Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

So after all that is he still using the front pinch welds to lift and support the car? :derp: so I probably missed something in that video.

On the poorvette i lift with pucks and place the stands on a pressure treated 2x6 cut to the perfect length to fit between the two trailing arms. Works great, having to use the pinch welds every time i want to support the GoRf still sucks.

Edit:
Not saying its not needed for rear end support.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 pm So after all that is he still using the front pinch welds to lift and support the car? :derp: so I probably missed something in that video.

On the poorvette i lift with pucks and place the stands on a pressure treated 2x6 cut to the perfect length to fit between the two trailing arms. Works great, having to use the pinch welds every time i want to support the GoRf still sucks.
Yeah. I guess it's tricky trying to jack it and place stands because the jack takes up so much space under the pinch welds. Using a lift you can use the pads to support it. Or I can just not use stands and swap one wheel at a time that way I never touch the pinch welds.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 pm So after all that is he still using the front pinch welds to lift and support the car? :derp: so I probably missed something in that video.

Yeah. I guess it's tricky trying to jack it and place stands because the jack takes up so much space under the pinch welds. Using a lift you can use the pads to support it. Or I can just not use stands and swap one wheel at a time that way I never touch the pinch welds.
The good thing about this kit is that the back pads lift the whole side of the car :notbad:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fuckyeah just landed a line on a used OBD11 for $50! I'll bring it along if i can make it
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:triggered:

I miss a 2 door. :(

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:wtf: is that...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote::wtf: is that...
I think one of the rivets from my jeans brushed the wheel when I was getting in today. Still not used to 4 door lyfe.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I scratched mine too but used the smooth part of my fingernail to flatten out the high spots and it seemed to work out not bad.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:26 pm
max225 wrote::wtf: is that...
I think one of the rivets from my jeans brushed the wheel when I was getting in today. Still not used to 4 door lyfe.

You were literally humping the wheel? :yikes:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:I scratched mine too but used the smooth part of my fingernail to flatten out the high spots and it seemed to work out not bad.
Is it just me or is this steering wheel leather on the Mk7 inferior to that of the 5 and 6? It seems cheaper? I don't know if that's the right word to use.

Maybe I'll get a xuji wrap in the future as they seem to be popular.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote:I scratched mine too but used the smooth part of my fingernail to flatten out the high spots and it seemed to work out not bad.
Is it just me or is this steering wheel leather on the Mk7 inferior to that of the 5 and 6? It seems cheaper? I don't know if that's the right word to use.

Maybe I'll get a xuji wrap in the future as they seem to be popular.

Softer maybe?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It feels like it's more supple and has less paint on it. The 18 tsi is the same way.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:26 pm I think one of the rivets from my jeans brushed the wheel when I was getting in today. Still not used to 4 door lyfe.

It's a narrow opening and my right hip sometimes bumps the wheel getting in and out.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

It's a narrow opening and my right hip sometimes bumps the wheel getting in and out.
Weird never had that issue...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Wat
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 amWat
Do you h..bump the wheel getting in and out of the car ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 amWat
:bruh:

Small doors and I was trying not to wreck the bolsters.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

I was trying to essplain to Johnny he was cornfused
Johnny_P

I use the bolsters as a slip 'n slide.
JK, I'm tall enough to mostly step over them.

My MK6 wheel turned shiny after 6 years though. I don't think the leather is super thick. Probably decent quality overall but better quality leather isn't exactly more durable overall. My STI wheel is a more plasticky leather but it hasn't started to turn shiny. It's probably made of mouse hide instead of whale penis. :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 pm

My MK6 wheel turned shiny after 6 years though. I don't think the leather is super thick. Probably decent quality overall but better quality leather isn't exactly more durable overall. My STI wheel is a more plasticky leather but it hasn't started to turn shiny. It's probably made of mouse hide instead of whale penis. :iono:
I'm 6'3" so I have the seat back pretty far as well as the steering wheel out as far as it'll go. Combine that with the shorter doors of the 4 door and not trying to drag ass across the bolsters, I sometimes bump the wheel. Never had that with the long doors on my Mk6.

I kept my Mk6 wheel almost perfect for 6 years so this :triggered: me. Do they make a xuji wrap for the Subaru?
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm 6'3" so I have the seat back pretty far as well as the steering wheel out as far as it'll go. Combine that with the shorter doors of the 4 door and not trying to drag ass across the bolsters, I sometimes bump the wheel. Never had that with the long doors on my Mk6.

I kept my Mk6 wheel almost perfect for 6 years so this :triggered: me. Do they make a xuji wrap for the Subaru?
Never looked into it. I wouldn't want one though, don't want to change the wheel thickness at all. I didn't very much like the gratuitously thick steering wheel on the M235i.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Never looked into it. I wouldn't want one though, don't want to change the wheel thickness at all. I didn't very much like the gratuitously thick steering wheel on the M235i.
Do you have trump hands or something? :notsure:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Do you have trump hands or something? :notsure:
It just felt unnecessary. Its a fine line. The STI wheel is fantastic. Same with the MK6 GTI wheel. The Porsche alcantara sport wheel was trash IMO because it was too thin and tiny.
max225

Can't handle the girth eh :hubba:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Can't handle the girth eh :hubba:
I just didn't understand the point of it. I'd have preferred actual steering feedback to a meaty wheel.