Abarf 2.0: Tales of Joy in a Chick Car

Strut your greasy stuff!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 pm Car won't start, currently waiting in a parking lot for a tow TRUCK to tow it to the dealer. Jump starting is not recommended according to the diller. So it begins.

Fuck.

:rage: :(
so what was wrong with it?? battery related?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:59 pm UPDATE:

I got my car back, it turned out to be the clutch pedal sensor. It failed so the car didn't think that the clutch was depressed and therefore wouldn't start. I also had them fix an interior piece that was loose while it was in, it's nice to have it back.

A lot of guys on the Fiat forums say to buy a 500 Turbo and tune it over buying an Abarth, but after driving one, they're full of it. :bs: It's such a different driving experience, you'd need to dump a ton of money into a 500 Turbo to make it as fun as an Abarth. The suspension was the most noticable difference (other than the exhaust.) The steering wheel was yuuuuge, and the steering was very sloppy and vague in comparison.
ah good to hear.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

dubshow wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 pm Looking at a 2013 500 Abarth with 20k miles for $10k. Seems about right, not stellar steal but good for the region it's local at diller. Might be plac time.

What issues did you have on the 2013? Any pro tips to steer clear of?

:notbad:

The issues that I had with my 2012 was the steering column clunk, and one of the side skirts started to separate from the car. Both items were covered under warranty and are common issues. I would avoid anything modified, a lot of :bruh: s throw random parts on these cars and don't tune for them (catless, bro-off valves, hot air intakes, etc). Every engine failure thread that I've read was started by somebody who crappily modified it, and there are a ton of guys posting pics of their turbros boosting 30+ psi.

These engines are hard on spark plugs, they can need to be replaced every ~30k miles depending on usage. There were minor updates to the engine and ECU in MY2015 that make it more difficult to tune if you're planning on modifying it.

Also, reverse is not synchronized so wait a couple of seconds after depressing the clutch before engaging it.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The Abarth is a pretty thorough re-work in every aspect from the base cars. :wtf: with buying a Turbro and tuning it? That's full :derp:

It's not like Abarth's are :waxer: or anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am The Abarth is a pretty thorough re-work in every aspect from the base cars. :wtf: with buying a Turbro and tuning it? That's full :derp:

Factory leaves so much power on the table.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am The Abarth is a pretty thorough re-work in every aspect from the base cars. :wtf: with buying a Turbro and tuning it? That's full :derp:

I right. I forgot. The OEM engineers are worthless.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am Factory leaves so much power on the table.
They did put the wrong gears, cam, heads, clutch, headers, exhaust, intake, tune, wheels, tires, brakes, sway bars, shocks, springs, seats, and steering wheel on your car...
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am
Detroit wrote: I right. I forgot. The OEM engineers are worthless.
They did put the wrong gears, cam, heads, clutch, headers, exhaust, intake, tune, wheels, tires, brakes, sway bars, shocks, springs, seats, and steering wheel on your car...
Well, kind of. Most :derp: s would drive my car and :nope: out pretty quickly. It's not the most refined experience.

But, wheels, brakes, sway bars, springs and shocks are all factory parts in my car, and I'm pretty pleased with them honestly.

Gears make it way better, but I'm sure that decision was made for FE.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am

Yes, Because I don't work there.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am
Yes, Because I don't work there.
:iswydt:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am They did put the wrong gears, cam, heads, clutch, headers, exhaust, intake, tune, wheels, tires, brakes, sway bars, shocks, springs, seats, and steering wheel on your car...
Well, kind of. Most :derp: s would drive my car and :nope: out pretty quickly. It's not the most refined experience.

But, wheels, brakes, sway bars, springs and shocks are all factory parts in my car, and I'm pretty pleased with them honestly.

:bruh:

Stock is the best. Your car is a busted piece of shit.

You need 3.42s and goodyear run flats.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 am
Detroit wrote: Well, kind of. Most :derp: s would drive my car and :nope: out pretty quickly. It's not the most refined experience.

:bruh:

Stock is the best. Your car is a busted piece of shit.

You need 3.42s and goodyear run flats.
:lolol: :disgust: :nope:
SixSpeeder

:dat:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/fiat-500- ... 1528909170

"You're mainly paying for the Abarth name" :derp: :bs:

Then it goes on to list only some of the expensive parts that you get with the Abarth that you can't cheaply add to a Turbo model. :yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Then it goes on to list only some of the expensive parts that you get with the Abarth that you can't cheaply add to a Turbo model. :yeahok:
:wtf:

I remember reading when the Abarth came out that a bunch of development went into the car as a total. I bought into it...maybe that was :bs: :iono:
SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:38 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 pm

:wtf:

I remember reading when the Abarth came out that a bunch of development went into the car as a total. I bought into it...maybe that was :bs: :iono:
Compared to a Fiat 500 that makes 100 hp, yes, there are obviously many differences other than looks. As far as the Turbo though, it has the same engine as the Abarth but is detuned. In Europe, the Turbo is basically the base model Abarth and the US Abarth is basically Europe's Essesse model, though the guys at SRT made it their own including the exhaust system that gets so much praise (along with a lot of other tweeks to make it more hardcore). Here's some deets:

http://articles.sae.org/10708/
max225

I thought the US 500 is quite different from the Euro 500... due to ours being made in mehico etc... The cars ended up weighing a bit more etc. Not all changes are bad doe. Euro reliability standards are shit because no one drives there.
SixSpeeder

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:39 pm I thought the US 500 is quite different from the Euro 500... due to ours being made in mehico etc... The cars ended up weighing a bit more etc. Not all changes are bad doe. Euro reliability standards are shit because no one drives there.
It is, Chrysler improved a lot of stuff. The car was also modified to meet our crash standards, which is why it's lacking a 6th gear and a synchronized reverse.

The engine is made in the USA (Michigan), final assembly of the car is in :jalepenis: :manuel:

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:lolol:

max225

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:44 pm :lolol:

Woot all those cars have still less displacement than a mid range :doge: charger.

:neek:
SixSpeeder

I'd love to get a DP and tunez, but I don't want to fubar my warranty.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 pm

I'd love to get a DP and tunez, but I don't want to fubar my warranty.
my dillerman said he'd be able to help me with claims and i'll be on extended warranty after august.
SixSpeeder

Updates:

I'm still loving this car, I have no plans to :plac: it any time soon. Some info:

- I'm averaging 28 mpg with mostly city driving, and lots of WOT.
- It burns about half a quart of oil every ~ 1500 miles, which is normal apparently for high rpm operation with this engine, but I don't remember my last one consuming this much oil.
- It eats the front tires, I just rotated them yesterday because the front tires were almost worn out compared to when I bought the car 3500 miles ago, they were closer to having full tread left on them. Now they're almost down to the marker. The rears still had plenty of tread left on them.
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I saw an Abarth on the street yesterday. I felt a little tingle in muh pants.

Would be fun to hoon around. Probably rides worse than my car, lol.
max225

Conceptually I always get confused by pieces as such on cars with non independent suspensions.