Dtraill27's garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

17 Taco

Had this for a month now 3year/36k lease. Currently at 3800 miles because I keep finding reasons to take it places on top of a road trip to SC. Truck has been great since purchase and I find myself enjoying it more than I thought but still in the honeymoon stage. Truck is a base TRD sport with 6 speed manual. Only option was bed cover and tow package. In the past week the clutch pedal started squeaking inside the cabin so that will need to be addressed at the 5k service as well as my steering wheel alignment being slightly too the left. Averaging 18-20 mpg in mixed driving. The average has been climbing the longer I own the truck. Very quiet ride with minimal wind noise, head unit is excellent and very responsive, seats are comfortable and my back was not hurting the entire 12 hour ride home from SC. Do wish the steering wheel was a bit more adjustable but I do have a comfortable driving position. I can see myself sticking out the lease easily. Will be interesting where I'm at when the lease is up, purchasing is a real option but new Ranger will be available. Current plan is to purchase and pick up a cheaper fun car but I may want to get an automatic for my daily first.

Mods:
LED headlights/fogs
Plastidip grill
Front window tint
Hardwired V1
TWM shiftknob
Tailgate letter inserts
V6 badge removal

Plans:
TRD wheels with ko2s
TRD pro grill
hidden lightbar
Roof rack
Side steps
TRD sport decal removal
Plastidip Tacoma side badges

Massive pics

Seats fold flat with plastic backing for doges:

Said doges

GF's

2013 Mercedes C300 45k miles. She's had this just over a year, bought with 33k. Car has been solid since we bought it. Rides nicely and is very quiet. I find it harder to get into than my ST was with the recaros, the seating position is very low and forces me to kind of fall into it.

Beater
98 Mountaineer 132k miles. Bought in 4/15 with 111k. Was the previous hauler/dog mobile when I had the Mustang and ST. Has had a laundry list of work done to it but has only left me stranded 1 time in the 2 years of ownership. Will be sold on craigslist or scrapped at the end of winter, keeping it around for the GF to take to work occasionally when it snows and she doesn't want to take the benz

Repairs:
Tires
AC recharge
Catback exhaust
Front left tie rod
brakes/rotors all around
fuel pump
Transmisson drain/fill
Coolant hose replacements but still leaks

Issues:
Driver side door locks when it wants to doesn't unlock with key 90% of time
sun roof leaks on driver side
bad cat
bad o2 sensors
coolant leak when cold
thud when accelerating under load - cause undetermined leaning towards u joint though
radio does not work
cracked turn signal housing from when i was hit

Bought for 2k probably have about $3500 in repairs into it less the $1600 I got from the accident just under 4k invested so 2k a year to drive this thing. Plus gas/insurance. Even after all that I still loved it, ZFG about it was amazing will be sad to see it go but was not the best investment. Having a nicer daily with a cheaper fun car is the way to go not vice versa.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote:Modding a lease doe. :notsure:
:dat: :wtf:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

All pretty light mods, except maybe the side steps, not sure how involved their installation is. Most of the mods are down the road, need to sell the ST wheels and scrap the mounty. Mod funds will probably be going to an AC system in the house as well
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dat blue
:jimp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Happy for the truck mang, maybe you could also join the :poorvette: bandwagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

MexicanYarisTK wrote:Happy for the truck mang, maybe you could also join the :poorvette: bandwagon

That is a strong possibility but I think ideally I'd like the price range to be lower and could see a Miata or older Mehstang GT
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

dtraill27 wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote:Happy for the truck mang, maybe you could also join the :poorvette: bandwagon

That is a strong possibility but I think ideally I'd like the price range to be lower and could see a Miata or older Mehstang GT
Take a look on the early 2000's cobra, they have IRS from factory, but they don't depreciate like other mustangs.

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Update time.

Yesterday my time with the Mountaineer came to an end. Was in Wilkes-Barre for work and dropping my GFs car at the body shop and at lunch I took the mountaineer to get a set of used tires on to prepare for going to the junk yard this weekend. It had like new Good Year Wranglers on it I'll be able to sell. While driving home the thudding became crazy loud and consistent even at highway speed so I knew it's time had come. I pulled over and waited for a tow to the junk yard. The tow driver said it sounded like something in the transmission or transfer case but definitely was something serious and he wouldn't have driven it any further. got $400 for scrap value plus 2-300 for the tires when I sell them. I broke even on the purchase price and it only cost me repairs to run the car for 2 years and 20k. I got way more use out of it than I ever expected and before yesterday it only left me stranded once. I will definitely miss it.

Tacoma went in for 10k service this morning. It's been rock solid other than the clutch pedal making the occasionally creaking. It's definitely the hinge or spring inside the cabin just cant reproduce the noise on demand for the dealer to be able to diagnose it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 am Update time.

Yesterday my time with the Mountaineer came to an end. Was in Wilkes-Barre for work and dropping my GFs car at the body shop and at lunch I took the mountaineer to get a set of used tires on to prepare for going to the junk yard this weekend. It had like new Good Year Wranglers on it I'll be able to sell. While driving home the thudding became crazy loud and consistent even at highway speed so I knew it's time had come. I pulled over and waited for a tow to the junk yard. The tow driver said it sounded like something in the transmission or transfer case but definitely was something serious and he wouldn't have driven it any further. got $400 for scrap value plus 2-300 for the tires when I sell them. I broke even on the purchase price and it only cost me repairs to run the car for 2 years and 20k. I got way more use out of it than I ever expected and before yesterday it only left me stranded once. I will definitely miss it.

Tacoma went in for 10k service this morning. It's been rock solid other than the clutch pedal making the occasionally creaking. It's definitely the hinge or spring inside the cabin just cant reproduce the noise on demand for the dealer to be able to diagnose it.
:( It's weird the connections we make with certain vehicles.

Had the same clutch squeak with my GTI before I traded the bish in. Thankfully it only happened when it got above ~75* and it wasn't warm enough that day for the dealer to notice. :trollface:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice looking dogs, breh.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 am Update time.

Later Mountaineer!

Time to peruse the poverty 4x4 thread for the next beater truck :jimp:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Later Mountaineer!

Time to peruse the poverty 4x4 thread for the next beater truck :jimp:
I aint got 10k poverty vehicle money. :waxer:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm Toyota clutch creak is normal. :aintcare:
Yeah I'm not too worried about it other than it being annoying sometimes. It usually doesn't do it consistently so nbd. The service tech said the last gen had pretty noisy ones but Toyota supposedly redesigned them.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm Toyota clutch creak is normal. :aintcare:
And its a lease so double :aintcare:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How much does a Taco lease for ? #Askingforafriend
max225

How much does a Taco lease for ? #Askingforafriend
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 am How much does a Taco lease for ? #Askingforafriend
IIRC $400/mo $0 down.
max225

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 am How much does a Taco lease for ? #Askingforafriend
IIRC $400/mo $0 down.
Not horribad.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm
IIRC $400/mo $0 down.
Correct.

I was just looking at swap lease at silverados. Don't know why I didn't think of that when I leased the Taco. 1SMPs out there galore. Maybe theres your poverty 4x4 max
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Dat's badass, and not just for doges. :impressive:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SixSpeeder wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm Image

its a nice feature but id rather just the seat bottom flip up. the headrests have to come out everytime to flip the seats plus it cuts the height in half for loading stuff in there. I do love the plastic on the seat back though
max225

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 pm

its a nice feature but id rather just the seat bottom flip up. the headrests have to come out everytime to flip the seats plus it cuts the height in half for loading stuff in there. I do love the plastic on the seat back though
looks very similar to how my WJ was. I loved the fold flat seats, it carried a ton of shit that way.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Better than the Colorado, very practical. :like:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

So I guess its time for the yearly update.

This Saturday will mark a year with the Taco already. So far it's been a cure for placitis and I don't have any desire to trade it in yet. 28k miles in the year was way more than I expected but I did a fair amount of driving for work as well as 2 trips to SC, Pittsburgh, Rochester, and countless trips to the in laws in NJ. Truck has been fantastic and cost $0 for maintenance with Toyota care. Only warranty complaint was the noisy clutch pedal but that has resolved itself on its own for now. Will be interesting to see if it comes back in the summer as it seems to be a warm weather issue. Added new wheels and AT tires at the beginning of November. Was really not impressed with the stock tires last winter and was not looking forward to trying them with 30k additional miles on them. So far I love the wheels, tires are a bit louder but nothing extreme and have been pleased with the wet grip and off road grip. Still waiting on snow to test the snowflake rating on them. Long term I'm still undecided on what my plan of action will be. I'm currently still leaning towards buying out the lease and then getting an ND Miata down the line but I'm also still considering an STi or an outside chance I go full scrooge with an Accord or something. Next on this list is selling the stock wheels/tires/TPMS

Mod list so far:
LED headlights/fogs
Tailgate letter insert
Tint
Plastidip grill
17x9 XD301's
265 65 17 Kumho AT 51s

Mods I still have in mind:
TRD Pro grill
Side steps
Lightbar in grill
Sidebadge plastidip/remove not sure which yet