YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO READ THIS THREAD!!! TRAVEL DEALZZZ

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

09vdubgti wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Sweet! What was in it?
usual, lip balm, hand cream, face cream from Blue Lagoon. Socks, really nice eye covers (dont know what they're called), tooth brush and paste and floss. Presentation was really nice they wrapped them inside a black icelandair wax paper wrapped in a bow.
Cool! It's called a sleep mask.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

09vdubgti wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm And speaking of Iceland, here's another :notbad: deal from Gate 1:

https://www.gate1travel.com/thedeal/171 ... da6456320b
Thats a good deal.

Which also reminds me, my passport has expired.
Renew that bish!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Well, gf and I got round trip flights to Ireland yesterday on Aer Lingus for $577/each minus $5XX she has in points on her travel CC, so about $300/each :notbad: in4 :mahtroy: :rage:

Only downside is that we have to connect at JFucK.

We will be in Ireland for 4-5 days and want to check out another country for the rest of the trip.

We're thinking either Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany right now. Suggestions?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

09vdubgti wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 pm Speaking of Icelandair, I just got this. Gift from a friend who works for the airline.

Don't know why, but I love amenity kits. Have a little collection.

dat design on the cover is pretty sick! Many other airlines are so plain looking with their logo.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am Well, gf and I got round trip flights to Ireland yesterday on Aer Lingus for $577/each minus $5XX she has in points on her travel CC, so about $300/each :notbad: in4 :mahtroy: :rage:

We will be in Ireland for 4-5 days and want to check out another country for the rest of the trip.

That's a 5/7 :unicorn: deal! Well done. I've never flown Air :lickit: but I hope to make it to Ireland some day sooer rather than later.

How many days do you have to spend outside of Ireland?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am Well, gf and I got round trip flights to Ireland yesterday on Aer Lingus for $577/each minus $5XX she has in points on her travel CC, so about $300/each :notbad: in4 :mahtroy: :rage:

I'll rank em

1. Germany
2. Netherlands (or 1 if you're down for weed, legal there at coffee shops)
3. Switzerland (it's nice but boring, Germany has more fun atmosphere)

Waiting for pics at travel thread.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I'll rank em

1. Germany

Generally agree with this list with one possible modification. If Griff only has a couple days extra to go somewhere else I'd suggest Amsterdam over somewhere like Berlin or Munich only because those cities really need more time to do them. Amsterdam is awesome and fun but small enough to catch the highlights in just a couple/few days.

Possible alternatives:
Lisbon
Copenhagen
Reykjavik
Warsaw or Krakow
Prague
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I'll rank em

1. Germany

Generally agree with this list with one possible modification. If Griff only has a couple days extra to go somewhere else I'd suggest Amsterdam over somewhere like Berlin or Munich only because those cities really need more time to do them. Amsterdam is awesome and fun but small enough to catch the highlights in just a couple/few days.

Possible alternatives:
Lisbon
Copenhagen
Reykjavik
Warsaw or Krakow
Prague
Ah yess Lisbon, that is on the bucket list! I'll pretty much feel at home there

I also loved Germany, especially that Turkish town in Berlin (and everything else), but it's pretty much a :mahtroy: place (kind of like south beach but less crowded, less sluts), people flooring their 2008ish Audi's and smells weed. But they have some nice restaurants.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Good thoughts, guys, thanks! 4-5ish days outside of Ireland. I'll look into these suggestions.

I have actually flown with Aer Lingus once back in 2007, my first trip to Europe (Ireland only). England and Ireland are the only Euro destinations I've visited.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:29 pm Good thoughts, guys, thanks! 4-5ish days outside of Ireland. I'll look into these suggestions.

I have actually flown with Aer Lingus once back in 2007, my first trip to Europe (Ireland only). England and Ireland are the only Euro destinations I've visited.
:word:
Scotland is pretty cool, too, but I like the idea of you getting onto the continent.
Hmmm, if you have 4-5 extra days that opens up a ton of possibilities:
Athens
Vienna
Munich
Venice
Florence
Barcelona
Paris
Brussels
Stockholm
Oslo
Bergen
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:29 pm Good thoughts, guys, thanks! 4-5ish days outside of Ireland. I'll look into these suggestions.

Scotland is pretty cool, too, but I like the idea of you getting onto the continent.
Athens
Vienna
Munich
Venice
Florence
Barcelona
Paris
Brussels
Stockholm
Oslo
Bergen
What areas did you find to have the most natural beauty/interesting geography? Generally we're a lot more into that than city exploration, but cities are also cool, and these will certainly be more interesting for me than all of the US cities that I've been to numerous times. I guess what I mean is, we'd probably enjoy beautiful landscapes, architecture and stuff like that more than a great museum or food scene.

Honestly, I don't know a ton about much of Europe, I've seen a lot of people's travel pictures from France, England, Italy... and my dad lived in Germany for six years so I'm a bit more familiar with it. The other countries are largely unknowns to me.

Agree with you that Scotland would be neat, but I'd rather see something a bit more different, as this will be my third trip to the UK and I haven't been anywhere else in Europe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, we're hoping to return to Europe sooner rather than later for to explore Italy and the southern and eastern regions would likely be par of that trip, which is why I didn't really express as much interest in them this time.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:58 am

Athens
Vienna
Munich
Venice
Florence
Barcelona
Paris
Brussels
Stockholm
Oslo
Bergen
What areas did you find to have the most natural beauty/interesting geography? Generally we're a lot more into that than city exploration, but cities are also cool, and these will certainly be more interesting for me than all of the US cities that I've been to numerous times. I guess what I mean is, we'd probably enjoy beautiful landscapes, architecture and stuff like that more than a great museum or food scene.

Honestly, I don't know a ton about much of Europe, I've seen a lot of people's travel pictures from France, England, Italy... and my dad lived in Germany for six years so I'm a bit more familiar with it. The other countries are largely unknowns to me.

Agree with you that Scotland would be neat, but I'd rather see something a bit more different, as this will be my third trip to the UK and I haven't been anywhere else in Europe.
Athens has that parthenon, and it's a seaside city, pretty nice mellow area. Food are great.

Barcelona is also beautiful, and surrounding places as well, like Salou.

Paris has some nice architecture like Eiffel and few other stuff. Pretty nice city to walk around, and you'll see lot of expensive cars on the streets too.

Florence is also up there,
can't really speak for the rest.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 am

Athens has that parthenon, and it's a seaside city, pretty nice mellow area. Food are great.

Barcelona is also beautiful, and surrounding places as well, like Salou.

Paris has some nice architecture like Eiffel and few other stuff. Pretty nice city to walk around, and you'll see lot of expensive cars on the streets too.

Florence is also up there,
can't really speak for the rest.
Agree on the above.
If you're looking for natural beauty as much as cultural, Iceland has some awesome day long bus tours out of Reykjavik that take you to waterfalls, geysers, glaciers, hot springs, etc. You get a bit of (small) city vibe in Reykjavik plus :mindblown: natural scenery.
https://guidetoiceland.is/best-of-icela ... den-circle
We did the bus tour but there are sights that talk about renting a car and driving it yourself which sounds totally 5/7. The roads are good and not crowded.

Austria has a beautiful mountainous countryside, think of Sound of Music outside of Saltzberg, as does southern Germany. Munich is near great mountain roads and a drive to somewhere like Rothenberg (a neat little midieval town) along the Romantic Road would be awesome. We took a train there but a drive should be fantastic as well. http://www.romanticroadgermany.com/
http://www.romanticroadgermany.com/rothenburg/index.php

How about a Greek island? There are several that now have direct flights from London, otherwise fly to Athens for a day or 2 of culture and food then head to an island for scenery, beaches, culture, ruins, etc. Naxos, Paros, Skiathos, Rhodes, Santorini, Corfu, Zakynthos, Crete, among others all have their own airports, many with direct flights from several European cities.
wap

Athens
Vienna
Munich
Venice
Florence
Barcelona
Paris
Brussels
Stockholm
Oslo
Bergen

Also, getting out of Oslo gets you into some :mindblown: natural beauty. We did this train/train/bus/boat-on-a-fjiord/train trip to Bergen and back and it was amazing.
https://www.norwaytours.no/en/vacation- ... our-rwn04/
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Buying dem euro trip tix soon. Looks like $2500 total for us both. Houston to Heathrow/London. 3.5 days then Easy jet to Venice. 1.5 weeks then fly out of Rome back to houston.

The weekend before is F1 at COTA in austin. So Yeah. Friday - Austin. Monday Houston to the UK. :megusta:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Italy ... 4d12.56738
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Anyone have any good :dills: on lodging in the UK?

I have like 2 credit cards, neither being ideal "travel cards". 1 has a low limit and the other is a gap clothes card.

1. I need a card I can get some cereal point on quickly
2. Card needs to have the travel protections over seas (not a bunch of bogus perks I'll never use or jump through hoops to make claims)
3. im real opposed to fees like on amex but am open minded if the money works.
4. i spend $1200-2k per month avg on CC now.

so far im looking at cap one or the equivalent chase sapphire. both should have around a $10k limit.

anything the hive mind of DFD can suggest?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 am Anyone have any good :dills: on lodging in the UK?

I have like 2 credit cards, neither being ideal "travel cards". 1 has a low limit and the other is a gap clothes card.

2. Card needs to have the travel protections over seas (not a bunch of bogus perks I'll never use or jump through hoops to make claims)

so far im looking at cap one or the equivalent chase sapphire. both should have around a $10k limit.

when i flew a lot my barclays airline card was good. Usually get a boatload of miles for signing up. That plus all your flights might get you a free trip somewhere else
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Seems like the chase sapphire is a good fit with the 50k bonus sign up points. then 1.25 incentive to use points on travel. plus no int fees.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 am Anyone have any good :dills: on lodging in the UK?

Do you have one airline you can be loyal to?

Chase Sapphire is great if not.
Airline cards are excellent for miles if you want just miles and you want to be dedicated to one brand.
nope, thats part of the problem. I fly out of 2 different cities and no great airline. My flights are too sporadic. Id liek to be loyal to southwest but they arent always the best option.
wap

I've had a Chas Mileage Plus card for years but I'm gonna cancel it soon because I just signed up for a Cap One Venture One for 2 reasons: No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, which add up quick if you travel overseas at all.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm
wap wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm I've had a Chas Mileage Plus card for years but I'm gonna cancel it soon because I just signed up for a Cap One Venture One for 2 reasons: No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, which add up quick if you travel overseas at all.
:dat: is what I have too
:fuckyeah: The :[user not found]: seal of approval.
wap

As to this question, I've stayed at this place twice now, and found the second time that the place has been improved a lot. It's run by :amir: but the Indian restaurant is off the charts :drool: . It's also in Kensington, a great neighborhood, and is a very short walk from the Glaucester Road Tube stop, which is on several lines including the Jubilee Line which gets you directly to and from Heathrow. It's also on the District and Circle lines and those 3 will get you to most places you'd want to go in London. You can also walk to the Victoria and Albert and Natural History museums, if you're so inclined. There are also a couple of decent money exchange offices near by and a Waitrose and Boots (pharmacy and grocery store) across the street and a Sainsbury's (supermarket) down Cromwell road. which can all be handy to be near.

http://www.montanahotel.co.uk/

For my money, the Kensington/South Kensington area is about the best place to stay in London. I've stayed at 3 other hotels near here and this one had the best :dill: twice now. Don't know how the :dill: s are now, didn't check.

ymmv, etc.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Everytime this comes up I recommend AMEX BLUE cash preferred. $75 annual fee but it pays you 6% back on groceries up to 5000/year and everybody has to eat. If you eat 5 grand worth of groceries/year that's +225 net on that alone. Varying cashback on other things, base is 1%

You won't like this waxer idea but the money works if you travel a bunch.
AMEX Platinum is a $550 annual fee BUT pays you back $200/year on the airline of your choice for bag fees and incidental gouging, gets you into most airport lounges, that saves $$$$ every time you don't have a $50 bill at airport eateries. ENORMOUS AMOUNTS of perks with this card you can read all about it. Its a charge card doe, can't carry a balance. No foreign currency charges.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm

:dat: is what I have too
:fuckyeah: The :[user not found]: seal of approval.
perfect, i didnt realize it was fee free. i might have to look at it. Im :disgust: at signing up for a credit card.