Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:55 pm :like:

I have always been good with 30%, no tickets or hassles.

I feel like my tastes have changed enough that 50-70% seems right on a metallic blue or purple cars, makes me go :triggered: . I still want some UV/heat repellant doe. Not rushing into it. Things could change if gbergs car looks awesome with 30s
Did you pick up an OBDeleven yet? They're offering 200 free credits with it until december 31st. I still have to find out how well it works with 2017's though.
Are you ordering direct from the manufacturer? How do credits work... 1 credit = 1 non-standard feature added?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:
Did you pick up an OBDeleven yet? They're offering 200 free credits with it until december 31st. I still have to find out how well it works with 2017's though.
Are you ordering direct from the manufacturer? How do credits work... 1 credit = 1 non-standard feature added?
I was planning on ordering through DAP or ECS. DAP has a whole bunch of videos on how the credits work. You use them to program stuff by one click versus long coding. Credits can also be earned by looking at ads in the app.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So after I got my car inspected today I got a quote from their body shop on the scratch repair.

$437 as he wants to redo the whole hatch. Seems very excessive to me. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try a paint pen first or the Dr colorchip that I already have. Although the guy said the paint pens come with a clear coat pen so it might be worth it to try that.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Rode in coworker's Mk7 R today, hadn't been in a Mk7 before. Holy crap that's a lot of little white lights on buttons on the interior. Exhaust sounds much better than expected in race mode. Also: lil shits are quick.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Okay DFD. I am full :dafuq: mode. I was looking at the car the other night and thought "it looks a bit... off". Now I tried to get these measurements as accurate as possible and the driveway is on a very slight incline but what the fuck is up with these numbers? I know it's not perfect but I measured from the ground straight through the center of the wheel and tried to get it as accurate as possible. The rear right is the one that had the strut replaced but I've put nearly 8k on it since the repair so it should have settled.

What the hell is going on with the ride height? The front left is where I first noticed it but it looks a bit higher in person.

Front Right:

Front Left:

Rear Left:

Rear Right:

:plac: or am I going full :caspian:?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Weird ... rear right a full inch higher ?!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:53 pm Weird ... rear right a full inch higher ?!
I know right? I'm due for an oil change soon and I know the dealer is going to tell me to pound sand. Should I still bring it up anyway?

I also have to go back to the body shop Friday because I found out my rear passenger window switch doesn't work and they had to order a new one.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:01 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:53 pm Weird ... rear right a full inch higher ?!
I know right? I'm due for an oil change soon and I know the dealer is going to tell me to pound sand. Should I still bring it up anyway?

I also have to go back to the body shop Friday because I found out my rear passenger window switch doesn't work and they had to order a new one.
Honesty you’re between a rock and a hard place. The dealer won’t know shit because it’s not like they get this type of issue every day vs say a leaky water pump.

The only reason I could think of is something didn’t quite go right in the spring install, and or the subframe shifted. That’s just bizzare
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Honesty you’re between a rock and a hard place. The dealer won’t know shit because it’s not like they get this type of issue every day vs say a leaky water pump.

The only reason I could think of is something didn’t quite go right in the spring install, and or the subframe shifted. That’s just bizzare
Double post.
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I mean, I haven't hit any bumps and my dealer has already done an alignment and DAP recalibration with no mention of a messed up right height.

The car seems to drive fine but this is still weird.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:27 pm Right rear was the damaged one, ja?

:notsure:
Correct. NP did an alignment when I needed the new windshield and they never mentioned anything out of whack.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Does the car have adjustable ride height? Maybe that corner's adjustment is out of whack with the other 3 wheels? :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

That's odd, but I guess a mounting position that got bent a tad and then corrected by alignment could account for it. They don't look at ride height during alignments...

Anything out of whack with the strut tower that you noticed or nah? IDK if you can see those in the car or not.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I can get my jack out and try to lift it but I really don't know what to look for in terms of spring placement.

Can't see the strut tower in the car.

Day I bought the car:

Day I picked it up from the body shop:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

They will try, but an inch? Clearly fucked up. Malfunction of the adjustable dampers?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Always possible in ze Golf.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 pm

They will try, but an inch? Clearly fucked up. Malfunction of the adjustable dampers?
Not sure. They'll tell me off because of the accident as that's the strut that was replaced.
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Always possible in ze Golf.
The dealership doing the mechanical repair work was struggling to get the alignment within spec until they replaced the knuckle. Rear subframe is what they were going to have to replace next. They claimed to have fixed it and done the DAP calibration.

Of course when I got my windshield repaired, my dealer said the alignment was out of spec so who knows what the repairing dealership actually did. Can't trust anybody.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Fresh measurements from the parking garage at work which is definitely flat. Rear right is still a little high.

I don't know what to think.

Front right:

Front Left:

Rear Left:

Rear Right:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Half an inch difference?

I'm with Zil. Check to see if the spring is seated properly. Also look for any leftover rubber spacers.

Otherwise, :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah I mean if you can see the mounting point for the damper, on the top up in the wheel well, that's what I'd be looking at to see if it's bent. Also control arms double check if there's any indication they were bent (cracked paint or something would be a good place to start looking). Compare the left and right sides. If all that checks out, :iono:

The car is holding alignment, yes? Drives normally with no knocks or clunks? I'd probably just :aintcare: and chalk it up to road crown and/or how much gas is in the tank.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Car is holding alignment based on the alignment checks I receive when I get an oil change. The upper control arm was replaced during the repair but not the lower. They said it was fine.

I'll see if I can get it on the lift when I'm at the body shop Friday. I can't really see the upper mount while the car is on the ground. The liner and wheel are in the way.

I will also let them know about the messed up alignment done by the repairing dealership.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:Half an inch difference?

I'm with Zil. Check to see if the spring is seated properly. Also look for any leftover rubber spacers.

Part out??

Do springs take time to settle? My aftermarket mk6 setup took time to drop about a half to 3/4 inch after install.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
Detroit wrote:Half an inch difference?

Part out??

Do springs take time to settle? My aftermarket mk6 setup took time to drop about a half to 3/4 inch after install.
Spring wasn't replaced. Only the strut was and I have about 8k on it since getting the car back.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote:Part out??

Spring wasn't replaced. Only the strut was and I have about 8k on it since getting the car back.

Ahh cool, such a PITA for you man. Hope these guise fix you up.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:49 pm
Tarspin wrote:Part out??

Isn't it a coil over spring setup ? Maybe they turned it wrong? check both sides to see if they are installed identically.