Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote:I'm kinda thinking about dumping the Enkei's for some OEM ramz but it's probably not worth it for winter. I was thinking either the VW motorsport wheel or a black 18" pretoria.

:like: them both for winter setup
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

+1 for the black multispoke wheels on blue cars, but I might be biased.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

My vote goes for pretoria.

On other hand, I've ran Michelin Pilot AS3's for 2 winters, including 2-3 inches of snow. As long as you drive normal, they seem to handle just fine. But they are a harder below freezing, like bricks.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I'll probably just run the enkei's and see how they hold up to winter weather. The OEM wheels for sure wouldn't have any problems but these I'm not sure about. Structurally I think they'll be fine but cosmetically is another story.
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 pm My vote goes for pretoria.

On other hand, I've ran Michelin Pilot AS3's for 2 winters, including 2-3 inches of snow. As long as you drive normal, they seem to handle just fine. But they are a harder below freezing, like bricks.
Do you have the AS3 or AS3+? I believe they changed the compound for the +.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 pm I'll probably just run the enkei's and see how they hold up to winter weather. The OEM wheels for sure wouldn't have any problems but these I'm not sure about. Structurally I think they'll be fine but cosmetically is another story.

Just had the AS3, now I'm running General GMAX AS03
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:I'll probably just run the enkei's and see how they hold up to winter weather. The OEM wheels for sure wouldn't have any problems but these I'm not sure about. Structurally I think they'll be fine but cosmetically is another story.

Ops... I blundered. I was referring to the AS3 in regards to snow. Didn't know there's a newer version. The old ones are amazing three season tars that I loved in dry/wet weather.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:I'll probably just run the enkei's and see how they hold up to winter weather. The OEM wheels for sure wouldn't have any problems but these I'm not sure about. Structurally I think they'll be fine but cosmetically is another story.

Ops... I blundered. I was referring to the AS3 in regards to snow. Didn't know there's a newer version. The old ones are amazing three season tars that I loved in dry/wet weather.
I :derp:'ed too and linked to the older AS3 test. Apparently the AS3+ are significantly improved in the snow. The DWS still edges it slightly but the michelin's are much improved.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=216

Now the question is do I let costco swap do the wheel swap now in mid october or do I keep rolling on the prets for a few more weeks before I change them myself.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm Ops... I blundered. I was referring to the AS3 in regards to snow. Didn't know there's a newer version. The old ones are amazing three season tars that I loved in dry/wet weather.
I :derp:'ed too and linked to the older AS3 test. Apparently the AS3+ are significantly improved in the snow. The DWS still edges it slightly but the michelin's are much improved.

Now the question is do I let costco swap do the wheel swap now in mid october or do I keep rolling on the prets for a few more weeks before I change them myself.
Personally I'd do it sooner then later. They have a good wear rating, and are 5/7 in this type of weather. I feel like they offer 90% of what the summers on the prets can offer.

Did you decide on which ramz you like best? :popcorn:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I was geeking out to this exhaust system for our car. :notsure: because I'm listening to it through a phone speaker but I'm considering it down the road if it sounds good in person.

The screens look nice but I'd rather look at our gen of gauge, and not having a volume/power button would drive my crazy. Otherwise I think the reworked euro spec interior shown looks like it could give BMW a run for its money, very @maxmk8 spec.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: I :derp:'ed too and linked to the older AS3 test. Apparently the AS3+ are significantly improved in the snow. The DWS still edges it slightly but the michelin's are much improved.

Personally I'd do it sooner then later. They have a good wear rating, and are 5/7 in this type of weather. I feel like they offer 90% of what the summers on the prets can offer.

Did you decide on which ramz you like best? :popcorn:
Yeah I guess I will swap early. It's penny installs at Costco so for a penny I'll have them put the wheels on the car instead of doing it myself in the cold. How much longer can I really run the summers anyway.

I like the motorsports but I'm not gonna do anything yet. I'll see how the enkeis hold up.
Tarspin wrote:I was geeking out to this exhaust system for our car. :notsure: because I'm listening to it through a phone speaker but I'm considering it down the road if it sounds good in person.

The screens look nice but I'd rather look at our gen of gauge, and not having a volume/power button would drive my crazy. Otherwise I think the reworked euro spec interior shown looks like it could give BMW a run for its money, very @maxmk8 spec.

That exhaust does sound great. I think it's only an axleback too. Hopefully there's an oem part number for it and it can be ordered from those Latvian sites just like the clubsport s exhaust was.

I was playing around with the new infotainment system yesterday and it's pretty nice. Screen is very high res but it will be a fingerprint magnet. No volume knob is straight up :derp:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am I was geeking out to this exhaust system for our car. :notsure: because I'm listening to it through a phone speaker but I'm considering it down the road if it sounds good in person.

I always liked VW interiors. BTW, it now comes with a 7 speed dct. For the US market also ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am I was geeking out to this exhaust system for our car. :notsure: because I'm listening to it through a phone speaker but I'm considering it down the road if it sounds good in person.

I always liked VW interiors. BTW, it now comes with a 7 speed dct. For the US market also ?
The 7 speed DSG is coming to the US. GoRf only though. GTI still has the 6 speed.
max225

Is that trans reliable ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:52 am Is that trans reliable ?
I don't see why it shouldn't be. Haven't the DSG's been solid for years? The only thing I remember was the mechatronic thing but that was on early MkV's I think.

You should definitely check out the refreshed GoRf. The only negative is that it's an egg but it checks every other box. They gotta be coming out soon but when I asked my :dillerman: he said he still hasn't gotten order guides for 2018 Golfs. He has them for every other model line though.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:20 pm
I don't see why it shouldn't be. Haven't the DSG's been solid for years? The only thing I remember was the mechatronic thing but that was on early MkV's I think.

You should definitely check out the refreshed GoRf. The only negative is that it's an egg but it checks every other box. They gotta be coming out soon but when I asked my :dillerman: he said he still hasn't gotten order guides for 2018 Golfs. He has them for every other model line though.
If I was a rich guy with a long commute. I’d do golf R. But I think i want something a bit different for my next ride. That choice won’t be easy
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

You've got me looking at exhaust videos again. Damn it.

Resonator delete is still a nice option for cheap.

The Borla doesn't sound too bad either and its valved. The Milltek's are pretty :waxer:. Not a fan of AWE stuff at all.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

7 speed DSG's has been used in mk6 era Polo GTI, regular Golf's from Europe from mk6 or mk7 era. Pretty much a standard auto trans for ROW VW cars. Don't think I hear much issues from them. One of my relatives overseas drive a mk5 Jetta tdi with that trans I believe and a friend with a tiguan 2.0 TDI with that as well, never heard issues. The Tiguan friend know I like cars, so she'd tell me if there were any issues.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 am
max225 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 am

The 7 speed DSG is coming to the US. GoRf only though. GTI still has the 6 speed.
I believe thats because NA R's are still made in Germany, whereas rest of the mk7 line up is made in Mexico. That maybe is why.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I really need to listen to one or more in person, my fear is that I'd be buying something too loud and abnoxious or add drone to my day. I want something that looks like the 7.5 Ackro, sounds like the Borla S you posted with the valves open but stock when the valves closed.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:I really need to listen to one or more in person, my fear is that I'd be buying something too loud and abnoxious or add drone to my day. I want something that looks like the 7.5 Ackro, sounds like the Borla S you posted with the valves open but stock when the valves closed.
I've never heard any in person unfortunately. I haven't been to any VW meets or shows. That akropovic is probably going to be at least $3k though. I didn't realize it's a titanium exhaust.

I guess you could do the borla and maybe change the tips. If I do any exhaust it will be non resonated but valved. I think that's probably the best combo for noise and no drone.

max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pm
7 speed DSG's has been used in mk6 era Polo GTI, regular Golf's from Europe from mk6 or mk7 era. Pretty much a standard auto trans for ROW VW cars. Don't think I hear much issues from them. One of my relatives overseas drive a mk5 Jetta tdi with that trans I believe and a friend with a tiguan 2.0 TDI with that as well, never heard issues. The Tiguan friend know I like cars, so she'd tell me if there were any issues.
But I thought the 6 speed could handle stupid amounts of power whereas the 7 had some kind of torque limit that was pretty low (250lb ft) or something like that
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm You've got me looking at exhaust videos again. Damn it.
Man, not tryin' to hate because the Golf R is a damn nice car, but I have never been a fan of the sound on the Mk6 or Mk7. I was hoping the Borla would be nice since I had one for a while on my Mk4, but I just can't get into it. I think I'm just hooked on that VR6 noise. Resonator delete sounds okay. I didn't watch the whole 12 minute (first) video, but I assume there's a much more complex flapper/valve setup in the Mk7, yeah?

Are there any exhausts that make it sound a bit deeper? I know that's a challenge on a 2.0L 4 banger... Also each one of the options lacks any real character on startup. It doesn't have to be stupid loud for that.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm You've got me looking at exhaust videos again. Damn it.
Man, not tryin' to hate because the Golf R is a damn nice car, but I have never been a fan of the sound on the Mk6 or Mk7. I was hoping the Borla would be nice since I had one for a while on my Mk4, but I just can't get into it. I think I'm just hooked on that VR6 noise. Resonator delete sounds okay. I didn't watch the whole 12 minute (first) video, but I assume there's a much more complex flapper/valve setup in the Mk7, yeah?

Are there any exhausts that make it sound a bit deeper? I know that's a challenge on a 2.0L 4 banger... Also each one of the options lacks any real character on startup. It doesn't have to be stupid loud for that.
You're probably hooked on VR6 noises as they do sounds amazing. The Mk7 does have an exhaust flapper built in. If I remember right it opens at WOT no matter what drive mode you're in but it stays open all the time in race mode. You can also code the flap to stay open all the time but of course there are people who say it drones and some who say it doesn't.

The resonator delete is popular because it's actually an Audi S3 part and can be had for $150-200. Significantly cheaper than a full catback.

I thought the borla sounded pretty decent. I'd still like to hear one in person though. I also think a deeper tone would come from the downpipe but I have no desire to do a full turboback. Been there, done that.

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:05 pm The resonator delete is popular because it's actually an Audi S3 part and can be had for $150-200. Significantly cheaper than a full catback.
Oh nice, I assumed that it would be actually cutting out the stock one and welding in a pipe. :notbad:.

Still respect though, these cars are quick. I lined up against one at a ProSolo a while back and got absolutely smoked to 60ft in the S2K. I expected to get beat, but not by .4 when I felt I was doing okay pulling 2.2s. Sweet jesus.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:05 pm The resonator delete is popular because it's actually an Audi S3 part and can be had for $150-200. Significantly cheaper than a full catback.
Oh nice, I assumed that it would be actually cutting out the stock one and welding in a pipe. :notbad:.

Still respect though, these cars are quick. I lined up against one at a ProSolo a while back and got absolutely smoked to 60ft in the S2K. I expected to get beat, but not by .4 when I felt I was doing okay pulling 2.2s. Sweet jesus.
You do have to make one cut to get the resonator out but it looks so easy. It's just cutting the one side then putting another sleeve clamp on to connect it to the rest of the catback.

The ecs kit is cheapest but there is an official Audi part too.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Volkswag ... ete_22084/