, you can probably do the OEM resonator delete too.
Right, the pipe would bolt right in if I choose to give it a try. The exhaust guy was saying that he wouldve removed the resonator to wake the car up. I might pick one up later this year. Maybe the res delete is all the car really needs :derp:
Now that I think about it, are the diameters the same?

Do you have your valves coded to always open?

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Right, the pipe would bolt right in if I choose to give it a try. The exhaust guy was saying that he wouldve removed the resonator to wake the car up. I might pick one up later this year. Maybe the res delete is all the car really needs :derp:

There is an adapter ring that fits the wider Remus onto the stock resonator pipe now so I'm sure that something can be done one way or another via direct bolt up or a connecting pipe.

I'd like to have better control of the valves but I still don't have an OBD11

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:05 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:

There is an adapter ring that fits the wider Remus onto the stock resonator pipe now so I'm sure that something can be done one way or another via direct bolt up or a connecting pipe.

I still don't have it either. I should probably buy it as I've had the car over a year already.

Exhausts are so tricky to get on camera. When it gets warmer I'll do the res delete.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:05 pm There is an adapter ring that fits the wider Remus onto the stock resonator pipe now so I'm sure that something can be done one way or another via direct bolt up or a connecting pipe.

I still don't have it either. I should probably buy it as I've had the car over a year already.

Exhausts are so tricky to get on camera. When it gets warmer I'll do the res delete.
Ok cool in4updates. I don't want to bolt on anything else until I learn what those valves are doing. If they are closing even in Race mode (which i think that they are doing) then I can likely code them to be fully open always. What would be ideal is 100% open in race and default setting in Comfort/Normal.

Additional side note, I should be patient because my stock exhaust sounds louder now that I have a few miles on it, wouldnt you say? Its possible that the Remus will do the same thing. Plus I am a little excited about full bro mode but a few weeks or months can go by and a well tuned deep purring exhaust may be exactly what I should have bolted to the .:R