Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:39 pm I'm getting the CQ UK stuff at closer to $98 CAD delivered&taxed (which is equivalent to a list price of 62USD) before tax. It's about $20 more then the locally sourced Sonax stuff but I ordered it anyways :troywax:

At least I saved close to an hour of my time going to pick it up. Plus I hear the UK stuff is their top product option so maybe it'll last longer.
I heard it differently. UK is supposed to be easier to apply but doesn't last as long.

Still, WAY longer than wax and 5/7 worth the effort.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:39 pm I'm getting the CQ UK stuff at closer to $98 CAD delivered&taxed (which is equivalent to a list price of 62USD) before tax. It's about $20 more then the locally sourced Sonax stuff but I ordered it anyways :troywax:

At least I saved close to an hour of my time going to pick it up. Plus I hear the UK stuff is their top product option so maybe it'll last longer.
I heard it differently. UK is supposed to be easier to apply but doesn't last as long.

I can't find the longevity for either type of CQ product but they are comparing UK to Opti-coat and say both are 5/7, I've had Opti-coat put on the mk6 and it seemed to last a couple of years.

DFD stepped up my detailing game! :fuckyeah: :like:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 pm
Detroit wrote:I heard it differently. UK is supposed to be easier to apply but doesn't last as long.

I can't find the longevity for either type of CQ product but they are comparing UK to Opti-coat and say both are 5/7, I've had Opti-coat put on the mk6 and it seemed to last a couple of years.

Yea, I don't know what the difference is, really. :waxer: told me the regular vs UK thing, so I bought the regular. Didn't find it hard to apply, but whatever. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these products. I'm so pleased with how the :poorvette: turned out after a year, it's :mindblown:

Make sure you get a bottle of Reload to keep it shiny. I pretty much use Reload as a spray wax every 6 mos or so and the car looks :mindblown: still.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 pm I can't find the longevity for either type of CQ product but they are comparing UK to Opti-coat and say both are 5/7, I've had Opti-coat put on the mk6 and it seemed to last a couple of years.

Yea, I don't know what the difference is, really. :waxer: told me the regular vs UK thing, so I bought the regular. Didn't find it hard to apply, but whatever. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these products. I'm so pleased with how the :poorvette: turned out after a year, it's :mindblown:

Make sure you get a bottle of Reload to keep it shiny. I pretty much use Reload as a spray wax every 6 mos or so and the car looks :mindblown: still.
Yeah :aintcare: , my original thought process didn't include researching either spec and I grabbed the first bottle that Amazon had posted up for said price. If it lasts a year or two then I'll repeat the process and add another coat.

I'm really enthusiastic about full paint correction and coating on the R. It's so new that the correction/coating process will be pretty seamless I think. Polarized sunglasses cut through the hazy clear coat and really bring out the metallic flake and BLOO, so once done right the paint should be insane.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am
Detroit wrote: Yea, I don't know what the difference is, really. :waxer: told me the regular vs UK thing, so I bought the regular. Didn't find it hard to apply, but whatever. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these products. I'm so pleased with how the :poorvette: turned out after a year, it's :mindblown:

Yeah :aintcare: , my original thought process didn't include researching either spec and I grabbed the first bottle that Amazon had posted up for said price. If it lasts a year or two then I'll repeat the process and add another coat.

I'm really enthusiastic about full paint correction and coating on the R. It's so new that the correction/coating process will be pretty seamless I think. Polarized sunglasses cut through the hazy clear coat and really bring out the metallic flake and BLOO, so once done right the paint should be insane.
This really is the best time to do it. It's never too late (I coated a 13 year old car), but it'll be much less work now. And keep the car looking new... 5/7.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 pm I can't find the longevity for either type of CQ product but they are comparing UK to Opti-coat and say both are 5/7, I've had Opti-coat put on the mk6 and it seemed to last a couple of years.

I need to get my car detailed with this shit.

Also. Those wheels on the R are :jizz:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am Yea, I don't know what the difference is, really. :waxer: told me the regular vs UK thing, so I bought the regular. Didn't find it hard to apply, but whatever. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these products. I'm so pleased with how the :poorvette: turned out after a year, it's :mindblown:

I need to get my car detailed with this shit.

Also. Those wheels on the R are :jizz:
Thanks! I'm still loving the wheels. It makes me laugh when I see forum broz selling them to finance BBS whatevers. I still haven't seen wheels that look better on the car then the prets.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Paint correction day! It's amazing how much sparkle and color variance comes to the surface after its buffed. Image
ChrisoftheNorth

:jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So I had to pull the chute on car stuff. I think paint correction needs nothing more, and it'll sit in the garage until tomorrow. I will iron-x this bish, strip off whatever is left on the paint with eraser and then It'll be CQuartz time. I'm happy with how the car is looking thus far.

I can't believe i spent all day on this lol
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 pm So I had to pull the chute on car stuff. I think paint correction needs nothing more, and it'll sit in the garage until tomorrow. I will iron-x this bish, strip off whatever is left on the paint with eraser and then It'll be CQuartz time. I'm happy with how the car is looking thus far.

The end result will be 5/7 worth it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 pm So I had to pull the chute on car stuff. I think paint correction needs nothing more, and it'll sit in the garage until tomorrow. I will iron-x this bish, strip off whatever is left on the paint with eraser and then It'll be CQuartz time. I'm happy with how the car is looking thus far.

The end result will be 5/7 worth it.
:fuckyeah: , thanks for your advice with it.

I really feel like giving the paintwork a mild buffing is worth it even on new paint. My car arrived to Canada in Feb so it's probably more beaten up than your truck will be, but in this case there is a visible improvement to the clarity of the clear after the work.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 pm
Detroit wrote:The end result will be 5/7 worth it.
:fuckyeah: , thanks for your advice with it.

I really feel like giving the paintwork a mild buffing is worth it even on new paint. My car arrived to Canada in Feb so it's probably more beaten up than your truck will be, but in this case there is a visible improvement to the clarity of the clear after the work.
Yea, good point. It's probably worth hitting it with the DA a bit. I'll probably just :doit:

At least I can skip the clay.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Dat blu :boner:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Dat bloo looks uh-mazing. :jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It does such crazy things in different light. Blurple in overcast lighting. Seriously 5/7
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:55 pm Paint correction day! It's amazing how much sparkle and color variance comes to the surface after its buffed. Image
Noice.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Finally wiped down the surface with IPA/water mix and finished the CQ job up. It's a shit load of work mangs.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Tar on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Are the inside exhaust tips darker/dirtier than the outside ones?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote:Are the inside exhaust tips darker/dirtier than the outside ones?
Yup, I didn't waste time on anything outside of the paint correction scope of work. 3M coated bumpers, wheels and exhaust still need a good cleaning. The exhaust is valved and I'm guessing that's why some of the openings look cleaner.
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm
Apex wrote:Are the inside exhaust tips darker/dirtier than the outside ones?
Yup, I didn't waste time on anything outside of the paint correction scope of work. 3M coated bumpers, wheels and exhaust still need a good cleaning. The exhaust is valved and I'm guessing that's why some of the openings look cleaner.
Ahhh, got it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm Yup, I didn't waste time on anything outside of the paint correction scope of work. 3M coated bumpers, wheels and exhaust still need a good cleaning. The exhaust is valved and I'm guessing that's why some of the openings look cleaner.
Ahhh, got it.
I'm possibly going to get too busy to spend much extra time with it, but to this point I'm 8 hrs over two days into paint correction, cleaning, running around for supplies etc. Probably need another hour to clean up the rest of it.
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 pm
Apex wrote:
Ahhh, got it.
I'm possibly going to get too busy to spend much extra time with it, but to this point I'm 8 hrs over two days into paint correction, cleaning, running around for supplies etc. Probably need another hour to clean up the rest of it.
That blue looks amazing doe.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 pm I'm possibly going to get too busy to spend much extra time with it, but to this point I'm 8 hrs over two days into paint correction, cleaning, running around for supplies etc. Probably need another hour to clean up the rest of it.
That blue looks amazing doe.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Turned out fucking awesome. Patience pays off, and now it'll be super easy to keep nice for a while.