The Official 4zilch Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm Thoughts of the day. NC2 + Transit Connect or Nissan NV200 + dedicated track bike.
I prefer the transit connect over the nv200.

:notbad: idea
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm Thoughts of the day. NC2 + Transit Connect or Nissan NV200 + dedicated track bike.
:notbad:

:notbad: at all.

I mean... you could awning the transit and have super easy trackday setup / pickup.
That would be :tits:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm

:notbad: at all.

I mean... you could awning the transit and have super easy trackday setup / pickup.

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That's what I was thinking before deciding that being heli-vac'ed away from a track was not going to be fun. It's a :fuckyeah: setup.

IIRC the ProMaster City actually has the most cargo space, but it's a Fiat...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Found some TD PR1.2 15x8 in stock for the FiST in the U.S. :jimp:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am Found some TD PR1.2 15x8 in stock for the FiST in the U.S. :jimp:
:doit:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:18 am
4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am Found some TD PR1.2 15x8 in stock for the FiST in the U.S. :jimp:
It's being considered; I'm not really prepared to :troywax: but I feel like I should jump on these.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 am
:fuckyeah:

I'd love a set of 16x8s on the R53.
I'd be interested in the current R53 wheels if you do that...
Apex

:doit: :stig: setup!
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:46 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 pm

I'd be interested in the current R53 wheels if you do that...
Oh yeah?

:math:
Let me toss them on the 🎃 to see how they look?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

mountune also has 15% off for the holiday :troywax:
Apex

FiST goes :plaid:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Down the Fiesta suspension rabbit hole.

Been looking at aftermarket springs with Koni yellows or Bilstein B6/8, as well as handful of coilovers options.

Trying to get a bit more performance while maintaining near stock ride height (because trailer geometry) has proven to be challenging. At least coilovers give me that adjustability but are obviously a bit more :waxer: and also often include more things that I don't really care about (camber plates).

I could do a reasonable fixed drop if I could flip the axle on the trailer :math:
Apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am Down the Fiesta suspension rabbit hole.

Been looking at aftermarket springs with Koni yellows or Bilstein B6/8, as well as handful of coilovers options.

Trying to get a bit more performance while maintaining near stock ride height (because trailer geometry) has proven to be challenging. At least coilovers give me that adjustability but are obviously a bit more :waxer: and also often include more things that I don't really care about (camber plates).

I could do a reasonable fixed drop if I could flip the axle on the trailer :math:
What about going with a performance shock with stock springs? Keeps stock ride height.

Flipping the trailer axle doesn't sound like a horrific idea if you want to lower the FiST a bit doe.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am Down the Fiesta suspension rabbit hole.

What about going with a performance shock with stock springs? Keeps stock ride height.

Flipping the trailer axle doesn't sound like a horrific idea if you want to lower the FiST a bit doe.
:dat: honestly stiffer isn't always the answer on a street car. Often times its WORSE. going to super high rates on coils could hurt the handling.

The FIST has good rates IMHO. I'd look into better shocks and better roll control VIA sway bar upgrades.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 am
Apex wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am

:dat: honestly stiffer isn't always the answer on a street car. Often times its WORSE. going to super high rates on coils could hurt the handling.

The FIST has good rates IMHO. I'd look into better shocks and better roll control VIA sway bar upgrades.
The issue seems to be (if one believes the internets) that the FiST is over-damped and undersprung and is the primary reason why the ride is so harsh. Opinions appear to be pretty universal in improved ride quality with stiffer springs along with improved dampening. That said, I'll need to do a bit of researched re: stock springs w/ dampers. Lowering the car w/ springs/dampers (assuming proper spring/damper pairing) would improve handling due to lower COG.

Sway bar opinions are all over the placed, but to be fair there's not a lot of people doing A-B-A testing while swapping 1 component at a time. Conventional thinking says installing a thicker FSB would induce understeer tendencies (FiST rarely understeers as is), installing a RSB make make it a bit more tail happy :doe: :stig:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

All this talk of suspension nonsense, what's that party getting a proper diff?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:37 am All this talk of suspension nonsense, what's that party getting a proper diff?
I did find, what appears to be, a quality helical diff for under $700.

But damnit, I don't feel like installing it, and I def. don't want to pay some hack to do it. :baby:

Though truth be told it's probably best performance per dollar mod someone could do for a FiST.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

FISTING INTENSIFIES.
Apex

All this diff talk. :jelly:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am FISTING INTENSIFIES.
So many improper gifs come to mind.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Axle flip on trailer appears to be very do-able, with albeit limited spring travel before the axle hits the frame :aintcare: . Stock fenders will need to go, but that's NBD. Hubs need to be pulled to verify, perhaps an experiment this weekend.
Apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:08 pm Axle flip on trailer appears to be very do-able, with albeit limited spring travel before the axle hits the frame :aintcare: . Stock fenders will need to go, but that's NBD. Hubs need to be pulled to verify, perhaps an experiment this weekend.
:fuckyeah: :stig: :tinytrailer:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:48 am
stripethree wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:37 am All this talk of suspension nonsense, what's that party getting a proper diff?

But damnit, I don't feel like installing it, and I def. don't want to pay some hack to do it. :baby:

Though truth be told it's probably best performance per dollar mod someone could do for a FiST.
I'd do it
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:48 am

I'd do it
If I had a lift (or if Sno's brother hadn't talked my FIL out of putting a lift in his new garage), I'd be moar open to taking the job on. Pulling a trans, with the car on jack stands, doesn't interest me much.