General Plane Talk

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote:And talking about rear heavy, any of you old enough to have flown on 727's or DC10's? Or, and this is really reaching back, the Lockheed L-1011? Image
yeah I flew on an old trijet back in 2009. It was a charter that the NCAA gave us. I couldn't believe it was still in service...it was clearly from the 70s based on the interior (brown on brown on brown)
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote:
rockchops wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 pm yeah I flew on an old trijet back in 2009. It was a charter that the NCAA gave us. I couldn't believe it was still in service...it was clearly from the 70s based on the interior (brown on brown on brown)
Oh man I'm very jealous of that
It was an experience I guess...extremely loud, rough flying plane. Seats had seen better days. We were also heading to Detroit in March, which was not really encouraging.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

rockchops wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 pm
wap wrote:And talking about rear heavy, any of you old enough to have flown on 727's or DC10's? Or, and this is really reaching back, the Lockheed L-1011? Image
yeah I flew on an old trijet back in 2009. It was a charter that the NCAA gave us. I couldn't believe it was still in service...it was clearly from the 70s based on the interior (brown on brown on brown)
:disgust: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

rockchops wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Oh man I'm very jealous of that
It was an experience I guess...extremely loud, rough flying plane. Seats had seen better days. We were also heading to Detroit in March, which was not really encouraging.
:dat:
Cool looking planes, doe.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Flew to and from Vegas this weekend in an Embraer E135.

The semi-private experience with Jetsuite X was pretty awesome. 30 people on the plane and no TSA to deal with. :like:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:55 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 pm Flew to and from Vegas this weekend in an Embraer E135.

The semi-private experience with Jetsuite X was pretty awesome. 30 people on the plane and no TSA to deal with. :like:
They were doing $75 promos about a year ago between LA and Vegas. I was tempted to fly out just to try it. How was it?
Pretty awesome for the convenience factor. The seats are plain Jane, no frills. Free drinks and snacks. You get to show up within 15 minutes of takeoff and never have to deal with TSA. Just have a photo ID on you and you're good to go.

We flew from Concord, Ca to Vegas and it took just under an hour. Flying back we were diverted to Oakland due to weather and the runway conditions and they got us a luxury shuttle back to Concord. Total boarding time was about 5 minutes and another 5 for safety info and we were on the runway taking off.

The planes are pretty quiet and the flights were fast. The crew was really cool as well and very friendly.

I'm not sure about the deals, for our flights it was about the price of a flight in 1st class on the normal carriers, but so much easier. We are going back in March and September and will be taking them again.
wap

Inevitable, I suppose, but I'm a bit :( that I'll probably never get to fly one.
https://news.yahoo.com/airbus-pulls-plu ... 51050.html
Airbus pulls plug on costly A380 superjumbo
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:24 pm
wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 am Inevitable, I suppose, but I'm a bit :( that I'll probably never get to fly one.
It's too bad. Just the wrong bet at the wrong time.
Yep.

Makes Boeing's decision to concentrate on smaller 2-aisle and regional jets look that much smarter.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm
wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Yep.

Makes Boeing's decision to concentrate on smaller 2-aisle and regional jets look that much smarter.
The 787 was the best bet possible.
Truf
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 am Inevitable, I suppose, but I'm a bit :( that I'll probably never get to fly one.
Airbus pulls plug on costly A380 superjumbo
It may be dead but it’ll fly for many, many years so there’ll be many opportunities to fly on one still.
Emirates for example have over 100 in their fleet.

I hope to fly on one with LH or SQ sometimes soon.
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 pm
It may be dead but it’ll fly for many, many years so there’ll be many opportunities to fly on one still.
Emirates for example have over 100 in their fleet.

I hope to fly on one with LH or SQ sometimes soon.
I have to wait for ORD to be able to handle them first, :doe:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I have to wait for ORD to be able to handle them first, :doe:
Thoon
Thuppothedly, but being on a flight path we get all news of airport/runway upgrades and I haven't specifically heard of 380-ready runway construction - yet.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Thuppothedly, but being on a flight path we get all news of airport/runway upgrades and I haven't specifically heard of 380-ready runway construction - yet.
It's the gates that's the issue. They've landed a few there with no issue.
Yes, I didn't realize they had already. I thought runways had to be upgraded too to deal with the massive weight. Guess I was :wrong:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:46 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Yes, I didn't realize they had already. I thought runways had to be upgraded too to deal with the massive weight. Guess I was :wrong:
Shockingly it's about 20% less that a 747 - mainly due to the composite construction
:mindblown:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

B737-600 at GOT

SAS are one of the few who are still flying an already rare bird - the 737-600, also known as the Piglet.
I've flown on it once to Geneva and again before the picture was taken, from Gothenburg to Stockholm.

Apparently only WestJet of Canada fly these in North America and only 69 were made according to Wikipedia.
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:01 pm Image
B737-600 at GOT

SAS are one of the few who are still flying an already rare bird - the 737-600, also known as the Piglet.
I've flown on it once to Geneva and again before the picture was taken, from Gothenburg to Stockholm.

Apparently only WestJet of Canada fly these in North America and only 69 were made according to Wikipedia.
:neat:
I like SAS. A lot.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:07 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:01 pm Image
B737-600 at GOT

I like SAS. A lot.
Their business class is pretty darn good but they’ve done some weird recent changes to their economy and premium economy classes.

Where did you fly with them?
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 am
wap wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:07 pm

I like SAS. A lot.
Their business class is pretty darn good but they’ve done some weird recent changes to their economy and premium economy classes.

Such as?

I've flown them to Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, and I don't remember where else.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 am
Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 am

Such as?

I've flown them to Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, and I don't remember where else.
They’ve decreased the mileage earnings for Economy longhaul flights with up to 96%.
I can agree that it’s been a bit too generous but now you’ll get more mileage points flying a domestic route in Economy than in certain Economy booking classes to LAX.

In Premium Economy (SAS Plus) on Longhaul you’re asked to order all your drinks for your meals at once as apparently they can’t be arsed to do an extra round to serve drinks.
Worth mentioning that on longer inter-european flights (>1.5h) they’ll often do more than one round with the trolley but not on a 11h flight from
Stockholm to LAX.

Sometimes I’m not sure if SAS actually wants to offer a decent package expected from a reputable airline, or if they’d rather try to compete with LCCs like Norwegian.
Either way, they’re not doing a particularly good job at either.
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 am
Such as?

They’ve decreased the mileage earnings for Economy longhaul flights with up to 96%.
I can agree that it’s been a bit too generous but now you’ll get more mileage points flying a domestic route in Economy than in certain Economy booking classes to LAX.

In Premium Economy (SAS Plus) on Longhaul you’re asked to order all your drinks for your meals at once as apparently they can’t be arsed to do an extra round to serve drinks.
Worth mentioning that on longer inter-european flights (>1.5h) they’ll often do more than one round with the trolley but not on a 11h flight from
Stockholm to LAX.

Sometimes I’m not sure if SAS actually wants to offer a decent package expected from a reputable airline, or if they’d rather try to compete with LCCs like Norwegian.
Interesting. As they're a Star Alliance member I've always gotten the same mileage points from them as I have from United, Lufthansa, LOT, etc. But I haven't flown them for a few years so maybe it's changed? :iono:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:15 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Stockholm to LAX.

Interesting. As they're a Star Alliance member I've always gotten the same mileage points from them as I have from United, Lufthansa, LOT, etc. But I haven't flown them for a few years so maybe it's changed? :iono:
It was done sometime during fall and for flights booked after October 1st.

Any Economy ticket started at 3000 but will now give you 1600, which is actually more in line what you’ll get from the other *A airlines.
Their “Go Light” tickets on the other hand, which is Economy without checked bag, will now only give you a laughable 200 points today.
As comparison, my Stockholm-Copenhagen flight on Wednesday in SAS Plus (Prem Eco) will give me 750p (x1.25).

I won’t complain too much though as I’m flying SAS business to DC in March. :fancy:
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:12 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:15 pm

It was done sometime during fall and for flights booked after October 1st.

Any Economy ticket started at 3000 but will now give you 1600, which is actually more in line what you’ll get from the other *A airlines.
Their “Go Light” tickets on the other hand, which is Economy without checked bag, will now only give you a laughable 200 points today.
As comparison, my Stockholm-Copenhagen flight on Wednesday in SAS Plus (Prem Eco) will give me 750p (x1.25).

I won’t complain too much though as I’m flying SAS business to DC in March. :fancy:
:wtf: That's :fullretard:

Mileage Plus advertises 1 point per mile flown on Star Alliance members. I haven't received any notice of a change. I'll really have to pay attention next time I book with SAS. Thanks for the heads-up.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:51 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:47 pm

:wtf: That's :fullretard:

Mileage Plus advertises 1 point per mile flown on Star Alliance members. I haven't received any notice of a change. I'll really have to pay attention next time I book with SAS. Thanks for the heads-up.
If you're claiming them in Mileage Plus you might be ok. Often internal changes don't impact alliance miles.
Ah. Makes sense. Danke :like:
wap

I just used some back in September to fly to Switzerland and had no surprises.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 pm I am getting very concerned about the the 737 max 8. Two crashes in several months on one of the most reliable and safest airframes of all time? There is an issue here
New software update, iirc. More pilot training is the answer.